A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

LIVE from the Camino Are You A Camino Junkie?

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2), Chemin du Puy, Portuguese, Via de la Plata
JUST FOR FUN. A TEST TO DETERMINE IF YOU ARE A CAMINO JUNKIE: Answer 7 yes and you are a Junkie. Answer 10 with yes and you are a complete obsessed junkie.
D28B3CFF-B1A3-460A-B33B-5DC23632F0B7.jpeg
I am a Camino Junkie and I write this for the many Camino Addicts I've met and have yet to meet. If you answer yes to 7/10 you are a Junkie:

1. You start planning your next Camino before the current one is done.
2. You look for yellow arrows whenever and wherever you walk.
3. You have read or watched 10+ books or movies on The Camino and never get bored with it.
4. You find yourself dreaming about the Camino each and every day you are away from her.
5. You wake up at home looking for your backpack.
6. You connect to 3+ Camino social web sites.
7. You feel a strong urge to reach out and stay connected with your Camino buddies.
8. You find yourself drinking more vino tinto and looking for good Tortilla Patata Recipes.
9. You consider the unthinkable; getting a tattoo for the first time and it is Camino related.
10. The movie “The Way” with Martin Sheen has become your favorite film. Perhaps you even watch it every Saturday night religiously.

Bradypus

Antediluvian
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
I'll gladly confess to points 1 to 8. Never fancied tattoos and since discovering the joys of the onsen in Japan - many of which are out-of-bounds to those with tattoos - I will not be doing that. And while that movie is entertaining enough it is not anywhere near as good as the Judy Garland original.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
Whew! I "thankfully" must not be a camino addict/junkie after all! I only checked off 4 of the 10...but then again, maybe I'm either in denial or just plain delusional! I should probably ask hubby his opinion as I'm now planning my 5th since 2015....nah, I don't think I want to ask him after all. ;)

Last edited:

rector

ONE HALF
Camino(s) past & future
SJ-Sdc MAY (2011)
SJ-Sdc MAY (2014)
Sar-Sdc Oct (2015)
Pon-Sdc Ju (2016)
SJ-Log (2018)
yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep , yep, yep, yep, yep, yep yep, yep, la,la,la,la,la,la,la,------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Camino(s) past & future
Francés - 2014
Francés - 2015
Francés - 2016
Francés - 2017
Francés - 2018
Francés/Primitive (2019)
I am a "Caminoaddict" in good standing I hope. I pretty much answer yes to every question but #6. Instead I am content to spend an hour or two with this Forum. (Signing on 2-3 times a day) Thank you Ivar for providing this amazing source especially for for all of us who are "Caminoholics" dealing with the positive addiction day in and day out. o_O

My only regret is that I wasn't younger when I first became aware of the Camino.

Buen Camino

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015); Ch. d'Arles: Oloron Ste Marie to Aragones; Frances (2016); V.d.l.P.; Sanabres (2017)
I used to be addicted to the camino, or thought I was. But I am not going on camino this year for financial reasons. And I could go if I made it a priority (over getting my teeth fixed). So I guess I have discovered that I like eating more than I like walking caminos. But I plan on going next year.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
... mind you, my favourite, the Wizard of Oz is kind of a Camino film??
From
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture...iew-with-Martin-Sheen-and-Emilio-Estevez.html

Sheen had originally suggested that they make a low-budget documentary about the Camino. 'I said to him that that wasn’t really interesting to me,’ Estevez says. 'I thought we could make it a bigger experience. So I said, let’s scale this thing up.’

Back home in California, Estevez began writing a script, exploring the universal themes of loss, community and faith, and started to see parallels with another great film odyssey. He cribbed some characterisation from a neighbour, a Dutch friend who was 'wonderful but out of his mind. That’s our Cowardly Lion. Because essentially this is a retelling of The Wizard of Oz – Martin is Dorothy, trying to get “home”. The Canadian woman he meets has a broken heart, so she’s the Tin Man. And we meet Jimmy’s character in the hayfield, without a brain, because he’s got writer’s block. Which is something I knew about.’

St. James: The Wizard
Santiago: Oz
The camino: The yellow brick road
Daniel's ashes: Toto (always escaping Dorothy)

Last edited:

Paladina

Camino(s) past & future
Cycled caminos francés, Finisterre, primitivo & del norte (2017); VdlP/Sanabres, ingles et al (2018)
Enthusiast, yes; addict, no. I’ve no desire to watch the Martin Sheen movie, acquire a tattoo, connect to any Camino social media websites beside this one or drink any more vino tinto. I’m curious, though, as to why you self-confessed addicts can’t stay away from her. The Camino is grammatically masculine.

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
Enthusiast, yes; addict, no. I’ve no desire to watch the Martin Sheen movie, acquire a tattoo, connect to any Camino social media websites beside this one or drink any more vino tinto. I’m curious, though, as to why you self-confessed addicts can’t stay away from her. The Camino is grammatically masculine.
Referring to the Camino is not only as a constructed road it's also any way or path even through life (Camino de la Vida) so I guess "it" can be used too?

