• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do I need spikes for icy terrain when walking from Burgos to Leon next month?

jnyrup

Time of past OR future Camino
First Camino will be May 2018
Hi folks. I am writing from the US. I am walking from Burgos to Leon next month. I know it will be cold and possibly wet. But will I need spikes because of ice on the ground? Thank you for any information you can provide.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I consider the Messeta mostly flat. If I remember correctly, then the steepest slope was when leaving Castrojeriz on that stretch, but a real ice is unlikely there. A slip on muddy path perhaps...

If you need spikes to walk from St. Louis to Kansas City in February, then you will need them on the Camino. I for one, can't imagine using them. The Camino is a walk in the park, not summiting Everest.

Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
They do have relatively light weight slip on ones that I would have used in a few spots, none of them on the meseta. That being said if the weight isn’t a burden and you would feel more comfortable having them, just in case. The places I’ve run into the most challenges where the terrain didn’t allow for other options such as being forced to walk on the road which seems to be an ice magnet, particularly around the ascent/descent of O Cebreiro…always on a blind corner on foggy mornings where taking a slip isn’t advised.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My answer is a pretty firm NO! Could there be a freak storm on the Meseta? 🙃But if so and you need spikes(?) to walk one day ( which is extremely unlikely) better to take a day off, then to lug those ice grips the entire time.
In bad weather, In February , I delayed leaving Foncebadon a few hours, on the advice of the albergue, until after the plow came through and sanded/salted (?) and then walked up and down to El Acebo on the roads. On the paths snow shoes would have been more useful that year 😆😆😆 but not a good option in toto.

Living near the Rockies we have crampons for walking in the forest and smaller spike ones for walks from the house. Today we walked from the house and it was extremely icy with the recent temperatures changes.
When we walk from the house we never take poles. We will be leaving from Burgos at the end of March and are expecting to run across some snow or ice but we will have poles so not concerned.

Adjust accordingly.

From experience most of my slips on winter caminos has been on icy smooth pavements in towns - and spikes are no use on such surfaces. Even my first arrival in Santiago in late spring there was frost/ice and I slipped on the pavement at edge of town - I was so annoyed that such a short distance before the cathedral that I nearly ended up with an injury- though I went down, it thankfully was just a few bruises.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There's a middle ground, also: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B006O5K050/ . I have those, and would bring them for a winter camino. They're really nice on icy trails in mountainous terrain, as well as on icy, compact snow on roads or where many people have walked.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am just wondering whether I need to wear something other than hiking boots. It doesn't appear spikes/cleats are needed.

Who knows whether you will encounter ice on this stretch.. Probably not. I had no ice at all on our March Camino and ice on just one day on a Dec/January walk. We enounced ice on one day only - just frozen-over puddles which were easy to walk around. It was a bit tricky in the forest area walking in to San Juan de Ortega, the puddles were like skating rinks!! We walk with walking poles and these helped tremendously during this stretch - either for smashing the ice or steadying us. Personally, I would not bother buying them. If, when you arrive in Burgos there is a high chance of needing them, they should be easy enough to purchase. For what it is worth, I spent ages considering whether or not to take the and glad I did not. Good luck and happy planning :)

Also, will probably be windy - icy cold winds. A buff and/or ear warmers came in very handy - like this (not me in the pic haha)
1642565183588.png

I have noticed over the years that US shoes don't really do mud. The traction always seems to be designed for dry conditions. So it isn't a daft question. Not by a long way.

And proper vibram type boots do tend to be heavy. I have been using trail runners. The Hoka Challenger suits me but other options are available.

1642599205547.png

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
and for the more forensic reader... while my last listed camino was 2014 and the shoe above is 2015.
I also walk on other trails.

Hola, the real thing that matters when stepping in the meseta is the sole of your boots.
The walking paths are covered with millions of stones in all measures and sharpness.
They continue putting preasure on your feet, so you must protect them very well.
Solid and sturdy footwear is not an unnecessary luxury but an essential requirement.

We have walked across the meseta in winter and the worse ground we walk on was muddy really, really muddy, but no ice.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
For more on climbing O Cebreiro in sleet and snow see this earlier post
Neither of us were wearing crampons but both of us had tenacity and perseverance.
I February 2018 I walked through the snow at O Cebreiro through to Alto do Poio, no crampons, sticking to the footpath not the road. Just crossed the road at Linares. Fabulous views - wear gloves! Buen Camino

NO, have walked it in sleet and snow..

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.