• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are You A Camino Junkie?

Kevin Considine

Time of past OR future Camino
JUST FOR FUN. A TEST TO DETERMINE IF YOU ARE A CAMINO JUNKIE: Answer 7 yes and you are a Junkie. Answer 10 with yes and you are a complete obsessed junkie.
D28B3CFF-B1A3-460A-B33B-5DC23632F0B7.jpeg
I am a Camino Junkie and I write this for the many Camino Addicts I've met and have yet to meet. If you answer yes to 7/10 you are a Junkie:

1. You start planning your next Camino before the current one is done.
2. You look for yellow arrows whenever and wherever you walk.
3. You have read or watched 10+ books or movies on The Camino and never get bored with it.
4. You find yourself dreaming about the Camino each and every day you are away from her.
5. You wake up at home looking for your backpack.
6. You connect to 3+ Camino social web sites.
7. You feel a strong urge to reach out and stay connected with your Camino buddies.
8. You find yourself drinking more vino tinto and looking for good Tortilla Patata Recipes.
9. You consider the unthinkable; getting a tattoo for the first time and it is Camino related.
10. The movie “The Way” with Martin Sheen has become your favorite film. Perhaps you even watch it every Saturday night religiously.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'll gladly confess to points 1 to 8. Never fancied tattoos and since discovering the joys of the onsen in Japan - many of which are out-of-bounds to those with tattoos - I will not be doing that. And while that movie is entertaining enough it is not anywhere near as good as the Judy Garland original.

Whew! I "thankfully" must not be a camino addict/junkie after all! I only checked off 4 of the 10...but then again, maybe I'm either in denial or just plain delusional! I should probably ask hubby his opinion as I'm now planning my 5th since 2015....nah, I don't think I want to ask him after all. ;)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep , yep, yep, yep, yep, yep yep, yep, la,la,la,la,la,la,la,------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a "Caminoaddict" in good standing I hope. I pretty much answer yes to every question but #6. Instead I am content to spend an hour or two with this Forum. (Signing on 2-3 times a day) Thank you Ivar for providing this amazing source especially for for all of us who are "Caminoholics" dealing with the positive addiction day in and day out. o_O

My only regret is that I wasn't younger when I first became aware of the Camino.

Buen Camino

Last edited:
I used to be addicted to the camino, or thought I was. But I am not going on camino this year for financial reasons. And I could go if I made it a priority (over getting my teeth fixed). So I guess I have discovered that I like eating more than I like walking caminos. But I plan on going next year.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
... mind you, my favourite, the Wizard of Oz is kind of a Camino film??
From
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture...iew-with-Martin-Sheen-and-Emilio-Estevez.html

Sheen had originally suggested that they make a low-budget documentary about the Camino. 'I said to him that that wasn’t really interesting to me,’ Estevez says. 'I thought we could make it a bigger experience. So I said, let’s scale this thing up.’

Back home in California, Estevez began writing a script, exploring the universal themes of loss, community and faith, and started to see parallels with another great film odyssey. He cribbed some characterisation from a neighbour, a Dutch friend who was 'wonderful but out of his mind. That’s our Cowardly Lion. Because essentially this is a retelling of The Wizard of Oz – Martin is Dorothy, trying to get “home”. The Canadian woman he meets has a broken heart, so she’s the Tin Man. And we meet Jimmy’s character in the hayfield, without a brain, because he’s got writer’s block. Which is something I knew about.’

St. James: The Wizard
Santiago: Oz
The camino: The yellow brick road
Daniel's ashes: Toto (always escaping Dorothy)

Last edited:
Enthusiast, yes; addict, no. I’ve no desire to watch the Martin Sheen movie, acquire a tattoo, connect to any Camino social media websites beside this one or drink any more vino tinto. I’m curious, though, as to why you self-confessed addicts can’t stay away from her. The Camino is grammatically masculine.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Enthusiast, yes; addict, no. I’ve no desire to watch the Martin Sheen movie, acquire a tattoo, connect to any Camino social media websites beside this one or drink any more vino tinto. I’m curious, though, as to why you self-confessed addicts can’t stay away from her. The Camino is grammatically masculine.
Referring to the Camino is not only as a constructed road it's also any way or path even through life (Camino de la Vida) so I guess "it" can be used too?

