• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arles Route versus Le Puy

Stephen B

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2014), Camino de Madrid (2017), Voie d'Arles (2018)
Hello friends, I am looking at routes to take this spring - from early April to mid/late May 2018 and can't decide between the Le Puy route and the Arles route. Would be grateful for any thoughts. Thanks, Steve.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Le Puy is beautiful going thru some fantastic southern France countryside. While the Arles follows the southern coast of France thru some sizably larger towns ( Montpelier) before it enters the Pyrenees. Any special reason to consider these routes.

Thank you Arn. I guess weather is a consideration, especially at that time of year. Plus I can do without a crowd. I enjoyed the Camino Frances for the fellow pilgrims when I did it in April 2014, but discovered when I did the Madrid Camino last year that the absence of traffic didn't trouble me at all. Besides my French is fine, so engaging with locals won't be awkward.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Since there are fewer walkers on the Arles route, there is less infrastructure and longer stages. Check the current Miam Miam Dodo and do some planning.

Thank you Kitsambler. Decision time is near. I also look forward to feasting further on your thoughtful blog.

Kind regards,

Steve

i've walked the Le Puy route, and last year the Célé variant. Lovely walking. Although i believe the Le Puy route is one of the busier routes in France it is not so busy that i noticed it. You could walk all day and hardly see anyone until you arrived at your destination. Accommodation and food were excellent (i stayed in gîtes most times, no hotels). I walked both times in September which is supposed to be one of the busiest months. The other being May, the month with most holiday days.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Stephen
I'll second Arn and Kitsambler that the Le Puy route is a beautiful walk but add that when I walked over the Aubrac in 2015 it snowed heavily May 20,21 and 22nd. I thought this highly unusual but several locals said it wasn't. After the town of Aubrac when the path begins its lovely descent spring flowers were all around.
bon chemin

i've walked the Le Puy route, and last year the Célé variant. Lovely walking. Although i believe the Le Puy route is one of the busier routes in France it is not so busy that i noticed it. You could walk all day and hardly see anyone until you arrived at your destination. Accommodation and food were excellent (i stayed in gîtes most times, no hotels). I walked both times in September which is supposed to be one of the busiest months. The other being May, the month with most holiday days.

Thanks Kayagee. I will be doing the route from mid-April to May. Hope the weather isn't too crazy. I guess it is always best to pack for the worst.

Hello Stephen
I'll second Arn and Kitsambler that the Le Puy route is a beautiful walk but add that when I walked over the Aubrac in 2015 it snowed heavily May 20,21 and 22nd. I thought this highly unusual but several locals said it wasn't. After the town of Aubrac when the path begins its lovely descent spring flowers were all around.
bon chemin

Thanks for your insight Richard. I guess you just never know how the weather will be. In my two walks through Spain - the Frances in 2014 and the Madrid in 2017 - they were unseasonably warm and dry. Maybe this year in France it will get real.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

This is a general question for my curiosity. It probably should be posted in “Equipment etc” but would probably get a lot of Spain replies. I’m not bringing my emergency beacon but I did read on...
Greetings pilgrims, We are walking next September from Lourdes to Somport and would like to hear stories and adv ice about the section from Urdos to Somport, with the big incline. Is this route...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back