• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are there are any parts of the Norte Stages that people consider dangerous ?

Duncan Idaho

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2014, Portuguese 2015, Finisterre 2015, Norte 2017, Aragones 2018, V d Plata 2019
Hi All,
Am booked up and starting the Norte from Irun in mid-April. I have trawled around previous threads looking for posts on sections that might be prone to be muddy but have read some comments suggesting some sections were considered downright dangerous ?

I'm fit, healthy, wont be carrying too much weight and am planning to average around 25km a day. Am looking forward to the scenery and challenge but not so much that I want to risk slipping up in the mud and falling over a cliff !

Are my concerns misplaced are there some sections (particuarly between Irun and Santander) that looking back people would not do again or take the long way around ? Or sections if particularly muddy would make you think not so much?

Thanks ever for any helpm

Duncan

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
No, there is no where that is dangerous. When I walked in the wet spring of 2013, there was mud- a-plenty, and a few spots that were spectacular cliff top walks, but nowhere that common sense wouldn't keep you from danger. At one spot just west of Deba, the path was on a steep slope and there had been a landslide just below the camino path, but it just added to the sense of adventure. The most dangerous thing I encountered was orojo, the local fire water, which went down very easy after a long days walking...

I beg to differ. Climbing up El Brusco, going from Santona to Noja should be forbidden, or at least rated a "double black diamond". It's a steep hill mostly made up of sand, on the very edge of a cliff with no ropes or barrier, what have you. With 8kg on your back your are also more likely to be thrown backwards if you lose your footing. It is so steep that at 5'4" I had to climb bits of it on my knees as I could not make the step up. If my poles had snap'ed or bent I would most likely have tumbled down to my death. And yet that is the route the tourism info booth suggested rsther than taking the road around it. There is a road, take a left and follow it. You do not need to tumble upon the surfer below.

There os another spot that was difficult to manage, again for a short person like me: coming down the hill jist after leaving the monastery in ... Just after Zumaia. Down bill in the woods, with cayons between where ypu woulf'd like to place your feet. But if you just sit on your toochy you'll mKe it down ok. Just don't go thinking you are a mountain goat.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi All,
Am booked up and starting the Norte from Irun in mid-April. I have trawled around previous threads looking for posts on sections that might be prone to be muddy but have read some comments suggesting some sections were considered downright dangerous ?

I'm fit, healthy, wont be carrying too much weight and am planning to average around 25km a day. Am looking forward to the scenery and challenge but not so much that I want to risk slipping up in the mud and falling over a cliff !

Are my concerns misplaced are there some sections (particuarly between Irun and Santander) that looking back people would not do again or take the long way around ? Or sections if particularly muddy would make you think not so much?

Duncan

Duncan:

I can not think of any dangerous places. The climb mentioned by Anemone is difficult but, imo, not dangerous and spectacular views from the top. The walk around adds quite a few kilometers and you miss the views and a nice walk down the beach to Noja.

That said, difficulty is subjective and varies person to person.

Ultreya,
Joe

I don't recall anything that felt remotely dangerous.

I do remember that the beach on the other side the sandy hill that Anemone describes above is a full scale nudist beach.
Hot August day in 2014 it was a strange contrast with pack carrying pilgrims walking through the crowded nudist sun bathers. :cool:

If you want to purchase a great guidebook with excellent maps I recommend Guia Practica del Camino del Norte (Costa y Primitivo) 2015 (http://guias.editorialbuencamino.com/productos/guia-del-camino-del-norte-costa-y-primitivo) (in Spanish but very user friendly maps even if you don't read Spanish)...which shows the Camino del Norte, alternative routes, danger and caution areas, steep uphills and downhills, albergues, cathedrals, points of interest, and scenic lookouts...just got my copy in the mail today and it is the best guide I have found on the Camino del Norte and it was recommended by several Camino del Norte Associations.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I beg to differ. Climbing up El Brusco, going from Santona to Noja should be forbidden, or at least rated a "double black diamond". It's a steep hill mostly made up of sand, on the very edge of a cliff with no ropes or barrier, what have you. It is so steep that at 5'4" I had to climb bits of it on my knees as I could not make the step up. If my poles had snap'ed or bent I would most likely have tumbled down to my death. And yet that is the route the tourism info booth suggested rsther than taking the road around it. There is a road, take a left and follow it. You do not need to tumble upon the surfer below.

