• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are you thinking to walk the Camino (the way of the Saint James) again?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Buen Camino, Pilgrims~
I walked from Saint Jean to Compostela for 32 days in July, Aug of 2016. I am thinking to walk again some day.
What about you? Do you miss the roads?

Definitly!
I will walk the CF some day with my wife, so God will.
I miss the people (pilgrims and locals), the contemplation, the landscape, the sunrises, the food, the wine (I was able to find a source for wine from the Bierzo), the talks and the walks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In our Sydney Pilgrim group there are more than a few who have walked the Frances many times. Some have walked just about all recognised caminos, but come back to the Frances (even if they just walk a certain sector).
So no it is not strange to be planning a second go at the Frances. Maybe have a go at walking some of Brierley's alternate sectors - to get away from the crowds. Cheers

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Like all the others the Camino is with me every day. I go to sleep most night reliving my time on the Camino. I am heading back for the 4th time in June and have a count-down calendar on my office wall. It is not that I am wishing my life away it is more that it motivates me to keep training. I tend to make a plan for my Camino and it usually only last a day or so. Once on it, the Camino finds it's own rhythm and pace.

Last edited:
The question for me is "is there ever a moment when you aren't thinking about doing another Camino?"

Couldn't agree more.

I met my wife on the camino in 2016 and have since moved to Australia from the UK so it's a massive event in both of our lives. There isn't a day that goes by that we don't think about it.
I'm going back to walk it again in March with a friend who I also met on the camino. I think the trick is to not expect to relive your first experience (difficult in my case) and embrace it as if it is your first time.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Couldn't agree more.

I met my wife on the camino in 2016 and have since moved to Australia from the UK so it's a massive event in both of our lives. There isn't a day that goes by that we don't think about it.
I'm going back to walk it again in March with a friend who I also met on the camino. I think the trick is to not expect to relive your first experience (difficult in my case) and embrace it as if it is your first time.
Absolutely, but my second time was even better than my first and my 3rd was just amazing. But I am slightly worried about trying to relive it on my 4th in June. Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Walked with my wife from SJPP to Compostela in 2014, and Oporto to Compostela in 2016. Now we are itching to go back and do the French again. And, of course, as pretty much everyone of us, we think about the Camino every day !

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am going to walk my 11th and 12th Camino this year, already have plane tickets. Do I think about the Camino every day, yes. I suppose I could unsubscribe to Ivar's daily emails and then maybe I won't think about it as often but why do that😱.
I often wonder why I am so drawn to the Camino, it may be because I feel like a kid again on it with no responsibility. Or maybe it's just because it's so fun. But unlike many other addictions, it's healthy an emotionally helpful. I guess I won't stop going on the Camino one to two times a year until the money I spend takes away from family activities. Oh my family is all grown up so I don't know what will stop me. It's certainly won't be age. I will celebrate my 75th birthday on the Camino this year. And since walking the Camino everyone says I look younger and I certainly feel younger.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’m planning my 3rd Camino in 2 years. I thought for sure in the midst of an incredible rainstorm in October in Santiago that I had finished this aspect but evidently not! I walk because I must. The Camino isn’t something that I do for fun or adventure, although those aspects are present to be sure. The Camino calls me to intentionally be more present to my own daily Camino. The Camino brings to me—forces on me—the issues, the pain, the grief, the failures and losses, the serendipitous successes and gains, and the positive resources and the beauty of my life. The unfinished business yet in my life. My life is a camino and I’m still trying to figure out how to walk it. Walking the Camino is similar to how some people prayerfully walk the labyrinth. Each Camino unfolds in its own unpredictable way. In October last year who would’ve predicted that I would walk almost each step with two separate women from Brazil—and each would show me lessons not otherwise learnable. And that, at the end my unbacked up phone would mysteriously disappear taking with it all photos as well as their contact information. Who can say what this next Camino will bring?

Last edited:
Buen Camino, Pilgrims~
I walked from Saint Jean to Compostela for 32 days in July, Aug of 2016. I am thinking to walk again some day.

The camino becomes a part of your life. Once you've experienced the liberation it brings, it's always present in an uplifting way. Spain's a long way and expensive for me to get to, and I've got work commitments limiting my time, but after several years away I simply want the experience again. So, I'm now in Madrid, on my way to Burgos to walk the meseta, already feeling free but connected in a good way.

