• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arles vs. Le Puy

Stroller123

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning Italy to Finisterre and back (20xx)
I'm not sure if this is the right section.

It looks like I can't cross the pass of Great Saint Bernard from October to June, the alternative would be getting a bus from the last Italian town to the first Swiss one. Or getting some crazy Italian guides to walk me through the peril of avalanches (joking). The same goes for the Moncenisio pass. So, this option is now on hold.

Taking the road from Liguria and South of France is way too expensive and a bit out of the way since I'm planning to include the Cammino di San Carlo that ends in Viverone.

So, the only way to get out of Italy looks the Montgenevre pass. I'm not happy about it as I'll need to cross Turin (I hate big cities) and since there are migrants trying to get illegally into France, I'll be probably stop and search by the gendarmerie every few Kms, which is going to be distressing. This might change by the time I'll go, which is not gonna be anytime soon.

From the Montgenevre pass I'll reach Arles, but from there I'm not sure what to do.
Originally I wanted to take the Geneva route to Le Puy, then Lourdes then SJPDP, but I don't think is a good idea walk from the Montgenevre pass to Geneva. So I was thinking to go from Arles to Lourdes to SJPDP, or from Arles to Le Puy, Lourdes and SJPDP.

I want to get specifically to SJPDP because only once there I'll decide if I want to take the Frances or the Norte.

So, which one did you prefer to walk the Camino de Arles or the Camino de Le Puy?

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Camino from Le Puy to SJPP is absolutely marvellous, but I didn't try Arles so I cannot compare.

The Arles route has the reputation of being hotter, more strenuous, longer stages, fewer accommodations, and fewer pilgrims than Le Puy. But I haven't walked it myself. The Geneva route, which I did walk, is quite lovely with good accommodation.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Arles route is my favorite, because of the beauty and because of the variety of scenes and challenges. However, one of the best parts is where it crosses the Pyrenees, so I would not divert to Lourdes and SJPDP. Stay on it until you get to Puenta La Reina. At that point you can continue to Santiago on the Frances, or walk back to Pamplona and take the train to Irun. I assume there is also a walking route from Pamplona to Irun, though I have not done that. All that said, Geneva to Le Puy and from Le Puy to SJPDP is wonderful, so it is hard to make a bad choice.

I'm another of these folks commenting who has only done one of the routes, the Arles from Toulouse. There's not a lot of infrastructure, but the countryside is excellent and the locals helpful and hospitable. If you're a history buff, you'll love it. I would agree with backpack45scb that the crossing of the Pyrenees from Oloron Sainte Marie to Jaca is spectacular. There is a trail (GR78) from Lourdes to Oloron Sainte Marie, and I think that there is a thread on this somewhere

@Stroller123 , I have only walked from Le Puy so cannot comment on other options.

From Le Puy to Moissac there is good frequent pilgrim infrastructure. After Le Puy the infrastructure is good but a bit more spread out. Stuff that may interest a pilgrim is spread along the entire route.

As an aside I have walked from Canterbury towards Rome in September 2018, stopping at Chaumont, Haut Marne. I could not have got that far without the tent I carry.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks to all for the input.

A bit more information:

I don't know yet when I'll be able to make the journey, but I don't want to leave later than the 1st of March, that's why I can't cross the pass of Great Saint Bernard on foot.

I love camping, I'm the kind of guy who would rather sleep in a tent than a five stars hotel, so I'll try to include as many campings as possible, if they are enough to justify the excess weight of a tent I'll bring it with me (I have this: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/santiago-to-rome.51831/#post-570264). Otherwise for emergency only a tarp or a poncho will do. I don't do "wild camping" in a non wild areas, so my concern would be to find camping sites open in Spring.

The reason I want to get to SJPDP is because by the time I'll get there I'll probably be on the road for a couple months already, so I may want more company than the previous route had offered me, or I may be fine and in that case I'll opt for walking the Norte.

I want to visit Lourdes, but I may change my mind during the journey. But during the planning I want to include it as my destination after Santiago would be Fatima. So, I would regret to pass so close to it and not be able to visit it.

