• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arles Route "Backwards"

• Thread starter Former member 19626
  • Start date
F

Former member 19626

I have walked on the Camino Frances from SJPP to SDC twice and I've got this notion to walk from Puente la Reine on the Aragonés and the GR653 backward toward Arles over the Somport Pass. My first step was buy the Miam Miam Dodo guide. My second step is to ask here if the trail and the markings would be easy enough to follow backward. Thanks. I would appreciate some advice....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@WineShoppe Guy it is always easier to walk backwards in France because the GR trails are marked in both directions. So I think you would be fine from where the GR starts. If you are following the Camino markers (don't recall what happens between the border and Punta La Reina) it will probably be difficult.

Through Toulouse, I found the markings obscure even in a forward direction. Remember that all GR markings are red and white, so intersections without additional markings are tough to negotiate. In many places roads on either side of the route make it obvious even when there is not marking present. Topographic maps will be a useful aid, but you need several for the length of the Arles route. Bon chemin.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Met a 70 year old Basque guy at the Mecle gite just before St Gervais who had walked from Pau last year. The previous year he had walked from San Sebastian to Lourdes and then Pau. Its doable , I would look for good maps 1:100000 at least from the French border. Entering Toulouse would be a problem but after the centre you are on the Canal du Midi, Montpellier would be a problem as well, people I met got lost coming in and leaving.
There is a few times I would switch off and would have to retrace my steps and see the opposite way markings to make sure, I wasn't off course, so they are there and well marked. The 25 km before Arles you can take the alternative route which follows the bank of the Rhone.

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning Pilgrims! In June I will leave Italy to try to get to Santiago. Around August I will be walking the part of the camino in France, and as I read through the various threads, I had a...
I've just finished walking Toulouse to Jaca on my pilgrimage from Rome to Santiago which I'm in doing gradually 3 weeks at a time. I spent a lot of time reading the posts about this section and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back