• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are the shoes safe outside?

Alun26

Time of past OR future Camino
2019 April - May Camino de Frances
Hello!

Sorry, if my question is negative.
I'm just buy my new Hoka, for the Camino and for me the price was high:( Unfortunately, I tried other shoes but I had knee pain after 10 km.
I read, when you stay for night you have to leave the shoes out (what is reasonable for that amount of people, after 15-30 km), but I'm afraid a bit. Is it safe?
I can't really afford another one, and I'm not sure if I can buy the same, and I not planned to take other shoes with me, because of the weight.
I know, those who walking in the same route will not steal my shoes, I'm afraid of "fake pilgrims" and the accidents when someone pick it up by accident.

Should I worry? Can I do something, to keep it safe?

Thank you!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As with all our possessions, caution is always important. However, the likelihood of someone deliberating stealing your shoes is very low. Please put your mind at ease on that account.

However, someone mistakenly grabbing them in the morning rush and heading out without realizing it -- unlikely, but it does happen.

I wear custom insoles, so I remove them and then tie the shoes together. The insoles on your Hokas should pull out, I think, and it's not a bad idea to air them and the shoe, anyway. I also make a mental note where I put them -- so I don't grab someone else's, as much as that someone might take mine.

Some people use colored shoe strings, tie small colored pompoms on the back, paint their name or initials somewhere obvious, place a reflective strip on the sides, all sorts of ways to identify your own. And many don't do anything.

The likelihood of anything happening is really very small. Most of us are deeply attached to our shoes, and for good reason. But with anything, a bit of precaution is never out of line.

Hello Alun26.........When pilgrims talk about leaving shoes outside they mean just outside the dormitory of course , but still inside the Alburgue . There have been a couple of stories on here about people taking the wrong shoes /walking poles etc so i suppose it can happen . You could always stuff some paper into the toe of the shoes which would at least alert the person to the fact that they were trying on the wrong pair . Some thin cord through a couple of lace holes securing both shoes together would also have the same effect .

Not many people would want to take my old boots so this problem would be low down on my Camino negative thoughts , but never the less , i would hate to continue the camino in my shower flip flops :mad:

Regards......John

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
After the first day of dirt and sweat are added to your shoes, no one will steal them! 😱. However, you can physically separate the shoes in the storage area so no one mistakenly takes them. Ribbon, removing insoles, tying them to a partner’s shoes, etc all work to avoid mishaps.

Hello!

I'm just buy my new Hoka, for the Camino and for me the price was high:( Unfortunately, I tried other shoes but I had knee pain after 10 km.
I read, when you stay for night you have to leave the shoes out (what is reasonable for that amount of people, after 15-30 km), but I'm afraid a bit. Is it safe?
I can't really afford another one, and I'm not sure if I can buy the same, and I not planned to take other shoes with me, because of the weight.
I know, those who walking in the same route will not steal my shoes, I'm afraid of "fake pilgrims" and the accidents when someone pick it up by accident.

Thank you!
No, you should not worry. You should believe the other people who have replied! Maybe buy a really bright colour of shoelaces as well. I hope that you have a wonderful camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My plan to avoid any mistakes, accidents, or temptations, is to put my shoes inside a sealable plastic bag and slip it into my rucksack. Nobody would care at that point, and neither my clothes would, since the bag will be perfectly sealed. I'm definitely not going to take the risk of getting my shoes taken for whatever reason. Not only are they expensive, but they are also vital to the Camino.

As others have said I'd put the chances of someone deliberately taking your shoes at virtually nil but your brand is quite a popular one so agree that some distinguishing mark is a good idea.

@Gabe_Way Not sure sealing your shoes in a bag when they will maybe be wet through rain or sweat is a great idea .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My plan to avoid any mistakes, accidents, or temptations, is to put my shoes inside a sealable plastic bag and slip it into my rucksack. Nobody would care at that point, and neither my clothes would, since the bag will be perfectly sealed. I'm definitely not going to take the risk of getting my shoes taken for whatever reason. Not only are they expensive, but they are also vital to the Camino.
I did that too, many times. Took the shoes, put them in a closed bag and hung it on my pack in the albergue. Whenever I did leave my shoes on a shoe/boot rack in the albergue, I took out the insoles (put in outer compartment of pack) and tied the shoelaces together.
Also, whenever I could, I washed my shoes outside and hung them out to dry. On the warm, sunny days they dry fairly quick and would be dry by the next morning for sure. It was nice to put on a pair of clean shoes to start the walk, and they just plain smelled better. Wash your clothes, wash your footwear. No different.

