• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are you 70+ and still walking Caminos?

Walked the Frances from SJPdP to Santiago and on to Finisterre in ‘16 at age 69.
Walked the Norte at age 71 from Hendaye France to Santiago and on to Muxia, then Finisterre, this year. In both cases, went on my own and was lucky enough to make great new friends along the Way. Going back with my niece in ‘19 to walk the Camino Lebaniego, do several day hikes in the Picos de Europa, all to prepare for the Camino Primitivo. Will start just east of Ribadisella on the Norte, then pick up the Primitivo and off we go. Feels like my second home over there—can’t wait to get back and experience the magic again!

Attachments

• 9A63B06C-D644-4BDF-9976-9AFB4FB9A1FB.jpeg
    9A63B06C-D644-4BDF-9976-9AFB4FB9A1FB.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 6888BC41-5E71-4B07-A947-B5EDAF7C0193.jpeg
    6888BC41-5E71-4B07-A947-B5EDAF7C0193.jpeg
    551.9 KB · Views: 14
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am now mid 60's in age and started walking caminos in 2015 as soon as I retired (having seen "The Way" the year prior to that). I've planned a 5-6 week walk each year since then, but wonder in the back of my mind how many more times I will be able to go. After all, each new year at this age going forward becomes a "what if" regarding ailments related to health. I'm still doing good so far, but I fear the day when a potential chronic and debilitating condition would prevent me from doing the long distance walks I love.

I am encouraged when ocassionally various forum members mention their most recent Camino walked and then happen to add in their post, "I was 73 when I walked my camino last year." I love hearing that as it gives me hope that there is possibly the potential to have quite a few more long distance walks in my future...I sure hope so.

I would appreciate hearing from some of you 70+ seniors who are making plans for your "next walk".
I have walked five times on different sections usually ten to fifteen days each trip. Also a couple of more strenuous walks in Austria and spent some time on the Wickow Way. All of this since I turned 65. I am now 72 and hoping to start from San Jean Pied do Port in September next. So walk as long as you feel able!

When I was walking the walk of the dead from santiago to fisterra at the age of 72. I met a fellow welshman he was 75 and had walked from Valencia with a friend. See if you can estimate the mileage for that walk.
Hey, Marty, it’s not a working day. No mental arithmetic today. But well done to ye all!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My husband and i started our first Camino 4 years ago.. he 67 and I 64. He fell in a slippery shower in Estella and broke his hip. He had a successful hip replacement in Pamplona. We returned the next hear to walk from the shower in Estella to Logroño, then Leon into Santiago. We returned this year (71 and 68) and walked SJPDP to to Leon and we did the Portuguese from Porto to Santiago. Enroute on the Portuguese, we met an 80 yr old South Korean man and an 80 yr old from New York ....both routinely outpaced us!!! We had a profound and beautiful walk this year, and just maybe, with age, a deeper gratitude for bodies and the ability to be on the way.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am now mid 60's in age and started walking caminos in 2015 as soon as I retired (having seen "The Way" the year prior to that). I've planned a 5-6 week walk each year since then, but wonder in the back of my mind how many more times I will be able to go. After all, each new year at this age going forward becomes a "what if" regarding ailments related to health. I'm still doing good so far, but I fear the day when a potential chronic and debilitating condition would prevent me from doing the long distance walks I love.

I am encouraged when ocassionally various forum members mention their most recent Camino walked and then happen to add in their post, "I was 73 when I walked my camino last year." I love hearing that as it gives me hope that there is possibly the potential to have quite a few more long distance walks in my future...I sure hope so.

I would appreciate hearing from some of you 70+ seniors who are making plans for your "next walk".
I met an 80-year old Germa guy in the

I met an 80 year old German, just a little out of Palas de Rei. He was walking with his 70-ish year old friend, who had given him the final-100k walk as an 80th birthday present. The birthday boy didn’t speak much English but I chatted for quite a while to the younger man who had done 3 Caminos already and was doing all the organising for their trip. The Octogenerian was carrying his backpack and showing no sign of slowing down on this, their third day on the road! I really wanted to see them in Santiago, but didn’t manage to find them. I thought they were both inspirational - as a 60-something, they gave me hope of many more years of walking and camaraderie.

I would appreciate hearing from some of you 70+ seniors who are making plans for your "next walk".[/
Over 70 and planning the northern route next summer. I did not feel any different from any of the younger folk I walked with at different times. (Except that I seemed to be in more than my share of lower bunks!)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am one of those you describe and am planning for the northern route this July. I did not feel I was in any way different to those younger folk I walked along with and whose company I much enjoyed. Except perhaps that I had more than my share of lower bunks!

I had my 78th birthday in Pamplona Keep on truckin.

I am 73 and will keep walking the Camino as long as my wife permits me to.

I walked my first Camino from Sarria to Finesterre at the age of 69 four years ago. Since then I've walked from SJPP to Logrono over two different trips. Heading back this May to walk from Ponferrada to Sarria. I find that doing it in stages helped me. My goal is to finish before I am 75. I listen to my body and exercise regularly. Have had a few mishaps but I love walking the Camino. It keeps me in touch with the essentials in life. When I hiked over the Pyrenees I met three women in their 40's and they paid me the greatest complement when they told me that I seemed to accomplish that challenging climb with much less difficulty than they did! Just listen to your body.

