• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are reservations really necessary?

JillM

Hi all

I'll be heading off from Le Puy some time around the end of May. I've read so many posts where people talk about having to book ahead for accommodation, I'd love some feedback...

I have guidebooks, and I understand the need to plan ahead enough so that I know in which town/location I can lay my head at the end of my walk each day.

I really, really, really don't want to book ahead for accommodation, because for me this brings the pilgrimage back to being like any other trip where I have to plan and make phone calls and book accommodation ahead of time. I just want to wake, walk and find somewhere to stay wherever I arrive at the end of my day. And I don't want to rush to be somewhere by 1pm so that I can secure a bed. I want to walk without timeframes.

Is this feasible at this time of year (May, June, July)?
Will my chances be increased if I carry a sleeping mat with me and am willing to sleep on floors, especially through France?

Thank you all so much in advance... :?
Jill

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi
It is not necessary to make reservation a long time before. The best is to make reservation between 1 and 3 days before. So you are free and not obliged to respect a program make a long time before, you can make changes because of the weather or if you are tired.
But I think that it's good to book because your mind is free about "shall I find a bed to day ?".
Air matless is not usefull. You will always find a place to sleep.
Have a nice way.
ULTREIA
André
Gîte Hospitalet Saint Jacques Aire sur l'Adour

HI Jill,
We have walked the Le Puy route over three years,usually in May, last year in June. May is regarded as the most crowded time due to French public holiday weekends. I think you could take a chance on not booking if you really feel strongly about it but you might find yourself in difficulties occasionally. The route is a GR route,that is a french walking way, as well as a pilgrimage route so the accommodation is not solely for pilgrims or though it is a wonderfully historic pilgrim way. The french often just go for a week's walking on the Chemin and book ahead. This puts pressure on places. I think most people book at least a day in advance. The most problematic time would be weekends. The accommodation is generally very good, the "gites" or hostels are generally smaller than their Spanish equivalents but there are usually several alternatives in any of the main stopping places as well as some beautiful places in the middle of the countryside. I would suggest you take the Miam Miam dodo guide which is the best for accommodation and plan from day to day. It is one of the most scenic of the Camino routes, in my opinion and I am sure you will love it.
Enjoy,
Anna

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Jill,
It is possible to walk in France without reservations, but is really is not recommended. Upwards of 85% of the other walkers are French, and they will almost invariably call the day before for reservations. So, they will call Monday noon for Tuesday night. The French also often will walk in groups, sometimes 6 - 8 or even 10. Add to that the lodgings are smaller places than Spain (most gites had 12-15 beds, the large ones had 20-25, chamber d'hotes often have only 4 or 6). And, since there are fewer walkers than in Spain, there are fewer accommodations.

So, as you can see, your competition makes reservations, and there is not a lot of excess capacity in most towns. Arriving by 1 pm will make no difference if everyone else has already reserved.

One strategy that will help you, if you truly do not want to make reservations at all, is to start in the middle of the week. Most walkers will start from the common starting points on the weekends, so avoiding those wave-peaks reduces your competition.

Why don't you try an approach that you are comfortable with, and see if it works for you? And then make adjustments in your procedure once you see how successful things are.

We walked in June 2 years ago Jill and had no problems.
You must have the MMDD and if you are flexible and $$ are not a problem you will be ok.
We made sure we were in the bigger towns or where there are nearby gites on the weekend and this will be a wonderful camino.
There are many villages with great markets on weekends so walk your camino mate.
It is really beautiful thus the slower the better.
We loved the early stages just doing the 15-18km days before we increased the km's .

** When after a few weeks you get to Andre's in Aire sur l'Adour he will give you a great list for the remainder of the walk.
In his back yard under the trees , with food from the market is ...........enjoy.
We had personal problems we had to attend urgently when on the camino and he allowed us to stay 2 nights after we returned from the Uk , even picking us up from the bus . A wonderful couple.
Enjoy this beautiful way Jill,
David

Hi, Jill!

I walked from Le Puy-en-Velay to Santiago de Compostela last year (18 August to 27 October 2011). I started without making any reservations for the first 3 days until a fellow pilgrim, Ronnie suggested that I better make reservations. I took his suggestion and did not have to worry where I have to lay my head for the night.

Making reservations ahead took the worry away from me and made me walk more leisurely, assured that I have a place to rest for the night.

In Spain I did not make any reservations except for the last 100 kilometers starting from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela.