As others have said I'd put the chances of someone deliberately taking your shoes at virtually nil but your brand is quite a popular one so agree that some distinguishing mark is a good idea.

@Gabe_Way Not sure sealing your shoes in a bag when they will maybe be wet through rain or sweat is a great idea .
I know :) But I also know that I probably wouldn't sleep very well. 🤯
The next day I'll just throw the plastic bag in the trash. And since I'm alternating Albergues with convenient Hotels, I could take care of my dirty shoes when I'm there.

P.S. I have a pair of Salomon for Trail, so they are easy to handle and fit into a plastic bag.

...I can't really afford another one, and I'm not sure if I can buy the same, and I not planned to take other shoes with me, because of the weight...

Have I got this right - are you only taking your hiking shoes with you on the Camino? I did this on my first Camino and had to buy a pair of runners when I reached Pamplona. It's just my opinion, but you might want to think about reviewing what's in your pack and try to make some room for an extra pair of footwear (whether that's runners, crocs, flip-fops, or whatever).

I found that I just had to get out of those boots in the evening and not look at them again until the next morning!! And if boots could talk, they'd tell you that they need a rest too!!!

All the best with your Camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I met someone on my Camino who had another pilgrim inadvertently take their shoes which were the same brand & color but different size. I had the same concern you do before my first Camino and so I decided to make mine different from all others by putting bright survey flag tape on them. Was very thankful I did and will do so again this year. (Pic attached)
D0B13BED-6BD9-4077-BB34-C781587B163C.jpeg

I saw someone discover their shoes had been taken, a smaller size of the same style was left on the rack.
To avoid that I put mine in a light cotton bag, but many of the other options would also work.
Enough to make someone go, 'oops not mine"

I saw someone discover their shoes had been taken, a smaller size of the same style was left on the rack.
To avoid that I put mine in a light cotton bag, but many of the other options would also work.
Enough to make someone go, 'oops not mine"
And you leave the cotton bag on the rack? Or you put it into your backpack?
I'll slide mine into my sack. :)
Yeah, those methods can work, but sleepy eyes might not spot those markers anyway.

Just thinking a mesh laundry bag might be a better idea than a cotton bag. Still allows shoes to air while keeping them together. Insoles could be take out also and left in the bag to air.
Vivifying Large Net Washing Bag, Set of 4 Durable Coarse Mesh Laundry Bag with Zip Closure for Clothes, Delicates (White) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0719DQQ7G/?tag=casaivar-21

It can happen. On my very first stint on a camino I was leaving the albergue at Melide one morning, one of the last to do so, since I am a late-as-possible riser. I found a distressed lady, running hither and thither through the rooms where the boots had been stored. Only a couple of pairs remained, from memory, and none were hers. She was left to somehow buy footware for the last leg of her camino, or take public transport train to Santiago.
I was of the opinion they had been stolen, and still am. I think it unlikely that an early riser had put on her boots by mistake and departed. I think after so many days on the road you would notice instantly. It seemed more probable that an individual had boots that were disintegrating, and found a pair in the albergue that sufficiently fitted for the remaining days into Santiago. I might be wrong, but I have observed opportunistic theft to be a fact of life. Either way, it was a rotten thing to have happened.
I don't know that there is a solution. Switching boots with a partner is ok if you have a friend with whom you walk. Putting coloured identification on your boots makes them visible, at least in the light, but the premise of the 'mistakenly taken in the darkness' theory is that the miscreant cannot readily see such indentifiers.
The only consolation I can offer is that which has already been offered above: such events are rare, unlikely to happen to you, and not worth stressing over.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
And you leave the cotton bag on the rack? Or you put it into your backpack?
I'll slide mine into my sack. :)
Yeah, those methods can work, but sleepy eyes might not spot those markers anyway.
I usually left it on the rack, sometimes inside.

The shoes may be outside your room, but still inside the property near the entrance. Never had a problem.