If you want to walk it, if you are able to walk it, walk it now.
Maybe not tomorrow anymore.
I prepare for SJPdP to SdC walk in April as 78 year old bonhomme.
Benny

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I too had to wait until I retired at 65 to plan my ambition of many years to walk the Camino.I will be 72 when I walk my 6th next September.To quote that old saying "KEEP ON WALKING"

Hello,
I walked my first Camino in 2015 at 73. Since then I have walked four more Caminos,The Jesus Trail, the W in Patagonia Chili, The Haute Route France/Switzerland and this past October the Aussie Camino. I do not like getting old so I keep moving and hope I can do more. So mi amigo keep walking, you are not to old, and you are too young to stop. 🙂 Bune Camino!

For my 60th birthday we hiked the Manaslu Circuit in Nepal. It is a bit different than any St. James trail in that it involves a pass of nearly 18,000 ft. The trip went great, in spite of me being the youngest in our group. We met a Frenchman in his mid-eighties on the trail.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I love this thread. I am 67, and finally completed the Camino Frances in October, after starting in 2015. When I set foot in St. Jean that fall, planning only to go as far as Burgos, I thoroughly believed I'd be back to complete the journey well before I turned 65. Hahaha.

Well, life takes us on strange paths, doesn't it? It took me two more times, and three years. But that's another story for another day.

Once I finished, I think daily about going back and doing it one stretch. Yet I am surrounded by people, my age or younger, who laugh and say they couldn't walk half a mile. Other are thrilled they did a 5k run. Well, more power to anybody out there in their 60s doing anything.

But when I say I want to walk 500 miles, they think I'm crazy. And then I start to think, "right, I'll be pushing 70" when I head back.

I think it's important for any of us at "a certain age" to surround ourselves with others who are out there "walking the walk." It's way too easy to succumb to the culture that tells us we're too old. The fact is, if health and stamina are there, what's to stop anyone?

That's why this thread is so great. Thank you, everyone over 70 who has responded. You are the community I need to be part of. As long as physical ability is there, age is irrelevant.

Ultreia y suseia.
I spend a good bit of my Saturday mornings reviewing the posts on this forum. And I do look forward every week. I did my only Camino Frances (St Jean/Santiago 30 days) in Sept 2017 at 63 yrs. Did so with my wife (Gladys 56yrs and son John 25yrs). I had planned my second for Sept. this year but had to abort as my niece was celebrating her "quince años" that month and I would not be forgiven had I missed it! As an alternative "walk" I booked and did the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, Peru. This time three of us were joined by my daughter Adeline 28yrs. My next "scheduled" Camino is for June 2019. I am still debating a repeat Frances or a new Norte. As I share my experiences with my friends they think I am crazy. But we know what it truly is. I just say that the Camino cannot be "described", you need to live and experience it. I know I will walk towards the sunset many more times before the sun, at my age, finally sets. Many of us are "called" and we answer that call. Be it the cancer survivors, career women, newly weds or newly divorcees or just ordinary retirees and good old folk. We do what we enjoy and enjoy what we do. Sometimes I sit back and wish I had "discovered" el Camino when I was 20, but shudder it off as probably at that age it would not have appealed to me. To all, Buen Camino and Ultrea!!

I just turned 73 and I’m walking part of the Camino in August, 2019. I plan to do quite a bit of training before that but my big concern are my feet which I’ve always had issues with. I’d like to add a question to this thread and that is, what is the best way to care for your feet while walking the Camino?
Did my first Francés last year at 74 and would be glad to share info with you. Managed it to my astonishment without blisters!

Walked my first camino (SJpdP - SdC - Finistere - Muxia) in 2016 at age 73. Promises exchanged on the camino led to my first half-marathon a few months later. A personal vow made in Muxia has led to my fourth camino (Lisbon - Santiago) this year (at 75) and plans for Norte and la Plata in 2019 and 2020. Then at least one each year while I'm still young (or older) as long as I can still walk . . .

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi I am a 73 year old petite woman and feel 50 and have been told I look young. I walked the Camino Francis solo doing18 to 20 mile days last spring carrying my own backpack and enjoyed the walker high I felt speeding along. I walked again in September with a 60 year old woman who complained about knee pain the entire trip, ate junk food and drank only white wine and she felt terrible.
After a while she ate better and stopped complaining and was able to walk 15 mile days at a good pace. The only thing I have noticed as I age is a slower recovery time after an injury or pushing myself to keep up with an interesting 20 year old.
Age is just a number in my opinion. I meet so many people that expect a number to change their ability. Keep fit , eat right and be happy and live every moment of the precious life fully. Also drink red wine.

