• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are you 70+ and still walking Caminos?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
JimmC,
More power to you! I've also organised a couple of rest days to ease things. We will turn off to FRIOL and the Norte, then walk from Biomorto direct to Lavacolla to avoid the Frances much as possible despite the roadwork entailed. There is always the odd bus or taxi in case of total body crumble. When is your next Camino?

My next camino will be the Sanabres this September.

Hello Bobc. Greetings from Melbourne. I walked the Primitivo last year. I am 80 next birthday and completed the walk in 19 days. However, there were two rest days included in the 19 day.
I found that providing I kept within my limitations and take regular rest breaks I have no problems. For instance, I took the Pola Allande option rather than attempting the Hospitales route.
In the last four years I have walked the CF from SJPP, The Portuguese from Lisbon and the Primitivo. In September I plan to walk the Sanabres.
All power to us oldies...
I'm almost 70 and planning Canterbury to Rome in September. I'd like to think I can keep walking for at least another ten years.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It realy all depends on your health,and walking sensible distances. I'm planning my "last" camino next April - the new Baix Maestrat - and I will be 81. Mind you, I've said each of my last four caminos were going to be my "last" one :)
God is good......
Buen caminos, amigos!

It realy all depends on your health,and walking sensible distances. I'm planning my "last" camino next April - the new Baix Maestrat - and I will be 81. Mind you, I've said each of my last four caminos were going to be my "last" one :)
God is good......
Buen caminos, amigos!
Stephen, I hope you enjoy going on your "last" camino...but it may not actually be your final one!

Stephen, I hope you enjoy going on your "last" camino...but it may not actually be your final one!
Thanks, Chrissy! What you say is so true! But with arthritis in my spine and feet, it's got to end one day :)! However, I lived in Spain for 8 years, and was simply amazed to see the camino signs when I visited friends earlier this year.
I don't have a choice - I've GOT to walk it!!!
Blessings from grey East Anglia, UK......

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am now mid 60's in age and started walking caminos in 2015 as soon as I retired (having seen "The Way" the year prior to that). I've planned a 5-6 week walk each year since then, but wonder in the back of my mind how many more times I will be able to go. After all, each new year at this age going forward becomes a "what if" regarding ailments related to health. I'm still doing good so far, but I fear the day when a potential chronic and debilitating condition would prevent me from doing the long distance walks I love.

I am encouraged when ocassionally various forum members mention their most recent Camino walked and then happen to add in their post, "I was 73 when I walked my camino last year." I love hearing that as it gives me hope that there is possibly the potential to have quite a few more long distance walks in my future...I sure hope so.

I would appreciate hearing from some of you 70+ seniors who are making plans for your "next walk".

Hi there! Relax! I was only 65 when I started back in 2004! The only thing that stops me is wealth! Health ( the other demon!) I usually manage to compromise on and just put up with the consequences :) My Guardian Angel has asked for a job change, again! Its the walking bit you have to sort out i.e. be kind to yourself. camino is not a punishment! Catch a bus or taxi when you need to. I most certainly will! At 81 I will only gibber and slobber if anyone makes stupid comments! What fun we wrinklies have, eh?

Walk soft , stay safe and

as ever,

Vaya con Dios.

The malingerer

Have to show off, again! For my 70 birthday nine years ago I walked my first camino. Started from my home on the north coast of Brittany, round along the coast and all way down the Atlantic coast to Irun, the Norte to Santiago via Ribadeo and finished at the lighthouse of Cabo de Finisterra. After a pause, thinking I was done with Santiago, I walked the Primitivo at 73, and caught the bug apparently. Walk alone mostly, sometimes with family and I think they are bitten too by now. So much happiness!

Buen camino, everybody!

I am now mid 60's in age and started walking caminos in 2015 as soon as I retired (having seen "The Way" the year prior to that). I've planned a 5-6 week walk each year since then, but wonder in the back of my mind how many more times I will be able to go. After all, each new year at this age going forward becomes a "what if" regarding ailments related to health. I'm still doing good so far, but I fear the day when a potential chronic and debilitating condition would prevent me from doing the long distance walks I love.

I am encouraged when ocassionally various forum members mention their most recent Camino walked and then happen to add in their post, "I was 73 when I walked my camino last year." I love hearing that as it gives me hope that there is possibly the potential to have quite a few more long distance walks in my future...I sure hope so.

I would appreciate hearing from some of you 70+ seniors who are making plans for your "next walk".
I walked the Camino Frances in 2015 when I was 73, the Portuguese Camino in 2017 when I was 75, the British Coast to Coast Walk (Wainwright's) in 2018 when I was 76, and I'm planning to walk the Camino Ingles followed by the Camino Finisterre in October. I am now 77. I'm training especially hard for this one, because I know that muscle mass is lost as one gets older. It's still a gamble though, because the "potential chronic and debilitating condition" that one fears is always possible, so I just try to take each day (and long distance walk) as a gift.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I turned 70 on the Camino last year. I was back on it this year and turned 71 on it. I am going back this September. I can't get enough of it. Fear and regret are both wastes of time. Think of all the things you have feared in your life. How many of them have actually happened?