Although I only scored 5 out of 10, having done 17 Caminos over the last 9 years (including 9 different ones) and volunteering five times I am without a doubt a Camino junkie:)

p.s. Glad I walked the Camino before The Way came out (to me too Hollywood like) and I've never read a book about the Camino. I am guilty of being a member of too many Camino Facebook pages though. so much so that my newsfeed is 75% Camino related.

mickcope

Camino(s) past & future
Camino - Sarria
JUST FOR FUN. A TEST TO DETERMINE IF YOU ARE A CAMINO JUNKIE: Answer 7 yes and you are a Junkie. Answer 10 with yes and you are a complete obsessed junkie.
View attachment 46555
I am a Camino Junkie and I write this for the many Camino Addicts I've met and have yet to meet. If you answer yes to 7/10 you are a Junkie:

3. You have read or watched 10+ books or movies on The Camino and never get bored with it.
4. You find yourself dreaming about the Camino each and every day you are away from her.
7. You feel a strong urge to reach out and stay connected with your Camino buddies.
8. You find yourself drinking more vino tinto and looking for good Tortilla Patata Recipes.
9. You consider the unthinkable; getting a tattoo for the first time and it is Camino related.
10. The movie “The Way” with Martin Sheen has become your favorite film. Perhaps you even watch it every Saturday night religiously.

Tattoo - not yet

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis SJPP
April 2016, August 2017, May 2018
Camino PortuGUESE
May 2019
What an interesting idea....are there other forums?.I have my backpack packed now in September for next Mays' Camino Portuguese....am giving 2 Camino talks in the local library in November...(.to get others addicted.)..so that makes me a besotted enthusiast...I keep in touch with my Camino friends with coffee dates & email.....I have 9 certificates framed going down the hall.....I wonder will the bandaids still be viable for next May? No tattoos just a Camino bracelet....And yes I dream about the camino....

Camino(s) past & future
"June 2018"
I feel like ive been ruined for other walks by the camino, its all i think about since walking the camino frances in june and yes i have a tattoo to mark that journey (a butterfly with yellow arrows in each wing) reminds me of the day i went left instead of right and added 7km to my day haha. The butterfly by the way is a mark of respect to my wife, who adores butterflies and on the days i struggled pushed me on through phone calls and for some strange reason i always saw butterflies on those days. Next trip is planned for 2020 so yes im an addict lol

Monimar

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2016
VF:GSBP to Santhía, Piacenza to Fidenza 2017
Definitely a junkie. Yes to all except #9. Like Traveler2010, I feel ruined for other walks. Even while there, I think of the Camino.

I start the Primitivo next week. Can’t wait.

Theandrea

Camino(s) past & future
May 2015, March 2016, January 2017
I'll gladly confess to points 1 to 8. Never fancied tattoos and since discovering the joys of the onsen in Japan - many of which are out-of-bounds to those with tattoos - I will not be doing that. And while that movie is entertaining enough it is not anywhere near as good as the Judy Garland original.

Theandrea

Camino(s) past & future
May 2015, March 2016, January 2017
Hi
I have two Camino tattoos and one from my hometown. I had no problems the last 6 days to get in any onsen. You can by covering up foil in pharmacies. I loooove the onsense. Actually i just had one 30 minutes ago!

Raggy

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Mozarabe Almeria (2017)
Cherhill to Canterbury - Pilgrims' Way (2018)
Via Francigena (2019)
I'm 2/3 out of 10.
"The Way” isn't my favourite film. It isn't even my favourite Martin Sheen film.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2005,2008,2010,2015.camino Portuguese 2007 .primativo2012.camino Norte 2009.sjpdp to finisterre and muxia 2007. Le Puy to jpdp 2006. Via francigena vercelli to Lucca 2014. Lucca to Rome 2016.
View attachment 46555

View attachment 46555

View attachment 46555

Could only manage 3 out of 10

I prefer Gin to wine though
Does that count??

Even if we're not actually walking the Camino........AND we're on this blessed forum each day...or at least check it a few times ....we have to admit to ourselves that we are Camino junkies!!
No getting away from it ....just admit it folks
Best wishes
Annette

Camino(s) past & future
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(Apr/May 2018)
VdlP (2020)
I confess to all :eek:
except Number 9.

Never saw the appeal of tattoos sorry. (#9)
I'm not a Maori......
I'm not a sailor...
I'm not a gangster...
Though I realise they are fashionable once again as they used to be briefly in the late 1800s
I'm just old fashioned I guess :confused:

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
1. No 2. No (my caveat though, I live on the Camino near the French/Italian border, so that Camino yellow arrows actually exist here, and I'll count that as 1 point) 3. Yes 4. eh .. yes and no, so ½ point 5. No -- it's always within easy reach :p eh, so another point 6. No 7. Yes 8. No -- I was helping my mum make good tortilla de patatas loooong before any Caminos, and as for the tinto, it's called rouge in these parts ... :cool: but I guess + one more point 9. No 10. No

Total : 6½

eh, still under 7, and that's with bonus points I added myself ... :D

Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
1. No 2. No (my caveat though, I live on the Camino near the French/Italian border, so that Camino yellow arrows actually exist here, and I'll count that as 1 point) 3. Yes 4. eh .. yes and no, so ½ point 5. No -- it's always within easy reach :p eh, so another point 6. No 7. Yes 8. No -- I was helping my mum make good tortilla de patatas loooong before any Caminos, and as for the tinto, it's called rouge in these parts ... :cool: but I guess + one more point 9. No 10. No

Total : 6½

eh, still under 7, and that's with bonus points I added myself ... :D
Oh, you lucky man.

Living on camino.

What a treat.

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 117 14.8%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.3%