• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are reseverations needed in Late-April/May?

Armin

Time of past OR future Camino
first time
My wife and I are planning on walking the Camino from Porto to SdC starting in late April 2019. We have 6 weeks and plan to walk other sections once we complete the walk from Porto. We have made hotel reservations for the first few days after our arrival in Porto to allow time for recovering from jet lag (coming from western Canada). We are hoping to do a relaxed, no-schedule walk, walking as far, or as little, as we feel each day. Hence, we are hoping to find accommodations when we feel we have gone as far as we want for the day. Maybe book one day ahead if needed. The plan is to stay in hotels and B&B's, not albergues. We prefer private rooms with ensuite. Our accommodations budget is currently €70/day but are hoping to spend less if possible. Does this sound realistic or will finding accommodations be a problem? Should we be booking several days or weeks ahead of time and give up the flexibility of ending each day when we've had enough?

This is our first Camino so any advice/experience/tips would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We are hoping to do a relaxed, no-schedule walk, walking as far, or as little, as we feel each day. Should we be booking several days or weeks ahead of time and give up the flexibility of ending each day when we've had enough?
I've parsed your question which may provide you with your answer. And it is an answer that only you can provide. In late April you are unlikely to encounter a lack of accommodation choices.

My question, if I was asking it, might be: if you have 6 weeks why are you planning a 10 day Camino?:)

Hallo Armin,

for beginning - don´t book several days ahead, you would give up one of the best parts of the camino - your freedom:)

It will be not full end of April, especially at the coastal route and there are so many possibilities to sleep.

Here is a link, you can find information about hostels, hotels etc.

If there are less places I would phone over the day, if I can estimate how far I want to walk.

I did this way last year from Porto to Caminha and then, along the river to Valenca.

As you have so much time, did you think about the variante Camino Espiritual?

If you have any questions - here are many to help you.

All the best for you

Michael

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Tincatinker,
Thanks for your reply. It's our first Camino, so we thought the Porto/SdC section would be a good place to get a feel for what we're getting into. We figure it'll probably take us 14 days or so, we plan on short(er) days and lots of stopping and sight-seeing. Once we're in SdC we plan to select another section to walk. Maybe the Northern route.
All we have booked so far are the first 4 days in Porto when we arrive and the last 2 days in Porto six weeks later before we fly home. We want as much flexibility as possible.

Hallo Armin,

As you have so much time, did you think about the variante Camino Espiritual?

If you have any questions - here are many to help you.

All the best for you

Michael

Thanks for the info, Michael. I had not heard of the Camino Espiritual but will definitely look into it. One of the reasons we do not want to plan too far ahead is so that we can be flexible and change things up as we find new, interesting places to go.

Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Armin! My wife and i planning to do the “slow Camino” in October, 2019, and it will be our first also, so I can’t offer any advice...but we would very much like to follow your experience! We want to use B&Bs or small hotels whenever possible, and just take our time.

Are you planning to keep a blog or journal? Would you be willing to share your planning efforts and your adventure with us? We live in Atlantic Canada. Best regards....

David

Your accomodation budget of €70 pr. day definetly covers the camino, we did the same as you and the prices (for two persons) were mostly between €35-50 - even when walking along the (probably more expensive) coastal.

You can use Gronze as mentioned, but can get an overview of the price levels here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...df-route-portugues-route-monacal-coastal.404/

Beware that the route covered in the list is along the coast and not the interior route - I can't really see from your post which you're planning to walk.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Armin! My wife and i planning to do the “slow Camino” in October, 2019, and it will be our first also, so I can’t offer any advice...but we would very much like to follow your experience! We want to use B&Bs or small hotels whenever possible, and just take our time.

Are you planning to keep a blog or journal? Would you be willing to share your planning efforts and your adventure with us? We live in Atlantic Canada. Best regards....

David

David,

We're not really doing much planning other than deciding on a route (Portuguese coastal), purchasing plane tickets and booking the first few night's hotel in Porto. We want to simply play it by ear and not be tied to any particular schedule or even route.

Neither one of us is a journal/blog person, just lots of pictures and memories.

This forum is a treasure trove of information and other's experiences. We plan to read and follow the various discussions here before we start in April, however, we do not want to over-plan our adventure and take away from the spontaneity that we both enjoy when we travel.

That budget should be fine. I paid between 29 and 55 euros (tho Porto can be a bit more expensive depending on location and type of room). You shouldn't have a problem with accommodation but might be an issue if you halt in some of the smaller out of the way places. As you have time I would definately use some of it to experience some of the many interesting places en route. I took days out in Porto Baiona Pontevedra (got a bus to sanxenxo for a swim) and Santiago itself which I think everyone should spend some time enjoying. Local Officina Tourismo are worth checking out if available and open when you are seeking places to stay etc

My wife and I are planning on walking the Camino from Porto to SdC starting in late April 2019. We have 6 weeks and plan to walk other sections once we complete the walk from Porto. We have made hotel reservations for the first few days after our arrival in Porto to allow time for recovering from jet lag (coming from western Canada). We are hoping to do a relaxed, no-schedule walk, walking as far, or as little, as we feel each day. Hence, we are hoping to find accommodations when we feel we have gone as far as we want for the day. Maybe book one day ahead if needed. The plan is to stay in hotels and B&B's, not albergues. We prefer private rooms with ensuite. Our accommodations budget is currently €70/day but are hoping to spend less if possible. Does this sound realistic or will finding accommodations be a problem? Should we be booking several days or weeks ahead of time and give up the flexibility of ending each day when we've had enough?

This is our first Camino so any advice/experience/tips would be very much appreciated!

You have FAR more than enough time, and your budget is well above minimum. You'll need to plan some extra excursions.
It would be memorable for you to jump off the coast and plan an evening at Casa Fernanda, along the Central path. That could be 2 days added to your time. And perhaps extend your time by going from Santiago to the coast - that should add a few more days.
Then, since you still have so much extra time, head to Madrid and visit the museums. That should consume the rest of your time AND money. ;)
Enjoy the seafood along the coast. And kiss Fernanda and Jacinto for all the pilgrims who've ever been blessed by their precious hearts.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for the info, Michael. I had not heard of the Camino Espiritual but will definitely look into it. One of the reasons we do not want to plan too far ahead is so that we can be flexible and change things up as we find new, interesting places to go.

Thanks!
There is a lot of information on the Variante Espiritual, I think it is a wonderful idea and having lots of time, makes it a definite option. When I walk the Portuguese Camino either later this year or in May next year, this is my intention.

David,

We're not really doing much planning other than deciding on a route (Portuguese coastal), purchasing plane tickets and booking the first few night's hotel in Porto. We want to simply play it by ear and not be tied to any particular schedule or even route.

Neither one of us is a journal/blog person, just lots of pictures and memories.

This forum is a treasure trove of information and other's experiences. We plan to read and follow the various discussions here before we start in April, however, we do not want to over-plan our adventure and take away from the spontaneity that we both enjoy when we travel.
Thanks, Armin! Sounds a lot like our “plan” too. Hope all goes well. I did get Elle Bieling’s PDF books which I have found to be very informative and helpful. Bom Caminho!

Thanks!
My husband and walked this in September. You shouldn’t have any trouble with that budget. I think we usually paid less than 50 a night. Usually when we settled somewhere for the night I would check booking.com for possibilities and book the following evening. I’m not a huge fan of this method but since I don’t speak Portuguese it made life easier. After crossing from Caminha take the longer walk around to Guarda, it’s really pretty. And make sure to hike up to the top there to see the prehistoric ruins of stone huts. Well worth the walk. Have a great trip - Cherry

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back