• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are you 70+ and still walking Caminos?

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
I am now mid 60's in age and started walking caminos in 2015 as soon as I retired (having seen "The Way" the year prior to that). I've planned a 5-6 week walk each year since then, but wonder in the back of my mind how many more times I will be able to go. After all, each new year at this age going forward becomes a "what if" regarding ailments related to health. I'm still doing good so far, but I fear the day when a potential chronic and debilitating condition would prevent me from doing the long distance walks I love.

I am encouraged when ocassionally various forum members mention their most recent Camino walked and then happen to add in their post, "I was 73 when I walked my camino last year." I love hearing that as it gives me hope that there is possibly the potential to have quite a few more long distance walks in my future...I sure hope so.

I would appreciate hearing from some of you 70+ seniors who are making plans for your "next walk".

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am now mid 60's in age and started walking caminos in 2015. I've planned a 5-6 week walk each year since then, but wonder in the back of my mind how many more times I will be able to go. After all, each new year at this age going forward becomes a "what if" regarding ailments related to health. I'm still doing good so far, but I fear the day when a potential chronic and debilitating condition would prevent me from doing the long distance walks I love.
I am encouraged when ocassionally various forum members mention their most recent Camino walked and then happen to add in their post, "I was 73 when I walked my camino last year." I love hearing that as it gives me hope that there is possibly the potential to have quite a few more long distance walks in my future...I sure hope so.
I would appreciate hearing from some of you 70+ seniors who are making plans for your "next walk".

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I will be 70 next April and if I do not walk the Invierno next May/June I will be walking the Porto to following May with my (by then ) 72 year old brother. So from my view point age is not really a barrier on the Camino. Just plan ahead, a little, do a moderate amount of physical prep and pack light!!;)

I met a 82 years old Norwegian guy in 2011 walking his 4th or 5th Camino. That one was from Le Puy. I just couldn't keep his pace of walking.

Geez, I better be off and start planing. Still 34 years to get there :D

So should you, Chris ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My husband and I walked from SJPDP to Santiago this spring. He was 76, walked every step and carried his own pack. We were home about 2 months before he started asking about other caminos. We will walk the Le Puy next year (he’ll be 77). He says it will be his last camino, but I know better. 😉

I’m 66 next month. Hope we can all look forward to many more caminos!

Note: Le Puy is out, headed for the Norte in May!

Last edited:
I was 70 last year, but remember age is only a number. I still feel healthy and fit most of the time, although I do find getting up off the floor after romping with the grand children an effort sometimes.
I’ll be starting the VDLP in 40 days and my mind is set that I will complete it, all that remains is to explain this to my body.
So please don’t fret about age, you can only do what you can do and as a lot of us are retired we can take as long as we like.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked my first camino this April and found more mature pilgrims on the way than I expected. It’s a delight to see their elegant gestures and to talk with them.

Before the camino, I thought one camino was good enough for me. However, when arriving Santiago I felt 10+ years younger physically and 30+ years younger mentally. This magic camino let me forget the word “age”.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When I walked my first Camino Frances in 1992 I Met a 72-year-old lady walking with her father. She said he was doing just fine but insisted on short days. I’m still limping along in my mid-70s. This spring I hope to walk the Camino Baztan backwards to Bayonne then walk to St. John and repeat the Camino Francis.
But I find that I insist on route where I don’t have to carry food and cooking gear and can find a roof if the night is wet. I think I enjoyed the experience of walks even more from an old man’s perspective. A good optimistic attitude can only take you so far though. Reminds me of a story I heard in an old movie about the man that backed off the roof have a very tall apartment building. All the way down people reported hearing him say “ well, so far so good. “

Please keep walking sir, us “youngsters” need you along the way. The deepest and most enlightening conversations I had where with people 20 to 35 year older then me. Some of the funniest also, a 78 year old australian union worker almost made me pee my pants. Such a great and funny guy, I hope he made it. He did it twice with his wife, they had to abort because she got injured twice in the same spot. He told me he left her at home this time because he wanted to make it to Santiago. Big man also, real aussie, hard as a brick. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am now mid 60's in age and started walking caminos in 2015. I've planned a 5-6 week walk each year since then, but wonder in the back of my mind how many more times I will be able to go. After all, each new year at this age going forward becomes a "what if" regarding ailments related to health. I'm still doing good so far, but I fear the day when a potential chronic and debilitating condition would prevent me from doing the long distance walks I love.

I walked the SJPDP Camino two months ago. I turned 78 years on the day I flew home after Santiago. Apart from breaking wrist bone on the second day of the Camino, I did just fine as I'm pretty sure so will you when you arrive at this same age. SO JUST KEEP ON KEEPING ON WITH THE WALKING. Buen Camino.