Well, what is good with the Camino is that we can adjust to what whatever suits us the best - with or without reservations.

Buen Camino,
Manny D.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dear Jill,
We are currently walking the Le Puy route. There have been places that not even one person can get a bed, so yes it is wise to book ahead a day or two in advance.
An example of this is today we went to book for the communal gite in Auvillar for tomorrow. It was already booked out by 10.00am.
Sharon

May is the big month in France for the walking public .
The GR65 is a very popular path .
In June last year we had no problems but we avoided the recommended stages.
Enjoy this beautiful route and get home safe mate,
David

I just returned...walking from Le Puy to SJPP and on into Spain.
We did make reservations each night in France and found that often our origianal choice was complete. The Gites are usually not very large and it does not take much to fill them up on a given night. There were many groups walking together who would fill up a Gite.
It is true however that a single person would stand a much better chance without reservation but it would be very difficult in most cases to even find the Gite at the end of your walking day.
Take the MMDD without fail. I was not convinced of this before I left but soon found that it is very important.

We (wife and I) are looking at commencing our trip from le Puy at the start of September.
Like Jill , we wanted to be 'free' and flexible and not book ahead . I understand that May/June might be problematic.
Does that go for September as well , or are most of the French walker back at work.?

Great tip about starting mid week as well.

I would think that you will be able to judge whether reservations are a good idea after a few days. You could start from Le Puy without and see how it works out. I am pretty sure you will be able to find a bed at night...but it may not be where you preferred.
The other problem on this route is that the Gites are often hard to find and not just on the main street of a village...or even in the village itself. In Spain, the accommodations are usually on the Camino or at least well advertised. In France, this was not usually the case.
The MMDD guide was very helpful in finding the Gites, etc.

September is even more popular for walking in France than May, as the returnees give the children back to their parents and go walking themselves. I walked the Le Puy route in Sept of 2010 and Sept of 2011, and the gites were almost always full. I made reservations by email about 3 months in advance (my French is quite limited and I was looking for space in English-speaking establishments). That being said, fellow walkers who were more conversant in French were generally (not always) able to find places with a bit of effort. Then there was the night one friend ended up with the snoring pig ...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi

I have the same problem: Dont want to plan too much. We are starting on a Thursday and are cycling the via Podensis. With cycling you do different distances and it is easy enough to add 10-15km maybe to the day if you have to go to the next place?

We are leaving in one week and are considering booking only the first nights accomodation. What do you think?

It seems like peak season on the GR65 lasts from May to September... People are telling that May is a busy month and people are telling the same about August and September. Or is June/July still a bit more quiet?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As I recall hearing, June is not bad; no French holiday weekends and school is still in session. Watch out for the heat in August though.

Hi, In Spain. In May and first half of June.
you can not book Albergue But in the second half of June and July there are too many pilgrims. In Spain there are Abergues that allow book. There are also hostels and hotels according to the size of the population. Within the Youth Abergues have information about the following.
Nobody stays in the street.
When many people are prepared sports centers and churches.
The best months to do the Camino to Santiago are March April May September and October.
Do not do it during Holy Week, too many people.
Buen Camino to Santiago.
Ultreya.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Luka said:
It seems like peak season on the GR65 lasts from May to September... People are telling that May is a busy month and people are telling the same about August and September. Or is June/July still a bit more quiet?
My friends with a gîte in Moissac on the Le Puy route have told me that May is their busiest month of the year. Things quieten down a bit in June, and there are not many walkers in July and August. Then September is their second busiest month of the year. The main reason for this is that most walkers on the Le Puy route are French, and many of them help look after their grandchildren during the summer school holidays. Also, May is full of public holidays in France, and if these days fall close to a weekend, people often choose to walk from one public holiday 'long weekend' to the next.

This means that in May you do probably want to reserve, at least a day ahead, and you might also find it better to do that in September. In June you might find it easier to take your chances, but if you happen to coincide with a French 'group', you might find you have to take more expensive options like a chambre d'hote (bed and breakfast type of accommodation- if the gite is full.
Margaret

Yes, and even if you DO have reservations, they are not guaranteed, as we found out last year. You must call and reconfirm a day before and if you are smart, you will carry a sleeping bag just in case.

@Annie: You had trouble with reservations not being honored in France? Was there some unusual circumstance, like a late arrival, no deposit when one was requested, or somesuch?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back