• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

? are walking poles necessary from sarria to Santiago?

bms1970

Walking from Sarria starting in 2 weeks. I have had knee trouble in the past and this has been aggravated by a fall last week. I am hoping that the knee will be well improved by the time I go but was wondering if there would be any advantage in using walking poles on this stretch of the Camino to ease any possible knee pain. I have done quite a bit of training with mainly 5-7 mile walks but my level of fitness is not the best. I would be grateful for any guidance. Thanks to everyone on the forum its been a real source of inspiaration in our preparation.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
bms1970 said:
Walking from Sarria starting in 2 weeks. I have had knee trouble in the past and this has been aggravated by a fall last week. I am hoping that the knee will be well improved by the time I go but was wondering if there would be any advantage in using walking poles on this stretch of the Camino to ease any possible knee pain. I have done quite a bit of training with mainly 5-7 mile walks but my level of fitness is not the best. I would be grateful for any guidance. Thanks to everyone on the forum its been a real source of inspiaration in our preparation.

I guess you maybe just as well off using a wooden pole.
To me I think it takes a few months to get the best out of poles(esp Pacerpoles). You could always e-mail them & Heather Rhodes will probably advise you much better. Good Luck
David

bms1970 said:
Used properly, a pair of trekking poles will reduce the weight impacts on your lower joints, and by doing that may ease existing joint pain. I am an advocate of trekking poles, but do make the effort to use them properly. The video clips at http://www.leki.com/trekking/videos.php would be a good start.

Have you considered a compression style knee brace to give you additional stability? You may want to consider whether you need to strap the knee to stabilise it as well as the poles.

BTW Wooden poles might look 'gucci' but don't offer the same advantages as modern technical poles. If you need to take the weight off your knee(s) you won't be able to do that consistently with a wooden pole.

Regards,

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi!

If you search on walking poles on this forum you'll find various suggestions and opinions. Some people find them useful for balance and to relieve stress on legs on steep climbs/decents. With a knee problem that could be helpful, although between Sarria and Santiago you won't have to face any major hills.

There is a knack to using them most effectively (which I haven't learned properly yet!). I bought a cheap (single) pole in Sarria to try a stick out for a few days and see how I felt about it. I'm not sure it helped me much, but it made a nice clicking sound that I could sing along to. :D

Buen Camino!

Poles are good for a deliberate style of walking, but I'm starting to question their value for a slow, dawdly, wandering style like mine. I'm more a tourist-on-foot. Plus, on a very steep downhill (like that to the Allier on the Le Puy route) I'd rather have my hands free.

For that rhythmic, deliberate style of moving along that you see with many pilgrims, poles are great. But that'll never be me, so I may leave the poles behind for the Arles route, whenever I get to do it. Maybe.

Best

Rob

I don't know if a month is needed to feel the difference a pacer pole makes. I noticed a substantial difference the first time I used mine. Maybe that's because I never used poles before so I didn't have to unlearn a technique gained by using a different brand but I found the Pacer poles to almost instantly become an extension of my arm and I felt the difference immediately in not only HOW I walked but how far and how fast as well. I can feel the pole gently propelling me forward on each side in tandem with the pole placement, with very little or no effort on my part.

I have heard that if you are used to a more Nordic (ski type) style of pole (one with a strap) that a pacer pole can be quite a different experience and it can take a little while to get the rhythm. But I doubt a month is needed. I made sure I watched the videos but I felt the use was quite intuitive .. my arms knew what to do naturally and if you don't over think it yours probably will too :)

Any pole will likely give you some benefit. If you use a pole with a strap or a pacer pole the important thing is to use it correctly to get the benefit. But if you do use it correctly there can be a benefit no matter which style you use.

Whether you NEED them or not is best judged by you but if you can try a pair without buying you would have an easier time deciding. It really is a personal decision. I may say YES you need them but another might disagree and be equally correct. I think the fact that you already have knee issues might be a good clue since poles can significantly reduce the impact on the knees if used correctly over the extended time of your walk.

I also find my poles useful for balance, posture and going down a decline (no matter how gentle) it is a lot easier on my knees to use a pole to cushion the blow.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
yes take some.

you can always leave them in a cafe if they don't suit

I've never got the hang of trecking poles but I do need some kind of pole for hills. IMHO the hills in and out of Portomarin are steep enough to need poles. That is because I'm old enough to be very concerned about falling and breaking a hip :(

I was last in Sarria nearly ten years ago. It was a pretty rough path back then. I guess it may have been improved since then?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Pacer pole folks claim that anti shock measures aren't needed in the design of their poles.

Pacerpole’s contoured handles control the loading and flow of movement around your hand; this makes it a natural gradual force absorber on impact. The alternative method of shock absorption using a spring in the shaft is therefore unnecessary; a spring adds to the shaft weight, and wastes energy trying to control it.
and
The handle’s shape allows the impact force to be dispersed naturally around its contours as the direction of loading moves around the hand as the pole strikes the ground – eliminating any need to waste energy controlling shaft springs.