Well Chris you say " you are doing good " which sounds to me as if you are in control of some things in your life, but the quote :
" We can't control everything. Sometimes we need to relax and have faith that things will work out " comes to mind.
I am also in your age range, eat fairly healthily and a member of a walking group and I am positive I will still be seeing your many posts about your camino plans and encouragement for others for many, many years to come. Cheers, Mick.

Did my first Caminos this past april, the Del Norte/Primitivo. I turned 68 my 2nd day out and celebrated in Zarautz. Planning to do the Mozarabe/VdlP starting the end of September 2019.
Met a Swiss gentleman on the way out of Getxo/Portugalete who was in his early 90’s and walking selected segments of the Camino del Norte. It was his 2nd Camino.
Also ran into a Spanish gentleman. In his early 70’s doing his umpteenth camino...he was easily the fastest walker I encountered.

I was 70 last year, but remember age is only a number. I still feel healthy and fit most of the time, although I do find getting up off the floor after romping with the grand children an effort sometimes.
I’ll be starting the VDLP in 40 days and my mind is set that I will complete it, all that remains is to explain this to my body.
So please don’t fret about age, you can only do what you can do and as a lot of us are retired we can take as long as we like.
Hi there I will join you will arrive in Seville on 11th of February and will walk two or three days later cheers Anton

Ages: 68 in '16, 69 in '17, 70 in '18, '71 in '19

I met a 82 years old Norwegian guy in 2011 walking his 4th or 5th Camino. That one was from Le Puy. I just couldn't keep his pace of walking.

Geez, I better be off and start planing. Still 34 years to get there :D

So should you, Chris ;)
You're still a "young buck", Kinky, compared to many of us on this forum! You have lots and lots and lots of caminos in your future!

My husband and I walked from SJPDP to Santiago this spring. He was 76, walked every step and carried his own pack. We were home about 2 months before he started asking about other caminos. We will walk the Le Puy next year (he’ll be 77). He says it will be his last camino, but I know better. 😉

I’m 66 next month. Hope we can all look forward to many more caminos!
Wonderful!

@Waka, thanks for the encouragement! Yes, retirement is a blessing as it does allow the luxury to lolligag on the Camino need be.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Please keep walking sir, us “youngsters” need you along the way. The deepest and most enlightening conversations I had where with people 20 to 35 year older then me. Some of the funniest also, a 78 year old australian union worker almost made me pee my pants. Such a great and funny guy, I hope he made it. He did it twice with his wife, they had to abort because she got injured twice in the same spot. He told me he left her at home this time because he wanted to make it to Santiago. Big man also, real aussie, hard as a brick. :)
Just so you know, Lou, I am a gal.☺ And if I'd laughed that hard at my age I would have peed my pants! 😂

Set off to reach Santiago for my 70th birthday, the first person I met on the climb up to Orisson (and the only person walking slower than me), was an 84-year US doctor and we kept each other company as far as Pamplona. Have been back most seasons since and next year am starting the VDLP.
👍👍👍

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Well Chris you say " you are doing good " which sounds to me as if you are in control of some things in your life, but the quote :
" We can't control everything. Sometimes we need to relax and have faith that things will work out " comes to mind.
I am also in your age range, eat fairly healthily and a member of a walking group and I am positive I will still be seeing your many posts about your camino plans and encouragement for others for many, many years to come. Cheers, Mick.
Love your positive outlook, thank you!

I started to walk caminos back in 2015 (at that time I was 68) and walked several caminos since then. i.e. Camino Portogues 2016, Some of the Jacobi in Zweitzerland 2017, Camino Ingles 2017, Via de la Plata 2018.
As for now I am planing a pilgrimage Le Puy - Santiago in 2019 just after my 72. birthsday.
As far as me my 'problem' to day is that I walk a little slower that the ungsters.
So happy trails wherever you feet leads you.

I walked my first Camino in 2013 with a granddaughter who had just graduated with her Bachelor's in Nursing and at my ripe old age of 75, I figured I was in good hands if anything happened along The Way! She didn't believe in taking a bus or shipping ahead our packs so I trudged along trying to keep up to a young 23 yr old. She would stay by my side for the first 20 minutes and then she would be gone like a bullet out of a cannon! I celebrated my 76th on that trip - a trip I will never forget! So much so that I went back in 2015, 16, 17,18, and I just bought another ticket so I can leave in May---Le Puy to Santiago - with God's blessing!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked my first Camino, at age 72, in April. St Jean to Santiago in 39 days. Brought me back to the adventurous days of my youth tempered by the the peace that comes with age. Will do so again this coming Fall.

