• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are you 70+ and still walking Caminos?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
82 and have done a pilgrimage route section almost every year since 2001. Working on Vezelay this year. Doing shorter distances than I used to. 20k is a big day.
Age 82, will be 83 by time I travel. Do you stay in a hotel or an albergue? I’ve done Sarria to Santiago twice. Any suggestion for another route that is not too difficult? Someone suggested the Portuegese route. Annie

Age is just a number. I walked my third Camino two years ago at 74. I’m planning another for 2026. My 74 yo buddy did the CF with me. 6 years ago we met five guys from South Korea. The oldest was 82 and man could they party
Buen camino
Bob

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On the Invierno last month I met Angelo, a wonderful 72yo pilgrim from Piedmont in Italy. He’d started out from Almeira on the Mozarabe, and we first met on the way to Quiroga. I swear, I have never met anyone of any age who can go as fast up and down gradients as Angelo. He just eats up the ground. When we arrived in SdC on the Friday, I waved him off to walk to the coast at 0700 on the Saturday. I then saw him back in SdC just before midday on the Monday. Oh he’d walked to the coast - he celebrated his 73rd birthday there on the Sun eve.

Incredible.

Last edited:
Hi all!
I see I started this thread in 2018 and someone has resurrected it from the archives. I am here to tell you that after nearly six years I have now joined the ranks of the 70+ crowd. I leave in 11 days for the Sanabres and I feel very blessed, as many of you do, too. I prefer my daily averages to be a bit less than before, but I am thankfully still out on a variety of those amazing pilgrimage trails for now.🙏
It's great to read the uplifting posts from many of you and the inspiring people you have met along the way.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Going to Pamplona tomorrow morning. Heading for SdC, slowly. Will be joined by my 47 yr old daughter in Burgos. I am 70 + 9 days young.

Edit: Will most likely meet @Kiwi-family mother in Uterga. May bump into new Camino addict @MARSKA as well, as she should be in the neighbourhood. And who else, one wonders.

Seems this Spring will be quiet on the Forum, as many are out walking for a while.

Last edited:
My last camino, autumn of 2023, did not go well. I did not want to return. Now, looking into my future (my 76th birthday is two days from now), I am wondering if I shall change my mind and plan for another camino. It looks unlikely, with (minor) health issues to deal with for the next few months, followed by an invitation to a family wedding in late October. I shall be approaching 77 before the possibility can arise. I should like to walk the Aragones again. If the time comes when it seems possible, I shall respond to how my spirit and my body urge me. Walking caminos is one way that I have greatly enjoyed the pilgrimage of this life.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Albertagirl, you are wise to be cautious in holding off on any future Caminos for now. It is always mentioned on the forum to "listen to our bodies", which is what you are doing. I recall you do quite a bit of hiking in the mountain areas where you live, so you still have many opportunities to walk among nature's beauty as you contemplate future decisions.

When you started this thread I was too young to respond.
This year in August, I'll be 72.
And this year will be the 21st time I've walked a Camino.
I still have the VDLP and Malaga routes to finish and a few other routes I'm looking forward to starting.
My friend, Patricia Moak, is 82 this year and she's headed for the Portuguese Coastal route in September.
So I figure I have at LEAST 10 years to finish the VDLP and walk those routes I've missed!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all!
I see I started this thread in 2018 and someone has resurrected it from the archives. I am here to tell you that after nearly six years I have now joined the ranks of the 70+ crowd.
Good to see how many of us are still here and still walking! I also crossed over into my 70s since you started this thread, and I have walked three caminos since I hit that milestone— Salvador/Primitivo in 2021 (when I had a camino-ending muscle injury outside Arzua); Torres/Geira in 2022, and Lana in 2023. Hoping for Serrana + Invierno in just a few days (with the Sevilla to Ponferrada part covered by train). I don’t know how long it will last, but I am happy to be starting my 70s just like I started my 50s, with one camino a year.