Since I've never used a pole with shaft springs to act as a shock absorbers I can't compare with any others that do, sorry.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
When I first walked the Camino more than ten years ago I took along walking poles (this was pre- 9/11 and I just had them strapped to my pack which I took aboard the plane. After carrying them for a week and a half and not using them, I left them at a refugio. For a while I walked with a very nice woman and enjoyed our conversations, but she was using two poles and the constant "clack clack" as the poles hit the gravel or, in some cases, the pavement, drove me absolutely nuts, so I got up early one morning, told her it had been nice walking with her, took off and never saw her again. I suppose if you just walked on soft dirt the poles would be fine, but I recall very little soft dirt on the Camino. Perhaps the newer poles have silent tips, and those might be OK, but the regular metal tips are maddening to those walking with you. On the other hand, if everyone used them maybe it would sound like a castanet band.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think the clack clack clack might even get to me after a while but luckily the Pacer poles I use have rubber tips and are almost silent. There might be a gentle muffled thud on impact but I'd say it was less than or comparable to a footstep and I don't even notice it. The tap tap tap of a metal pole on pavement would probably drive me bonkers though and that was a concern for me as well, in making the switch to using poles ... luckily a non issue with rubber tips ... I am going to take spare tips as well! Plus I have found the rubber tip to have a good "tred" and therefore holding power ... there were a few occasions on my trek up Mount Doug last weekend where there was a high probability of slippage in places but I found the rubber tip helped the pole "hold" it's ground and stay firm where I placed it. I am not sure a metal tipped pole would have fared so well on rough terrain and rocks. When using the poles for balance on a slow steep climb over uneven ground you sure don't want it to slip out from under you!

the constant "clack clack" as the poles hit the gravel or, in some cases, the pavement, drove me absolutely nuts
Was there anything you could do about it?

falcon269 said:
the constant "clack clack" as the poles hit the gravel or, in some cases, the pavement, drove me absolutely nuts
Was there anything you could do about it?
Pole users can, and that is replace the rubber tips when they have worn through and expose the metal pole tip. I use a 'walking foot' which has a curved profile and provides extra traction on concrete and asphalt. This is an alternative to the symmetrical truncated conical shape tip provided with most poles, but both types stop the metal tip hitting the pavement. At least until they have worn through and need to be replaced.

Regards,

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Mmc_56 said:
And what are the thoughts on Anti Shock as compared to not ?

Dangerous & they fail,

One needs to know when one puts the pole tip down that it's down and not going further down, they are @ times our 3rd & 4th legs :D

Abbeydore said:
Mmc_56 said:
And what are the thoughts on Anti Shock as compared to not ?

Dangerous & they fail,

One needs to know when one puts the pole tip down that it's down and not going further down, they are @ times our 3rd & 4th legs :D

I don't understand your view that they are dangerous. My personal experience with metal tipped poles goes back to 2003, and I have been using sprung poles since 2004. Certainly the springs can fail, but I have found that they 'fail safe', and you can continue to use the pole even with the spring no longer 'springing'.

As for the pole tip a 'going further down', there are times in softer ground where it might, but on hard surfaces, it rarely penetrates too far. Slipping can be a problem on some rocky surfaces, but it doesn't take long to recognize surfaces where that is likely to happen.

This happens with both sprung and un-sprung poles, so I don't see that as justifying a view that sprung poles might be dangerous.

I would be interesting to know how you came to your assessment.

Regards,

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you are recovering from an injury or want to prevent one then I suggest you do everything you can to take weight off your knees.

Your idea to use poles is a great idea. We did not use them before we walked our first Camino and they made a world of difference despite our perhaps less than perfect technique. They are a great idea to take some weight off your legs and let your arms and upper body contribute to the load. Forget single pole or staff options, get two poles.

I would also consider getting pack transfers to take further weight off your back and just carry a light (2-4kg) day pack.

I like dougfitz' idea about some sort of knee compression strap.

Buena suerte y buen Camino.

Thank so much to all of you who have given your opinions on the merits or otherwise of poles.
I have decided to go ahead and get them as I am fairly certain that my knee is not going to be 100% before I depart as it is now the final countdown of days.

I have been back out walking on level ground with not too much pain but ups and downs are still a significant problem. I have also got a strong knee support which I hope to be able to use , although at present this is not helpful due to some deep unhealed cuts over my kneecap which are still very raw and painful.

I am fortunate in that my pack is relatively light but if this becomes problem I may arrange to get it transferred.

Hopefully it will all work out OK as I have been planning this journey for a long time and am so looking forward to this special time in the company of my daughter and a close friend.

Buen Camino and thanks to you all for your help and guidance

Buen Camino! You have a lot to look forward to!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back