I just turned 73 and I’m walking part of the Camino in August, 2019. I plan to do quite a bit of training before that but my big concern are my feet which I’ve always had issues with. I’d like to add a question to this thread and that is, what is the best way to care for your feet while walking the Camino?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I just turned 73 and I’m walking part of the Camino in August, 2019. I plan to do quite a bit of training before that but my big concern are my feet which I’ve always had issues with. I’d like to add a question to this thread and that is, what is the best way to care for your feet while walking the Camino?
It's a kind of person to person question. Everybody have ones own idea. For my Part I'am allways using leatherboots and Merino socks. Same boots summer or winther.

My wife and I had an average age of 66 when we walked the Camino Frances in 2010. Since then we have walked Camino Portugues (2011), Camino Primitivo (2013), VDLP (2014), Camino Ingles (2016), Camino Torres (2017). Health scares prompted us to limit the distance walked on the Primitivo and Torres but we still managed to walk more than 130km on each of them. We take our time - spent 51 days walking VDLP. We are now planning the Coastal route from Porto in late May.

Not all health problems will stop you walking. I had heart bypass surgery in 1997 and again in 2015 and suffer from PVD (PAD if you are in the US).

I'll be 70 in March, and like you will walk another 4-6 weeks this year. I try to do a walk every year or two. Really trying to do something each year. I find myself walking a little less each year and perhaps relying on a taxi or two when the weather gets really really wet or hot but I enjoy the walking, solitude or companionship as the luck of the road brings to you. I too, have found myself to be the youngest in a group as well as the oldest. I hope to keep walking until unable to do so.

In my view, 70 is the new 50. Just think of how "old" your grandparents and parents were, looked or felt at your age.

My decision is to continue to try to do a Camino each year into the future, as long as health and finances permit. While I am "only" 65, I do reassess matters each year.

When my body or overall health says "bastante!" (enough) I plan to throttle back to just doing more volunteer work at Santiago. It is easy enough to travel there. I figure someone, or some organization would profit from my assistance.

Hope this helps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’d like to add a question to this thread and that is, what is the best way to care for your feet while walking the Camino?
I found on my first Camino that walking in trekking sandals (without socks) was so much preferable to trekking shoes that I no longer carry shoes. I am on to my fourth or fifth pair of Source Gobi sandals. If I do find a hot spot I wrap a layer or two of Micropore tape around my foot. I've never had a blister. The sandals are amphibious so I don't worry about rain or streams.

I walked my first camino when I was 70, starting from home on the north coast of Brittany, all along the coast round Brittany, down the Atlantic coast to Irun, then the Norte via Ribadeo to Santiago, and on to the Cap de Finisterre. Took me 5 months walking. Half way I had to interrupt for one month to get orthopedic insoles(?) and retrain. Since then I have walked the Primitivo, the VdlP in two lots, the Salvador, the Torres and this year the coastal portugues with my two daughters and five of my grandchildren between 18 and 10. Planning two weeks on the Mozárabe in 2019, two or three weeks on the Olvidado in 2021. And in 2022 and 2023 walking what is left to walk of the Mozárabe and the Olvidado. How is that for planning and generally showing off?!!

I am bitten by the camino bug and as long as I am planning I am happy. And every year I accept happily what I still manage to do.

And there is quite a long thread on this subject somewhere on this forum with lots of most interesting and inspiring contributions!

I am encouraged when ocassionally various forum members mention their most recent Camino walked and then happen to add in their post, "I was 73 when I walked my camino last year." I love hearing that as it gives me hope that there is possibly the potential to have quite a few more long distance walks in uture...I sure hope so.

Walked our first Camino when I was in my 75 year, my wife in her 56 year. We both are planning to walk again in our 78 and 59 years and then again in our 80 and 61. The camino offers us he chance to be alone with each other and alone with our friend who is with us always. We plan for our caminoes in the faith that he will provide everything that we will need and if we are not suppsed to go we will not. We long to hear the silence of each step, the warmth of his voice and the love of each of his children. God Bless you and thankyou for your post.

I am 72, last year led a group of 25 veteran virgin Pelegrinos on the Portuguese de la Costa - year before @ 71 walked the route but this time the Spiritual Variante,at 70 completed last section of the Via de la Plata.
2019 - in May, Cammina Bruganti in The Abruzzo,Italy.
In June the Primitivo and in September my veteran Rambleros again, this time on the Ingles.
Age is irrelevant - fortitude and forward planning are relevant as is a GSOH -
Bom/Buen Camino.
Ps all the above were self booked - as a concession to common sense, next year I shall use the Correos for luggage transfer.