What about you? Do you miss the roads
The 'roads', no but the off-roads especially uneven trails leading to the unknown familiar canopy of eucalyptus trees and sound of nature all around with the possibility of meeting the next pilgrim ahead and continued adventure on the people path of positive intention or camino love 🤠

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Buen Camino, Pilgrims~

Absolutely! I miss the experience and am planning my next Camino for 2021, probably the el Norte. Buen Camino for your next Camino.

oh yes! I think of it every day now. funny but the first few months back, my thoughts done that, move on! don't need to go back. Then 6 months later it was the most strongest pull in my life, now I think of it everyday and cant wait to do it again. Seems it gets under your skin once you have walked it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Buen Camino, Pilgrims~

This summer will be my third time in 3 years. It is becoming a habit. I love it. However, each year I do a different Camino.

Absolutely! I miss it, but next time I will do it with more time to enjoy the people and the towns, and not so much race against the clock and calendar! Buen Camino!

Buen Camino, Pilgrims~

I walket the Camino frances four years ago and this coming Saturday 29 of February I arrive in Sjpdp again to walk the Camino frances beginning the following day.
Bjarne

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Buen Camino, Pilgrims~

I walked the last 116 km with my son, then 16 yrs old, the last week on June 2016. I have been planning my next walk ever since, but with 4 son entering college and a husband that doesn't understand why I want to do this it has taken me 4 years. I am finally walking from SJPP to Burgos on July 14 to 28, 2020. This time solo. Not the entire Camino but what this 54 yrs old, stay at home, not athletic mom can do at this time. 🙏💟🙏😁

Buen Camino, Pilgrims~

I walked SJPP to Santiago in Sept/Oct 2019. This September 2020, I will be back on the Frances and will walk 1/2 - Sahagun to Santiago. (In May, 2020, I'll be on CP from Porto to Santiago). My husband thinks I would enjoy doing SJPP to Santiago again in 2021. We shall see.

I just finished my CF - and I know I will do it again. I get back home and start to work and I know the life will get too busy again and I need another brake - another time to be with myself again. Walking the Camino is so much more than any other kind of holiday could ever be. So I will come back to walk - and definitely winter time!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Buen Camino, Pilgrims~

I will be walking again but not the Frances. I think it's too boring

and a husband that doesn't understand why I want to do this it has taken me 4 years.
That's quite me in opposite directions.
My wife didn't understand why I walk. Maybe it will take forever to convince her to be part of the camino.

Have fun walking the part of the camino.

Absolutely! It took me five years (due to limited annual leave) to walk from SJPDP to Santiago. I celebrated a significant birthday this January by getting my Compostela on the day, having walked from Sarria. I’m back in SJPDP in May to walk the entire CF, plus Finistere, and I’m like a child waiting for Santa! It’s the first thing I think of every morning and cannot wait to cross that beautiful bridge in SJPDP and begin my adventure.

¡Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes! I didn't expect to want to return but like many other I got the Camino bug! I really didn't want it to end last year. I'm walking the Notre in April/May this year but will be back for the Francais in 2022 - 2021 seems like it would be too busy for my liking.

Buen Camino, Pilgrims~

I knew before I was halfway through the Camino last year that I wanted to return (this time by myself) and. Now I have all my reservations made for next August.

The Camino has been a constant calling to me since the Frances in 2016.
I literally start planning the next one while I am still on another

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Buen Camino, Pilgrims~

Not a day goes by that I think of the Camino, the bird noises and the interactions with other pilgrims. Will be back on the Camino late May.

Buen Camino, Pilgrims~

Every single day.

Attachments

• P1030146.JPG
    P1030146.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 6

€60,-
Buen Camino, Pilgrims~

I love these roads. They're indescribable. I started on the Frances in 2013. I've walked 16 different times since on a whole myriad of different routes. My life has become manifold richer as a result. I think about the Camino everyday and thank God it exists.