When I walked my first Camino Frances in 1992 I Met a 72-year-old lady walking with her father. She said he was doing just fine but insisted on short days. I’m still limping along in my mid-70s. This spring I hope to walk the Camino Baztan backwards to Bayonne then walk to St. John and repeat the Camino Francis.
But I find that I insist on route where I don’t have to carry food and cooking gear and can find a roof if the night is wet. I think I enjoyed the experience of walks even more from an old man’s perspective. A good optimistic attitude can only take you so far though. Reminds me of a story I heard in an old movie about the man that backed off the roof have a very tall apartment building. All the way down people reported hearing him say “ well, so far so good. “
"The optimist fell
I found on my first Camino that walking in trekking sandals (without socks) was so much preferable to trekking shoes that I no longer carry shoes. I am on to my fourth or fifth pair of Source Gobi sandals. If I do find a hot spot I wrap a layer or two of Micropore tape around my foot. I've never had a blister. The sandals are amphibious so I don't worry about rain or streams.
Source Gobi sandals? I am on the hunt for a pair or two for my 4th Caminoo (doing a loop) September 2020 (St James willing!). Tevas I found in Ponferrada great but company apparently has changed the footbed since 2019. I shall research on Web but would love your feedback. My first Camino
Last year at age 75 I started alone in SJPP and finished in Santiago 33 days later. Carried my pack and trekked every frigging inch (EFI). A wonderful experience, even better than my other two Caminos. Being alone, I was able to easily meet others from around the globe.

It’s my plan to do it again in 2022, when I’m 80, if I can wait that long. The pull is getting stronger all the time.
"EFI" - Nice one! Need to create a backpack patch with that logo. "Camino Addict - (arrow) EFI". 75 years now but the addiction began with a Camino Francais in 2002 ('waaay before this Forum and WifFi!) and progressed to 2012 and 2019. Officiallya sandal fanatic as even trail runners make my feet feel "choked". So, Source Gobi? I shall research it; I am in North Carolina.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Source Gobi sandals? I am on the hunt for a pair or two for my 4th Caminoo
It looks like Source has co branded their sandals with Naot. Their "Harbor" sandal looks identical to the Gobi. Available from Zappos on sale for $87.99

Here they are directly from Source

And they are also available on Amazon

An excellent thread to bring back and participate in again while we wait for the "current difficulty" to be resolved.

I walked my first camino in 2009 at age 70 and have walked almost every year since...sometimes twice. :cool:
I just cancelled one scheduled in August of this year for obvious reasons.

I usually end up walking with younger people (duh) and do not really think of age and am a bit taken back when others are surprised by my age.
I always carry my pack and have walked EFI (see post #59 above ;)).

For those who are concerned about their age.....it is not the years. It is the level of fitness and the willingness to work as hard as you can to train to get into a reasonable shape to survive the first week. After that...you will, no doubt, be in the best condition of your life.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I don't think I've been on here in over four years but just happened to see this forum! I was curious about how you all were faring with COVID-19.
Sunday was my 89th birthday and I joined this forum just before I walked with my daughter in 2013 at the age of 82. I wasn't a walker when I started but did train for about year before starting out at SJPDP in September and finishing in Santiago about six weeks later. It was the most productive thing I've done in my lifetime. My wife joined me in Sarria for the last stretch,
I know I'm not the oldest by far (I did meet an 83 year-old doctor from Toronto) but I've always been curious how many my age or older carried their packs the entire way. Would I do it again, I don't think so but there's always that urge to walk part of it just for old-time's sake.
Go for it. You'll never regret it.

An excellent thread to bring back and participate in again while we wait for the "current difficulty" to be resolved.

I walked my first camino in 2009 at age 70 and have walked almost every year since...sometimes twice. :cool:
I just cancelled one scheduled in August of this year for obvious reasons.

I usually end up walking with younger people (duh) and do not really think of age and am a bit taken back when others are surprised by my age.
I always carry my pack and have walked EFI (see post #59 above ;)).

For those who are concerned about their age.....it is not the years. It is the level of fitness and the willingness to work as hard as you can to train to get into a reasonable shape to survive the first week. After that...you will, no doubt, be in the best condition of your life.
I remember your posts from way back!

@indyinmaine, what an uplifting reply and I'm so happy to hear your story! I hope I will be walking caminos at age 82, God willing, and would consider myself blessed...even if I am unable carry my own pack!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@indyinmaine It is great to hear from some who have not posted for a little while.

