• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are there any pilgrims out there who have walked the Irish Coast to Coast?

John Briscoe

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francais 2014
Camino Portuguese 2016
My wife and I will be walking the Coast to Coast in Ireland this coming June 2018 from Dublin to Kerry. Does anyone have any feedback/advice on accommodation and walking issues? (I have Paddy Palins book and also Irish Trails on my phone and maps)

Attachments

• Coast to Coast _Google Earth.JPG
    Coast to Coast _Google Earth.JPG
    248.8 KB · Views: 51
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have lived on the West Coast of Ireland for over 10 years now and would love to know how detailed Paddy Palin's Guide book is?

I would imagine you're very much on your own with regard to planning and route etc, though some of our trails DO are beautiful. Accommodation would be a worry for me too, as there is no recognized walking infra-structure here as yet.

Maybe when you have chance you would share your route and accommodation choices etc?
I'm sure there would be a lot of people who are interested in exploring our beautiful country.

Kind regards.
Sheena

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This seems to be a good blog that gives some details of accommodation he used while walking.
http://www.americanthruhiker.com/?p=190. I've done the Wicklow Way stages and they are great. You definitely need to arrange accommodation beforehand as a lot of it is quite remote and the villages may be a little bit off the trail. Pity we will be on the Camino in June, as we live quite close to the start of it.

My wife and I will be walking the Coast to Coast in Ireland this coming June 2018 from Dublin to Kerry. Does anyone have any feedback/advice on accommodation and walking issues? (I have Paddy Palins book and also Irish Trails on my phone and maps)
My husband & I would love to do this too but to date have not been able to find much info (source books/maps) on this. I can't even find a Paddy Palins book on this trail. If it wasn't that we are already booked for a June bicycle tour, I would type we would love to join you. Walking issues, make sure you take your trekking poles, I love mine. Have fun & I will watch for your future postings on this camino,

Ah, there is an Irish Camino in my future as my Ancestors came from North Tipperary. I was there is 2016 only enough to know I will be back. This year is the CF end to end.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have lived on the West Coast of Ireland for over 10 years now and would love to know how detailed Paddy Palin's Guide book is?

I would imagine you're very much on your own with regard to planning and route etc, though some of our trails DO are beautiful. Accommodation would be a worry for me too, as there is no recognized walking infra-structure here as yet.

Maybe when you have chance you would share your route and accommodation choices etc?
I'm sure there would be a lot of people who are interested in exploring our beautiful country.

Kind regards.
Sheena
Sheena , thanks. I will be documenting the walk.

This seems to be a good blog that gives some details of accommodation he used while walking.
http://www.americanthruhiker.com/?p=190. I've done the Wicklow Way stages and they are great. You definitely need to arrange accommodation beforehand as a lot of it is quite remote and the villages may be a little bit off the trail. Pity we will be on the Camino in June, as we live quite close to the start of it.
thanks for that. It will be hotter in Spain in June methinks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you so much for posting this link. We will watch for the book and look forward to reading more updates on The Ireland Way.

http://www.theirelandway.ie/
Just recieved the Guide, passport and TShirt - ordered from the website above- in mail to Australia! Very exciting. Guide book is thorough and while there are long legs, i dont think carrying tent is necessary.
Slainte and Buen Camino ☘

Hmm... could it be Paddy Dillon, A Cicerone Guide, The Irish Coast to Coast Walk? I have that book sitting looking out at me from my bookshelf.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
April 2017, I walked from the docks in Galway to the Grand Canal Dock in Dublin so that in my mind is a Coast to Coast, not the most pleasant of walks from Galway to Shannon Harbour, along the hard shoulder of a busy road for about half of that stretch and at Shannon Harbour walked the banks of the Grand Canal all the way into Dublin. As with many Irish long distance walks, accommodation at suitable intervals can be an issue, my day into Tullamore meant a long 54 km haul but after that 3 even 35/ 36 kms days into Dublin.

