• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Armchair tasting tour of Spanish wine

Helen1

Time of past OR future Camino
London to Santiago (2014)
Narbonne to Oloron (2015)
Camino Portugues (2016)
Sentier Cathar (2017)
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Mencia is my contribution to this list, prior to my Xmas Camino just gone I have seemed to have missed this deep aromatic red wine grown in the El Bierzo and parts of Galicia. After a night sat on a bar stool in Ponferrada, drinking this after it was recommend by a local, and eating the substantial Pinchos that came with every glass it is now on my watch list https://winefolly.com/deep-dive/mencia-wine/ I have a feeling many on here already know it, but for some reason it has eluded me, for the rest of my Xmas Camino Mencia kept presenting it self to me.

Last edited:
I was instructed by a barman in Orense, as I love wine but knew little about galician wines, still limited knowledge on them though. 😊
Seemingly there are five designation of origin in Galicia, four of them from Orense (vines you go past when walking invierno and portuguese interior) and the fifth is the spread and well known rias baixas. 🍷
Delicious both, red mencia and whites godello or albarino, as I was told they are the kind of grape they come from.
Hope not to sound kind of know-it-all, but couldn’t hold it back. ☺

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I highly recommend the Red Wine from the Bierzo. I didn't know that wine-growing-region before my Camino. I had a tasting in a Bodega a few km before Villafranca del Bierzo and was astonished about the quality and the taste of those redwines from that specific region.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Mencia is my contribution to this list, prior to my Xmas Camino just gone I have seemed to have missed this deep aromatic red wine grown in the El Bierzo and parts of Galicia. After a night sat on a bar stool in Ponferrada, drinking this after it was recommend by a local, and eating the substantial Pinchos that came with every glass it is now on my watch list https://winefolly.com/deep-dive/mencia-wine/ I have a feeling many on here already know it, but for some reason it has eluded me, for the rest of my Xmas Camino Mencia kept presenting it self to me.
Very good information about Mencia wines thank you.
The Bierzo wines have improved a lot.
Many years ago I always bought a "garrafa" at the Villafranca cooperativa when driving to Galicia. It was cheap but not so good as now.

Yesterday evening I finished a bottle of Mencia Roble from 2016 of the Bierzo while playing cards with my beloved one. It was rated as best Mencia of it's pricing. It was cheap, the bottle for 7,90€.

Sometimes even the self-quarantine has it's good times ;).

The Wine we drank had great kindness, few tannins and very strong sour cherry, minimal peppery and red currant flavors with some notes of the mineral it grows on. A very nice wine for the occasion.
Liked it better than most of the Riojas of that pricerange.

Most Galician white wine is expensive here if it can be found. We had to travel out of state back in the beginning of Feb., and brought home a case of Albarino. Spring is here so we may enjoy a bottle out on our porch this evening. With some olives and jamon of course!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Most Galician white wine is expensive here if it can be found. We had to travel out of state back in the beginning of Feb., and brought home a case of Albarino. Spring is here so we may enjoy a bottle out on our porch this evening. With some olives and jamon of course!
Better a lobster for the Albariño! There are also lobsters in Galicia.

It's been a few years, even so I still recall it occurred in my early twenties, in Reliegos Elvis Bar while tasting a glass of wine. ☺

We asked for a local beverage, Xinin the owner warned us it was kind of a thick stuff made of Prieto Picudo grapes.
Even so, we ordered it. 💪

I may rarely compare it to past superb riojas or upcoming great mencias, so sayin, I also enjoyed it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's been a few years, even so I still recall it occurred in my early twenties, in Reliegos Elvis Bar while tasting a glass of wine. ☺

We asked for a local beverage, Xinin the owner warned us it was kind of a thick stuff made of Prieto Picudo grapes.
Even so, we ordered it. 💪

I may rarely compare it to past superb riojas or upcoming great mencias, so sayin, I also enjoyed it.
Yes there are other grapes appart from tempranillo, garnacha, mencia...with small productions.
For example Albarin (different to Albariño) that is the base for Cangas de Narcea wines in Asturias.
A cousin of mine has planted them near Lugo (that is not a wine area) and now is waiting for his first harvest. I don't know the wine but I'm sure that the orujo will be great.

