• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Armchair Pilgrim

AntAthOBuaidhe

Hi, folks,

I have been toying with the idea of doing the Camino for four or five years now, but still haven't got round to it. I have read a couple of books, watched a DVD by a Scotsman and his American wife, studied maps, but I still haven't budged off my chair.

I really want to do the walk from St Jean Pied du Port, but being cautious, I'll probably spend a fortnight running up and down the whole thing by bus checking it out first. I can't get my head around the idea of kipping down for the night with forty others in some giant dorm! I don't mind in the least sleeping on floors etc, but I don't much fancy such a privation of privacy.

I live in Ireland, don't (yet) speak Spanish, and enjoy long walks.

I think that's as good an intro as I can manage. :D

Sean

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Sean

Welcome......I hope you find a way to do a camino one day.If you want it enough, of course you will.

If you cant take dormitory acc., then take a hotel, hostal etc each night. It'll cost you though.
Or take a tent; but dont take a tent if you're not already a camper.

Carpe diem!

Thanks for the welcome, Caminando.

I don't want to go down the hotel route for certain - not much of a pilgrimage that. Hostels might be an idea, though. I hope to go over one year and check it all out and then go in earnest the following year. I'm not a camper, but I wouldn't mind going with someone else who is. I might have a root around among my friends.

Sean

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Only forty roommates? Where did you find the small albergues?

Buses parallel many parts of the route, but you won't see a lot from the bus. A private vehicle would give you a better view, but you will need a strong engine and four-wheel drive for some sections.

Have fun planning (and then doing).

AntAthOBuaidhe said:
Thanks for the welcome, Caminando.

I don't want to go down the hotel route for certain - not much of a pilgrimage that. Hostels might be an idea, though.

Sean

Just to be clear, Sean. I said Hostals, not hostels. Its not the same thing in Spain. Hostels, which you wouldnt find every night, are also dormitory. Hostals are a grade of hotel/private acc. I wouldnt use hotels either, for several reasons.

Remember if you have a tent, you'll need to spend to get a light one; plus all the gear to go with it. Pots, cookers, sl bags and so on. It weighs. As I said, be careful if you're not already a camper.

Just an opinion here - better not to check it all out by car. Its a totally different thing, and I mean that, and rather like looking at a film instead of being in it. I'd say you'd learn little or nothing that way. But I'm full of opinions. What will others say?

Hopefully, the buses will get me to the potential overnight stops and give me a chance to see these little albergues for myself. An approximate view of the terrain will be enough for me to go on. I don't like too many surprises, and never like shocks at any time.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
AntAthOBuaidhe said:
Hopefully, the buses will get me to the potential overnight stops and give me a chance to see these little albergues for myself. An approximate view of the terrain will be enough for me to go on. I don't like too many surprises, and never like shocks at any time.

True, but where wil you sleep that night? If you're not walking, you wont be allowed to stay there. So it's back to hotels etc.

Good luck and let us know what you did. By all means view the terrain which is not challenging mostly, except for distance, which IS a challenge; And that might be a surprise.

Caminando said:
True, but where wil you sleep that night? If you're not walking, you wont be allowed to stay there. So it's back to hotels etc.

Undoubtedly a hotel or pension of some description. The reconnaissance mission won't be a pilgrimage, more a kind of holiday with an agenda.

Sean,
One of the American crooners from the 60's had a hit song, "My way" in which he proudly proclaims "I did it my way" Let that be your anthem on the Camino, and the anthem for us, as we plod across Spain.

Don't become one of the many who sing "If only..." and have their litany of excuses.

Ultreia. (A traditional pilgrim exhortation meaning, "Onward")

David, Victoria, Canada.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
AntAthOBuaidhe said:
I have been toying with the idea of doing the Camino for four or five years now, but still haven't got round to it. I have read a couple of books, watched a DVD by a Scotsman and his American wife, studied maps, but I still haven't budged off my chair.

I think that's as good an intro as I can manage. :D
Sean

You sound tired already! :D :)

Hi Sean,

I must say I agree with David, and will add my 50 cents: I would say: get out of your comfort zone and just go for it! Get yourself a guidebook which emphasises on the accomodations, and off you go!
And if you find the lack privacy gets to you, you can always quit or continue by bus or whatever.

Better to regret a missed try then never to have gone for it at all...

Cheers,
Martin

PS Quite regularly, (especially private) albergues have one or two double or single rooms, which are a bit more expensive then regular beds. Maybe this is a good middle ground to aim for?