On my first few Caminos there really was not an option to have your pack transported. I think I have walked about 12 Camino’s since the first one in 2009 and have always carried my own kit.
Those with physical limitations did have a couple of options but the rest of the folks had no real option except to carry their pack. I cannot recall ever hearing of a pack referred to as “luggage”😎. I think of wheeled carryons when I hear luggage.

Times and what is thought of as “normal” have changed a great deal in the past 5 years.

No intention to brag, just for the statistics: I'm born Jan. 1944 and walked my first of four long CF plus one CN in 2013, each in 31 - 33 days. No big deal. Had to skip last year because of two simultaneous surgeries (one cancer, one quintuple bypass) but am now ready and trained for my 6th, waiting that this corona thing is over...missing the peregrinas 😅
Meanwhile walking my 60 to 80 km per week locally.
Buen camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
"Source Gobi sandals? I am on the hunt for a pair or two"

Source Gobi are the only trekking sandals I remember owning. I was so satisfied with the first pair that I have been wary of trying anything else. The first pair were bought from an outdoor store here in Galway some ten years ago. After that they were never in stock when I needed them so bought them online from a Belfast outdoor store and from the manufacturer. One pair should do you. The pair I wore from Seville to Santiago in 2014 were well worn before I started out and they survived. I did leave them in a bin in Santiago.

I see someone has already supplied the Source link.

Buen Camino, Liam

I don't think I've been on here in over four years but just happened to see this forum! I was curious about how you all were faring with COVID-19.
Sunday was my 89th birthday and I joined this forum just before I walked with my daughter in 2013 at the age of 82. I wasn't a walker when I started but did train for about year before starting out at SJPDP in September and finishing in Santiago about six weeks later. It was the most productive thing I've done in my lifetime. My wife joined me in Sarria for the last stretch,
I know I'm not the oldest by far (I did meet an 83 year-old doctor from Toronto) but I've always been curious how many my age or older carried their packs the entire way. Would I do it again, I don't think so but there's always that urge to walk part of it just for old-time's sake.
Indyinmaine, you are truly an inspiration. Thank you for being such.

An inspiration, as John said! Why not walk part of it for old time’s sake. Go for it, as you said yourself, you’ll never regret it!!!

Buen camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello IndyinMaine. My name is Tom, and I'm a Camino addict :) I first walked the Camino in 2013, and have been back every year since. I turned 80 on the Norte this past September. I reside in Maine, do you?

€149,-
Source Gobi are the only trekking sandals I remember owning. I was so satisfied with the first pair that I have been wary of trying anything else. The first pair were bought from an outdoor store here in Galway some ten years ago. After that they were never in stock when I needed them so bought them online from a Belfast outdoor store and from the manufacturer. One pair should do you. The pair I wore from Seville to Santiago in 2014 were well worn before I started out and they survived. I did leave them in a bin in Santiago.

Buen Camino, Liam
Thank you very much for Source Gobi. As I am more and more drawn to wear sandals, I have a good feeling about this footwear choice discovered a surprising number on enthusiastic online reviews; a pair from Amazon/Zappo's to arrive here early April (!!). I am praying Gibson Park in High Point NC remains open to responsible, social distancing walkers as this 75 year old delights in the benefits in vitality, posture and well being about a good hike!

"...What then? shall we sit idly down and say the night has come; it is no longer day? The night hath not yet come;
...For age is opportunity no less than youth itself, though in another dress, and as the evening twilight fades away the sky is filled with stars, invisible by day.
"
Morituri Salutamus,
1875, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

From 2004 at 65 through 2015 at 75 I walked the Camino Frances eleven times often alone in autumn and winter.

Fulfilling a dream held since university days, at 65 I first set out. I, too, wanted to experience what so many had done across time and to see what had been built along the way while pondering the myths and ghosts of history. As most pilgrims do I discovered this endeavor to be hardly a walk in the park, but a unique mix of contemporary mundane chance and historic legend. When exhausted for courage I would remember one of the timeless adages associated with the Camino, "if a pilgrim makes it to the city of Burgos, he can make it to Santiago!"

Kindnesses of strangers along the way offering smiles, water, conversation, help and hospitality were a constant support. After walking two months when I first arrived at Santiago de Compostela in 2004 seeing at last the great cathedral, touching the hallowed stones, and weeping with joy as the great bells tolled were special thrills. Overwhelmed with emotion I silently gave thanks for all that had passed. Later when sorting memories and souvenirs, I slowly began to realize that my mind and heart had been deeply changed by this journey. Thus, I decided to try to return.

And so I have, eleven times.
Each Camino has begun with both anticipation and trepidation. As always I wondered how it all will go. My reasons include non-traditional spiritual ones giving thanks for each day lived and for my life with Bill which enabled such a journey. Walking alone day after day I pondered varied aspects of the thousand-year history of this beloved route as well as recalled several quotations which help define my personal creed. "But as for me, I will walk in mine integrity...I will walk in liberty for I seek thy precepts. " Psalm 26:11 and 119:45.
" No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. " Buddha

For those who asked why another Camino?
One answer was " le cœur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît pas/ the heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing. " Pascal,
Les Pensées

Unfortunately mid-route 2015 after a fall when it was no longer possible to easily stand or walk my camino ceased; the sad, inevitable moment had come for me to stop. I reached the end of my trail....