I

Never fear! I stayed in a hostel with a German lady who said she was 76. The next night we were in another hostel and she pointed out another pilgrim to me. This other pilgrim had told her that she gave her ten years ie. she was, at least, 86.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We walked our first Camino in 2015 as well and while we are younger than many pilgrims, I did feel inspired by two men that we crossed paths with on several occasions. They were a Father and son pair from Denmark and the Father was 83 and blind. The son had a short rope with several knots tied along the the length, The rougher the stretch of trail the shorter they would hold the rope. It was quite amazing and we struggled to keep up with them, they really covered quite a distance each day. We stopped one day at a church just down from Zubiri and the lady told the man to sit in the pew and she would lead the son up the stairs to ring the bell, The father said "my son can sit, I will ring the bell". We saw them a few more times but we could not keep up with them, I would like to place the blame on our 8 year old son, but I do not think we could have matched their pace either way. That man was an inspiration for me and I think of him often.

Yes, I am in my mid-seventies and still walking. It is my passion! In April the Robert Louis Stevenson in France!

I walked from SJPDP, to Santiago in twenty one days in 2017, turned 72 the following day.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I met LOTS of 70+ folks on my Camino! Their wisdom compensated for their age, for the most part (most actually trained before setting out). My buddy Sarah from Washington was 80 at the time (2016) and this year she did it again!

All I can saw is WOW!...Way more stories than I ever thought this thread would bring. So encouraging! I am happy for all of you, and I am feeling more confident that I can "keep on keepin' on"!

Born in 1947. Camino Frances and Portuguese in 2017, 600 miles on Via Francigena 2018 and planning Norte for next spring!! You've got lots more ahead!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I am 66 and my husband 69. We have always loved to walk but our true hiking days this year haven't been more than 8 or 9 miles (up in the Cascade Mountains where the elevation can be up to 2300 feet). But we are not athletes or driven. Isn't it more about the adventure than the walking? We have no expectations and have no intention of pushing ourselves to do 15-20 miles a day! We plan to walk however long we choose each day and stop when we want to. Retired, we have no time limits which is great. I've had health issues that slowed me down some, but why should I insist that I push myself so hard I can't enjoy the walk and sites? We might take 20 days instead of 10. If you are in reasonable shape, why not allow yourself to walk 5-6 miles a day if you wish? A nice cafe will await you and a good book. If it's pouring rain, we will hole up in a hotel and read. We are not competing or on a race to see how far we can go in one day. Let it go! The enjoyment should be in the journey, not the distance you can manage.

At just 2 months short of 76, and Wes now 82, we have walked 5 Caminos and now are planning to start the Via de la Plata in March of this coming year, 2019. But I have some different thoughts about this question that I'd like to share.

Not everyone can walk a Camino, carrying a pack, in their 50s or 60s or 70s. Sure there's always someone running the marathon in their 90s but that's not typical or possible for all of us. We are all different and our bodies, despite effort, exercise, and nutritious diets, age differently. If people are regulars on the Forum it is likely they are among the lucky ones -- fit and capable at 60, 70, 80 and on.

So walk the Caminos you long to walk as long as you can, take care of your body as best you can, and learn acceptance when it is time to be kind to your body and not push it beyond it's capacity. Wes and I walk each Camino a little slower and in slightly shorter stages. We transport Wes' pack when we can. We plan each one saying as long "as we are still healthy and fit" and we don't buy our tickets too far in advance.

Yes, we see the dark at the end of the tunnel and we don't expect it to last forever -- but we will walk NOW when we can and are thankful we are still among the able.

I will be 76 in April and am also planning to walk VDLP in 2019. This will be my 5th camino and I always attack them as I would a marathon. Despite always promising my wife that I will take it easy and enjoy the scenery I am an absolutely hopeless case. Last year it was Lisbon to Santiago in 3 weeks - totally senseless but age has not produced a man at peace with himself. But I do love it!

€60,-
I will be 76 in April and am also planning to walk VDLP in 2019. This will be my 5th camino and I always attack them as I would a marathon. Despite always promising my wife that I will take it easy and enjoy the scenery I am an absolutely hopeless case. Last year it was Lisbon to Santiago in 3 weeks - totally senseless but age has not produced a man at peace with himself. But I do love it!
@Otmoor22
If you love it, why not be at peace with how you do it? Or might this be guilt for promising your wife to do your camino in a way that does not feel right to you? Many of us repeat camino addicts see ourselves as "an absolutely hopeless case." But I hope that we make our peace with ourselves, with how we do it, and just enjoy the Way.

I’m now 72 and planning to walk again this year. Thinking Camino Primitivo starting March 5th. Looking for help on that for the time frame I’ll be there. I have 21 days door to door from the US. If not a good time for that route I have a few alternate routes I can do. I started all this on after watching the Way did some research and four weeks later I was there. My first was Sarria to Santiago then from Cee to Finisterre and Muxia I had 12 days door to door. Last year I had 15 days and did the Portuguese from Porto to Santiago and again Finisterre to Muxia. Someday I hope to have more time and do a longer hike if I remain healthy enough. I really love being out there an met some truly wonderful people along with beautiful sights and spiritual feelings. Joe

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi I am a 73 year old petite woman and feel 50 and have been told I look young. I walked the Camino Francis solo doing18 to 20 mile days last spring carrying my own backpack and enjoyed the walker high I felt speeding along. I walked again in September with a 60 year old woman who complained about knee pain the entire trip, ate junk food and drank only white wine and she felt terrible.
After a while she ate better and stopped complaining and was able to walk 15 mile days at a good pace. The only thing I have noticed as I age is a slower recovery time after an injury or pushing myself to keep up with an interesting 20 year old.
Age is just a number in my opinion. I meet so many people that expect a number to change their ability. Keep fit , eat right and be happy and live every moment of the precious life fully. Also drink red wine.
'tis the Great Elixer...

