• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are there other Churches to see in Santiago de Compostela?

aname4me

aname4me
Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2015, 2017, 2019, (2021)
This year I will have 3 days in Santiago de Compostela. I was wondering if there are other Churches to see.
Santiago de Compostela has been at the center of Spanish religion for a millennia. There must be more then just the Cathedral (open to the Public).

I came across this website that lists four other (Major) Churches.
http://www.trevorhuxham.com/2014/12/top-4-churches-santiago-de-compostela.html

Church of San Francisco
Church of San Martiño Pinario
Church of San Paio de Antealtares
Church of Santo Agostiño

So.....Can anyone share info?
Are they open to the public? When? Worth seeing?
Are there others? Museums?

Not counting the plethora of small Shops and Restaurants.... are there “Hidden Gems” to see?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Googling sights santiago de compostela will get you a list of other sights to see in town. Check them out and then come back here to ask about the ones that interest you.

Peg visited the Pilgrimage Museum while I was walking to Finisterre and she liked it. She says that people visiting it first before walking or those walking only a short way will get the most out of it.

In 2011, I visited the church of San Martin Pinario which included a museum. I don't recall if it was open all the time or if there was a fee for the museum, but it was a very peaceful and impressive interior. Also visited the museum of the Galician people with its stunning triple spiral staircase. The rooftop tour of the cathedral was literally seeing Santiago from a different point of view. This year I visited the pilgrim museum, which I thought put pilgrimage in context, and was appreciated for its air conditioning on a really hot afternoon!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The guided tour of the cathedral including rooftop was worth doing. Beautiful views and very informative. Went to San Francisco. My memory was receiving a compostella there commemorating the 800th anniversary of St Francis' Camino. That was in 2014. Otherwise nothing stood out but I think still riding the high of the Camino.
I loved wandering the streets of the old city and I've heard it's possible to see the Parador. Not sure if details though.
Enjoy!

Yes, there are many other churches and museums worth visiting. For museums which charge, such as the Church of San Martin Pinario (now a museum) take your Credencial for a Pilgrim Discount. The museum of Modern Art and the Museum of Galician Life are well worth visiting. So to is the City of Culture. Simply call in at the Tourist Office at number 63 Rua Do Vilar for details of all of this. Or I'm currently updating the Pilgrim Guide to Santiago published by the Confraternity of Saint James which includes all of this + lots of historical information and 20 things to do and see in Santiago. Available soon! All proceeds to help the CSJ help other pilgrims.

In 2011, I visited the church of San Martin Pinario which included a museum. I don't recall if it was open all the time or if there was a fee for the museum, but it was a very peaceful and impressive interior.

Visited the church in the museum which is next to San Martin Pinario this May and spent two hours in it. The artwork in each chair in "the choir section?" was impressive.

There was admission fee for pilgrim and senior too.

There was also a church, Church of Animas in Santiago de Compostela
dedicated to "soul in purgatory", not far from the Cathedral.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On the south end of Santiago, I encountered the Church of Santa María a Real do Sar, a beautiful 12th century church, with an incredible history. There is also a small museum in the building. I was very moved by my visit and hope to return on my next visit. Check ahead for the hours.
Ultreia!
elle

The guided tour of the cathedral including rooftop was worth doing. Beautiful views and very informative. Went to San Francisco. My memory was receiving a compostella there commemorating the 800th anniversary of St Francis' Camino. That was in 2014. Otherwise nothing stood out but I think still riding the high of the Camino.
I loved wandering the streets of the old city and I've heard it's possible to see the Parador. Not sure if details though.
Enjoy!

OP: It seems a bit cheesy but consider the tourist train. Im 2014 it picked folks up in plaza. I loved it. I also tour city by taking a local bus from point-to-point.

DK: I too have Fransican compostela. A real unexpected treat. Did not find out about it until Santiago.

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
On the south end of Santiago, I encountered the Church of Santa María a Real do Sar, a beautiful 12th century church, with an incredible history. There is also a small museum in the building. I was very moved by my visit and hope to return on my next visit. Check ahead for the hours.
Ultreia!
elle

My favorite other church in SdC! One which demonstrates the desparate need for buttresses, flying or otherwise, not a straight line or upright column or wall in the entire building.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back