Now as age (79) and time take their further toll hopefully my precious memories will endure as long as I. Physically I may not be walking, but sentimentally I will always "wear" my pilgrim shell.

Sincerely grateful for all the happiness that I have found and shared along the way during these past years I wish only the best for the future of this beloved route. Might all who walk find fulfillment.
"like" does not do justice beautiful post. thank you

It looks like Source has co branded their sandals with Naot. Their "Harbor" sandal looks identical to the Gobi. Available from Zappos on sale for $87.99

Here they are directly from Source

And they are also available on Amazon

In times of pandemic, a modest delight: the arrival of my NAOT sandals. Sunny weather predicted for later this week and that's me, off to Gibson Park, an opportunity for a trial walk over rocks, roots, mud, clay and modest inclines. My goodness, they do look quite the biz and rugged! Thank you so much for the purchasing information! Be well and safe!

€83,-

Buen Camino, Liam
Liam, I replied on I think on this link my NAOT sandals arrived 31 March and with sunshine flooding the Piedmont of North Carolina's Gibson Park (an "allowed" trail), I am strapping them off and putting them through their paces. Determined as by heck to get September (??) 4th Camino pack weigh down to 11 lbs and these sandals an important component of this weight reduction plan. Mind how you go!

As Churchill said after Dunkirk "we shall go on to the end!"

Carpe Diem!
I just stumbled across this acronym "EFI' It reminds me of a t shirt I had in my Appalachian Trail days which said: "I've walked the entire WIDTH" of the Appalachin Trail". I will be 78 in September and look forward to getting back on the Camino Frances next Spring.

I celebrated my 70th birthday on my first time along the Camino, have been going back each year since then (except for Covid) and intend to keep going until I drop... Don't let your life be full of disasters that never happened. I am planning on going in September... Remember, it doesn't matter where your life ends as long as you have had a good time living it.Go for it. Buen Camino.

I celebrated my 70th birthday on my first time along the Camino, have been going back each year since then (except for Covid) and intend to keep going until I drop... Don't let your life be full of disasters that never happened. I am planning on going in September... Remember, it doesn't matter where your life ends as long as you have had a good time living it.Go for it. Buen Camino.
I had to check to see if I had written this! I celebrated my 70th birthday on the day I walked from SJPDP to Orisson the first time and hope to go back in September. Until then I am walking a Virtual Camino. I love what you said about “Don’t let your life be full of disasters that never happened.” Thank you!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Carpe Diem!
Churchill would have to give up cigars (good luck with that), champagne at every opportunity, his team of secretaries (unless they would be carrying his backpack) and commit to a strict diet and exercise before he set on toe upon the Camno de Santiago. And even then, I imagine he would only be lured onward from town to town with promises of many glasses of Rioja.

I just stumbled across this acronym "EFI' It reminds me of a t shirt I had in my Appalachian Trail days which said: "I've walked the entire WIDTH" of the Appalachin Trail". I will be 78 in September and look forward to getting back on the Camino Frances next Spring.
76 and for my fourth Camino, ths time Porto - Santiago in Spring 2022, when I shall be 77! Teach these young whippersnappers that a mature and seasoned body and mind are nothing to be afraid of, white hair is a silver flame of experience and the fading sun spots on the left side of my face are from my 2002 Camino and serve to remind me the joy and reward of my Camino determinatin.

Liam, I replied on I think on this link my NAOT sandals arrived 31 March and with sunshine flooding the Piedmont of North Carolina's Gibson Park (an "allowed" trail), I am strapping them off and putting them through their paces. Determined as by heck to get September (??) 4th Camino pack weigh down to 11 lbs and these sandals an important component of this weight reduction plan. Mind how you go!
See reply later in post, that Camino plans delayed until Spring 2022, Delta resurgence allowing.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hmmm, okay, I just checked my face for sun spots. No spots, but the damn face is still 78 years old! Must have more sun. Must. And as my old friend 'The Whale' famously proclaimed on the island of Mykonos: "It's okay to be fat as long as you are tan."

How do you like your Naot sandals now that you've had a chance to "test drive" them?

€46,-
Pretty good! I vary wearing them with two Teva options too enticingly on sale on Zappos to pass up. Humidity is a big factor during mid-Missouri thunderstormy summers, and my feet swell. All sandals are uncomfortable at this point, so I am opting alternate trail walks with a pair of Hokas and a pair of Merrells. Glad I have the NAOT option, noting the fit is different -- toes closer to front edge than Tevas -- which took a couple of walks to accustom myself. I would say a solid B+. I would buy again but a Chaco model no longer available for purchase was my game changing "A". Miss 'em still! Porto-Santiago in 2022 -- I hope!