Hi , Paddy Brock from Ireland , im planning to walk Irun to Santiago and incorporate the Primitivo into the walk circa July 2019. Im turning 72 years young on 17th March so i say go for it. Better to wear out than to rust out.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I was 69 when I walked the CF and have since walked the Portuguese route, the Le Puy-Santiago route, and the route from Arles to Leon (so far). Walking the Camino triggered an interest in medieval history and I am now in the dissertation stage for my PhD having claimed my MA at the age of 77 this past May. I see no reason to stop walking Caminos andplan my next to start in Vezelay, though grad school takes up a lot of time.

I am 74 and will begin walking the Camino in the Spring 2019. My wife walked the Camino two years ago, and her trek inspired me after many years in the law and government service to do my own Camino as a way of paying homage to my family and others in my life who are important to me. I'll be traveling on two recently replaced knees, a hip replacement, and some pulmonary problems. That said, what better way to make use of all this hardware than to walk across the top of Spain in springtime? I'm really looking forward to this trek.

I will walk the Camino Frances for the 3rd time in 2020 to celebrate my 75th birthday. Preparation, not fears, should see you through.

Four Old Guys walking, all 70 or 71 completed their second Camino in October this year. During our trip we met 5 guys from S. Korea. Three were 78 and two were 82. They were having the best of times. All of us were carrying our packs.

Age is only a number

Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Walking distance has become my “late in life” passion. My twin sister and I walked the VDLP to celebrate our 70th birthday this year. I already have a plane ticket for my next Camino in April 2019. I can’t quite imagine a year without a long walk in it...yet. So many paths to walk and adventures to be had...my head, heart and feet insist. Looks like I’m in good company here in the forum.

Hello Camino Chris . . . Life if full of "what if's" which is why I do "stuff" like the Camino, the Alpe-Adria Trail and others. I soloed the CF two years ago at 73 and it was a life altering experience, as all long distance treks seem to be, a certain spirituality, if you will. I am planning other long distance journeys and as long as I have the passion and desire to experience life, I will continue to seek out other Camino. Happy Trails to all of us.

My age, 70, has several effects on my ability to walk as a pilgrim in Spain. Because I am of retirement age in my country, I am free to walk caminos. My body carries me where I want to go, but complains at times. Statistics mean that, regardless of my health, I must pay increasingly more for medical insurance for my travels. And lastly, and sadly, I have been discouraged from volunteering for service on the camino because I was regarded as unable to fulfill the duties involved due to physical limitations, of which I was, and remain, unaware. This year I did not go on camino but enjoyed myself walking alone in the backcountry of Banff National Park, carrying a pack at least twice the weight of my camino pack. God willing, I shall be back on the camino in the fall of 2019: Madrid to Santiago via various routes. My summary conclusion: if you can do it and want to do it, go for it. Hopefully, public expectations of seniors are changing and in any case, only you know what is possible for you. You make it possible by doing it.

Hello all,
I have so much gratitude for all the many lovely and encouraging personal stories you have shared, several even bringing tears to my eyes. I hope that in five more years I will be able to join this chorus and will have been able to continue walking these amazing Caminos every year. Thank you for so many uplifting, positive comments!

Last year at age 75 I started alone in SJPP and finished in Santiago 33 days later. Carried my pack and trekked every frigging inch (EFI). A wonderful experience, even better than my other two Caminos. Being alone, I was able to easily meet others from around the globe.

It’s my plan to do it again in 2022, when I’m 80, if I can wait that long. The pull is getting stronger all the time.

"...What then? shall we sit idly down and say the night has come; it is no longer day? The night hath not yet come;
...For age is opportunity no less than youth itself, though in another dress, and as the evening twilight fades away the sky is filled with stars, invisible by day.
"
Morituri Salutamus,
1875, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

From 2004 at 65 through 2015 at 75 I walked the Camino Frances eleven times often alone in autumn and winter.

Fulfilling a dream held since university days, at 65 I first set out. I, too, wanted to experience what so many had done across time and to see what had been built along the way while pondering the myths and ghosts of history. As most pilgrims do I discovered this endeavor to be hardly a walk in the park, but a unique mix of contemporary mundane chance and historic legend. When exhausted for courage I would remember one of the timeless adages associated with the Camino, "if a pilgrim makes it to the city of Burgos, he can make it to Santiago!"

Kindnesses of strangers along the way offering smiles, water, conversation, help and hospitality were a constant support. After walking two months when I first arrived at Santiago de Compostela in 2004 seeing at last the great cathedral, touching the hallowed stones, and weeping with joy as the great bells tolled were special thrills. Overwhelmed with emotion I silently gave thanks for all that had passed. Later when sorting memories and souvenirs, I slowly began to realize that my mind and heart had been deeply changed by this journey. Thus, I decided to try to return.