Most thiefs steal things in order to sell them. Highly unlikely that dirty, sweaty shoes would be easily sold or fetch a good price. 😊
Now who on earth would want to take these stylish pair of boots...but you never know as style is so important on the Camino!!!
Nevertheless I still take the insoles out at night ...just in caseimage.jpeg

Funny, but personally embarrassing shoe story for you:

My wife and I stayed at the municipal albuergue in O Cebreiro after a long slog through the rain. Prior to going to sleep, I removed my insoles to let the shoes dry, then found her shoes and did the same. In the morning, I went to retrieve her shoes but they were gone, though the insoles were still there on the shelf! I told my wife her shoes were gone, but she promptly showed me them sitting in a separate place from mine after complaint that I forgot to remove her insoles...

In short, I accidentally removed the insoles from SOMEONE ELSE’S SHOES!!! and then that poor pilgrim put them on in the dark morning and left without realizing it.... 😳. So to whomever that was, I’m truly sorry. 😂

The point being: shoes DO look alike. Point number two: don’t get up and leave in the dark...

Funny, but personally embarrassing shoe story for you:

My wife and I stayed at the municipal albuergue in O Cebreiro after a long slog through the rain. Prior to going to sleep, I removed my insoles to let the shoes dry, then found her shoes and did the same. In the morning, I went to retrieve her shoes but they were gone, though the insoles were still there on the shelf! I told my wife her shoes were gone, but she promptly showed me them sitting in a separate place from mine after complaint that I forgot to remove her insoles...

In short, I accidentally removed the insoles from SOMEONE ELSE’S SHOES!!! and then that poor pilgrim put them on in the dark morning and left without realizing it.... 😳. So to whomever that was, I’m truly sorry. 😂

The point being: shoes DO look alike. Point number two: don’t get up and leave in the dark...
Poor, poor pilgrim! At least you know you had absolutely the best of intentions!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In 2015 I met an Australian girl in Ponferrada walking barefooted looking for a shoe shop. Her shoes had been stolen at an albergue.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On more than one occasion my Merrell Moabs were moved from where I had left them , sometimes by a number of feet or a shelf or two . On one occasion the lace on one had been half re laced into a different pattern , this really made me worry . Fortunately for me I had brought along a thin stainless steel cable and a small combination padlock in case I wanted to secure my pack to a pole or such for a short time , I used this to secure my shoes to each other ,it wasn't very heavy at all and it allowed me to sleep with the assurance of having both shoes waiting for me each morning .

My husband’s boots were taken from the albergue in Tui many years ago. It was an innocent mistake, and he did get them back, but it made for a very stressful day. I am now very reluctant to let mine out of my sight.

Needing to leave shoes outside or not varies from albergue to albergue, route to route, and season to season -- but most importantly, according to how many people are sleeping there that night. If there's 1 to 5 people sleeping in a dormitory made for 20 to 50, it's typically unnecessary, unless of course your boots are so smelly and/or muddy that it's simply the correct thing to do for propriety' sake. But then some places have a boot rack inside the dormitory instead.

I'd concur that thefts of shoes are very rare indeed, and likely non-existent after they start to be properly dirty and smelly and worn.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello!

Thank you!
There is almost always a place to store your shoes in the albergue. I have yet to find an albergue that did not have indoor storage.

I use red laces, tie them together and turn them around. Most of the shoes and boots are pointing in the other direction. Anything you can do to make them look different is helpful.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On more than one occasion my Merrell Moabs were moved from where I had left them , sometimes by a number of feet or a shelf or two . On one occasion the lace on one had been half re laced into a different pattern , this really made me worry . Fortunately for me I had brought along a thin stainless steel cable and a small combination padlock in case I wanted to secure my pack to a pole or such for a short time , I used this to secure my shoes to each other ,it wasn't very heavy at all and it allowed me to sleep with the assurance of having both shoes waiting for me each morning .

How about one of these locks? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0744FGV4D/?tag=casaivar02-20

How about one of these locks?

They appear to be perfect , 20 gms is amazing .
A determined thief will always be able to defeat any lock you might use . The aim is really to make it clear to a morning befuddled , caffeine deprived Pilgrim groping about in the dark that your Moabs , Hokas or Salomons are not theirs and that they should look elsewhere for them .
I did hear a young woman complaining bitterly about how her shoes had stretched '' So much '' in only a few days of walking and did wonder if some poor wretch was hobbling along behind her in a pair two sizes too small .