I'm 74 and getting ready for my second Camino. I intend to keep doing it until I drop dead. I have major back problems, knee replacement, feet problems and much more. "Keep on movin' no matter how much it hurts" and in Winston Churchill's words: "NEVER GIVE UP"

I am much younger for decades and plan my 2nd camino fm SJPP to Santiago for 45 days (including 2-3 rest days). It is an encouragement that the more times I walk the camino, the fewer days I need to reach at Santiago. My goal: 33 days at 75.

Any pilgrims over 70 who “walked” from SJPP to Santiago in 30 days?
My first Camino in 2013 with my granddaughter it took us 31 days with one rest day at my age of 76.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

This year during my voluntering in Santiago I met a Japanese gentleman off 80 years old who walked from SJPdP with his wife .
And a gentlemen from South Africa off 81years old who walked from SJPdP with his girlfriend in 34day's .
The bottom line is , when you stay healthy the sky is the limit.
Wish you all a wonderful and healthy 2019

My friend and I both walked (separately) a Camino in 2013, I walked a part of the Levante/de la Plata/ Saureste, he walked a section of the Frances. This trip, at least for me, infected me with the Camino "bug". We were each about 76 at that time. I am currently building up after a series of hospital admissions and he also has had medical problems. If fit enough by then, we are planning to walk the Primitivo from Oviedo in September and October, in about 18 days (in deference to our age by then) taking the Camino Verde across to the Camino del Norte, and an off Camino route through O Pena from Biomorto to Lavacolla to avoid the Frances as much as possible. We have a lifetime of long walks under our "belts". Much planning has taken place on my part, as my plans have been baulked several times since 2013 by medical issues. The worst "hit" is that the insurance companies view my age as an imposition, with my previous medical conditions bringing a large penalty for insurance for the month or so I'll be away. So much so, that the travel insurance is going to cost me as much as the air fare from Sydney! We don't travel across the world very often. (25 hours to Paris)

Yes, I celebrated my 75th and 76th birthdays on the Camino. I am hoping to return in May to celebrate my 77th, in June. I regret that I didn't start sooner. In Santiago, I saw a woman who had taken her father on the Camino for his 80th birthday. He was a happy camper. Next year, I plan to shorten my miles each day. This year, I fell in with a fast crowd---29 days was too fast. The over-60 demographic continues to grow. About 18% in 2018. Why? Because we see so many other seniors on the trail. Why not? You will have a great time---just make sure that you allow enough time. You don't want to rush. Take your time and savor the experience.

I love reading this thread, thank you to all of you for your answers to Camino Chris. All of you have such a positive outlook and it is so inspiring. I know many people are not able to walk the Camino due to health problems but I hope I'll be able to do it for many years - I'm only 57. When I tell my family and friends that I'm off for a walk in Spain, they shake their heads and ask me why I doing it again and again. I need people like you guys to reflect my dreams and hopes for the future.
Buen camino to all of you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just turned 73 and I’m walking part of the Camino in August, 2019. I plan to do quite a bit of training before that but my big concern are my feet which I’ve always had issues with. I’d like to add a question to this thread and that is, what is the best way to care for your feet while walking the Camino?
It's a kind of person to person question. Everybody have ones own idea. For my Part I'am allways using leatherboots and Merino socks. Same boots summer or winther.
As Flem said it is a very personal thing. Which shoes to wear. You didn’t mention what your problems were and o am no expert. I have noticed very unscientifically that more people in boots seemed to get blisters then those in running shoes. They are also a lot heavier to wear.
Before my first Camino I started training with Merrells that the outdoor store said is the perfect shoe. Within a week of training I had blisters on both feet. A friend then took me to a running store that was owned by one of the top ultramarathoners in the world. When I told him I was doing a Camino here and two other ultramarathoners who are working where all pointed to Brooks running shoe called Cascadia. For a Camino’s and 4000 km later I have had a total of four blisters none of them serious. So that’s what works for me.
But like Felm said everybody is different. There is tons of information if you check out this website some of it is very good. Most of it is subjective but you may read someone’s story that sounds just like you. The most important thing you can buy in a Camino his number to your backpack and number one your shoes. Buy them both train with them both and see how you feel. One last thing no matter how much you train It really can’t reproduce what happens on the Camino. My recommendation is just get into shape don’t kill yourself training and when you start to walk listen to your body go when it tells you to go and rest when it tells you the rest. When you get a blister attend to it if you have an injury rest don’t push yourself no good ever comes from that.