Yes there are other grapes appart from tempranillo, garnacha, mencia...with small productions.
For example Albarin (different to Albariño) that is the base for Cangas de Narcea wines in Asturias.
A cousin of mine has planted them near Lugo (that is not a wine area) and now is waiting for his first harvest. I don't know the wine but I'm sure that the orujo will be great.

Albarin grape is news to me, also those Lugo bred vines sound great.
Please, and to the extent you feel like, let us know on them.
Northern vines. ❤

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Why does that simple concept make me oh so very happy 🤔
In Galicia North is famous the Betanzos orujo. They say that is the best of all.
The grape is also Albarin. My cousin's place is 300 mts higher and therefore is colder (near Baamonde).
So I think that the orujo there must be even more fruity and aromatic than in Betanzos (and the wine worse).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Betanzos orujo. They say that is the best of all.
Its probably the one I had in a pulperia in Lugo. The taste was smooth, and it let a collective oohhh from the group I was with when we downed them, rather than the usual collective shudder.

Its probably the one I had in a pulperia in Lugo. The taste was smooth, and it let a collective oohhh from the group I was with when we downed them, rather than the usual collective shudder.
In the Denominación de Origen Orujos de Galicia there are subregions.
I am not an expert in Orujos but I bet that the Nothern ones: Betanzos and Portomarin must be the best. But I am afraid that there is not possible to find in the market Orujo bottles with these origins defined because the global quality market for Orujo is small.

No lobster here in West Virginia. Making do with jars of Castelvetrano olives (similar to Campo Reales found in Madrid), and the last of a leg of jamon that was a birthday present for my husband. I am hopeing the Albarino outlasts the Corona.

Are there no crayfish in the streams of West Virginia? Albarino would be excellent after a day of netting them.

I am in quarantine in Canada for the next 9 days after bringing my mother back from Florida, and I have some shrimp in my freezer which will accompany a bottle of godello for next Sunday's dinner.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are a couple of very small regions in Palencia. They are superior but hard to find for sale in Spain, much less the US. The blends of tempranillo and cabernet sauvignon are incredible and when they add some local grape varieties, out of this world. I am not sure what the DOC is.

Are there no crayfish in the streams of West Virginia? Albarino would be excellent after a day of netting them.

I am in quarantine in Canada for the next 9 days after bringing my mother back from Florida, and I have some shrimp in my freezer which will accompany a bottle of godello for next Sunday's dinner.
I hate to admit this, but I go to Spain and eat absolutely no pescado or mariscos. I ask for my ensalada mixta with the tuna on the side on a separate dish for my husband to eat. I do not eat seafood of any kind. I can locate a fish market a mile away no matter how fresh. I can tolerate sitting across the table from my husband while he eats pulpo, but only if I am upwind. 🤪

DOC means Denominazione (di) origine controllata. Wine from controlled (specified) geographical origin.
Originating from Italy it's widely used for wines all over the world with a controlled growing area. Cooperatives and Associations of winegrowers or government agencies are controlling the origin of the grapes used for winemaking. So Rioja is from the Region Rioja in Spain, while wine from Franconia in Germany come from Franconia and not elsewhere.

On this map you can see all the different winegrowing regions in germany that are listed in the german wine-legislation.

Hope that this help a bit. :)
And now for something stronger: 🥃 Tullibardine Single Malt

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I also recall when walking Coruña’s leg of the ingles, in an old fashioned looking (still lovely) ❤ bar pulling draft vermouth into tiny individual spanish pitchers called porrones.
Just curious I asked the barman, who told me they came from Cataluña where seemingly it is quite traditional.
No doubt it was one of the highlights from that camino.