You are a trooper, Laurie, and inspiration to many of us! When I have mentioned you to friends, I always refer to you affectionately as the Camino guru!
For the last two years, I have been fortunate to do two Caminos a year, although I have shortened them to under four weeks away at a time.
Buen Camino to you in just a few more days!🤗

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We are both 70+. We walked the Camino Francés in 2019 when were both still in our 60s. Last year, now in our 70s, we walked the Chemin du Piémont Pyrénéen from Lourdes, the Baztan and the Invierno, then, with time to spare before our flight home, we also walked to the Caminos Teresianos - extending it to Salamanca. Next year we hope to walk the Via de la Plata and the Sanabrés combination ...but the thought of walking from Astorga to León to walk the San Salvador and the Primitivo keeps circling our minds. We will have to see how we go and decide while on camino 😁

Great pick, Chrissy!
At 73. I was inspired by a fellow on this forum named Jose, who had finished the CF at 75.
I did my first at 73, my second at 76 and I'll do the Portugese +Muxia to cerebrate my 80th.
I now have friends all over the world from my Caminos.
They are all warm, gracious and inspirational people.
The pleasure of distance walking or "trekking" is a portal to the liminal zone and an opportunity to expand one's horizon (a rather duplicative thought!).
Great thread from the past.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Going to Pamplona tomorrow morning. Heading for SdC, slowly. Will be joined by my 47 yr old daughter in Burgos. I am 70 + 9 days young.

Edit: Will most likely meet @Kiwi-family mother in Uterga. May bump into new Camino addict @MARSKA as well, as she should be in the neighbourhood. And who else, one wonders.

Seems this Spring will be quiet on the Forum, as many are out walking for a while.
I will miss you guys by a couple of weeks. Flying out of NZ on the 29th.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am now mid 60's in age and started walking caminos in 2015 as soon as I retired (having seen "The Way" the year prior to that). I've planned a 5-6 week walk each year since then, but wonder in the back of my mind how many more times I will be able to go. After all, each new year at this age going forward becomes a "what if" regarding ailments related to health. I'm still doing good so far, but I fear the day when a potential chronic and debilitating condition would prevent me from doing the long distance walks I love.

I am encouraged when ocassionally various forum members mention their most recent Camino walked and then happen to add in their post, "I was 73 when I walked my camino last year." I love hearing that as it gives me hope that there is possibly the potential to have quite a few more long distance walks in my future...I sure hope so.

I would appreciate hearing from some of you 70+ seniors who are making plans for your "next walk".
I am 79 and will turn 80 just after the El Camino and just before we walk the Le Puy envalley. We will take 2 months walking each walk, no need to rush at our age. Buen Camino

I am 79 and will turn 80 just after the El Camino and just before we walk the Le Puy envalley. We will take 2 months walking each walk, no need to rush at our age. Buen Camino
Today I arrived in estella. What a difference a year makes. Last time it is was with my wife, now sadly on my own. The closest you get on the Camino is something very special. Only when you lose the one that made it special illustrates the importance of the journey. I am 79 and the memories of our caminos rest with me till the end.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I will be 70 next April and if I do not walk the Invierno next May/June I will be walking the Porto to following May with my (by then ) 72 year old brother. So from my view point age is not really a barrier on the Camino. Just plan ahead, a little, do a moderate amount of physical prep and pack light!!;)
Looks like it might be September this year after I turn 75!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Seventy is the new forty when it comes to age supposedly; could somebody please tell my body that🤣!!
Start my third Camino on my 70th in May ;only 35 days till my feet hit the path !
From that day every birthday will be my 70th that's old enough not adding anymore; i will be happy with that as long as i still look like Brad Pitt😉

Seventy is the new forty when it comes to age supposedly; could somebody please tell my body that🤣!!
Start my third Camino on my 70th in May ;only 35 days till my feet hit the path !
From that day every birthday will be my 70th that's old enough not adding anymore; i will be happy with that as long as i still look like Brad Pitt😉

Oh, on the contrary, I love celebrating my birthdays nowadays. I so very much appreciate every time I am still here to celebrate. Especially being able to do so by walking another camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Good to see how many of us are still here and still walking! I also crossed over into my 70s since you started this thread, and I have walked three caminos since I hit that milestone— Salvador/Primitivo in 2021 (when I had a camino-ending muscle injury outside Arzua); Torres/Geira in 2022, and Lana in 2023. Hoping for Serrana + Invierno in just a few days (with the Sevilla to Ponferrada part covered by train). I don’t know how long it will last, but I am happy to be starting my 70s just like I started my 50s, with one camino a year.
That is impressive! ai am 66 and about to do my first. I have a month of walking I would like to do...what route would you recommend for that time? I don't think Ihave enought time for
the Norte.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back