• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Are we seeing the beginning of the end of the pandemic?

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
Today, the Norwegian government announced that all CovID restrictions will be terminated from 16.00 tomorrow. They say that we are now going back to normal life, without any restrictions, domestic as well as international. If you are going to Norway, you are welcome. No quarantine, no incoming PCR testing, etc.

Denmark did the same two weeks ago.

We are very relieved now, and waiting for other (atleast EU) countries to follow soon.

The minister of Justice said: "To those of you who want to travel on holidays, I can only say: Have a nice holiday!"

Climbing up into the attic, looking for my backpack...

Of course, other countries may still have restrictions like PLF registration demands, vaccination certificates, but, at least here, the whole country has taken a deep breath of relief this afternoon.

Other regions of the planet may not be so lucky, having had very limited access to vaccines. I hope this will be sorted out soon.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think that it will be a bit like walking to Roncesvalles - you think that you have finally reached the highest elevation on the route only to find another peak in front of you. It's only after you have made the final summit, and can see the valley in front of you that you know the ascent is over.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Let’s not rush the idea, but let’s be positive about the small successes that we have.

In Denmark we are pretty much back to normal – around 77% of the population is fully vaccinated (and counting). Now we are preparing for a worse-than-usual influenza season, them virus-buggers are determined to keep us on our toes :rolleyes:

Parliamentary elections will be held in Germany next weekend.

Angela Merkel has decided to retire and the new star in the political sky is still being sought.
Let's see who is a star and who is a shooting star.🤩
Even in the Vatican it is known: Whoever goes into the conclave as pope comes out as cardinal.

It will be an exciting Sunday evening.

For fear of losing votes, all politicians are very cautious at the moment about the corona rules in the future.

Fortunately, the situation in the hospitals is relatively relaxed at the moment.

There are interesting weeks ahead.

There are pockets of success in the US, but in other US states (like where I live) where most people are not vaccinated due to suspicion and misinformation on social media. Still lots of people dying here. I am happy for Denmark and Norway, but still worried about things in Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana in the US. Hospitals here are implementing measures to ration healthcare and there are no beds available in many communities for either Covid or non-Covid maladies. I don't want this thread to become political, and I am still worried for people here and around the world. Please continue to keep us in your prayers. I am happy for my husband Phil who is right now in Spain where the infection rates seem to be subsiding.

edited for right countries Denmark and Norway, not Sweden.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There are pockets of success in the US, but in other US states (like where I live) where most people are not vaccinated due to suspicion and misinformation on social media. Still lots of people dying here. I am happy for Denmark and Sweden, but still worried about things in Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana in the US. Hospitals here are implementing measures to ration healthcare and there are no beds available in many communities for either Covid or non-Covid maladies. I don't want this thread to become political, and I am still worried for people here and around the world. Please continue to keep us in your prayers. I am happy for my husband Phil who is right now in Spain where the infection rates seem to be subsiding.

I will keep you in my prayers!

Obviously government decisions are involved, but I hope we can keep the politics out of this thread. There is a fine line between the two, but elections are political.

Here, my day-to-day life has been not much different from "normal" for the entire pandemic, because I am retired and not very social. Thus, I am perfectly happy to continue with gradual lifting of restrictions.

I view a sudden "back to normal" announcement with suspicion. If the restrictions are lifted gradually to that point, with due considerations of the country/region's circumstances and the observed effects, it is wonderful. But grand announcements tend to be made for political purposes.

[Edited to add: Criticism of decision-making processes can get political, too, and let's stay away from a litany of the conditions in every country.]

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It is a public holiday today in South Africa, and it was so good to see my little town humming again with (South African) tourists after such a long time.

We still have restrictions, and the foreign tourists aren’t back yet, but there does seem to be some light at the end of this long dark tunnel.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There are pockets of success in the US, but in other US states (like where I live) where most people are not vaccinated due to suspicion and misinformation on social media. Still lots of people dying here. I am happy for Denmark and Norway, but still worried about things in Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana in the US. Hospitals here are implementing measures to ration healthcare and there are no beds available in many communities for either Covid or non-Covid maladies. I don't want this thread to become political, and I am still worried for people here and around the world.

When looked at objectively, the concerns for providing complete patient care in those areas of the US are directly related to staffing shortages rather than available bed space. Even at our own hospital, which services a large, agriculturally based region, there have been 149 hospital staff that have left within the last 5 months for a variety of reasons, including burnout. While this staffing shortage issue is seen and felt in most areas of the US, it is especially difficult trying to find and hire new staff at smaller hospitals in the more rural areas of our Western States.

Additionally, while many of these smaller hospitals may have a large percentages of their ICU beds occupied, that typically means that out of the 5 ICU beds in an 80 bed hospital, 3 or 4, or even all 5, are occupied. What this means in practical terms, as with our own hospital, is that ICU equipment and isolation protocols are expanded to occupy regular medical floor rooms, and nurses are floated from other units to provide care.

