• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are There Alternatives to Orisson?

templarsoul

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (SJPP to Fisterra) (June/July 2015)
Hello!

Booked airline tickets for our family today and see that a dream of two years is now only 8 months away! I've read that Orisson has friendly employees, but overall consensus seems the owner is the exception. Also, it doesn't hold many pilgrims, and it is overpriced. Correct me if I'm wrong. I wondered if there is an alternative, besides camping (if that is even allowed)? I had read that another place was under construction last year that is fairly close to Orisson. Does anyone have any info about the new place?

Thanks in advance!

Lloyd

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The cost probably reflects the capital involved in building and maintaining the gite - and market forces. This is a very isolated location and I remember before it was built - absolutely nothing was there. No shelter, no services, no power, no water. It was a great relief when it was built. In my one and only stay there I found the owner charming. He has in the past been very good about guiding pilgrims over the pass when the ground was covered with snow - and transported them to Valcarlos when the Route Napoleon was impassable. I guess things change over time.
Kayola, further down the hill and owned by the same people, is the only other place I know of near Orisson. I'd be interested to know if there is a new Gite being built. Otherwise there is Huntto, which is only a few km out of SJPDP.

Hmmmm.... My night in Orisson was one of the best on the Camino. If I walk the French route again, I'd happily stay there again. I found it good value, considering where they are, as well as market forces. Finally, the owner did lose his temper in front of me at one point. Four young girls insisted that they be given beds that other people had reserved ahead of time. This was around 1:00pm and the owners said they could wait if they wanted but he would not free up the beds unless the other pilgrims didn't arrive by late in the afternoon. The girls lost their cool and patience so the owner did too. He dismissed them with a line that I and many other pilgrims came to use for the next month: "GO TO SPAIN! GO TO SPAIN!" I liked him!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello,

Going to "ferme Ithurburia" gite in Hounto, aka Saint-Michel, is an hour and a half walk (climb ? ;-)) from Saint-Jean. The views are great as well

Our first night on our first Camino was there in 2009. Absolutely wonderful experience. We met many other pilgrims that night that we walked on and off with for a month and are now lifelong friends. Great dinner and introductions.......a great way to start a Camino. All staff were extremely helpful and Jean Jacques (owner) led us over the Pyrenees in a blizzard the next day. We again stayed there in 2011 and had another great experience. Cost is very reasonable considering you get a bed, dinner and breakfast. Very comparable to most gites along the French routes (Le Puy / Arles). All in all a great value and great Pilgriim experience. Dayton and Karen

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If money is tight and you have to count your pennies on the Camino (sounds like you said tickets for family meaning more than one person) then you must cut somewhere and Orisson just might be where one cuts. IF you can swing Orisson and would need such a break then I would cut somewhere else and enjoy this oasis! Orisson was exactly what I needed. I liked the owner but can imagine that there are many circumstances during the day that require him to say, "no" to people...
You must reserve! You must reconfirm!

Hi Lloyd,

It seems you will be walking near June? This is such a nice time to walk. Wishing you and your family the best of all journeys.

Have been reading about the Camino for 10 years, and can not remember coming across a negative comment about staying in Orisson. In fact, this is one place which receives such high praise on all accounts. Although I have walked passed twice, it really does look to be an incredible place to stay, meet others, eat, relax, get in to the groove of the Camino.

(For anyone else following this thread) Having assisted many others with their stay in Orisson, I have learned to be patient with correspondence. Keep this in mind if you choose. You will want to reserve bed well ahead of time (March for example if June walk.) especially if a group of you. An email can be sent, it will take a few days for response, once response comes, you will be directed to pay for the bed, shortly after that the confirmation will come the bed is secured. Absolute patience is needed here. It always seems to work out one way or another if not already full.

Besides the recommendations above, another alternative would be to have a good rest in SJPdP and have a wonderful walk to Roncesvalles for your first stage.

No matter what the decision, you are on your Way.

Trust in the arrows,
Simeon

The cost probably reflects the capital involved in building and maintaining the gite - and market forces. This is a very isolated location and I remember before it was built - absolutely nothing was there. No shelter, no services, no power, no water. It was a great relief when it was built. In my one and only stay there I found the owner charming. He has in the past been very good about guiding pilgrims over the pass when the ground was covered with snow - and transported them to Valcarlos when the Route Napoleon was impassable. I guess things change over time.
Kayola, further down the hill and owned by the same people, is the only other place I know of near Orisson. I'd be interested to know if there is a new Gite being built. Otherwise there is Huntto, which is only a few km out of SJPDP.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks to all for the feedback! Valcarlos would be easier, but being a history buff, there is no other way than the Route Napolean (unless the family votes me down ... which I doubt!) I guess it is Orrisson for us, thanks again!