Last edited:
Well, I have the physical book as i said. If anyone wants to borrow it, pm me and you could collect it from me in Dublin. I don’t mind if it is passed on, books are generally for sharing in my opinion. There is a great swell of interest in promoting pilgrim paths, and other paths, in Ireland. I tried to work out an itinerary for walking the Royal or Grand Canals, but so far have not found it all that easy. Am not going over to Spain this summer, and wanted to walk on the flat, after my painful Salvador last summer... The association of the Waterways group people were very kind, but I foreshortened their search on my behalf because someone whispered The Barrow Way in my ear, and off I went like a hare, and I have planned a six day walk along the river bank, with some canal parts en route. Accommodation is not too bad, price wise (average €35 to €40 pp sharing, with full Irish breakfast, and no fear of no bed! -) although probably if I had persevered I might have found places nearer to the river. Some of the bed and breakfast owners have offered to collect us, which is really very nice of them. The real pilgrim routes will be clarified soon enough, I believe, for those who wish to have a certificate of proof that they have walked 25 km before beginning the English route as it is called, to qualify for a Compostela. My walk is nothing to do with a Compostela, just a peaceful alternative as I can’t go over this summer.
I should add: come hell or high water, we have to go on the dates planned, as the beds are booked!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
April 2017, I walked from the docks in Galway to the Grand Canal Dock in Dublin so that in my mind is a Coast to Coast, not the most pleasant of walks from Galway to Shannon Harbour, along the hard shoulder of a busy road for about half of that stretch and at Shannon Harbour walked the banks of the Grand Canal all the way into Dublin. As with many Irish long distance walks, accommodation at suitable intervals can be an issue, my day into Tullamore meant a long 54 km haul but after that 3 even 35/ 36 kms days into Dublin.
Well done you, supersullivan. And you are alive to tell the tale!

some day, in fact some Sunday, at the market in the Peoples' Park, tell me about it!

Well, I have the physical book as i said. If anyone wants to borrow it, pm me and you could collect it from me in Dublin. I don’t mind if it is passed on, books are generally for sharing in my opinion. There is a great swell of interest in promoting pilgrim paths, and other paths, in Ireland. I tried to work out an itinerary for walking the Royal or Grand Canals, but so far have not found it all that easy. Am not going over to Spain this summer, and wanted to walk on the flat, after my painful Salvador last summer... The association of the Waterways group people were very kind, but I foreshortened their search on my behalf because someone whispered The Barrow Way in my ear, and off I went like a hare, and I have planned a six day walk along the river bank, with some canal parts en route. Accommodation is not too bad, price wise (average €35 to €40 pp sharing, with full Irish breakfast, and no fear of no bed! -) although probably if I had persevered I might have found places nearer to the river. Some of the bed and breakfast owners have offered to collect us, which is really very nice of them. The real pilgrim routes will be clarified soon enough, I believe, for those who wish to have a certificate of proof that they have walked 25 km before beginning the English route as it is called, to qualify for a Compostela. My walk is nothing to do with a Compostela, just a peaceful alternative as I can’t go over this summer.
I should add: come hell or high water, we have to go on the dates planned, as the beds are booked!
Thanks for this. I am meeting up with a few Camino folk when we get to Dublin around the 6th June. We are staying at the Russell court.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
To those who were wondering. My wife and I are back from our two months in Ireland when we walked over 400kms and later drove over 3,000kms.
As for the walk, I am currently writing up my blog and if there is interest, I will post a link here when ready.
As for the walk it was great, but there were challenges that we did not experience in Spain.
A few highlights were
1. The Wicklow Way with the amazing vistas. So much green
2. The South Leinster where we started walking the rivers, The Barrow, The Suir and the Nore
3. The East Munster with its rolling hills and Anglo Norman castles
4. The walks in Kerry with the wildness of the west and the amazing weather experienced
Other walks were along the Cliffs of Moher and we also climbed Croagh Patrick

So many wonderful experiences and the people we met were just amazing, helpful and happy.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
To those who were wondering. My wife and I are back from our two months in Ireland when we walked over 400kms and later drove over 3,000kms.
As for the walk, I am currently writing up my blog and if there is interest, I will post a link here when ready.
As for the walk it was great, but there were challenges that we did not experience in Spain.
A few highlights were
1. The Wicklow Way with the amazing vistas. So much green
2. The South Leinster where we started walking the rivers, The Barrow, The Suir and the Nore
3. The East Munster with its rolling hills and Anglo Norman castles
4. The walks in Kerry with the wildness of the west and the amazing weather experienced
Other walks were along the Cliffs of Moher and we also climbed Croach Patrick

So many wonderful experiences and the people we met were just amazing, helpful and happy.
I am raging! I forgot to follow through to arrange a meeting! Please do post a link when you have finished. I just had time walk from Robertstown and down along the Barrow. You were blessed to do so much more. Glad it was such a positive experience.

I am raging! I forgot to follow through to arrange a meeting! Please do post a link when you have finished. I just had time walk from Robertstown and down along the Barrow. You were blessed to do so much more. Glad it was such a positive experience.
Thanks for that. I did meet up with 2 fellow Irish pilgrims in Dublin.

Most read last week in this forum

An article in the weekend edition of the Irish Times. I hope it can be accessed. If not, just follow the website above. Go n-éirí an bóthar leat, Credit for Gaelic version, @wayfarer...
The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back