Although I only scored 5 out of 10, having done 17 Caminos over the last 9 years (including 9 different ones) and volunteering five times I am without a doubt a Camino junkie:)

p.s. Glad I walked the Camino before The Way came out (to me too Hollywood like) and I've never read a book about the Camino. I am guilty of being a member of too many Camino Facebook pages though. so much so that my newsfeed is 75% Camino related.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
JUST FOR FUN. A TEST TO DETERMINE IF YOU ARE A CAMINO JUNKIE: Answer 7 yes and you are a Junkie. Answer 10 with yes and you are a complete obsessed junkie.
View attachment 46555
I am a Camino Junkie and I write this for the many Camino Addicts I've met and have yet to meet. If you answer yes to 7/10 you are a Junkie:

3. You have read or watched 10+ books or movies on The Camino and never get bored with it.
4. You find yourself dreaming about the Camino each and every day you are away from her.
7. You feel a strong urge to reach out and stay connected with your Camino buddies.
8. You find yourself drinking more vino tinto and looking for good Tortilla Patata Recipes.
9. You consider the unthinkable; getting a tattoo for the first time and it is Camino related.
10. The movie “The Way” with Martin Sheen has become your favorite film. Perhaps you even watch it every Saturday night religiously.

Tattoo - not yet

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What an interesting idea....are there other forums?.I have my backpack packed now in September for next Mays' Camino Portuguese....am giving 2 Camino talks in the local library in November...(.to get others addicted.)..so that makes me a besotted enthusiast...I keep in touch with my Camino friends with coffee dates & email.....I have 9 certificates framed going down the hall.....I wonder will the bandaids still be viable for next May? No tattoos just a Camino bracelet....And yes I dream about the camino....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I feel like ive been ruined for other walks by the camino, its all i think about since walking the camino frances in june and yes i have a tattoo to mark that journey (a butterfly with yellow arrows in each wing) reminds me of the day i went left instead of right and added 7km to my day haha. The butterfly by the way is a mark of respect to my wife, who adores butterflies and on the days i struggled pushed me on through phone calls and for some strange reason i always saw butterflies on those days. Next trip is planned for 2020 so yes im an addict lol

Definitely a junkie. Yes to all except #9. Like Traveler2010, I feel ruined for other walks. Even while there, I think of the Camino.

I start the Primitivo next week. Can’t wait.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'll gladly confess to points 1 to 8. Never fancied tattoos and since discovering the joys of the onsen in Japan - many of which are out-of-bounds to those with tattoos - I will not be doing that. And while that movie is entertaining enough it is not anywhere near as good as the Judy Garland original.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi
I have two Camino tattoos and one from my hometown. I had no problems the last 6 days to get in any onsen. You can by covering up foil in pharmacies. I loooove the onsense. Actually i just had one 30 minutes ago!

View attachment 46555

Could only manage 3 out of 10

I prefer Gin to wine though
Does that count??

Even if we're not actually walking the Camino........AND we're on this blessed forum each day...or at least check it a few times ....we have to admit to ourselves that we are Camino junkies!!
No getting away from it ....just admit it folks
Best wishes
Annette

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I confess to all :eek:
except Number 9.

Never saw the appeal of tattoos sorry. (#9)
I'm not a Maori......
I'm not a sailor...
I'm not a gangster...
Though I realise they are fashionable once again as they used to be briefly in the late 1800s
I'm just old fashioned I guess :confused:

1. No 2. No (my caveat though, I live on the Camino near the French/Italian border, so that Camino yellow arrows actually exist here, and I'll count that as 1 point) 3. Yes 4. eh .. yes and no, so ½ point 5. No -- it's always within easy reach :p eh, so another point 6. No 7. Yes 8. No -- I was helping my mum make good tortilla de patatas loooong before any Caminos, and as for the tinto, it's called rouge in these parts ... :cool: but I guess + one more point 9. No 10. No

Total : 6½

eh, still under 7, and that's with bonus points I added myself ... :D

1. No 2. No (my caveat though, I live on the Camino near the French/Italian border, so that Camino yellow arrows actually exist here, and I'll count that as 1 point) 3. Yes 4. eh .. yes and no, so ½ point 5. No -- it's always within easy reach :p eh, so another point 6. No 7. Yes 8. No -- I was helping my mum make good tortilla de patatas loooong before any Caminos, and as for the tinto, it's called rouge in these parts ... :cool: but I guess + one more point 9. No 10. No

Total : 6½

eh, still under 7, and that's with bonus points I added myself ... :D

Oh, you lucky man.