DOC means Denominazione (di) origine controllata. Wine from controlled (specified) geographical origin.
Originating from Italy it's widely used for wines all over the world with a controlled growing area. Cooperatives and Associations of winegrowers or government agencies are controlling the origin of the grapes used for winemaking. So Rioja is from the Region Rioja in Spain, while wine from Franconia in Germany come from Franconia and not elsewhere.

On this map you can see all the different winegrowing regions in germany that are listed in the german wine-legislation.

Hope that this help a bit. :)
And now for something stronger: 🥃 Tullibardine Single Malt
A wine included in a DOC in Spain must also have the authorized grape. For example, DOC Rioja doesn't admit Mencia or Pinod Noir grapes.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I also recall when walking Coruña’s leg of the ingles, in an old fashioned looking (still lovely) ❤ bar pulling draft vermouth into tiny individual spanish pitchers called porrones.
Just curious I asked the barman, who told me they came from Cataluña where seemingly it is quite traditional.
No doubt it was one of the highlights from that camino.

The artisanal vermouths of Spain are a delight and I would often find that bars would make their own (well, not all of them were delightful). They were an excellent way to while away a half-hour before the evening mass.

The artisanal vermouths of Spain are a delight and I would often find that bars would make their own (well, not all of them were delightful). They were an excellent way to while away a half-hour before the evening mass.
I found it quite an experience.
At that time I was far from being familiar with craft vermouth, and absolutely loved it.
As memorable as those small pitchers it was poured into.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Some of the most interesting wine I had on pilgrimage came in unlabelled bottles - and I include Orujo.
I was always amused seeing the same label as we moved from place to place, Vino de casa. Always good.

We just left a Zoom meeting with a dozen friends with an invitation of Cocktails before dinner. There were four of us with Spanish wines including one who gave me some cava for Christmas in appreciation for being a "tour guide" in October before I did my camino. That's the wine Peg and I had.

Some of the most interesting wine I had on pilgrimage came in unlabelled bottles - and I include Orujo.

I recall being in Yesa after a really long day out of Berdun along the north shore of the lake, and the waitress brought me an unlabelled bottle, to the horror of the patron, who apologized and went to fetch me something more elegant (with a label). After a moment of discussion, he allowed that it was from his uncle's finca in the centre of Aragon----given that the labelled bottle was a Gran Feudo, a very decent wine with which I was familiar, I told him that I would like to see what his uncle's wine was like. He admitted that his uncle produced a very nice wine which they would drink on Sundays, and proceeded to get me a bottle. It was a deep dark velvet and, while it might have been the fatigue of the day which made it memorable, I believe it to be one of the best reds I have had.

As the restaurant was empty aside from two German motorcyclists who were happy with their beer, I ended up with the patron and the waitress (a cousin) sitting with me, hearing tales of the Carlists and the Civil War in the valley. I should note that one's linguistic capabilities are greatly improved by good tinto.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My brother invited me yesterday for lunch and showed me a Monjardin red wine he had been recommended by the owner of a winery he visits quite often.
Fruity, tasty and, oddly enough, unexpectedly familiar. :)
I forgot to take a picture, but have found it on its site.
Monjardin.png

I tried Orujo last year whilst laid up just north of Madrid with a foot injury. It was at Tincatinkers recommendation. I somehow got talking to a small aged farm worker in a bar and we ended up buying each other orujo. My Spanish improved significantly in the course of the evening, and I forgot all about my foot.

After a couple of hours I thought I was going to die.

Next morning I awoke as fresh as a daisy with no sign of any ill effect.

Best treated with respect.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I tried Orujo last year whilst laid up just north of Madrid with a foot injury. It was at Tincatinkers recommendation. I somehow got talking to a small aged farm worker in a bar and we ended up buying each other orujo. My Spanish improved significantly in the course of the evening, and I forgot all about my foot.

After a couple of hours I thought I was going to die.

Next morning I awoke as fresh as a daisy with no sign of any ill effect.

Best treated with respect.
Orujo is not very popular in Madrid.
The places for orujo in Spain are Galicia, Asturias, León and Cantabria.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.