A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Arles Route Topo/Guide Book?

Sixwheeler

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Arles Route (2013/2014 onwards)
Hello Everyone, I'm proposing to walk the Arles Route in chunks as I'm currently running in a new knee. As a mountaineer I own most of the gear I'll need but would like to take just one guide book that combines a route description with a map or route plan. I'm confident enough with my French not to make too many unplanned diversions! What do you suggest and why? Many thanks. Sixwheeler

Advertisment

Timor

Camino(s) past & future
Arles, Aragones and Camino Frances 2013
Hoping / Planning LePuy 2017
Dépends on your needs. Walked the Arles route in May and did it with two guides.

The Miam miam Dodo is the best to find albergues and accommodations and to know what services are availables in each locations. Its maps are ok if summary but distances are always under evaluated.

The "La voie du sud" by RandoEditions had a good mix of map, description of the Camino and cultural and historic info but was rather limited on practical accommodation info. Not as many options and more limited info.

Timor

Camino(s) past & future
2001 CF, 04-6 LP, 07 Port, 08-10 Arles, 11 Mozá,12-13 Gen-LP. 00-10 PCT, 15 Norte, 16 Primi
We did this route over three years. I suggest that you take the appropriate pages from both the Miam Miam Dodo and the FFRP Topo Guides. There is one from Arles to Toulouse and one from Toulouse. The maps in the FFRP guides are sometimes really helpful. If you read French well, the descriptive info adds interest.
You can order the FFRP guides directly from the association, and they get to the US in about a week:
http://www.ffrandonnee.fr/boutique/le-catalogue-des-topo-guides.aspx?t=gr&v=653. I did a fairly extensive writeup on one of our webpages: http://www.backpack45.com/camino2p4.html

Sixwheeler

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Arles Route (2013/2014 onwards)
Thanks Timor and backpack45scb, just what I needed to know. Sixwheeler

newfydog

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pamplona-Santiago, Le Puy- Santiago, Prague- LePuy, Menton- Toulouse, Menton- Rome, Canterbury- Lausanne, Chemin Stevenson, Voie de Vezelay
We used the FFRP guide. Real topo maps, lots of phone numbers, and still useful if your French isn't perfect.

Advertisment

caminka

Camino(s) past & future
see signature
I used Lepere's guide. really detailed desription (in french), info on all appropriate (pilgrim) accommodation and some other options (if you buy it, it contains a voucher for the latest accommodation update from the editors), only maps were not detailed enough for my taste. but in general, there are no waymarking or route-finding problems that I remember, except in foret de bauconne.

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 22 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 76 16.0%
  • May

Votes: 131 27.6%
  • June