My wife, Jill, who is an RN charge nurse on the Pediatrics unit, has had her work hours increased to help cover the staffing shortage until new hires come on board. And, yes, she is trained to be able to work adult ICU even though that is not her preferred choice; she simply does what is needed to be done. My role is to make sure she has a good dinner before heading to work, and then a good breakfast when she gets home (night shift), and gets enough rest :)

I am a nurse as well. Thanks @davebugg for supporting your wife.
It's a self preservation thingy, too. Jill gets less hangry** this way :)

Really, it is the least I can do. Well, that and vacuuming, laundry, dusting, picking up dog poo, dishes, etc. I just want to take anything off of her plate that I can. It also lets' her enjoy her time off to relax.

** Definitions from Oxford Languages:
han·gry /ˈhaNGɡrē/

bad-tempered or irritable as a result of hunger.
"I get very hangry if I miss a meal"

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When looked at objectively, the concerns for providing complete patient care in those areas of the US are directly related to staffing shortages rather than available bed space. Even at our own hospital, which services a large, agriculturally based region, there have been 149 hospital staff that have left within the last 5 months for a variety of reasons, including burnout. While this staffing shortage issue is seen and felt in most areas of the US, it is especially difficult trying to find and hire new staff at smaller hospitals in the more rural areas of our Western States.

Additionally, while many of these smaller hospitals may have a large percentages of their ICU beds occupied, that typically means that out of the 5 ICU beds in an 80 bed hospital, 3 or 4, or even all 5, are occupied. What this means in practical terms, as with our own hospital, is that ICU equipment and isolation protocols are expanded to occupy regular medical floor rooms, and nurses are floated from other units to provide care.

My wife, Jill, who is an RN charge nurse on the Pediatrics unit, has had her work hours increased to help cover the staffing shortage until new hires come on board. And, yes, she is trained to be able to work adult ICU even though that is not her preferred choice; she simply does what is needed to be done. My role is to make sure she has a good dinner before heading to work, and then a good breakfast when she gets home (night shift), and gets enough rest :)
To address the thread title first, and agree with Chinacat's post, now let me say that it is good to know of Jill's part in the battle against Covid. My own contribution is to share this: soon after Covid overtook 'normal' life, I joined a small group of people who meet each evening, via zoom, to spend one silent minute trying to send our prayers as a support to frontline workers all over the world. I look forward to being able to close the zoom group.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Today, the Norwegian government announced that all CovID restrictions will be terminated from 16.00 tomorrow. They say that we are now going back to normal life, without any restrictions, domestic as well as international. If you are going to Norway, you are welcome. No quarantine, no incoming PCR testing, etc.

We are very relieved now, and waiting for other (atleast EU) countries to follow soon.

The minister of Justice said: "To those of you who want to travel on holidays, I can only say: Have a nice holiday!"

Of course, other countries may still have restrictions like PLF registration demands, vaccination certificates, but, at least here, the whole country has taken a deep breath of relief this afternoon.

Other regions of the planet may not be so lucky, having had very limited access to vaccines. I hope this will be sorted out soon.
While I believe we clearly have a ways to go I am encouraged and welcome posts such as alexwalker’s. We (at least I do) need to hear some positive developments whether it be thoughtful loosening of restrictions or fellow pilgrims out there walking and successfully doing so.

While I believe we clearly have a ways to go I am encouraged and welcome posts such as alexwalker’s. We (at least I do) need to hear some positive developments whether it be thoughtful loosening of restrictions or fellow pilgrims out there walking and successfully doing so.
Yes, it is uplifting.

What the health authorities say, is that the last year, fewer than normal has died, due to no influenza outbreak and much better hygiene among the population. From now on, CovID will be treated as an influenza here, serious, but not frightening. 90% of the population has been vaccinated at least once, and a complete society refuses to abide to the demands of those few who refuse to be vaccinated. Enough is enough, and we have to return to some form of normalcy, which we have done today. Tonight the country is completely open: Hugs are shared and people are out partying, enjoying a long-awaited freedom.

A backclash may come, mostly among the anti-vacciners, but our health system (free in Norway, thanks for living in a country that is civilized and cares about its citizens) is prepared.

Last edited:

That's great news to hear. Unfortunately we have a large number of unvaccinated masks are still being worn. By looking at the numbers an American is safer in Spain and France than here.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

We just finished the CF and all was well. Masks indoors and everyone careful but no Covid talk. Now starting the Portuguese tomorrow. Hoping for the same.

Can't see it for a few years, Governments around the world ordering booster shots and US government approving them for most. Wall St experts predicting billions in additional profits for drug makers the next 12 months., Covid and its variants here for a while.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back