I do not fear much in life, or death, as I have strong faith. However, the one thing that does give me the shivers is that one day, I will not be able to walk a Camino, or even ride a bicycle on Camino.

Early in June I turned 68, and have done six Caminos since 2013. I take care of my health as best I can. But I know that, at some point, I will be one illness, fall, or accident away from - being done with my Camino dream. THAT is the day I dread.

My Plan B is working as a volunteer for the ACC at Santiago. I have done so, COVID excepted, since 2014. I plan to continue doing so, indefinitely, as long as they will have me.

This year, instead of going for my customary four-week assignment, spanning the end of July into mid-August, a relatively serious illness intervened in March, and I had to limit my availability to two-weeks (wife's orders). Recuperation compelled me to push the time slot back into September or October.

I am presently waiting for word from the office as to whether they have a slot for me - or not. But, I am fully ready to reserve a plane to travel there to work in September or October. Several friends who offered to volunteer in August or September have heard about their assignments this past week. I remain hopeful.

Hopefully, 2022 will see me back on Camino - either on foot or by bicycle.

Ultreia!

Tom

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Carpe Diem!

I walked my first camino in 2009 at the age of 70 and I have walked at least once, almost every year since. :cool:
I am still walking at about the same level as I did then and hope to continue for the future barring an injury.

Covid, of course, prevented a planned 2020 camino and I did not plan one this year as it was a bit sketchy early on. We have a planned trip to Israel and the Baltic countries for September which will prevent a camino this year. Looking forward to next year.

As the legendary pilgrim @mspath quoted above....it is not over until it is over!

I walked my first camino in 2009 at the age of 70 and I have walked every year since. :cool:
I am still walking at about the same level as I did then and hope to continue for the future barring an injury.

Covid, of course, prevented a planned 2020 camino and I did not plan one this year as it was a bit sketchy early on. We have a planned trip to Israel and the Baltic countries for September which will prevent a camino this year. Looking forward to next year.

As the legendary pilgrim @mspath quoted above....it is not over until it is over!
While you wait for 2022, enjoy your more relaxing trip this year to see other beautiful areas of this amazing world we live in. Possibly a thread can be started for the 80+ veterans who have much to share, and like yourself are still enjoying good health. I have so appreciated @mspath who keeps the Camino alive in her heart; sharing stories and pearls of wisdom with us...she is a forum treasure.

The thread has drifted far off the original topic of 70 year plus pilgrims still walking.
Whoops! Off topic of 70 plus walking Caminos. Right. Circling back ... On three Spring CF Caminos spanning early to mid 2000's I spied with my Camino eye, in the category of "looks to be senior." more women than men. I saw more senior women in groups and in larger groups than I saw senior men in groups and those men were in smaller groups than women. And as I have never taken a Statistics course in my llife, I shall leave it there!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Whoops! Off topic of 70 plus walking Caminos. Right. Circling back ... On three Spring CF Caminos spanning early to mid 2000's I spied with my Camino eye, in the category of "looks to be senior." more women than men. I saw more senior women in groups and in larger groups than I saw senior men in groups and those men were in smaller groups than women. And as I have never taken a Statistics course in my llife, I shall leave it there!
The senior men were probably on the VDLP , San Salvador or Sanabrese. I met many there.

The senior men were probably on the VDLP , San Salvador or Sanabrese. I met many there.
I sense you are 100% correct, as few women with whom I have engaged in "Which Camino?" conversations have mentioned VDLP or longer; several "long Camino" memoirs have all had solo male authors.

I know in my 76 year old gut this gal would love to walk VDLP ... in a small, mixed group so there's a wise and wary eye out of each other on a less-populated and provisioned route, uncompromisingly more challenging than the CF.

I walked the VdlP solo in 2017 and met relatively few other pilgrims along the route. I do not recall there being a predominant number of male pilgrims. I was 69 at the time and I walked every inch of it. There is no reason why anyone else who wishes to and is familiar with pilgrim walks (the VdlP was my third) could not do so. This year, at age 73, I am planning to walk the Levante solo.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I turn 70 in October and will back for my 6th Camino this September. Having enjoyed the VDLP just two years ago by bike, my wife and I are cycling the Portuguese Coastal Route first and then walking from SdC to Muxia to Finisterre afterwards. My only recommendation to anyone, young or old(er) is to maintain a high level of physical activity not only for one’s Camino preparation, but as a way to help maintain a better quality of life in general.

