• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are Trail Runners good?

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
You may have read my tale of woe on my other thread.... I thought I would ask this separately so as not to confuse things.

In my search for the perfect shoe I'm looking at Trail Runners but I've read that running shoes are not right for walking... And they can do more harm than good?

Does anyone here wear trail running shoes? And are they good for a long walk?

Many thanks in advance :rolleyes:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked the Camino in April and May wearing trail runner and only trail runners -- Saucony Peregrine5. No problems.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I say it depends. I have worn both trail runners (New Balance 940's) on a CF and hiking shoes (Merrell Moabs) as well. For me the Merrells seemed to give more support and stability (I'm a bigger guy). A bit more rugged, but the trail runners were lightweight, breathable and I had minimal blisters (tips of small toes). Both have pluses and minuses.
I would probably wear Merrells again on the Camino and not trail runners.

I would say yes, but all trail running shoes are not the same. This year, I've worn Brooks Cascadia for a lot of my walking. I wear Saucony Peregrine for trail running. Both are comfortable, but the Cascadia is heavier, sturdier and more waterproof. It also has a better sole and a little bit of ankle support. I'd be more confident in the Cascadia when going up and down hills (especially on slippy ground), but happier in the Peregrine on the flat.

Confusing, isn't it?! Hope you get sorted.

Haha... It's give to get a mix of opinions :D many thanks folks. The cascadia is on my short list so that's good... I'll check out the others too now :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Altra Lone Peak 2.5 or 3.0, great shoes, I have put in a lot of miles and like the zero drop design. They have gaiter hooks and velcro built-in and stay cool. I call them zero-blisters but might not be the same for all. Not the best for camino San Salvador because of the steep DOWN hills.

I know some of the so called "experts" say that running shoes are not right for walking, but I don't believe it. I have been using trail running shoes as hiking shoes for 15 years going up and down very rocky 11-1200 ft mountains here in Northern California and I am happy with them in that application as well as road walking. As always with footwear, fit is the top priority and it is different for each person. I have had good luck with the New Balance Leadville series of shoes. They come in three widths D, 2E, and 4E. I consider the D narrow, 2E normal width, and the 4E wide. For me they are very comfortable with a surprising amount of cushion. The bottom line-running shoes are fine for walking.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z7KLWCI/?tag=casaivar02-20

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Buen Camino pilgrim... What are you wearing :cool:
I'm wearing New Balance Vazee Summit. Very light weight which suits me and the current heat that I'm walking in. I trained in them all summer. (actually another pair) and there was minimal tread wear

Hi Colleen @LesBrass like Nuala above, I wear Brooks Cascadia 10 and have worn them on a few long walks. I will be wearing them on the Camino Finisterre next week. Before those, I wore trail runners, mainly due to their breath-ability and their lightness. But its all down to personal choice I guess. If you have always worn boots, why change?

Hi @clearskies... I wore the Salomon shoes gtx ultra for the last 2 Camino but this years model is different... More narrow... I've bought keen tag here because they had a specific wide fit but they are not working for me... And I think I prefer a shoe... And the liver the better I guess? Hence the idea of perhaps swapping to trail runners? I have limited choice in 2e width but there are more options in the trail runners... So just checking all options really.

I've looked at the cascadia and I don't think I can get a wide fit here in Europe? Will check again :(

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have recently bought trail runners, although not worn them much yet. What I would like to know is how to keep your heel locked in place when there is no rise around the ankle. I can feel my foot slipping forward when walking downhill with no way of stabilising it.

You may have read my tale of woe on my other thread.... I thought I would ask this separately so as not to confuse things.

In my search for the perfect shoe I'm looking at Trail Runners but I've read that running shoes are not right for walking... And they can do more harm than good?

I sure hope so because that is what I am wearing. I actually have 2 pairs that I have worn in and will alternate.

Agree with most people. Have been using trail runners for years on all sorts of terraine (both running and walking) and wouldn't go back to boots. I would advise doing all your training in them though as there is a lot less ankle support which you may not be used to and the potential to turn your ankle on steep downhills. Also, lots of different types of trail runners, I prefer the softer type (Montrail mountain masochist II + III - best shoe I've ever owned, have 4 pair!) over the stiffer solid sole type which eat my feet. I'll be wearing Montrail mountain masochist III's on camino 2018.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have recently bought trail runners, although not worn them much yet. What I would like to know is how to keep your heel locked in place when there is no rise around the ankle. I can feel my foot slipping forward when walking downhill with no way of stabilising it.
There is a way to lace them that I was shown in the running shop where I bought mine (Brooks Adrenaline - narrowish heels, wide toe box and crucially only stretchy mesh over my little toes). Hard to describe, but I'll give it a go:

The last 2 lacing holes are close together, and the very last one almost looks optional. Lace the shoes criss-cross until the laces are coming out of the penultimate holes then push each lace back through the final hole on the SAME side. Keep the laces loose and pull open the loops formed on each side - like a pair of bunny ears. Now do the final criss-cross by putting the end of each lace through the opposite loop.

Put your foot almost flat on the floor and kick your heel back so that the heel is firmly cradled in the heel cup. You can now gently pull alternately on each lace end to adjust the amount of tension - then tie a single knot and bow as normal. On my trail runners it is amazing the difference this makes.

New Balance 1210 about to wear the latest version on this Camino as well as the previous.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I know some of the so called "experts" say that running shoes are not right for walking, but I don't believe it. I have been using trail running shoes as hiking shoes for 15 years going up and down very rocky 11-1200 ft mountains here in Northern California and I am happy with them in that application as well as road walking. As always with footwear, fit is the top priority and it is different for each person. I have had good luck with the New Balance Leadville series of shoes. They come in three widths D, 2E, and 4E. I consider the D narrow, 2E normal width, and the 4E wide. For me they are very comfortable with a surprising amount of cushion. The bottom line-running shoes are fine for walking.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z7KLWCI/?tag=casaivar02-20
I wore Leadvilles in 2014 and I am wearing Leadvilles again next month the vibram soles are great wearing.

There is a special lacing for heel lock. Google it.

I wore New Balane1210 on my first CF and they were fine. The 2nd CF, I wore North Face 109 Ultras GTX and they were even better. They have a sturdier sole for all the rocky paths. I don't think boots are needed, unless you are used to them.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I wore New Balance Leadville trail runners this year from Seville to Santiago via Astorga, and then on to Finisterre Just over 1100km in 40 days - zero blisters or foot problems. I also have dodgy knees, so was fairly worried about getting the correct footwear for me. You might get more support from hiking boots, but walking with two walking poles, I didn't feel like this was a particular issue for me. The only other thing I did was see a sports podiatrist and had a set of custom orthotics made. Overall the orthotics and the trail runners were brilliant. I'd do the same again.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.