A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

Arles to Camino Catalan via Narbonne and Perpignan

Camino(s) past & future
Aragon/Frances 08, Arles 10, Le Puy 12, Geneva 14, VdlP 15, Norte/Primitivo 15, VF 17, Levante 18,
Is there already a thread somewhere regarding the French part of the Camino which starts in Arles and connects with the Spanish Camino Girona (Cami Sant Jaume) to Montserrat and then the Camino Catalan to Logrono? I have the French Rando Guide Le Chemin Catalan: D'Arles a Logrono via Le Chemin de Le'Ebre (2013) which covers the route I am thinking of doing. It hugs the French coast initially, follows a bit of the Canal du Midi and then heads south to Narbonne and Perpignan continuing straight south before crossing the Col du Perthus and connecting with the Spanish Catalan camino route. I'm interested in getting more information on the French portion of this walk including up-to-date accomodation lists and pilgrim services. Are there accueil pelerin families on the French portion of this route?

lovingkindness

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
... I'm interested in getting more information on the French portion of this walk including up-to-date accomodation lists and pilgrim services. Are there accueil pelerin families on the French portion of this route?
Bonjour @Sitkapilgrim

Here are a few links to follow, each with contact details. Someone here may be able to help you, too:

*Les amis de Saint Jacques, Perpignon + Roussillonnaise : http://pelerinsdecompostelle.com/le...-jacques-de-compostelle-roussillon-perpignan/

*An online guide to Le Chemin Catalan with accommodation suggestions. To access the guide click on the image situated below "De bonnes raisons de découvrir le pèlerinage autrement sur les chemins Catalans" :
http://amis-compostelle66.fr/

* ACIR. Contact details at the bottom of the home page
http://www.chemins-compostelle.com/nos-services-public
accueil@chemins-compostelle.com

Happy planning!
Cheers
Lovingkindness

Last edited:

lovingkindness

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Salut, @Sitkapilgrim .

In France when following le chemin de st Jacques, If you find that you do not have anywhere to sleep for the night go to one of the following places, present your credential and asked for help in finding a bed for the night. The french are wonderfully kind:

Le presbytère
la mairie
la gendarmerie
la bibliothèque
le café
la pharmacie
la boulangerie
l'office de tourisme
people in the street

With a little help a pilgrim may find themselves a guest at the local maison de retraite; sheltered at the relais d'urgence; sleeping in a school hall or stadium or even an honoured guest of Monsieur/Madame le maire!

Bon courage!

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Aragon/Frances 08, Arles 10, Le Puy 12, Geneva 14, VdlP 15, Norte/Primitivo 15, VF 17, Levante 18,
Thank you for the great information above. And yes, having walked the Via Francigena from Canterbury to Rome, through eastern France, I am well aware of the range of possibilities for unexpected lodging from wonderful small town people along the way! The Pergignan Association of Friends of Pilgrims has great online information on pilgrim lodging from Perpignan to Col du Perthus, though this only covers 2 or 3 stages of the route, but I have written the president to see if he knows of similar lists for the earlier part of this route.

Do you know of any English or French blogs on this Rando Guide route from Arles to the border with Spain at the Col du Perthus? There must be many folks who have used Le Chemin Catalan guide by Jean-Yves Gregoire, but I am not finding them on this forum or on French online walking sites. I enjoy reading blogs to get more information about the route and accomodations, but of course, the unknown is also fine....

Camino(s) past & future
T...Do you know of any English or French blogs on this Rando Guide route from Arles to the border with Spain at the Col du Perthus? There must be many folks who have used Le Chemin Catalan guide by Jean-Yves Gregoire, but I am not finding them on this forum or on French online walking sites. I enjoy reading blogs to get more information about the route and accomodations, but of course, the unknown is also fine....
Hi @Sitkapilgrim

re blogs, info and accommodation in english, have you thought of contacting the Confraternity of Saint James, UK ? I see they have a page devoted to Catalan Caminos.

https://www.csj.org.uk/

Cheers

Camino(s) past & future
The Confraternity website only addresses the Spanish portions of the Catalan Caminos, not the French portion.

I wonder if I should do a query on this website under Cami Catalan/Cami San Jaume? Maybe that audience would include a few who started in France before continuing on the Cami Girona (Cami San Jaume).

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 126 15.4%
  • May

Votes: 198 24.2%