• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are you walking in this wintry weather?

Paladina

old woman of the roads
Time of past OR future Camino
CF, primitivo & del norte (2017); VdlP/Sanabres, ingles etc (2018), Mozarabe etc (2019), tbc (2020)
Who is walking in this unseasonably harsh weather, and how are you coping with the conditions? I wish all intrepid walkers a safe pilgrimage and a warm welcome at your journey’s end.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Who is walking in this unseasonably harsh weather, and how are you coping with the conditions? I wish all intrepid walkers a safe pilgrimage and a warm welcome at your journey’s end.
Hi @Paladina
I am also thinking they must be intrepid snow walkers!
A few of us starting the CdM March 23 and thinking we may not walk over the high point due to snow.
But then ., it’s like a box of chocolates .
You never know what you’ll get until you’re there.
Annie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My partner and I start the CF March 14. We are a little nervous!

My partner and I start the CF March 14. We are a little nervous!
Don't worry, be happy and light. The weather forecast in Navarra is improving and all over Europe the Spring is coming next week :cool:
See the weather forecast here: www.eltiempo.es

We are right now on Mozarabe past Cordoba. Walked yesterday in terrible storm and rain 21 kmtrs. Today even worse, no possibility to walk 38 kmtrs. Taking a bus to be safe. Already 5 people died in Emma storm under falling trees.
Thank’s for remembering us.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Got the "Winter Camino" I had hoped for....referenced on another thread. The night before last whilst in Ruitelan the snow arrived on cue. Ascent to O Cebreiro was snow all the way and awesome and everything I'd hoped for when planning back in November. Glad I packed the Yak Trax, as mentioned by others on the forum, even if they don't come out of the backpack it is good to know you have them if needed - and when you need them, you do really do need them!
Arrived today in Sarria - just cold rain now, no snow or ice. Onwards......

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    863.8 KB · Views: 52
No I'm actually enjoying a sunny 32 degree day by the pool in Florida, while my friends are skiing on the roads of Biarritz.

Yup! Me too! (Used in the appropriate context) I live on the "other coast" of Florida, the Atlantic Ocean side. Don is on the Gulf of Mexico. The weather here is delightful. But, then again, that is one of the reasons many people choose to live in this tropical paradise.

Fear not! I shall join the others on the Camino in mid-April. There will still be enough wintry weather left over when I get there. Usually, I just plan my layered clothing system well, assume my lower legs will get soaking wet, and then just do it anyway...;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I’m on the Norte now. Arrived in Irun Monday afternoon cold -5. Tuesday woke up to snow and walked to Hondarribias sleeping 500m below the santuario de Guadalupe at the casa Rural Postigu. Walked alone the ridge route to Pasajes wind gusts about 20-30kph south origin . Camino sent me 3 human Angels just when I was wondering where to go. After passing the forest following the ridge I met a Czech girl walking the south route much windier. We made it to San Sebastián at 4pm very tired, but it was sunny and dry 18C on the coastal variant. I faced my fear of summiting thebrudge route alone and am
happy. The Camino provided.

I left Pamplona yesterday morning and it was - 6 C and about 10 cm of snow on the ground. I stayed in the Jesus y Maria albergue without 20 others who were not expecting such cold weather. Train to Sevilla was quite late! IMG_20180228_073436.jpgIMG_20180228_080212.jpg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes, we woke to the silence of snow in Población de Campos a few days ago. It was wonderful! And not as cold as it had been the day before which was minus 10 degrees celsius.
We also had snow from Valcarlos all the way to Zubiri.
Yes, some days are very cold, however we have had 7 to 10 lovely pilgrims to share the way :)

I am rather enjoying walking to my job here in Denmark, as I always do, but in snowy conditions these last weeks.
It does make me think if i would do this in Spain.
Buena suerta a todos de los caminantes !

20180223_091557.jpg

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
“I am in Pamplona now - I have had beautiful walking weather and no snow each day fromSJPDP.” I am about to start a section of the Camino Frances (March 10, 2018) and am wondering about the weather conditions starting in Pamplona and heading West. Also, is there as much offered for food and lodging along the way as one would find in May? Thank you!

1520522942289.png

As earlier stated, I walk to and from my job, not a long way, but in every kind of weather. Todays weather is on a zero centigrade position, that´s neither frost or thaw, and I am thinking how and what narratives walking produces.
These trees I see every time, but I have never noticed them like I do today when they are dressed in white and this makes them visible in height. They are windbreakers and are now getting way too tall and will be cut down before long. That is the story line it makes in my head... When walking in foreign parts, I likewise read the landscapes like stories; why were these trees planted or they part of free nature.
A line of trees on the CF has been planted for the future shadow of the hot pilgrim, in another place old trees will grow into old age and you wonder will they be here next time...

Foncebadòn and Cruz de Ferro yesterday. It was an amazing walk ♡

Attachments

• 20180308_132422.jpg
    20180308_132422.jpg
    960 KB · Views: 5
  • 20180308_120839.jpg
    20180308_120839.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 5
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
No I am walking at home and the weather in northern Alberta is much colder than any conditions ever found anywhere on any route on the Camino. -35 C is not uncommon at times.
I still get out most days for a training walk though. Our winters are 6 to 7 months a year, so cold and snow really are not a big deal to me.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back