@Camino Chris , tena koe, thanks for this thread.

I started training, weight reduction and gear assembly a few days after my 70th birtday.

I started from Le Puy aged 74 (in 2016). On the afternoon of my 5th day, a few kilometres from my intention of Sainte-Come d'Olt, I paused for a few moments on a thoughtfully provided bench beside a pool in a wooded glade. Within a few minutes two old buggers surpised me (see George Bernard Shaw) and we tip-toed around who had the biggest age and discovered we three were all post 70.

Less than four weeks later I was at Zalbadika (next stop Pamplona): the young ones wanted to know how was I amongst the fastest, as they saw it, on the pull up from Saint-Jean. I though I was very slow, but I hadn't stopped (through fitness and technique).

In 2017, having retired hurt in 2016, I returned to Estella-Lizarra and carried on.

Aged 76 (in 2018) I began walking from Canterbury Cathedral towards Rome. My intention was to take stock at Reims - both of me and of the route ahead. I carried on completing nearly 600 km in three weeks with two rest days (Arras and Reims) and had many interesting and fascinating experiences. Not the least was the coincidence of being, as it was 100 years ago, in British Commonwealth held territory for the first week, German held territory for the second and French held for the third. And passing through or near the site of many battles from that time and one case from 1815 and one from 1870. And to learn, from a short film at the Wellington Tunnel at Arras, that these (and those back over the centuries) could be thought of as European Civil Wars.

I am not intending to traipse to Europe in 2019 - once the cost of getting there from the uttermost ends of the earth and back, including travel insurance, are factored in.

But I hope to return to Chaumont-en-haut-Marne in 2020 and continue to Rome at my now customary speed, modified to the needs of each day.

Kia ora katoa (good health to you all)

Last edited:

€60,-
I walked my first CF in 2017 at the age of 68 and I plan to walk it again in Sept/Oct 2019 when I will have reached 70 . I am very fit for my age and as long as I can maintain that fitness , regardless of age ,I will continue to return to the Camino.

Hey Chris, my sister walked her first Camino with me when she was 75! Since that time we have walked from SJpdP to SdC. Last year in the winter, we walked in terrible weather from end of February from Pamplona to SdC with only a couple of days needing a taxi or bus because the weather was so horrendous we could not continue. We walked one day in snow, and rain with 75 kilometer winds for six hours. Three days on more than a month trip were dry! Intense down pours. She was 77 at the time! We are planning to do the Camino del Norte in the fall. She will be 79!

Why worry about something you have no control over...age that is?? You can control, diet, workouts, trails you choose, and accommodations you stay in, etc!

Be at peace and a Happy New Year! Celebrate the gift of another year you have been blessed with!

Thought this quote fit the bill!14F4E714-F994-4B5B-B1DF-5DE29583AF23.jpeg

D
we are two old men from Cornwall, we walked the camino frances last year. We took a leisurely seven weeks slowed the last week to time our arrival meeting our wives in Santiago I am 72 my pal is 75 .keep going we will Arthur.

€60,-
I walked my first Camino from Porto to Santiago in the spring of 2017. I was 75 and the youngster with my walking partner who celebrated his 87th birthday while walking. I walked the Via Francigena from San Gimignano to Rome in 2018 at 76. My friend was undergoing chemotherapy for Lymphoma and could not make it. However I was joined by two good friends, (79 & 73) and my son who was 53. We organized both pilgrimages on our own. Both great blessings. We are considering doing sections of the Camino from France this year...the first 5 days and then the final 100K. My, now 88 year old friend who successfully finished his chemo, would like to join. It would be a wonderful blessing. No commitment yet, but considering.
Let's all pray for a peaceful 2019 and that God continues to bless us with good health and the desire to follow His will.

Hi. I'm turning 67 in a couple of months, and I did my first Camino in 2011 (only 12 days) and my next was 2014 from Pamplona to Santiago in 28 days. I plan to walk every year as long as I can, and if I can't do a full month or more, then I will do less.
On my first Camino I met an Italian couple. They did their 9th full Camino Frances and they were both over 80 years! Great couple, I think their average days walk was around 27-28 km.
So there is hope for us ;-D
Buon Camino!

I celebrated my 71st birthday on the way from Sarria to Santiago, and my 73rd on the way from
Lisbon carrying my own pack all the way. No, I'm no fitness fanatic and walked the Lisbon camino with very nominal preparation compared to some on this forum. We walked 31 days over 6 weeks from
Lisbon averaging about 25km per day. YMMV

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked the Frances at 68, Portuguese at 70, VdlP at 71. the Norte 72 and my next currently in planning stage is from Lourdes September 2019 and I will be 74. My partner is 5 years older and has done all so far with me. I am sure you will manage providing you take notice of what your body tells you and take it at a comfortable pace.

I hope to have the opportunity to walk the Camino Frances in October 2019 and depending to work obligations may be able to start in September in Lourdes. Do you have any planning guides for the portion of the way between Lourdes and SJPdP you could recommend?