There os another spot that was difficult to manage, again for a short person like me: coming down the hill jist after leaving the monastery in ... Just after Zumaia. Down bill in the woods, with cayons between where ypu woulf'd like to place your feet. But if you just sit on your toochy you'll mKe it down ok. Just don't go thinking you are a mountain goat.

I agree with Anemone on this path. If it wasn't for my taller and stronger buddy I don't think I could have made it. Very nerve wracking for me!
Also many steep downhills on concrete paths were very slippery when wet. Each one of us three woman at different times landed on our bottoms. Luckily plenty of padding :)

Thank you all for the replies - it doesn't sound as bad as I had thought. I'll be careful around El Brusco

And thankyou Kurt for the reference to guide. Many Spanish is average but the maps look really useful, I will order a copy.

Thank you all for the replies - it doesn't sound as bad as I had thought. I'll be careful around El Brusco

And thankyou Kurt for the reference to guide. Many Spanish is average but the maps look really useful, I will order a copy.

Just to put in into perspective - you're walking 800km across a whole country and asking about ANY dangerous sections!

So be reassured that so far the various replies have revealed fewer than a handful but let me add my thoughts

You will need to be alert and listen for cars and the occasional group of weekend motorcyclists when walking on the road - and be prepared to jump into the ditch if needed - but there again there might be no more than a handful of cars seen in an hour - I would certainly wait until light before walking

On the so-called alpine section above the sanctuary above Irun there is a short but very steep section that involves climbing on rock - fine if dry, more difficult if wet - but there's no problem to take the lower path

The railway bridge crossing after Boo is fine if treated with appropriate caution - there is plenty of room betweeen you and the train on the bridge - but again you can wait and take the train instead

I was less worried about the sandy climb before Noja - if only because I was inadvertantly being chased up between two instructors and their troop of young soldiers

The longest and muddiest path is on the way down from Priesca since it's also used by cyclists - best to either get your feet wet at the beginning and then just stride through or try to find a longer way down

And as you get closer to Santiago there will be heavy but fleeting construction traffic at a couple of points

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello!

On the first stage, there is a really short stretch just before Pasajes where I wouldn't go if it was raining. On the so called "alpinist" option from Irun to San Sebastian (which in fact follows the marked white and red GR-121 tourist route) there is one (really short) stretch where you need to hold to chains attached to the rocks for security reasons. But look at the spectacular views over Pasajes from there, would you like to miss it?

http://www.oarsoaldea-turismo.net/images/informazio-praktikoa/berriak/TALAIA_GR_121.jpg

The El Brusco mentioned several times in this thread, seemed like a big pile of sand to me. Unless there is a hurricane wind, I believe there is no danger of falling. The hill is just 63 m (200 feet) high and offers stunning panoramic views over the beaches of Berria and Noja ("Noja" is pronounced like "no harm"). I think it was my favorite viewpoint on the entire Cantabrian coastline, which is rather flat most of the time (but still beautiful). See the views from El Brusco:

https://kapitanpedales.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/punta-del-brusco-playa-de-noja.jpg

If you go to the Norte in April, I think the more challenging issue will be finding albergues that are open off-season and a solitary walk. Very few pilgrims, but for some people this is an advantage.
Buen Camino!