View attachment 14699 View attachment 14699
Welcome to the forum Lloyd. You could always walk the Valcarlos route, a very beautiful route too but not as hard a walk. There is an albergue in Valcarlos which is supposed to be very good. I have not stayed there as I walked to Roncevalles in one day via this route.
Have a look at this thread.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/sjpp-to-roncesvalles-–-in-praise-of-the-lower-route.16075/#post-113568
Having walked both routes I can say they are both beautiful ways to cross the Pyrenees. I don't know why more people don't do the Valcarlos. Yes, it is flatter, but about tw0-thirds of the way to Roncesvalles it gets quite steep and a bit laborious, but you walk through some beautiful woods and cross and see nice streams. It seems most people do the Napolean route because that's what's recommended in the guide books, which is too bad. I can't say one is more difficult than the other and it took me about the same amount of time to get to Roncesvalles on both.
When I did my first Camino using the Valcarlos route it was by accident. I did not have a guide book and did not know there were two routes and got a bit mixed up on the way out of town and as I stood by an intersection wondering where to go a passing motorist pointed me the way, but it was via the Valcarlos route and did not know there was a difference until a couple of hours later while talking about it with a couple of fellow pilgrims walking it too. This was in mid-July and there were very few pilgrims on the Valcarlos.
A couple of photos of some of the scenery of the Valcarlos:
El Camino day 1 015.jpg El Camino day 1 014.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I stayed at Orisson last May 1st. I agree with all of the positive things said in this thread.

Many posts above have I hope assured you that Orrison is a wonderful place to stay and that the owner is no ogre. Never been there myself but it would seem that Orisson is a convenient place to stay if you do not fancy or cannot face the hike to Roncevalles or beyond via the Route Napoleon in a single bite. A rest spot recommended to anyone who is not an experienced and currently fit long-distance hiker, providing respite early in the journey and by all accounts a pleasurable stay providing lovely views of the Pyreneess on clear days ( other atmospheric conditions are available).

The Valcarlos, arguably the historic route, provides similar opportunities for rest at Valcarlos, and still provides the challenges of the climb to Ibenata and the descent to Roncevalles. No bookings necessary at the Albergue, 16 beds, donativo, and I remember the hospitalera as charming. Given the number of beds available at Hunto and Orisson compared to the number of pilgrims setting out from StJdP on any given day it would seem that most just walk on by; take the Valcarlos; or grab a 'cab.

@templarsoul, don't worry about the reputations of Hostal owners, hospitaleros of Albergues, drunken Camerenos in dubious Camino-side bars or the merits or otherwise of the menu Peregrino in all Mesons in all the towns of all the provinces through which you will hike. At best that was yesterday's news: mostly it's just the view of a pilgrim who hasn't found their way yet.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello!

Booked airline tickets for our family today and see that a dream of two years is now only 8 months away! I've read that Orisson has friendly employees, but overall consensus seems the owner is the exception. Also, it doesn't hold many pilgrims, and it is overpriced. Correct me if I'm wrong. I wondered if there is an alternative, besides camping (if that is even allowed)? I had read that another place was under construction last year that is fairly close to Orisson. Does anyone have any info about the new place?

Thanks in advance!

Lloyd
My wife and I walked in Sep/Oct 2013. Realizing too late we'd not make it to Roncevalles as we'd planned, we phoned Orisson and were told there was no room. 10 minutes later they phoned back to tell us they would transport us by car to another alburgue then bring us back to Orisson in the morning. When arrived, they changed the plan and had set up tents behind the inn. The stay was one of the best of our entire trek. The staff was friendly and very accommodating.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My wife and I walked in Sep/Oct 2013. Realizing too late we'd not make it to Roncevalles as we'd planned, we phoned Orisson and were told there was no room. 10 minutes later they phoned back to tell us they would transport us by car to another alburgue then bring us back to Orisson in the morning. When arrived, they changed the plan and had set up tents behind the inn. The stay was one of the best of our entire trek. The staff was friendly and very accommodating.

Rick, I must have met you and your wife at Orisson as I also stayed on September 9, 2013. You lost me soon after that tho, as I didn't see SdC until October 21.

Hmmmm.... My night in Orisson was one of the best on the Camino. If I walk the French route again, I'd happily stay there again. I found it good value, considering where they are, as well as market forces. Finally, the owner did lose his temper in front of me at one point. Four young girls insisted that they be given beds that other people had reserved ahead of time. This was around 1:00pm and the owners said they could wait if they wanted but he would not free up the beds unless the other pilgrims didn't arrive by late in the afternoon. The girls lost their cool and patience so the owner did too. He dismissed them with a line that I and many other pilgrims came to use for the next month: "GO TO SPAIN! GO TO SPAIN!" I liked him!

