• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are the gites heated?

Purple Backpack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF’12 VF’16 VP w/variants 2022/23 Norte’23
Hi all, Starting to get organized for a Spring Podiensis. Can't find any info on if gites, in general, are heated or not in April/May. Should I toss in the 1 pound sleeping bag or the silk liner? I tend to sleep cold but don't want an extra pound if not needed (btw, Sea to Summit Traveler). TIA!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Gites are individually run, so there is no answer to your question other than, “possibly”! Fuel costs are generally high in Europe and even higher due to a spike in natural gas prices. Many places turn off the heat at night and some provide blankets, but nothing is guaranteed.

Gites are individually run, so there is no answer to your question other than, “possibly”! Fuel costs are generally high in Europe and even higher due to a spike in natural gas prices. Many places turn off the heat at night and some provide blankets, but nothing is guaranteed.
Thanks so much, will keep the bag! And the fleece, and the beanie!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi there. I’ve walked the Le Puy in April (2014). Don’t recall feeling cold in the gites - which I recall as being by and large very comfortable and with smaller dorms (ie fewer beds to a room) than you would typically find on the Frances which I see you’ve walked. And yes I had a sleeping bag. Bon chemin. It’s a wonderful path 🙏

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much, will keep the bag! And the fleece, and the beanie!
and the spare smart wool sox for thy feet to keep the tootsies warm! Old trick which i use in dire necessity is to put me and the sock covered feet into the sleeping bag and the whole bloody lot into the ruck. This is a tenters trick but years ago some of the basic Refugio's were COLD. Take care and remember the old saying, if you are malnourished and your feet are cold, YOU WILL NOT SLEEP! Take care and buen Camino.

:)

Samarkand.

PS The older you get, the more important the above becomes:)

Hi all, Starting to get organized for a Spring Podiensis. Can't find any info on if gites, in general, are heated or not in April/May. Should I toss in the 1 pound sleeping bag or the silk liner? I tend to sleep cold but don't want an extra pound if not needed (btw, Sea to Summit Traveler). TIA!
Vacajoe is right.... April/May even more likely that the heaters are of.
I remember a longer period of rain in May on the via Podiensis, where I tried to put the heaters on, in vain, to dry my gear.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We too did it in April/May 2014. The only time I felt a bit cold was the night I spent in a room with Joe who, as was his right as a free citizen, passed wind all night. I survived by opening the window next to my bed and left it open until dawn. As time went on I had to put on more and more layers of clothes, but nothing was going to make me shut that window.
Apart from that I never noticed the cold at night in the gites.

In June 2019 my first night out after Le Puy was in Montbonnet at l'Escole. The morning started off with fine weather but by noon it had changed to sleet, rain and high winds. There was a pellet stove in the lounge room which was a Godsend for dealing with wet gear. The dormitory was not heated but there were lots of blankets. After that night most of my accommodations were in larger pensions and gites which I shared with the host family who had no desire to live in a damp, drafty home.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
and the spare smart wool sox for thy feet to keep the tootsies warm! Old trick which i use in dire necessity is to put me and the sock covered feet into the sleeping bag and the whole bloody lot into the ruck. This is a tenters trick but years ago some of the basic Refugio's were COLD. Take care and remember the old saying, if you are malnourished and your feet are cold, YOU WILL NOT SLEEP! Take care and buen Camino.

:)

Samarkand.

PS The older you get, the more important the above becomes:)
Please translate: whole bloody lot into the ruck? I know ‘ruck’ as a Brit term for backpack... And I’m not fitting into a 36l pack!

Hi there. I’ve walked the Le Puy in April (2014). Don’t recall feeling cold in the gites - which I recall as being by and large very comfortable and with smaller dorms (ie fewer beds to a room) than you would typically find on the Frances which I see you’ve walked. And yes I had a sleeping bag. Bon chemin. It’s a wonderful path 🙏
Thanks so much, really looking forward to it. Third time I've tried to do this trip so hope the world cooperates!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked from LePuy at the beginning of May 2016. By chance it was a cold, wet spring in the mountains of Ardeche and Aubrac. It even snowed a couple of days and yes, it was cold in some of the gites. Some of the municipal facilities open on the first of May and aren't heated at any time. Some hotels don't have heat either, or turn it off on the first of May. Sleeping bag is a very good idea. Also hat and gloves for walking.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back