And so I have, eleven times.
Each Camino has begun with both anticipation and trepidation. As always I wondered how it all will go. My reasons include non-traditional spiritual ones giving thanks for each day lived and for my life with Bill which enabled such a journey. Walking alone day after day I pondered varied aspects of the thousand-year history of this beloved route as well as recalled several quotations which help define my personal creed. "But as for me, I will walk in mine integrity...I will walk in liberty for I seek thy precepts. " Psalm 26:11 and 119:45.
" No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. " Buddha

For those who asked why another Camino?
One answer was " le cœur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît pas/ the heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing. " Pascal,
Les Pensées

Unfortunately mid-route 2015 after a fall when it was no longer possible to easily stand or walk my camino ceased; the sad, inevitable moment had come for me to stop. I reached the end of my trail....

Now as age (79) and time take their further toll hopefully my precious memories will endure as long as I. Physically I may not be walking, but sentimentally I will always "wear" my pilgrim shell.

Sincerely grateful for all the happiness that I have found and shared along the way during these past years I wish only the best for the future of this beloved route. Might all who walk find fulfillment.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes. ! I walked a part of the Portuguese caminho together with my 70years old friend earlier this year . he had short of time so we ended up in Valença do Minho before traveling back home but next year April we will continue from there to Santiago together.
It will be my 5th caminho. Hope to continue walking in the future untill I will fall down :)

Attachments

• IMG_4396.JPG
    IMG_4396.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 21
I'm enjoying all of the supportive comments on this thread as I am a member of this age cohort. Last year (2017), I did the Frances (alone) as my 75th birthday present to myself. In Orrison I met a fellow Marine who was 86. We hiked together off and on for a few days, and while we were on the trail together we calculated we had to be the oldest walking duo on the Camino at a combined age of 161.

I carried my own pack, and walked every kilometer. Way more than 800 km, actually, when counting misdirection and retracing footsteps—nothing unusual in that ;). I was in Sahagun where I first learned there was a service that would transport your pack for you to the next destination. Imagine that!

I plan on doing the Frances again for my 80th (alone). Meanwhile, weekly hikes with friends in the higher Cascades in summer; lower Chuckanut Mountain Range, and Fidalgo Island in winter. Must keep moving. Must. To the adventures ahead...

I’d like to add a question to this thread and that is, what is the best way to care for your feet while walking the Camino?
It's probably better to start a new thread or add onto a related one. For example, here are two threads - this one and this one - you might read through, to see the huge range of opinions and suggestions, and then add any additional questions. I found those threads by putting "foot care" in the search field at the upper right, and then scrolling through to the second page of results. Good luck with your feet - they are important!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
More likely you will run out of Caminos many times over, before any condition would prevent you from walking.
I am 73 and will be walking my 5th Camino March 2019

In autumn 2012 when I was a mere 64, I posted my first question here. Notice that the very first person to reply (minutes later, I recall) was @mspath. She later provided some detailed suggestions and encouragement in a personal message - which meant that I set off on my first pilgrimage with a backpack of 6 kg that held everything I needed. So she has been my role model from the very beginning!

In 2014 I encountered Margaret in the albergue in Roncesvalles, and again in 2015 we crossed paths a couple of times before she decided to stop. I enjoy those memories!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Please keep walking sir, us “youngsters” need you along the way. .... Such a great and funny guy, I hope he made it. He did it twice with his wife, they had to abort because she got injured twice in the same spot. He told me he left her at home this time because he wanted to make it to Santiago. Big man also, real aussie, hard as a brick. :)

I thought you were going to tell us he left her by the side of the road!!! Yes some of us from Oz have unusual humour!! Cheers

How old is "too old" to walk a camino?

Listen to your body - it will tell you. Alternatively. take the very conservative approach and give up now in case you get most of the way through a camino and then your body says enough (or not). Could spend a lot of years doing nothing exciting with this approach.

My first camino was 2017, repeated it in 2018 and felt absolutely bulletproof by the end of it. Am well advanced in planning for the third at the tender age of 70...

"use it or lose it!"

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Greetings one and all. I am well into my 76th year. Heading out.of Logrono for 16 days on Jan 2nd. Walked from Roncesvalles to Santiago at 74. I am thinking of starting in SJPDP in April. Body says 75...head says 45

My mother and I walked our first Camino Francés in 2015 when she was 79. We walked again in 2017 when she was 81, almost 82 when we had to stop in Sarria due to illness. We're now planning our third for next year, 2019, and she will turn 84 around the time we hope to reach Santiago.

@Camino Chris you keep on walking, young lady! Buen Camino and many more!

I'm 77 and couple of months ago I completed the CP from Lisbon in 24 days walking alone and have two hip replacements. Its not about age but the state of ones body and ones determination. Everyone who completes one of the long camino's knows that it requires determination and a body that is in at least reasonable shape. Its a matter of how do you feel.