Hi Arthur , thanks for reply.
That view is sensational ! Reminds me of Foncebaddon-Molinaseca from the CF. I don't remember any sections on the CF or CP where I thought it was overly dangerous. Traffic I suppose but that is an ever present on any camino. My concern was terrain combined with weather (mud) on the first 300km or so to Santander which is the bit am doing this time.
Regarding albergues, yeah possibly. I dont normally but this time I have made a few bookings on bookings.com in advance for the earlier stages. They are easily cancelled if it turns out my progress is slower/faster than planned. Its a trade off between a little spontaneity and security of knowing you can walk that longer day without needing to worry about lodging i suppose or shuffle round town looking for somewhere.
Duncan

I beg to differ. Climbing up El Brusco, going from Santona to Noja should be forbidden, or at least rated a "double black diamond". It's a steep hill mostly made up of sand, on the very edge of a cliff with no ropes or barrier, what have you. With 8kg on your back your are also more likely to be thrown backwards if you lose your footing. It is so steep that at 5'4" I had to climb bits of it on my knees as I could not make the step up. If my poles had snap'ed or bent I would most likely have tumbled down to my death. And yet that is the route the tourism info booth suggested rsther than taking the road around it. There is a road, take a left and follow it. You do not need to tumble upon the surfer below.

my wife already thinks i'm an old goat :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I must join in the chorus that decries el Bruto. I began climbing it in good weather but felt unable to continue, given the precarious nature of the path. With a pack on one's back, one's balance is affected, and there is little margin for a mis-step. Others had no trouble, but I certainly did. I took the long detour both times and then headed on to the lovely beach walk to Noja (I only encountered naturists once, but this is so common a phenomenon on the beaches of northern Spain that one pays little attention-- there were I noticed backpacks and poles in heaps, with pale Tilley-hat-wearing figures heading into the water with their hikers' tans....)

The other factor I would mention is to look both ways carefully when crossing roads-- some Spanish drivers are very fond of their accelorators and a car which might have seemed to have been far away at first glance, was not at all so a second or two later.

Last edited:
Hi All,
.... prone to be muddy but have read some comments suggesting some sections were considered downright dangerous ?

I'm fit, healthy, ..... I want to risk slipping up in the mud and falling over a cliff !

Duncan
I am overweight and not in good shape. I started end of May in Irun. Several muddy trails (dirt roads) and long descends between Irun and Bilbao. I took it slow and used my walking poles effectively I also had good traditional hiking boots that helped. I saw a number of people slipping and falling down. SO, Expect challenging trail conditions in April for sure. I had perfect weather and trail conditions for the rest of my walk.

I continued via Primitivo after 3 weeks on the Norte. Although there were two stages with some difficulty, the Irun-Bilbao was more of a challenge for me, perhaps due to the fact it is at the beginning of the walk.

With a little bit of prep and caution you should not face any problem completing this stunning walk. My stages are here:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...mitivo-may-25-june-27-2014.27811/#post-226937

Many thanks Rajy - your stages look over the first 11 days are pretty much the same as mine, I may try for Santander on day 10 but this will be dependent on knees / weather etc. May take the walking poles this time.
Duncan

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The other factor I would mention is to look both ways carefully when crossing roads-- some Spanish drivers are very fond of their accelorators and a car which might have seemed to have been far away at first glance, was not at all so a second or two later.

'Look both ways' . . . I'd say that applies to anyone, anywhere, anytime . . .
Buen Camino !

El Brusco was the only ugly climb, but with poles it was fine (and I'm out of shape, and carried a big pack). That was the only place that stood out to me as potentially dangerous (other than the highways). Just remember that fear is the mind killer, etc, etc, Duncan Idaho.

I can think of only two relatively dicey parts. The first is if you opt for the red-white GR trail (not the actual Camino) at the very end walking down into Deba. The trail there, at least in September, was broken, narrow and steep. Still, the GR between Getaria and Deba is mind blowing. The other kinda scary ( for me at least) part is the climb out of Santona (El Brusco/Noya?) and back down again. Not for the faint of heart. But not necessarily dangerous per se.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I can think of only two relatively dicey parts. The first is if you opt for the red-white GR trail (not the actual Camino) at the very end walking down into Deba. The trail there, at least in September, was broken, narrow and steep. Still, the GR between Getaria and Deba is mind blowing. The other kinda scary ( for me at least) part is the climb out of Santona (Noya?) and back down again. Not for the faint of heart. But not necessarily dangerous per se.
There is normally an elevator to get down to Deba,.