Living on camino.

What a treat.

Oh, you lucky man.

Living on camino.

What a treat.

My basic training hike is on the local Camino (well, the historic route of the Camino that is, not the GR with its arrows), and I usually end it at the church where the local chapter of the Pilgrims Association has its monthly meetings.

7/10
It would have been 8 but I can't claim the way as my favourite film.. mind you, my favourite, the Wizard of Oz is kind of a Camino film??
7.5/10 perhaps.
It is a bit of a Camino film. We all get there by magical or mystical means one way or another—often through natural or personal disasters. The journey seems interminable and through difficulties we perceive as larger than life. Often we find that the scariest parts turn out to be just paper tigers. People that we’d never hang with normally become close companions and actually you help each other during difficult times. You might even find yourself dancing and singing along the way. Very quickly it’s over and you’re on your way back home. You arrive and want to tell everyone what it was like and they give you a patronizing pat and they say it’s nice you’re back. You realize that while you’ve had this transformative experience, the good folks back home will never fully comprehend it. You had this exotic and faraway adventure but you know now that what you may have been seeking through such a journey has always been buried deep within yourself. And somehow people back home strangely take the place now of folks you knew on the Camino. There’s no place like home, it’s true, but somehow… it just doesn’t feel like the end of the story…

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, surprise surprise I'm not a camino junkie. That's good to know! I'm not so sure about the dromomania though. Does anyone have a questionaire?

My score 1/10

A fairly old thread, but a fun one. I am definitely a camino addict, but I score only 1 out of 10 🤔 . Maybe the questions need to change . . . .

1. You start thinking about your next Camino before the current one is done.

2. When you see a yellow arrow after you get home it reminds you of the camino.

3. You have read or watched several books or movies on The Camino.

4. You find yourself dreaming about the Camino each and every day.

5. You wake up at home wondering when you will next wake up on the camino.

6. You have stayed on this forum since your last camino.

7. You stay connected with some of your Camino buddies that you met along the way.

8. You find yourself reminiscing about vino tinto and Tortilla Patata.

10. You watched the movie “The Way” with Martin Sheen, either before, or since your camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My only regret is that I wasn't younger when I first became aware of the Camino.
I forgot to say; while I sadly discovered the Camino only in my 50s, I am always happy when I see young people walking: It brings hope that they learn more about our world, reflect, are able to make informed decisions about the rest of their lives, what matters in this short time we live on this Planet, and are able to change course into a better and more valuable future than just being a part of the standard rat race of ordinary life.

Unfortunately it is too late for many of us oldtimers, but we can always improve, at least.

Remember, we all walk in the footsteps of Frans of Assisi and his likes...

He came from an elite family in Assisi, but renounced everything/all of his riches, and chose poverty and the service of mankind instead. 800 years later we all remember him and his name, the current pope has taken his name in his honour, and we do not remember any of his rich neighbours...

Last edited:
7/10 for me and yes I am a Camino addict. My first was to celebrate my 60th birthday .It was memorable with 12 of my Camino family at the Parador in Rabanal. Thinking back I couldn't have started younger as my life panned out in such a way that 2007 was exactly when I needed to be there.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
View attachment 46555

I can stop any time i want !

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It is a10/10 all over ...
Heard about the Way in 7th grade in ´68
walking just before my 60th year...

last ocurrences have been:
waking up in my own bed and thinking I was on the Camino due to my wife rocking the bed
- and
looking exclusively for Ribeiro del Duero wines from ´14 on the internet- what a lovely hobby....
and a high WAF - wife loves them !!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back