I met a big german guy named Hans walking the VdlP. He was well into his seventies and walking his 26th camino. In 2017 he was planning to walk from Le Puy. Inspirational. I hope to run into him again one day.

I am 70, and walked my last camino this
spring, Camino de Invierno. I have walked long and shorter caminos nearly every year since 2005. If I stop it is because of the crowds, not because of my age.

I walked the CF from SJPP when I was 75. Walked the Portuguese from Lisbon the following year. This year I walked the Primitivo. In three months time I will be 79 and hope to walk the Madrid camino around May/June.
I dont think age makes a lot of difference providing you know your limitations and keep within them.

I walked the Camino Frances with my husband starting on my 70th birthday, September 10, 2015. A room full of pilgrims on our first communal dinner at Orisson sang 'happy birthday' in various languages and was THAT ever special! :) My husband celebrated his 78th birthday in October while still on the trail. My next camino (going solo) starts on April 19, 2019. Excited already! Check out our 2015 camino and ideas about my second one: www.throughourlookingglass.ca.

I walked the Frances at 68, Portuguese at 70, VdlP at 71. the Norte 72 and my next currently in planning stage is from Lourdes September 2019 and I will be 74. My partner is 5 years older and has done all so far with me. I am sure you will manage providing you take notice of what your body tells you and take it at a comfortable pace.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I love this thread. I am 67, and finally completed the Camino Frances in October, after starting in 2015. When I set foot in St. Jean that fall, planning only to go as far as Burgos, I thoroughly believed I'd be back to complete the journey well before I turned 65. Hahaha.

Well, life takes us on strange paths, doesn't it? It took me two more times, and three years. But that's another story for another day.

Once I finished, I think daily about going back and doing it one stretch. Yet I am surrounded by people, my age or younger, who laugh and say they couldn't walk half a mile. Other are thrilled they did a 5k run. Well, more power to anybody out there in their 60s doing anything.

But when I say I want to walk 500 miles, they think I'm crazy. And then I start to think, "right, I'll be pushing 70" when I head back.

I think it's important for any of us at "a certain age" to surround ourselves with others who are out there "walking the walk." It's way too easy to succumb to the culture that tells us we're too old. The fact is, if health and stamina are there, what's to stop anyone?

That's why this thread is so great. Thank you, everyone over 70 who has responded. You are the community I need to be part of. As long as physical ability is there, age is irrelevant.

Ultreia y suseia.

I am encouraged by my younger brother, a former physical education teacher, who states that I really should go on camino every year for the next ten years, since my health may deteriorate after that. What this suggests to me is that I should stop saving for my old age and just go. I should stop obsessing about the new footwear and backpack. the ideal gear and clothing, the never-ending planning, and just take off with what I can scrape together. Maybe I would discover the blessing in being one of those pilgrims that the donativos were designed for, instead of insisting on fully paying my own way (as if that were really possible).

At just 2 months short of 76, and Wes now 82, we have walked 5 Caminos and now are planning to start the Via de la Plata in March of this coming year, 2019. But I have some different thoughts about this question that I'd like to share.

Not everyone can walk a Camino, carrying a pack, in their 50s or 60s or 70s. Sure there's always someone running the marathon in their 90s but that's not typical or possible for all of us. We are all different and our bodies, despite effort, exercise, and nutritious diets, age differently. If people are regulars on the Forum it is likely they are among the lucky ones -- fit and capable at 60, 70, 80 and on.

So walk the Caminos you long to walk as long as you can, take care of your body as best you can, and learn acceptance when it is time to be kind to your body and not push it beyond it's capacity. Wes and I walk each Camino a little slower and in slightly shorter stages. We transport Wes' pack when we can. We plan each one saying as long "as we are still healthy and fit" and we don't buy our tickets too far in advance.

Yes, we see the dark at the end of the tunnel and we don't expect it to last forever -- but we will walk NOW when we can and are thankful we are still among the able.

Well, I guess you got lots of responses to this! I love them. I walked the Francés last year as I was moving out of my 74th year. Every step of it and carrying everything myself. It was such an amazing experience for me that I have booked my tickets for the Camino Primitivo in May. Before that I will do two volunteer stints, one in Santiago at the Oficina de Peregrinos and the other in St Jean Pied de Port. And by then I will be 76. Trepidations? Yes, definitely. But I have such a desire to do it and love the volunteer work. I will listen to my body and be reasonable which is not always easy, but I will do it. So glad to read all of this!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am now mid 60's in age and started walking caminos in 2015 as soon as I retired (having seen "The Way" the year prior to that). I've planned a 5-6 week walk each year since then, but wonder in the back of my mind how many more times I will be able to go. After all, each new year at this age going forward becomes a "what if" regarding ailments related to health. I'm still doing good so far, but I fear the day when a potential chronic and debilitating condition would prevent me from doing the long distance walks I love.