This will be my first walk at the age of 78. Been on my " I need to do that agenda" for 20 years and I am now committed to doing it,..my way.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This will be my first walk at the age of 78. Been on my " I need to do that agenda" for 20 years and I am now committed to doing it,..my way.
Welcome to the forum, @Lenne! You have picked a strange time in history to be planning your first Camino, but better late than never. I hope it will be a fantastic experience for you as it has been for so many of us who regularly participate on this forum.🙂

I am actually far too young (67) to participate here, but I have walked many caminos since 55, and am now planning my walk for this autumn.

I will go on each year from now, until the grim reaper decides to collect me into his flock. Hopefully, in many years from now. I see no problems with that; just shortening daily distances a bit as my bones grow older.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When I was 18 years old in 1973, I hitchhiked all around (Franco's) Spain for several months. I had a couple of consensual romantic interludes with young Spanish men (in Sevilla, Valencia and in La Coruna), but also was often hassled, followed, experienced unwanted touching, etc. from a number of Spanish men everywhere I went. (Spanish women were the most beautiful I'd ever seen... I had no idea why I caused such a commotion.)

I'll be 67 this year. I've walked Caminos the last three years and I've taken note of those elderly men with their black berets and a walking cane, sitting on benches in the villages and cities. It occurs to me that those same guys were probably the ones who catcalled me, tried to pinch me or force themselves onto me way back then.

Anyhoo, those of you who are still walking in your 70s and 80s..... I want to be like you when I grow up!

As a whippersnapper of 57 on my first CF in 2002, what I noticed about the Black Beret Card Throwing Sunshine Sitting Peregrina Up and Down Noting Gentlemen of Spain were ...their limps. Those canes were not just for looking smart and/or debonair, those men ...limped! They struggled getting up and they winced sitting down. Making a living in rural Spain is hard!

My observation was primarily noted in hamlets, one-cafe/one-store towns ... the ones where the walls still had bullets holes. A leap of wild surmise seems to indicate these were made during the 1930's.

And these chaps had the mangiest dogs, their collars tied by rope to a table or a wall, neatly preventing them from having an American peregrina for dinner.

€149,-
Most of the older people I saw with canes were in the smaller hilltop villages and needed the canes for stability to navigate the ups and downs they dealt with everyday going to get groceries.

When you started the thread, I was too young to participate. ;) Now, because of covid I can’t answer the question, because I have not been able to walk since I turned 70.:(
Maybe 2022 will be "the" year for you to walk, Laurie, and you will have some new things to share after you return. I think you are actually more like age 60 going on 71. 🙂

€149,-
After completing the Triple Crown in the US, I walked my first camino in 2014 at age of 74. Walked Portugese and Primitivo in 2016. Did the Mozarabe/VdPl/Sanabres in 2018. At now 81, I plan to do the Camino Olvidado/Invierno as well as the Dos Faros (or Madrid) this year, 2021. I am a little slower and don't do high mileage/kilometer days but am looking forward to 2023 for...

After completing the Triple Crown in the US, I walked my first camino in 2014 at age of 74. Walked Portugese and Primitivo in 2016. Did the Mozarabe/VdPl/Sanabres in 2018. At now 81, I plan to do the Camino Olvidado/Invierno as well as the Dos Faros (or Madrid) this year, 2021. I am a little slower and don't do high mileage/kilometer days but am looking forward to 2023 for...
The Triple Crown is an amazing accomplishment at any age and they take approximately 6 months each to complete...way to go! 🏆🏆🏆
Wishing you good health for your next Camino, and enjoy the planning in the meantime!

Did Portuguese in 2017 from Lisbon and included Finnestere. Did Norte in 2018 and added Muxia and Finestere. Turned 70 on walk to Muxia at Hospital Alb. After meeting friends in Porto, walked inland Portuguese to Valenca, train back to Caminho and crosses river and walked coastal section around thru Vigo and stopped at Pontevedra. Plan to return after Covid 19 sometime to walk from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago. And if time permits finish the section from Pontrevedra to Santiago via the Variante Espiritual.
Best I can hope for is 2023 and plan to turn 75 on Oct 1 somewhere on a Camino.
Doing a warm up next year on the Larapinta trail in Central Australia..

I will be 70 next April and if I do not walk the Invierno next May/June I will be walking the Porto to following May with my (by then ) 72 year old brother. So from my view point age is not really a barrier on the Camino. Just plan ahead, a little, do a moderate amount of physical prep and pack light!!;)
And yoga--don't forget to stretch and keep loose!

In 2019 (age 71). I walked the Portugues from Tui with my better half. I waved her goodbye at the airport in Santiago and headed for Ponferrada and walked the Frances to Santiago and then took the train and walked back on the Ingles. I didn't rush it. It didn't feel much different from age 69. If you can walk, keep going, sooner or later you will have to stop, hopefully later. I am very fortunate to have been long distance walking for over 50 years.
2022 will hopefully see me back on the Camino(74 years). It will be 58 years then since my first visit to Santiago. By ship and bus that time.