I've emailed him twice to reserve and he hasn't responded. I'm so afraid that I might have offended him. He said to write back in November. It's November! :/

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've emailed him twice to reserve and he hasn't responded. I'm so afraid that I might have offended him. He said to write back in November. It's November! :/
I can understand that you are probably very anxious to get this settled, but it is still early days yet in November; I'm sure you will hear back before long. Sometimes I have to remind myself that not everyone operates on 'city' time. Hope this helps. :)

Go to Spain!!!! Actually, remember what people have said, sometimes it takes a while (even a week or two) for him to get around to replying. Don't give up hope yet, unless you are leaving for there in a few days.

In May 2011 there were many tents set up in the garden.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello!

Thanks in advance!

Lloyd
We stayed at Valcarlos last month and made the trip to Roncesvalles in two days. The scenery is quite nice from SJPP to Roncesvalles, although there is some walking on a somewhat dangerous twisty mountain road between Valcarlos and Roncesvalles. The municipal albergue in Valcarlos is quite nice (and quite empty when we were there), with a good kitchen. They even take reservations! The town of Valcarlos is quiet, but has everything you will need for a pleasant overnight stay. Buen Camino.

We stayed in Valcarlos, taking two days to Roncevalles. It was wonderful. Just one correction from this thread. It is not donativo. Ten euros each. But it will be the cleanest albergue of the trip with an excellent kitchen. We were there on Sept 27, and did not see another pilgrim for two days, until we reached the pass, at the end of the second day. Everyone we talked to later on the Camino, who walked this route, loved it. Cheers to both routes from us.

I start walking from St Jean April 15th. I have thought about stopping at Orisson. However, at that time of year that route could possibly be closed so I am reluctant to book in advance and with 35 days ahead of me, I wont be in a position to get a refund. Not sure what to do

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I start walking from St Jean April 15th. I have thought about stopping at Orisson. However, at that time of year that route could possibly be closed so I am reluctant to book in advance and with 35 days ahead of me, I wont be in a position to get a refund. Not sure what to do
I had the same concerns when I was making plans for my spring Camino last year. See my post (#156) in the following threat for how I dealt with the refund.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-stop-or-not-to-stop.12902/page-2#post-202128

You may also find additional information here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...isson-but-weather-is-nasty.17376/#post-126229 Buen Camino

Orrisson is an amazing spot. I found the owner pleasant. ...both in emails and in person.

"Some" pilgrams can be a bit demanding. I observed (at another albergue ) two women demanding that the church bell (which was close by) be switched off so they could sleep. It did not go down well with the Albergee owner.....or the rest of us.

Some people walk to Orrisson and then taxi back to St jean....stay the night and then taxi back to Orrisson to walk to Roncesvalles the following morning.

I was very happy with the price. My bed was soooo comfortable. The shower hot....the clothesline in the sun (a rarity at times) the evening meal a highlight. ..breakfast was wonderful.
But the view!!!!! Oh my gosh.....to sit on that deck with a freshly squeezed orange juice was simply magical.

Orisson is a great place. It will be fine. Don't over think your journey. Just make sure you book in advance.
Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Orisson was for me well worth the expense. Not only was I made welcome I also found through the shared excitement and anticipation with other pilgrims that I was not alone in being anxious.

That first night was precious for me. It gave me a sense of comfort, belonging and companionship. Some of the people I met at Orisson became my Camino family:D for my entire Camino.

That said, this time I will either go via the Valcarlos route or straight to Roncesvalles in one hop without stopping at Orisson.

Personally speaking, I cannot be critical in any way of Orisson, the owner or staff.

Buen Camino my friend, whatever you decide.

Orisson was for me well worth the expense. Not only was I made welcome I also found through the shared excitement and anticipation with other pilgrims that I was not alone in being anxious.

That first night was precious for me. It gave me a sense of comfort, belonging and companionship. Some of the people I met at Orisson became my Camino family:D for my entire Camino.

Personally speaking, I cannot be critical in any way of Orisson, the owner or staff.

Amen!!!

Re the cost- it might seem expensive compared to many places in Spain- but for those who have been walking the Le Puy route to reach it, there won't be any surprise at the price. It's very similar to the cost of many other private gîtes in France for dinner, dorm bed and breakfast.

I was so fortunate the day I walked there. The view over the mountains was just superb all afternoon/evening, and there was a wonderful double rainbow in the evening that stretched right across the sky. It remains one of my most special memories from the Camino.
Margaret

I had to e-mail twice, but he did eventually respond. Based on all the great feedback, I went ahead an put a deposit on room/rooms for our family. He was very friendly in his responses and I now look forward to our stay.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back