Thanks -
Laura

My husband is 73. I am 69. We did Camino Frances 2015 and 2017. Then Le Puy, France to SJPP IN 2018. We are planning on doing a Camino every year !! Just keep walking, stay in shape. Know you can do whatever you set your mind to.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I began my May '18 Camino Frances in SJPdP, eating breakfast while sitting across from an 80 year old Argentinian man and an 81 year old Japanese man, each planning to hike to Santiago. They are pictured here ... 1328.JPG

Last edited:

As the information in these numerous replies suggests 70 is no barrier if one is basically fit and enjoys a regime of walking. I have had dogs to walk my whole adult life. I will be 77 in March and have done the Norte from Santander in 2016-7 and 50% of the Frances in 2018, and will return to finish this coming summer. I would like to have done the whole Frances but sadly issues at home don't allow more that 15 days walking at any one time. Barring serious illness and problems such as knees, hips and legs in general, I expect to be walking Spain for some time to come!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My wife and I are planning Porto to Santiago in June. i will be 73 and my wife 67. We have been walking the camino and the via francigena since 2008 and this will be our 6th walk. 3 caminos an 2 legs of via francigena.

One concession this time will be mainly hotels as the novelty of sleeping in dorms had well and truly worn off

The next walk will be our shortest and I think the easiest. We are not fitness fanatics but walk regularly to keep fit. One must not dwell on how old we are or we would probably just fade away

I walked my first Camino at 68 from St Jean PdP to Santiago and with some byways and side visits managed to clock up 1100 kms. Among my walking companions was an 80 year old Saint from Denver Colorado, and a Mum with her 5 year old daughter from Austin Texas, next year will be my third Camino at age 72. I met many impressive people on the Camino who were coping with afflictions great and slight. If you prepare properly, keep the weight in your rucksack down, walk sensibly with proper equipment, it is one of the most spiritually uplifting things you can do and within the capabilities of any fit person, in my opinion.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked the SJPDP Camino two months ago. I turned 78 years on the day I flew home after Santiago. Apart from breaking wrist bone on the second day of the Camino, I did just fine as I'm pretty sure so will you when you arrive at this same age. SO JUST KEEP ON KEEPING ON WITH THE WALKING. Buen Camino.
Not quite sure where to post this and the question! Do these steps lead to Pamplona? I reached this part after crossing the bridge and having coffee at the Cafe immediately after the bridge. I think my brains were surely cooked as it was a stinking hot day. All I really noticed was the sign at the Cafe that proclaimed : Pamplona and thought, well I'm here and that wasn't so bad! Only to have some Pilgrims at the next table saying, hurry up guys we still have a long way before Pamplona! I only saw one other person while I walked here. There were many signs at the park below but they were quite confusing. One of the locals pointed me in the direction of these steps. The steps were not visible from the bottom, I had claimed a good bit before I came upon them. Need I say there was no shade at all till I got to the over pass. Oh, there was a man selling fruit and cold drinks from a battered old van about a klm or so from the overpass. There was not a single sign after the one way below the steps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190102-203858.jpg
    Screenshot_20190102-203858.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20190102-203858.jpg
    Screenshot_20190102-203858.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
My first camino was in 2007 during which I celebrated my 60th birthday in Rabanal with my camino family.
Since then I have walked every year ,many different routes and this April my son and I will walk my 14th camino, Norte/Primitivo. I will turn 72 in May. God willing I can keep going for a few more years yet.

So you see Chris, there are many, many pilgrims walking into their 80's, although I consider that age is only a number and health, fitness and a positive attitude are what counts. When I was 70 I backpacked around the world for 3 years, trekking in many countries including 9 treks in Nepal. When 79 in 2010 I walked from SJPDP to Finisterre, in 2011 from Oloron in France to Santiago, in 2013 I walked 300 kms of the VDLP but found it hard so for a holiday I walked from Pamplona to Santiago and then the Portuguese from Porto to Santiago. In 2015 at the age of 84 I was a hospitalero at Estella and walked from Pamplona to Carrion de los Condes (this time using baggage carrying service). Unfortunately I have a health problem (due to insufficient walking I suspect!) so I have walked my last Camino. So instead I formed Camino walking group last year which now has 160+ members with each year more members walking the Camino.

When I was walking my last Camino, , I heard of a Canadian lady ahead of me who was 90 yrs old but complained that she had to use the baggage carrying service these days!

David you are an inspiration. I remember getting a hug from you in the Parochial in Estella. :)

we are two old men from Cornwall, we walked the camino frances last year. We took a leisurely seven weeks slowed the last week to time our arrival meeting our wives in Santiago I am 72 my pal is 75 .keep going we will Arthur.
I am getting itchy feet , no big walks this year. Plenty of beautiful walks in Cornwall need to finish walking around our coastline .Looking at 2020 maybe walking the first part sjpd to sarria we enjoyed that part the most.

I walked SJPDP when I was 72 carried my pack except for 3 days. It took 35 days including a break in Burgos and Leon. Did 12 days from Le Puy when I was 75 and in April 2019 I plan to walk the Portuguese from Porto but I plan to have my pack carried. I will be 79. I just hope my knees hold out!
It’s summer in New Zealand so working hard at fitness right now.