Camino Chris,

Let not age stand in the way. If this is any inspiration, here is a photo of an Australian man and his wife on the Camino from the spring of 2016 celebrating the husband's 80th. I took this snap on the way to Viana. I caught up with the couple later in a tapas bar in Logrono.

Attachments

• IMG_2891.JPG
    IMG_2891.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 75
Well, I guess you got lots of responses to this! I love them. I walked the Francés last year as I was moving out of my 74th year. Every step of it and carrying everything myself. It was such an amazing experience for me that I have booked my tickets for the Camino Primitivo in May. Before that I will do two volunteer stints, one in Santiago at the Oficina de Peregrinos and the other in St Jean Pied de Port. And by then I will be 76. Trepidations? Yes, definitely. But I have such a desire to do it and love the volunteer work. I will listen to my body and be reasonable which is not always easy, but I will do it. So glad to read all of this!
"Buen Camino, Joseph!" My plan is to walk the Camino Primitivo from Oviedo on May 13th at the age of 73. Maybe I'll see you on the trail. :)

Walking from Le Puy, a farmer had put out a table, chairs,pitcher of water, pitcher of fruit juice, for any passing Pilgrims. So, we stopped to enjoy his generosity. The farmer came and asked the usual question, how far have you walked? I told him how many kilometers, but added that at my age (76 yrs) I didn't know how long I could keep doing it. His wise response was, "Don't worry about how long you may do it, you are doing it now. Just enjoy the now." Since Then I have done two other Camino's and the Italian "Way of St. Francis." Now, 80 yrs I lead hikes all summer in the Sierra Nevada Mtns., and I am planning for the European Peace Walk in May. Obviously, at some point Father Time will invite me onto a different Camino, but until then Walk ON!

Hello, my name is Thomas and I have traveled to Spain from Maine in the US every summer for the past 6 years. I walked the Camino Frances from SJPDP to Santiago in 2013 at the age of 73. In 2014 from Pau in France to Pamplona at 74 on the Camino Aragon, In 2015 I decided to section hike a part of the Senda Pirenaica, the Spanish GR11 which runs across the Pyrenees from the Atlantic to the Mediterranean at 75. 2016 and in 2017, I went back to the GR11 for more section hikes of the Pyrenees at 76 & 77. This past spring I started walking the Camino del Norte in Irun at 78, however while walking through a vineyard on my 5th day walking I got dosed with a c,loud of agricultural spray and within 3 days developed severe pneumonia/lung infection. I caught the train from Deba to Bilbao and flew home. I'm planning to begin again from Deba in September and finish this possibly my last Camino at 79. God willing I will turn 80 while walking the Camino this coming autumn.

Hello, my name is Thomas and I have traveled to Spain from Maine in the US every summer for the past 6 years. I walked the Camino Frances from SJPDP to Santiago in 2013 at the age of 73. In 2014 from Pau in France to Pamplona at 74 on the Camino Aragon, In 2015 I decided to section hike a part of the Senda Pirenaica, the Spanish GR11 which runs across the Pyrenees from the Atlantic to the Mediterranean at 75. 2016 and in 2017, I went back to the GR11 for more section hikes of the Pyrenees at 76 & 77. This past spring I started walking the Camino del Norte in Irun at 78, however while walking through a vineyard on my 5th day walking I got dosed with a c,loud of agricultural spray and within 3 days developed severe pneumonia/lung infection. I caught the train from Deba to Bilbao and flew home. I'm planning to begin again from Deba in September and finish this possibly my last Camino at 79. God willing I will turn 80 while walking the Camino this coming autumn.

Thomas,
What an adventure you have had! My heart goes out to you!
Looking forward to reading more of your 2019 continuing journey from Deba.

Godspeed. Keep well and safe.
Buen camino and as always, in the truest sense, Ultreia!

Last edited:
"...What then? shall we sit idly down and say the night has come; it is no longer day? The night hath not yet come;
...For age is opportunity no less than youth itself, though in another dress, and as the evening twilight fades away the sky is filled with stars, invisible by day.
"
Morituri Salutamus,
1875, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

From 2004 at 65 through 2015 at 75 I walked the Camino Frances eleven times often alone in autumn and winter.

Fulfilling a dream held since university days, at 65 I first set out. I, too, wanted to experience what so many had done across time and to see what had been built along the way while pondering the myths and ghosts of history. As most pilgrims do I discovered this endeavor to be hardly a walk in the park, but a unique mix of contemporary mundane chance and historic legend. When exhausted for courage I would remember one of the timeless adages associated with the Camino, "if a pilgrim makes it to the city of Burgos, he can make it to Santiago!"