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I briefly walked with a peregrina who told me her heavy ‘secret’. She had accidentally taken a pair of identical shoes to hers only to realise after a few kms they were just a bit too large! She never found again the pilgrim whose shoes she had taken (by mistake!) and felt soooooo bad about it......(quite understandably!)
‘I wear two pairs of socks and the shoes are about ok but think about HER! ‘.
Too easily done when one is still sleepy. 😕

There is almost always a place to store your shoes in the albergue. I have yet to find an albergue that did not have indoor storage.
You're supposed to put them outside on the balcony at Rabanal 🥾🥾

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Rules are made to be broken, but only in certain important circumstances, like being rilly rilly concerned someone might nick your shoes.
Take them off at the door. Put em in a spare plastic, whatever type bag and bury them in your pack.
Make a stand against these Xunta inspired Social Justice Warriors and their wished-for state sponsored Totalitarianism!
That's what I reckon mate.
Anyway next time I'm gonna stay in Casa Rurales and Hotels.
Better class of pilgrim there.
They wouldn't nick your shoes would they?

Gerard

Last edited:
Rules are made to be broken, but only in certain important circumstances, like being rilly rilly concerned someone might nick your shoes.
Take them off at the door. Put em in a spare plastic, whatever type bag and bury them in your pack.
Make a stand against Social Justice Warriors and their wished-for state sponsored Totalitarianism!
That's what I reckon anyway mate.

I get a bit carried away sometimes.
Gerard
Up the Rebels! You've nothing to lose but your plantillas!

That mightent be a great idea, boots in a plastic bag wouldn't get any chance to dry or air. I could only imagine all sorts of nasties building up over the course of a month.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Make a stand against Social Justice Warriors and their wished-for state sponsored Totalitarianism!
That's what I reckon anyway mate.

I can get a bit carried away sometimes.
Gerard
You then would have the added advantage of your clothes and pack all smelling like your feet. The perfect protection against theives!

You then would have the added advantage of your clothes and pack all smelling like your feet. The perfect protection against theives!
That's the reason a town grew up at Lavacolla.
Jump in when you arrive. A bit of a rinse up, here and there, under and over, then your clothes, and you're good to go cobber.
Fresh as a daisy for the entry to Santiago.
No reason for the Botafumero to swing now is there really?
Regards
Gerard

€149,-
On arrival, comply with the hospitalero's instructions and put footwear in the designated spot. If the set up causes you concern, wait until before going to bed, go visit your footwear and at that stage smuggle it in, in a bag. It will have had some hours to dry out and the shoe thieves won't have gone into action yet. Keep it airtight for your neighbours.

Alun, you have a lot of ideas above. I think that there are two or three that stand out: remove your insoles, place your boots upside down/facing the other way from the rest of the boots, mark them in a personal way - get bright coloured laces, use neon strips at the back. I know the pain of paying a lot of money for shoes, so I understand your fear. It is really important though to leave that fear behind, otherwise your bag will be too heavy.

Alun26,

Looks like you got all the advice you need about shoe placement...:)

I'm curious about which model Hoka's you will be walking with. I've been using their Stinson ATR4 trail runners for a little over a year (on my second pair). They were prescribed for me by my podiatrist and have virtually solved my nagging plantir fasciitis issue.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello!

Thank you!
NEVER leave your shoes outside at night where dogs might reach them. Some dogs love shoes. One night a dog at the hostel where I stayed took both of my shoes. Fortunately after searching for 30 minutes I found both in the grass and neither were chewed up.

€46,-
Wow - 54 posts/replies. Yes the shoe security can be an issue. I saw a post on the forum some years back where a couple tied pilgrim one left shoe with pilgrim twos right shoe and vice versa with the other two shoes. Given that one shoe was a US11 and the other a female 8 or 9 anyone deliberately or mistakenly taking them would soon have discovered their error. Oh and they stored the shoes on different shelves. Maybe over kill but when you have shoes/boots that are fitting your foot like the proverbial glove you do not want to loose them!!

I wear men's size 14 US or 48.5 EU. Most people would find them a bit big.

Similar, I'm wearing EU size 50s. It certainly helps reassure one about leaving them unattended for the night ...

Hello!

Thank you!
Thank you for asking this Alun26

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.