In 2019 (age 71). I walked the Portugues from Tui with my better half. I waved her goodbye at the airport in Santiago and headed for Ponferrada and walked the Frances to Santiago and then took the train and walked back on the Ingles. I didn't rush it. It didn't feel much different from age 69. If you can walk, keep going, sooner or later you will have to stop, hopefully later. I am very fortunate to have been long distance walking for over 50 years.
2022 will hopefully see me back on the Camino(74 years). It will be 58 years then since my first visit to Santiago. By ship and bus that time.
Chenahusky,
You are so right saying "if you can walk, keep going". Now at 82 more than ever it is so necessary for me to keep on keeping on.
Ultreia.

Chenahusky,
You are so right saying "if you can walk, keep going". Now at 82 more than ever it is so necessary for me to keep on keeping on.
Ultreia.
Margaret, you have been an inspiration to us all. When new to the forum four years ago, I read and devoured your website/blog accounts and stories of your many winter Caminos. Since then, I am still appreciating the many lovely, gentle and often helpful posts you bring to the forum most days. Although you are wise to know your limits and no longer walk Caminos, your precious memories keep you walking in spirit.

I'm 79 and walked from St. Jean to Santiago last September (actually 8/29-10/2) with my 22-year-old granddaughter. She did her Camino; I did mine. Most of the time, they were the same but when they weren't, we knew the Camino would bring us together again—and it did. I met wonderful people in her age group, and she met some good folks in mine. Almost all the miles were covered on foot, but when I felt like my feet (and energy) could use a day off, I simply took a bus for a town or few. The key is to be loose and flexible, be in tune with how you're feeling physically and psychologically, and listen to what you're being told. The Camino's gifts are everywhere—including the most unexpected places. You can't plan on finding them in this particular town or that one, or discount any specific stretch as having nothing or little to offer. Be open—to all the miles and all the people you'll meet on them. -Marty

€83,-
I did my first (Frances) in 2019 just shy of my 70th.
I have a plane ticket with my name on it for Lisbon in Sept. Heck, I had such a good time on the last occasion, I have been forced to bring a chaperone this time, our youngest son.
Not that she doesn't trust me but she's even organised to get me to take her out for lunch in Vigo when she gets off a cruise ship.
I think I got the best gig.

No reason not to do the Camino when you are 70+. I did my first Camino, the Norte, at 72 and the San Salvador and Primitivo in 2021 at 76! I am planning my next Camino for the fall of 2022. Go for it. Life is short.
Five years ago, I celebrated my 75th on CF. This June, I plan to celebrate my 80th, on my 5th Camino. Last Summer, near Santiago, I met an 86-year-old Frenchman who started his 1st Camino in Le Puy, 2 1/2 months earlier. He had averaged about 13 miles(21 km) a day. My new hero!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Go for it! I walked the first time when I turned 70 and have returned in my 71st year, in my 72nd and 73rd (Fall of 2021). I look forward to going back this spring, Covid allowing... if I have to eventually slow down, I will just walk shorter distances. Buen Camino.

Go for it! I walked the first time when I turned 70 and have returned in my 71st year, in my 72nd and 73rd (Fall of 2021). I look forward to going back this spring, Covid allowing... if I have to eventually slow down, I will just walk shorter distances. Buen Camino.
Exactly! Buen Camino

Now that I can't walk long distances any more (aged 77), I've enjoyed exploring public transport options along the Camino routes. Trains and buses in Spain and Portugal are really efficient and seniors get a good discount.

Walked my first camino at 73. Now 78 and planning 6th and 7th this year: Inglese (possibly starting from Ruta do Mar) this month, then Primitivo in August.
I really would like to know how th Ruta do Mar works out for you. I’m planning to do the Primitivo in March but if weather doesn’t cooperate I’ll do the Mar to Ingles. I think I’ll be happy either way. I’m 75 now and flexible as to doing any route I can finish 15-17 days which leaves me time to do Finisterre to Muxia as it is always my finishing walk. Thanks and Buen Camino.

Walked my first camino at 73. Now 78 and planning 6th and 7th this year: Inglese (possibly starting from Ruta do Mar) this month, then Primitivo in August.
Keyes, I was wondering if indeed you walked the Ruta do Mar from Ribadeo to Ferrol and joined the Camino Inglés? I am following that same route in April/May and was hoping to tap into your insight and experiences for suggestions you might have? I would appreciate it: very much-)

Keyes, I was wondering if indeed you walked the Ruta do Mar from Ribadeo to Ferrol and joined the Camino Inglés? I am following that same route in April/May and was hoping to tap into your insight and experiences for suggestions you might have? I would appreciate it: very much-)
If you hear anything please pass it on to me. I’m thinking of doing the Ruta do Mar myself or if possible the Primitivo in March around the 8th. Thanks.