Kindnesses of strangers along the way offering smiles, water, conversation, help and hospitality were a constant support. After walking two months when I first arrived at Santiago de Compostela in 2004 seeing at last the great cathedral, touching the hallowed stones, and weeping with joy as the great bells tolled were special thrills. Overwhelmed with emotion I silently gave thanks for all that had passed. Later when sorting memories and souvenirs, I slowly began to realize that my mind and heart had been deeply changed by this journey. Thus, I decided to try to return.

And so I have, eleven times.
Each Camino has begun with both anticipation and trepidation. As always I wondered how it all will go. My reasons include non-traditional spiritual ones giving thanks for each day lived and for my life with Bill which enabled such a journey. Walking alone day after day I pondered varied aspects of the thousand-year history of this beloved route as well as recalled several quotations which help define my personal creed. "But as for me, I will walk in mine integrity...I will walk in liberty for I seek thy precepts. " Psalm 26:11 and 119:45.
" No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. " Buddha

For those who asked why another Camino?
One answer was " le cœur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît pas/ the heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing. " Pascal,
Les Pensées

Unfortunately mid-route 2015 after a fall when it was no longer possible to easily stand or walk my camino ceased; the sad, inevitable moment had come for me to stop. I reached the end of my trail....

Now as age (79) and time take their further toll hopefully my precious memories will endure as long as I. Physically I may not be walking, but sentimentally I will always "wear" my pilgrim shell.

Sincerely grateful for all the happiness that I have found and shared along the way during these past years I wish only the best for the future of this beloved route. Might all who walk find fulfillment.
Before knowing about the forum, when i was researching how possible it might be for an oldie to walk ‘the camino’, i had the good fortune to come across mspath. I devoured your blogs, Margaret, and since joining the forum I always marvel at how promptly, gracefully and succinctly you respond to requests for information. I didn’t qualify as a real oldie then, but I do now. And yes, it is still on the horizon to walk some more.

I was 70 when I walked the CF from SJPP to Santiago, 71 when I walked the Caminho da Fe in Brazil, and hope to walk the Camino Portugues in 2019 at age 72 (“God willing of course”.

Last year at age 75 I started alone in SJPP and finished in Santiago 33 days later. Carried my pack and trekked every frigging inch (EFI). A wonderful experience, even better than my other two Caminos. Being alone, I was able to easily meet others from around the globe.

I am much younger for decades and plan my 2nd camino fm SJPP to Santiago for 45 days (including 2-3 rest days). It is an encouragement that the more times I walk the camino, the fewer days I need to reach at Santiago. My goal: 33 days at 75.

Any pilgrims over 70 who “walked” from SJPP to Santiago in 30 days?

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When I was walking the walk of the dead from santiago to fisterra at the age of 72. I met a fellow welshman he was 75 and had walked from Valencia with a friend. See if you can estimate the mileage for that walk.

Hey Chris, my sister walked her first Camino with me when she was 75! Since that time we have walked from SJpdP to SdC. Last year in the winter, we walked in terrible weather from end of February from Pamplona to SdC with only a couple of days needing a taxi or bus because the weather was so horrendous we could not continue. We walked one day in snow, and rain with 75 kilometer winds for six hours. Three days on more than a month trip were dry! Intense down pours. She was 77 at the time! We are planning to do the Camino del Norte in the fall. She will be 79!

Why worry about something you have no control over...age that is?? You can control, diet, workouts, trails you choose, and accommodations you stay in, etc!

Be at peace and a Happy New Year! Celebrate the gift of another year you have been blessed with!

I am also mid sixties (66) and have walked the past two years and plan to do so again this spring. Two comments in response to your question.

1. I was a hospitalero last May in Granon. We had MANY pilgrims who were 70+ some through the albergue. I specifically remember a couple who met and married after both were widowed who celebrated an anniversary at the albergue and were both (I would guess) late 70's. On my own camino in 2016 I met a man from AZ and a woman from NJ (both in the US) who were in their early 80's. And, so on.

2. Recent medical research on aging dispels the myth that we begin the slow process of becoming disabled at 50 and are on a decline until death. It appears that tissue can rejuvenate and that we can maintain about the same condition were are in at 50 until about 80 with regular exercise, good diet, good relationships, etc. (Baring of course, accident and major illness.) In my own case, I know that my basic speed (running, cycling, and even hiking) has decreased over the past decade. So, there will be some physical changes. But, I believe that continuing to walk, hike, be active and (probably most importantly) staying positive can keep us young and health.

So, yes! Keep at it.

This August I walked my first one, Primitivo. Big part of that I walked, on and off, with an Australian guy, who was 72. He had walked the Norte route before turning to Primitivo, so not a bad one… He adapted his pace very well, we arrived at Santiago very close to each other, met before the Cathedral 👍

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.