I hope the Albergues give me a youth discount when I start in 26 days, (gulp!)
I'm only 69yrs. old.
PS. The Avatar on the left<<< is wrong. I'm doing the Frances from Pamplona.

€60,-
Do you know if we can tweak our profile name a bit? I tried, but it doesn't seem to be an option, however, I am techy challenged!

It's a little like the adverts that say, "We can make you ten years younger" It's smoke and mirrors. I haven't found out how to do it either.

I walked my first camino in 2009 at age 70. I did very little training and had never been a walker..but pretty much fit through no effort on my part.
We walked the CF in mid-March with very little difficulty...and have walked every year since then. Some years I have walked more than one camino. Backpacks were called "backpacks" back then...not "luggage":) and everyone carried their own unless physically challenged. We still do. There were fewer albergues and the commercial atmosphere was much lower.

We moved (this month) from Seattle to Arizona and am just getting back into walking. A very different walking environment in Arizona. I have been walking long distances in the desert among the cactus and the drastic change in location makes the walking a lot more interesting.

I have walked in Italy, on the CF in January...the Via de la Plata in mid-August and most of the other seasons on various routes. We plan to go again later this year.

Physical challenges affect people of all ages...not just those who have a few more years. The number of years is not a factor...just the fitness level and physical condition. Age is just a mental block that gives one an excuse for not moving on.
Be strong.

Last edited:

Hello - I’m 72 and planning my first for this May. I’m cross-training at home: yoga, gym, long walks and hikes, interval running, canoeing, whatever I can manage. I don’t push, just keep going at a comfortable pace.
I found a front pack at AARN from New Zealand to balance the weight for my back so I can walk more upright, and am keeping the weight under 7 kg.
I don’t expect to walk more than 15 km/day, so I’m still trying to figure out which stretch if the CF to take for beauty, interest. Suggestions?

I walked my first camino in 2008 at age 70. I did very little training and had never been a walker..but pretty much fit through no effort on my part.
We walked the CF in mid-March with very little difficulty...and have walked every year since then. Some years I have walked more than one camino. Backpacks were called "backpacks" back then...not "luggage":) and everyone carried their own unless physically challenged. We still do. There were fewer albergues and the commercial atmosphere was much lower.

We moved (this month) from Seattle to Arizona and am just getting back into walking. A very different walking environment in Arizona. I have been walking long distances in the desert among the cactus and the drastic change in location makes the walking a lot more interesting.

I have walked in Italy, on the CF in January...the Via de la Plata in mid-August and most of the other seasons on various routes. We plan to go again later this year.

Physical challenges affect people of all ages...not just those who have a few more years. The number of years is not a factor...just the fitness level and physical condition. Age is just a mental block that gives one an excuse for not moving on.
Be strong.

I celebrated my 70th birthday on the Camino in May 2018 - I was walking with my granddaughter. I loved it so much that I returned in September with a friend (Granddaughter back to university, alas!) I really want to go back this May but I want to start in St. Jean Pied de Port and would like a hiking companion... I plan on going back each spring and fall as long as I am in good health... Anyone looking for a hiking companion?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wow, Janine, you definately will be well prepared for the Camino in May! All your activities sound like such a nice variety! My favorite is walking about 13 miles a day, but I've gone up to 20 on occasion.
I love so many of the different sections of the Camino Frances, it is hard to choose! I don't know how many weeks you have, which may give a better idea. I'm sure others will chime in with an opinion as well. No matter what, you may become enamoured with these many ancient paths!

I have just passed on my hiking poles to a friend who is mid 70s and heading off in May for his 1st Camino. He is walking the Frances starting SJPP. He has come through recent knee surgery, and training well with long walks. So my poles at least are off on their 2nd Camino. I think he is a marvel, and I want to be just like him, doing Camino’s well into my 70s and beyond....Buen Camino to him.

looks Like I will be walking the Camino with many my age. I start in St Jean on my 77th Birthday Sept 18. Will meet up with my wife in Leon on 15 Oct and finish in Santiago whenever. Walking with my backpack and staying Alburgues except in Pamplona and Logrona, Note: extra day there, Rioja will ruin one day,

looks Like I will be walking the Camino with many my age. I start in St Jean on my 77th Birthday Sept 18. Will meet up with my wife in Leon on 15 Oct and finish in Santiago whenever. Walking with my backpack and staying Alburgues except in Pamplona and Logrona, Note: extra day there, Rioja will ruin one day,
Buen Camino! I hope to return in September too. May and September yearly as long as I can keep on trucking!

I have just passed on my hiking poles to a friend who is mid 70s and heading off in May for his 1st Camino. He is walking the Frances starting SJPP. He has come through recent knee surgery, and training well with long walks. So my poles at least are off on their 2nd Camino. I think he is a marvel, and I want to be just like him, doing Camino’s well into my 70s and beyond....Buen Camino to him.
I think I have found my walking partner: my granddaughter wants to come again after her last exam mid-April! Yippy! We had so much fun the first time!

