• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are there Camino routes with decent weather in the winter months?

I wish I could do Camino walks all year, but even walks in the early spring have lots of rain. Does anyone have suggestions for long-distance walks anywhere in the world from November to March where one can expect temperate weather? I’ve done a lot in Nepal.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I wish I could do Camino walks all year, but even walks in the early spring have lots of rain. Does anyone have suggestions for long-distance walks anywhere in the world from November to March where one can expect temperate weather? I’ve done a lot in Nepal.

Yes. Australia
The Bibbilum track in West Australia is perfect. Google it. Start in Perth and walk to Albany. You can stay at my place for a few days before you set off
Gary Pinnegar

Yes. Australia
The Bibbilum track in West Australia is perfect. Google it. Start in Perth and walk to Albany. You can stay at my place for a few days before you set off
Gary Pinnegar

Would you recommend walking the Bibbulmun Track between November and March? I was considering doing so but was put off by the advice on the trail's official website: "It is strongly recommended that you do not carry out any extended walk between December and the start of March anywhere on the Track. " Do you think that it would be safe to disregard that and walk anyway? As a Scot more used to cold and damp than heat and drought I am far more worried about the latter.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I live in Minnesota in the northern USA. I’m walking the Camino Frances in Feb and Mar of 2019. In checking the temps, it seems that the weather along the CF in Feb and Mar is like April here. Highs tend to be around 12c/54f and lows are just above freezing to slightly below. For me, that’s perfect walking weather.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The OP asked about long distance walks in general. He's been to Nepal so I don't think NZ will defeat him.
Nepal also has porters and regular accommodation options. Nz is much more similar to the us through hikes

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Via de la Plata between Seville and Salamanca was wonderful weather this year in January and February. I would imagine that most Camino's starting in the south of Spain would be pretty good.

I got a couple of hours of rain the day after Seville, it soon passed. Very pleasant sunny days in Andalusia and Extremadura. It snowed about two days before the city of Salamanca, but at night time. Walking in the snow with the sun shining brightly was wonderful. However I stopped at Salamanca because I wanted heat, not snow, and much as I love solitude, two weeks of it was quite enough. Maybe I was very lucky.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
BTW, Malaga is noted for it's good all year round weather, and in February this year it was marvellous. So maybe a walk on the Mozarabic from Malaga or Almeria is worth considering for sun? I can't speak highly enough of the Almeria to Granada association, they were all so kind and helpful. I've only walked it in September though.

I got a couple of hours of rain the day after Seville, it soon passed. Very pleasant sunny days in Andalusia and Extremadura. It snowed about two days before the city of Salamanca, but at night time. Walking in the snow with the sun shining brightly was wonderful. However I stopped at Salamanca because I wanted heat, not snow, and much as I love solitude, two weeks of it was quite enough. Maybe I was very lucky.
thanks...

I live in Minnesota in the northern USA. I’m walking the Camino Frances in Feb and Mar of 2019. In checking the temps, it seems that the weather along the CF in Feb and Mar is like April here. Highs tend to be around 12c/54f and lows are just above freezing to slightly below. For me, that’s perfect walking weather.
See you on the road then Tom. I'll be the one huffing and puffing at a snails pace. But loving every minute!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Would you recommend walking the Bibbulmun Track between November and March? I was considering doing so but was put off by the advice on the trail's official website: "It is strongly recommended that you do not carry out any extended walk between December and the start of March anywhere on the Track. " Do you think that it would be safe to disregard that and walk anyway? As a Scot more used to cold and damp than heat and drought I am far more worried about the latter.
Definitely heed the official advice. That is the height of summer and the temp can reach 40c. I live in Perth, quite near the beach and wouldn't go anywhere near the Bush in summer! Beautiful in the cooler months with all the flowers for sure though

I walked Feb/Mar in 2014.

Prepare for mud and more mud, some cold albergues, a few warm pilgrims, and one heck of a good time.

You may also have to walk a few extra kilometers for an open albergue.

Buen camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked Feb/Mar in 2014.

Prepare for mud and more mud, some cold albergues, a few warm pilgrims, and one heck of a good time.

You may also have to walk a few extra kilometers for an open albergue.

Buen camino.
I’m steeling myself for the mud. The cold doesn’t worry me as much. I’ll have my trusty warm sleeping bag with me. I am hoping to have a marvelous experience.

Nowhere in Europe really - you definitely have to venture much further South! Maybe the Canaries? I did part of the VDLP in March and it was very cold and wet even down near Seville. There are a few hikes in the south of Portugal that looks ok?

I have done the Bibbulmum track, well section hiked it and can really recommend it but Nov thru March is going to be very hot and you'll see lots of snakes. I have been pretty close to standing on a tiger snake and that was in October. I had no emergency beacon (stupid me!) and could have been in a bit of bother had I been bitten. The reality is that very few people are bitten by deadly snakes in Aus - it's usually kids playing in the garden or people looking for snakes.

I have also hiked a lot in NZ. Yes as someone mentioned before the hut system is world class! $90 can buy you a pass that lasts six months. The huts are awesome too although you have to carry a sleeping bag, cooking equipment and food of course - so not like a camino!

Despite it being the other side of the world I am lucky to be able to go to NZ most years and the hut and track network is the main reason...and the fact it's summer.

There is the Te Araroa trail too which is 3000km from the top to bottom of NZ, or the other way although most hike southbound. I have done a number of the tougher sections and it can be very hard going. People that have done the American trails (PCT, AT and CDT) often say the TA is harder but I'd imagine they all have their own challenges.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back