• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Arles route ... Down the col du somport.

lynmclean

Time of past OR future Camino
Route France (2007) Le Puy (this year)
I would like to find out what the track is like up and over the col du somport. Especially the downward leg.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Walked from Somport last May and there was snow on the mountains. Most folk walked the road but we started down the path through a snow bank pretty scarey but exciting. Don't know if they have repaired the avalanche area but we managed across as pilgrims had worn a path across it. Just have to be very careful that first km or two and then no probs. we really enjoyed the Aragones.

Agree with Camino07. We walked the Arles route last April / May and mostly walked the road up the pass due to the bad snow conditions. From Somport we walked the road to Canfranc Estaçion and then it was no problem at all. If there's no snow you'll really enjoy it ......and if there is snow, you'll enjoy it as well. Bon Chemin. Dayton and Karen

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you for your answers. I have dodgy knees and hate downhill shale and rocks etc. Is the path down the Col du Somport actually smooth?

Lyn, We didn't see the path because of 3 feet of snow, but it's a nice pleasant walk down the road to Canfranc Estaçion. If you have any concerns take the road. The rest of the Aragon route will be fine. Nothing too technical. Dayton

If you have dodgy knees stick to the road. There was no snow when I took this route in 2012. I mainly took the road except for thr last bit where you turn off to thr left on tbe old route to the pass. Good luck. It is a great route

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning Pilgrims! In June I will leave Italy to try to get to Santiago. Around August I will be walking the part of the camino in France, and as I read through the various threads, I had a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back