Correct - the GR route. Despite the fact that it's a bit more strenuous and, as mentioned, there is that dicey part, it really is worth it, if you're up for it.

I can think of only two relatively dicey parts. The first is if you opt for the red-white GR trail (not the actual Camino) at the very end walking down into Deba. The trail there, at least in September, was broken, narrow and steep. Still, the GR between Getaria and Deba is mind blowing.

I believe Lunna is referring to the last part of GR-121 descending 180m/600ft down from the Santa Catalina chapel on the top of the hill towards Deba:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3646/3325980574_627f2a6a64.jpg

Important: there are two options to walk down. First is the steep descent bringing you directly to the Deba beach (thats the old trail) and the second option (the new trail) which is about 1 km longer, but much safer. Basically, standing in the front door of the chapel, you start following the old dirt road (see the picture above) towards the group of houses nearby. There are white and red marks on the way. If you follow it, you will end up near the elevator mentioned by Anemone del Camino... But if you are a Camino purist, don't take the elevator, take the traditional stairs ;)
The amazing Deba outside elevator:
http://www.caminomyway.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Deba-elevator-Spain-Camino-del-Norte.jpg

Same like Lunna, I also recommend taking the white and red GR-121 to Deba rather than the traditional way (marked yellow) via Itziar. The views are breathtaking! You will be following the Flysch Route. See the picture below, I'm not joking, this will be on your way between Zumaia and Deba:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/46/Sakoneta,_Deba.jpg

Buen Camino!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Anemone on this path. If it wasn't for my taller and stronger buddy I don't think I could have made it. Very nerve wracking for me!
Also many steep downhills on concrete paths were very slippery when wet. Each one of us three woman at different times landed on our bottoms. Luckily plenty of padding :)
Are there any pictures of these parts? I love hiking but do not like going down anything steep, especially by a cliff.

I've also read there are so many deaths every year? Are they from places like this or are they health related?

I've looked at a lot of pictures but haven't seen anything that looks steep or dangerous.

Thanks!

Are there any pictures of these parts? I love hiking but do not like going down anything steep, especially by a cliff.

I've also read there are so many deaths every year? Are they from places like this or are they health related?

I've looked at a lot of pictures but haven't seen anything that looks steep or dangerous.

Thanks!
There is a current thread going on at the moment, something along the lines of pilgrim rescued near Noja. Some have posted pics of said hills.

As for the deaths, Imcan only recall the one from last year, and I don't recall if he was trying tomtake pictures and lost his footing but I think we determined he had venture off the Camino to get close to the edge of the cliff.,

Thanks!
None. There is a steep descent and an ascent through the primitivo. Otherwise a normal coastal route.

The day before Deba is gorgeous. But I recall thinking how fortunate we were the path was not muddy. If you fell you would slide a bit, and hurt your ankle or knee or collarbone, but you would not tumble off some cliff.

Truth is, There are many random sections where rock or stone is loose, and there is dirt, and in a driving rain the footing would not be very solid. But an actual fall likely would only Injure a pilgrim and it would not threaten your life.

There are sections adjacent to the ocean where spray can kick up in a storm and affect footing. But here it would be unlikely to fall through the rail into the sea. More likely you would drop your phone or water bottle into the sea.

There is a stretch of road near Itzia I think, where the road shoulder does not seem sufficient. You share the road with cars there. But the section is less than 100m

I think heading into zaroutz is another narrow road shoulder and a cliff. Again about 100m.

There are many stretches on mountains and in forests between towns where the pilgrim would feel thirsty. There is no water available. No one actually complains of lack of water or suffers dehydration. But I did notice this and was glad I had brought enough.