If you hear anything please pass it on to me. I’m thinking of doing the Ruta do Mar myself or if possible the Primitivo in March around the 8th. Thanks.
I'll be glad to do that if Keyes gets back to me!

Walked my first Camino in 2013 - celebrating my 69th birthday and retirement. Since then, seven more plus two in the UK.
Don't let age or pandemics get in the way - but plan and walk wisely.
Buen Camino to all!! See you in October, 2022!

Last edited:
An old thread but I'll add something about my Caminos and age. I have walked numerous times over 11 years, my last time was from Le Puy in 2019 when I was 73. Unfortunately, I am hanging up my boots due to health issues at the age of 75/76..
I especially remember a pilgrim I met from Argentina, Maria, who was into her third year on the Camino. She had started in Germany her first year, came back the next year and started in France where she had left off the year before and the year I met her on her third Camino she was headed to SdC. I saw her at mass in the Cathedral the night we both arrived. She was well into her 80's.

Hi...I just joined this group and have gained some useful information already.
I walked the Camino Frances in 2018 when I was 71. I'm planning to walk the LePuy in early September as this was my starting point before.

Hi...I just joined this group and have gained some useful information already.
I walked the Camino Frances in 2018 when I was 71. I'm planning to walk the LePuy in early September as this was my starting point before.
Hi @Gaiter22!
Let me be the first one to welcome you to this forum. You will glean lots of helpful information here and it sounds like you have already benefited some.
Thanks for taking the time to add your post to the many Over 70's who are an inspiration to those of us "trail"ing not far behind.
The Le Puy route is a great choice. I walked it in June of 2018 and absolutely loved it!

Last edited:
An old thread but I'll add something about my Caminos and age. I have walked numerous times over 11 years, my last time was from Le Puy in 2019 when I was 73. Unfortunately, I am hanging up my boots due to health issues at the age of 75/76..
I especially remember a pilgrim I met from Argentina, Maria, who was into her third year on the Camino. She had started in Germany her first year, came back the next year and started in France where she had left off the year before and the year I met her on her third Camino she was headed to SdC. I saw her at mass in the Cathedral the night we both arrived. She was well into her 80's.
Hey Don, I am sorry to hear about your health issues, I hope you can beat the hell out of whatever is going on. I am 67 and the end of my Camino days are on the horizon, hoping to get in another one this year, one year at a time. I'm not sure how I will feel when the time comes to hang up the boots. All the best to you.

@biarritzdon , Take care, and I DO hope you'll continue posting on the forum! ...from one RPCV to another!
Where and when did you volunteer? I was in Cote d'Ivoire during 2002 and relocated to Togo after the civil unrest closed down the PC. I extended my service for 3 years in the north of Togo and managed the transit house in Kara my final year.

Hi Mannoll! Sorry I've been slow in replying. After studying Dave Whitson's excellent guidebook "The Camino Ingles and the Ruta do Mar", I was concerned about distances and availability of accomodations on the do Mar under pandemic conditions. The same concerns led me to walk the Inverno instead of the Primitivo. I still intend to do both someday. I spent a couple of days in A Coruna before traveling to Ferrol to begin the Ingles. I spent a few days in Santiago after the Ingles, then caught a bus to Ponferrada to begin the Inverno. Both caminos were wonderful walks. I might never have discovered the Inverno had it not been for a friend in Santiago recommending it rather than the Primitivo.

Hi Mannoll! Sorry I've been slow in replying. After studying Dave Whitson's excellent guidebook "The Camino Ingles and the Ruta do Mar", I was concerned about distances and availability of accomodations on the do Mar under pandemic conditions. The same concerns led me to walk the Inverno instead of the Primitivo. I still intend to do both someday. I spent a couple of days in A Coruna before traveling to Ferrol to begin the Ingles. I spent a few days in Santiago after the Ingles, then caught a bus to Ponferrada to begin the Inverno. Both caminos were wonderful walks. I might never have discovered the Inverno had it not been for a friend in Santiago recommending it rather than the Primitivo.
Hi Keyes, thank you for answering my inquiry. I've gone ahead with my planning and have made accommodation reservations all along the Ruta do Mar because of your same concern as far as albergues not being open/available during this time. I certainly don't want to find myself in a situation where I might not have any options for staying overnight and have to continue walking hoping to find a place. Before heading out on the Inglés I'll be spending 3 days in Ferrol and will go to A Coruña for a day visit. I'll have to plan doing Camino de Invierno sometime, it sounds wonderful.

Ultreïa!

Mary

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Manoll! The Ruta do Mar has been on my wish list for some time. Would you mind sharing your plans for the Ruta do Mar ie distances and accommodation? It will not be this year, but maybe next, se Deus quiser. The Invierno is also on my list. AND parts of the Olvidado. And and and.... With only two weeks available every time and Covid not helping either I am running out of time, but have to keep planning....(started walking too late - first camino at 70)

Buen camino to you all!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.