Hi Sean,
Welcome to the forum from another Irish procrastinator- I waited 33 years (between my 17th and 50th year) to start so don't worry you're not alone!
Even people who've walk the Camino Frances before and have therefore 'checked out' the whole route out from SJPP to Santiago find they have a different experience the next time around so be prepared to be unprepared if you know what I mean? The people, weather and levels of pilgrim traffic change all the time and they, and many other things one can't 'control', impact the way you experience a place.
There's generally a good variety of accommodation to choose from so you can try them out and see which is the best fit for you we used albergues, hostels, hostals, pensions and for treats a few hotels.
I was worried that I wouldn't be able for the full thing so decided to walk from Santiago to Fisterra and experience the 'pilgrim life' for a short period of 3 days in 2008 as a test case. This really worked for me and gave me the confidence to walk from SJPP to Santiago in 2009 and to start on other longer routes since. Perhaps you could try and have a Caminetto of this sort before you plunge in and walk the Camino Frances?
Best wishes
Nell

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Sean

Nell has hit on a very good solution. I will add to it by suggesting you consider the Camino Portugues. It's quieter and tho' you will use dormitories, it may be much less crowded than the CF. Incidentally, many of us, certainly I do, have difficulties with such sleeping arrangements; the trick is to deal with it. Someone spoke about comfort zones. I would have done so too, but a mindless volley of stones would have come my way, (not from you!). But you should be tired enough to ignore those around you - unless its a vanload of teenagers.

But in the end, you will have to launch yourself from that armchair or endure eternal regrets. Or you could just keep on watching DVDs. That can be nice with a glass of wine it must be said.

Forget the reconnaisance - **** or get off the pot. :) :wink:

Hello Sean :)

Just a small suggestion, but I've been watching a lot of video's on youtube lately of pilgrimages on the camino. I would recommend Mark Shea's videos called "The Way". He posts them as "overlander". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph5OfFi9 ... 98&index=5
I believe there are something like 41 in all.

Also, if you are interested in finding out about the hostels, you can search on youtube for something like "camino albergue". Some people have video's posted of actual hostels along the way.

Good luck in your search and your decision!

Heather

Hi Sean,

A word of advice from a fellow Irish man, get the finger out and go for it! Dont worry about the dorms. I walked from St Jean pied de port to Santiago and then on to Finsterre and loved every minute of it. I also carried a tent and crashed out in a few fields. You dont need to bring pots and pans. I also slept on a park bench on arriving in Santiago after walking 70 kms on the final day.

So Sean life is short, get up and go for it. You will have a wonderful expierence.

The Camino always provdes

Regards

Kenseph

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I like your style Kenseph - way to go! :wink:

I met an Irishman from the Republic last year, Dublin I think. He was wearing a kilt and a beret with a shamrock in it (plus other garments of course). Low grade pack, no designer gear, his boots seemed leather ex-army - he was very happy and walked in a most relaxed way - seemed to be having a wonderful time, though was a little bewildered by all the photos that were being taken of him.

as for the sitting in the armchair rather than doing it ... well I say ...

go onnnnn .. aaww y'will, y'will, y'will (etc)

Attachments

• father_ted_down_with_this_sort_of_thing.jpg
    father_ted_down_with_this_sort_of_thing.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 199
My goodness, so many encouraging replies! Thank you all, for for your advice and links.

If I can get the time away this year I will do some kind of Caminetto to get a feel for it and bus around a bit too, to get an overview of the rest.

I have heard not much English is spoken along the route (why would there be?). How have you ex-pilgrims managed? Have you learned any Spanish before going?

Hi Sean

To be honest, I had no spanish starting off on my camino, but you soon pick up a few phrases along the way. Alot of spanish people have a good grasp of the english language. Just start learning a few phrases now.

Regards

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Sean,
In instances when our baby Spanish just wasn't enough and English wasn't spoken we found that, until at least Burgos, French was likely to be spoken and understood so it provided a workable alternative.
People are very forgiving of linguistic errors and we always at least tried to use some Spanish. As others have said you'll pick up the essentials pretty quickly.
N

Hi Sean,
I'm from Ireland. I read about the Camino in th 1980's but had four small sons and so did not get going until 2007. I was in my mid 60's and felt a bit long in the tooth to start sleeping in mixed dorms, but decided I wanted to do it as pilgrims of old. Let me tell you when you have walked 20+ K and done your washing you just want a bed and you don't care who you are sleeping next to. there is great camaraderie in the albergues. But if you really need your privicy many of the casa rurals charge only about 24 to 30 euro. If it is on your heart to do the Camino, DO IT.
Leave no room for regrets

Buen Camino

Lydia

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Actually I have found that people on the Camino are respectful about privacy. There are not many places where there isn't a place where you can get change din private. Many people get up early while it is dark and the lights are not switched on which does give a large degree of privacy.

One peregrina taught me a trick. If your bunk is next to another and the two are so close that they are almost a double bed, pop your sleeping bag round so that your feet are where your neighbour's head is. It feels a bit more comfortable.

There are some albergues where the washing facilities are unisex but they are slowly becoming the minority as the Spanish are learning that we are not all continental. I've seen pilgrims of both sexes guard the doors while their friends are washing and that's fine.

As the journey goes on you will become more used to having people in the space which you previously would have baulked at.

Get out of the armchair and come and join us.

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done VĂ©zelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.