The headland between Berria and Noja is steep and difficult - but not a cliff edge. Nothing else on the Norte worried me a jot.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you want to purchase a great guidebook with excellent maps I recommend Guia Practica del Camino del Norte (Costa y Primitivo) 2015 (http://guias.editorialbuencamino.com/productos/guia-del-camino-del-norte-costa-y-primitivo) (in Spanish but very user friendly maps even if you don't read Spanish)...which shows the Camino del Norte, alternative routes, danger and caution areas, steep uphills and downhills, albergues, cathedrals, points of interest, and scenic lookouts...just got my copy in the mail today and it is the best guide I have found on the Camino del Norte and it was recommended by several Camino del Norte Associations.

That guide is written by the same person who wrote the Buen Camino app. Is it still worth purchasing if one uses the app?
The maps on the app can be used offline.

Absolutely agree. Did the climb into Noja today and the surface is now slippery clay. We saw many people cut to ribbons from falling into the the shrubs and rocks.

I recognize that this thread is old but there may be some who are still interested. We walked the Norte in the fall of 2018 and I believe people here are confusing the climb out of Berria with the climb up from Castro Uridales and over a headland and down into Laredo. We saw the small sign that said 10k or 3 1/2 hours. We were incredulous as to how that would take us 3 1/2 hours. It WAS double black Diamond and not recommended for anyone not prepared. We climbed hand over fist up granite steps and when we reached the top we had to go through a keyhole in the cliff with a chain, thankfully attached to the rock. THEN you have to go DOWN for two hours very steeply when you are wrecked from the climb up. I will say it was thrilling and the views were spectacular but if anything goes wrong you would definitely need rescue.

Attachments

• 20180914_161755.jpg
    20180914_161755.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 26
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I recognize that this thread is old but there may be some who are still interested. We walked the Norte in the fall of 2018 and I believe people here are confusing the climb out of Berria with the climb up from Castro Uridales and over a headland and down into Laredo. We saw the small sign that said 10k or 3 1/2 hours. We were incredulous as to how that would take us 3 1/2 hours. It WAS double black Diamond and not recommended for anyone not prepared. We climbed hand over fist up granite steps and when we reached the top we had to go through a keyhole in the cliff with a chain, thankfully attached to the rock. THEN you have to go DOWN for two hours very steeply when you are wrecked from the climb up. I will say it was thrilling and the views were spectacular but if anything goes wrong you would definitely need rescue.

Hi, WayWalker,
Yes, some have also tried that. There’s a video posted there, which was enough to convince me that I would not be heading up that way. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ive-between-castro-urdiales-and-laredo.45432/

I would say to anyone wondering about coastal alternatives on the Norte— I started a thread with a lot of what turned out to be beautiful off-camino walks on the coast, and others have added on. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/coastal-alternatives-to-the-nortes-asphalt.49578/

None of the walks I tooked were anything close to dangerous, but all were gorgeous. I would recommend a GPS, though. Buen camino,Laurie

I agree I have done it and it is dangerous and stressful, can you give further instructions on how to avoid it with an alternate route?

DO NOT WALK ACROSS THE RAILWAY BRIDGE AT BOO. I once worked on a railway gang so I am very aware of what is and is not safe to do on a railway. Crossing a railway bridge is one of the latter. It is not a quiet line, it is a busy suburban passenger line and at the very least you will scare the willies out of the driver who has better things to worry about. Walking across a railway bridge is irresponsible and (of course) illegal. Either walk the long way round or take the train. It is not an official part of the camino anyway. Sorry to be so insistent, but this is serious. The clifftop walk Santona to Noja is a bit scary as well, especially if you are not good with heights, but doable (and the beach at Noja is spectacular). Roads are roads and usual caution is required. Other than that, buen camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Thanks I will certainly taken this advise. A few years back I went that hill and couldn't understand the reason for it; definitely dangerous.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back