One thing I would like to say is, i'am amazed at the diversity of people walking all the Caminos. Young, middle aged, seniors, single males and females, married couples, and sometimes just one member of a married couple. I've watched all these groups of people on different you tube vlogs and wow, it's great to see all these people get off the couch put on the hiking shoes and go for it. Can't wait for September to slip on my hiking shoes and go for it. Hats off to all of you who walk either a 100km or 1000km. One thing I did notice in the Vlogs is that pilgrims seem to like their wine and beer. Ha ha. Buen Camino.

Always thinking/dreaming of what may never be.

The following post was originally written 21/03 at the beginning of confinement here in France; months have passed since then but my sincerity remains ever true.

My husband Bill and I at 80 and 81 after a year of extreme serious illnesses battened down. After closing our Marne-side b&b/pilgrim house, stocking medicine and food for the next months we continue to go forward together with courage and strength of will towards the inevitable.

All life is chance; things are or are not. I try not to worry about what I can't control but hope for the best while attempting to make things better.
Memories of successful past camino efforts help me keep going.

Ever since I found this Forum in 2009 each morning I have read/replied to the posted entries of the past day as the Forum became a part of my normal routine. One pleasure across the past decade has been the discovery of digital friends in unmet fellow walkers/readers with whom so much could be shared. Such are you for me.

Stay safe and well dear companions,
We who can not continue to walk as in the past can still continue on the pathways of our memory,

May we all have the mental and physical strength to persevere.

In the truest sense, Ultreia,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Always thinking/dreaming of what may never be.

The following post was originally written 21/03 at the beginning of confinement here in France; months have passed since then but my sincerity remains ever true.

My husband Bill and I at 80 and 81 after a year of extreme serious illnesses battened down. After closing our Marne-side b&b/pilgrim house, stocking medicine and food for the next months we continue to go forward together with courage and strength of will towards the inevitable.

All life is chance; things are or are not. I try not to worry about what I can't control but hope for the best while attempting to make things better.
Memories of successful past camino efforts help me keep going.

Ever since I found this Forum in 2009 each morning I have read/replied to the posted entries of the past day as the Forum became a part of my normal routine. One pleasure across the past decade has been the discovery of digital friends in unmet fellow walkers/readers with whom so much could be shared. Such are you for me.

Stay safe and well dear companions,
We who can not continue to walk as in the past can still continue on the pathways of our memory,

May we all have the mental and physical strength to persevere.

In the truest sense, Ultreia,

Margaret Meredith
Margaret - you and your husband are an inspiration to me and I’m sure many others. Stay safe and wishing you many happy days.

Absolutely! A series of 4 CF and 1 CN behind me at 74y, I lost 2019 to cancer- and quintuple bypass surgery and 2020 to COVID and am eager to do my 6th as a tribute to life and appreciation of making it to 77. (My docs unanimously agreed that my survival was due to the strength gained in those yearly walks)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Absolutely! A series of 4 CF and 1 CN behind me at 74y, I lost 2019 to cancer- and quintuple bypass surgery and 2020 to COVID and am eager to do my 6th as a tribute to life and appreciation of making it to 77. (My docs unanimously agreed that my survival was due to the strength gained in those yearly walks)
Well done Pepi! Wonderful reason for another Camino!

Started my current one in January 2019, had to stop last year from the awful heat wave, then not restart first from injury, then from Covid19.

Getting back onto it hopefully by December at latest.

After finishing this one, however long that takes (been 77 hiking days so far), then I'll probably make Lourdes-SJPP-Santiago my "regular" route. I'll not do another from home, except for I guess one or two more home to Rome, which is roughly the same length in Km as SJPP-Santiago, but much easier hiking-wise.

Buen Camino, Pilgrims~

I did 4 caminos in the past, Norte, Primitivo, Via de la Plata and Portuguese. 4 wonderful camino's that I will remember all my life.

Before coming back to the Camino de Compostela I would like to walk the Japanese and the Italian camino.

From my reading there is amazing things to see over there and because of the terrain especially in Japan I will need to become fit again due to the mountains and also try to learn a minimal amount of Japanese.

I realized that now I am to confortable when I walk in Spain and that I need a new challenge!

Since August, 2017 when I arrived in SdC from SJPP, I have sworn every day that I wouldn't do it again. Ever.

And....now the Norte is looking very possible for Summer 2021. Hendaye to SdC

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back