Hello - I’m 72 and planning my first for this May. I’m cross-training at home: yoga, gym, long walks and hikes, interval running, canoeing, whatever I can manage. I don’t push, just keep going at a comfortable pace.
I found a front pack at AARN from New Zealand to balance the weight for my back so I can walk more upright, and am keeping the weight under 7 kg.
I don’t expect to walk more than 15 km/day, so I’m still trying to figure out which stretch if the CF to take for beauty, interest. Suggestions?
I found up to Burgos much more interesting than Burgos to Leon but it's all good! I will be there in May too and will turn 71 on the Camino. Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked my first last May and celebrated my 70th on it. I loved it so much that I went back for a month in September and am going back this May. I plan on going twice a year. It is so beautiful and relaxing. And it is wonderful to meet wonderful people from all over the world. I am going back with my granddaughter as soon as she has her last exam behind her; she accompanied me last May and like me, has become an addict. It took us only one drink:)

I walked my first last May and celebrated my 70th on it. I loved it so much that I went back for a month in September and am going back this May. I plan on going twice a year. It is so beautiful and relaxing. And it is wonderful to meet wonderful people from all over the world. I am going back with my granddaughter as soon as she has her last exam behind her; she accompanied me last May and like me, has become an addict. It took us only one drink:)
Aha - I found your previous posts Danielle. Love the granddaughter story! Janine

My wife and I are planning Porto to Santiago in June. i will be 73 and my wife 67. We have been walking the camino and the via francigena since 2008 and this will be our 6th walk. 3 caminos an 2 legs of via francigena.

One concession this time will be mainly hotels as the novelty of sleeping in dorms had well and truly worn off

The next walk will be our shortest and I think the easiest. We are not fitness fanatics but walk regularly to keep fit. One must not dwell on how old we are or we would probably just fade away

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked Leon to Santiago in September 2018 at age 65 on a whim and with 3 weeks notice. Loved it and in April 2019 I walked with my husband (69) from SJpDP to Santiago. We are totally hooked and plan to do Lausanne to Rome in 2020 but maybe another one before that. Cant stop walking :)

€149,-
Adding my tuppence. Interesting to see that others can walk as the years pass. In 2013 three of us walked our first Camino - the Levante, de La Plata and Sureste from Avila to Santiago. Oldest was mid 80's. After several aborted starts, (medical - sojourns in hospital etc) the 2 of us in our early 80's hope to walk the Primitivo over 18 days. Air ticket booked from Australia, bookings made for our rest days. This is perhaps the most over-planned Camino in history as it has been in planning since 2015. Planning spreadsheet is at Rev 17! Currently lots of training to persuade my reluctant frame that it can sustain the distance. Here's hoping. Ultrea!

Adding my tuppence. Interesting to see that others can walk as the years pass. In 2013 three of us walked our first Camino - the Levante, de La Plata and Sureste from Avila to Santiago. Oldest was mid 80's. After several aborted starts, (medical - sojourns in hospital etc) the 2 of us in our early 80's hope to walk the Primitivo over 18 days. Air ticket booked from Australia, bookings made for our rest days. This is perhaps the most over-planned Camino in history as it has been in planning since 2015. Planning spreadsheet is at Rev 17! Currently lots of training to persuade my reluctant frame that it can sustain the distance. Here's hoping. Ultrea!

Hello Bobc. Greetings from Melbourne. I walked the Primitivo last year. I am 80 next birthday and completed the walk in 19 days. However, there were two rest days included in the 19 day.
I found that providing I kept within my limitations and take regular rest breaks I have no problems. For instance, I took the Pola Allande option rather than attempting the Hospitales route.
In the last four years I have walked the CF from SJPP, The Portuguese from Lisbon and the Primitivo. In September I plan to walk the Sanabres.
All power to us oldies...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Include me and one of my walking friends , the other is a youngster at 65. We successfully completed the Portuguese camino in May. We stayed in some albergues, some hotels and a very nice Air bnb apartment for two nights at the end in Santiago.
Message me if you'd like more details of our route and accommodation stops.

Include me and one of my walking friends , the other is a youngster at 65. We successfully completed the Portuguese camino in May. We stayed in some albergues, some hotels and a very nice Air bnb apartment for two nights at the end in Santiago.
Message me if you'd like more details of our route and accommodation stops.
I will be 73 in September and will be walking on a section of Camino Frances. My sixth trip.

On our first Camino, we met an 81 and 82 year old italians
They could walk faster than us
On the via Francigena we met a 90 year old
There's still a lot of time left for you Chris
I like to use an old quotation in replying to all these messages namely

"A man is not old when his hair turns grey,
A man is not old when his teeth decay ,
But man mst prepare for the great long sleep ,
When his mind makes appointments that his body cant keep."

Keep walking guys

Paddy

€46,-
JimmC,
More power to you! I've also organised a couple of rest days to ease things. We will turn off to FRIOL and the Norte, then walk from Biomorto direct to Lavacolla to avoid the Frances much as possible despite the roadwork entailed. There is always the odd bus or taxi in case of total body crumble. When is your next Camino?

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.