The Le Puy route would be much more straightforward to me if coming from Geneva, otherwise if I take the Montgenevre - Arles route, I'll need to walk up from Arles to Le Puy and down again to Lourdes and up again to SJPDP. All this can be avoided by taking the bus to cross the tunnel of Great Saint Bernard, stay on the Francigena to Lauseanne, then walking to Geneva.

I'm still unsure, but probably a 30 min bus ride will avoid me a lot of ups and downs and crossing Turin...

... Lauseanne, then walking to Geneva.
... or not. Historical pilgrims would have taken the boat. I took the train. GittiHaare reports the pilgrim infrastructure between Lausanne and Geneva is ... well, below dismal (trying to avoid unprintable language). The route from Geneva has quite a few camping places, as I recall.

... or not. Historical pilgrims would have taken the boat. I took the train. GittiHaare reports the pilgrim infrastructure between Lausanne and Geneva is ... well, below dismal (trying to avoid unprintable language). The route from Geneva has quite a few camping places, as I recall.

What a bummer! I haven't checked the accommodations, but I look it up on Google Earth and for the most part it looked like a nice city walk near the lake. Without pilgrims accommodation that area it's gonna be very expensive. That stretch should be only 60 Km, if I can push it a bit I might be able to do it in two days, so the problem should only be for one night, max two.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What a bummer! I haven't checked the accommodations, but I look it up on Google Earth and for the most part it looked like a nice city walk near the lake. Without pilgrims accommodation that area it's gonna be very expensive. That stretch should be only 60 Km, if I can push it a bit I might be able to do it in two days, so the problem should only be for one night, max two.

I used to live in Geneva, and there's definitely a beautiful walk around the lake, which ends in central Geneva and turns into the Rhône river. At the same time, you can see the largest lake in Western Europe (Lake Geneva / Lac Leman), the largest fountain in Europe (the Jet d'Eau) and the largest mountain in Europe (Mont Blanc). In and around Geneva, you can see two mountain ranges in opposite directions: the Alps and the Jura.

There is only one youth hostel in Geneva that I know about, which is central, near the lake in the Pâquis. But even that would be expensive by the standards of most other countries (I am guessing here, but probably something like CHF40/bed).

Have walked both the Arles and Le Puy(twice) routes. The Le Puy route is my favourite. The Arles route, at the beginning, is through some big cities. I enjoyed it more after Toulouse.

Geneva definitely a beautiful walk around the lake, which ends in central Geneva and turns into the Rhône river. At the same time, you can see the largest lake in Western Europe (Lake Geneva / Lac Leman), the largest fountain in Europe (the Jet d'Eau) and the largest mountain in Europe (Mont Blanc). In and around Geneva, you can see two mountain ranges in opposite directions: the Alps and the Jura.
I absolutely agree - Geneva is beautiful, with plentiful services and a well-marked route. It's just the section from Lausanne to Geneva that's problematic.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Have walked both the Arles and Le Puy(twice) routes. The Le Puy route is my favourite. The Arles route, at the beginning, is through some big cities. I enjoyed it more after Toulouse.
Any experience walking Le Puy in early spring? March is my only option. Not put off by the elements, just want to know that it is doable. Any thoughts you have would be welcome. Because of the time of year I am torn between the Arles Way and Le Put.. cheers.

Any experience walking Le Puy in early spring? March is my only option.
You'll have (at least) two challenges with that timing. First, you start on a high plateau (Le Puy through Conques) which is vulnerable to snow still. Second, at least half the Le Puy route accommodations are only open from Easter to All Saints. Miam Miam Dodo gives complete info as to planned openings, and also contact info so you can send an email for reservation. You'll be reserving in advance, not because you are competing for bed space, but because you just might be the only walker that week, and you want to ensure Madame and Monsieur aren't taking off to visit the grandkids.

Most read last week in this forum

This is a general question for my curiosity. It probably should be posted in “Equipment etc” but would probably get a lot of Spain replies. I’m not bringing my emergency beacon but I did read on...
Greetings pilgrims, We are walking next September from Lourdes to Somport and would like to hear stories and adv ice about the section from Urdos to Somport, with the big incline. Is this route...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back