• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Armed & Dangerous at the Albergue

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CFx2, CPx1
The middle aged American lady looked hopelessly at her upper bunk.
Then enviously down at me relaxing on the bottom bunk.
“There's just no way I'll ever be able to get up there!” she exclaimed.
“The Casa Rural full was it?” I asked. She nodded.
“Oh well, pilgrims just have to make do,” I said.
“You wouldn't consider swapping?” she asked.
“You are apparently unaware madam,” I said, “that the age of chivalry is dead. I am also of the opinion that it's not coming back any time soon.”
I rolled off the bed and found a chair which I positioned at the bunk's edge.
“Now stop complaining and get your butt up there.”
She climbed up onto the chair. I laced my fingers to form a stirrup.
Up she clambered. A broad smile broke across her face.
Such a smile. I had to take a photo.
“This is really rather fun, isn't it!”, she exclaimed, looking expansively about the dorm.
Sleeping on the top bunk was indeed highly prized when I was a child.
I would rock the bunks precariously from side to side and hurl various objects at my brother below.
What fun I had! What happened to make me change my mind?
It was you lot. For no good reason telling me the bottom bunk was better.
I've been brainwashed!
Next Camino it's top bunk all the way for me!
I want to recover some of that childhood joy.

Regds
Gerard

ps. Anyone know where I can get a spud gun and a good water pistol?
I wanna be armed and dangerous at the Albergue.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Personally I prefer the lower bunk.

The mid night visit to the loo means my first step is not "a doozy of a fall" to the floor below but instead a simply tumble forward, followed by a shuffle or two, ideally not hitting the bunk bed beside me.

In other words I not in the mood at all to practice aerobics at 3:00 am in the morning, so the lower bunk means I need only simply resort to my basic human male functions required to navigate from the bed to the loo.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I love this!

For me, the bottom is ideal. If one can picture Winnie the Pooh trying to climb up on top of anything, that is what I look like. I'm not so "bendy". Once I'm up there, I get stuck if someone moves the sacred chair I had to use to reach the summit. I once sat up for 1/2 hour waiting for someone to come by to replace chair since my knees were totally worn out. I knew I'd hit the floor immediately if I tried on my own. I've also fallen off the top a few times, which is kind of funny.

Thank you all for the chuckle this eve. Much needed after today.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Great posts! I lurched my way up and down those bunks in August. First time in a bunk bed in 38 years. At 6'3" you might think it would be easy, but not a chance. I also spent some time trapped up top. A few of our roommates had closed the windows up tight and I woke up hot, claustrophobic, needing to visit the facilities and with a cramp in my leg that I feared would become a spasm if I attempted to get down. After a ridiculous looking upper bunk stretching session I finally made my escape...while trying to avoid stepping on the head over the lower bunk occupant who chose to place his head right next to the ladder. Those beds certainly make for some entertaining if not very restful nights!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just over 3 weeks back in Logrono , two men fell off the top bunks within minutes of one another. A german chap in his 60s rolled off and bashed his head badly , needing stitches and a polish chap soon followed , breaking his arm. An ambulance took them both to hospital.
Personaly I think that all this can be avoided by some sort of strap system. I have noticed that a few albergues have welded an extra bar on the top bunks.

I am a woman of a certain age who also does not relish the climb to the top bunk. Last year approaching Torres del Rio I helped a man, who seemed a bit lost, to find an albergue. (They were pretty obvious, but maybe he was suffering from the heat.) To my surprise, this man then pushed in front of me to get to the albergue counter first! It turned out though that this action had been noticed by the hospitalero, who wrote down all the man's details, but then made him wait while he wrote down mine. The hospitalero then took us both upstairs together, generously carrying my pack. And in the room he pointed out a bunk to me first- a bottom bunk. Bliss! The age of chivalry was not dead!
Margaret

Your entry brought back an incident where I found myself with just the top bunk in an already full room. There were no way I could get up there as I am only 5'2", even with my husband trying to 'winch' me up! In despair I was about to pull the mattress off and put it anywhere on the floor if only I could find a space (impossible of course), when a tall woman offered me her bunk. I did notice a few young men twitching and looking as though they might, but apparently this kind woman had been using top bunks along her Camino, so they were spared this. At least, she found it much easier to get to the top! I was extremely grateful for her kindness and after that always checked to make sure that the bunk beds had a ladder at least! Having read about the 'fantastic view' from the top of these bunks I think I might reconsider the next time we go on our Camino! Perhaps do some upper arm exercises in preparation...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've been happy to take the top bunk ever since I saw a pilgrim return to his (lower bunk) bed at the Nájera municipal albergue and the board holding his mattress fell through the frame to the floor with him on it. He was fine and took it in stride (though the whole dorm was awakened), but ever since I've been a bit paranoid that the bunk above me may fall on me during the night!

The few times that I've had a mattress on the floor have been my most restful dorm sleeps. The extremely squeaky bunk beds at the Santander albergue on the Norte route were by far my least favorite! And I'm glad I never had to try out the top of the triple bunks in Viana!

I gave up my bottom bunk in Navarette to a woman who had hurt her ankle. I didn't see her again until Finisterre....she was still grateful! It was a nice to know I was somebody's camino angel :)

In Viana mid October a few years ago the municipal albergue was VERY crowded; all the bunks in those famous triple tiers were taken. Luckily I had found one on the bottom level.The actual effect was similar to movie scenes of a tightly packed WWII troop ship! Nevertheless since some amorous pilgrim couples were “très sportif" those upper bunks kept swaying back and forth throughout the night!!

MM

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It was siesta time in the Melide alburque and I was just dozing off (on a top bunk) when the top bunk next to me collapsed with a tremendous crash to the floor. The wooden posts literally splintered! The poor guy on top of that one rolled onto the floor, miraculously unhurt. Luckily there was no one on the bunk below. Take your pick I guess. Destiny is as destiny goes.

I'm sure that all of you bunk experts who have posted on this thread know this already, but just in case anyone reading hasn't been on a bunk since the days of summer camp, you should know that there is an easy way and a hard way to get down from a top bunk.

The easy way is to slide down with your face facing inward (that is, the bed below), you just slide down easily and your feet will touch the floor before your arms have to let go of the top bunk. For some reason, I always see numbers of pilgrims on the top going down facing outwards, and this is much harder and more dangerous whether there is a ladder or not. Buen camino, Laurie

I'm sure that all of you bunk experts who have posted on this thread know this already, but just in case anyone reading hasn't been on a bunk since the days of summer camp, you should know that there is an easy way and a hard way to get down from a top bunk.

The easy way is to slide down with your face facing inward (that is, the bed below), you just slide down easily and your feet will touch the floor before your arms have to let go of the top bunk. For some reason, I always see numbers of pilgrims on the top going down facing outwards, and this is much harder and more dangerous whether there is a ladder or not. Buen camino, Laurie
Any tips on making an elegant ascent?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Hi Laurie

I think by now given the number of pilgrim trails you have walked, you could be described as a professional bunk bed slider.

I wonder if Sil has this in her latest camino book on tips and tricks on doing the camino?

I could see a whole chapter devoted to bunk beds - getting into and out of bunks beds, double vs triple or go it alone, making out in a bunk bed so your neighbours don't know, etc.

Where is Tim Moore when you need him

Hi Laurie

I think by now given the number of pilgrim trails you have walked, you could be described as a professional bunk bed slider.

I wonder if Sil has this in her latest camino book on tips and tricks on doing the camino?

I could see a whole chapter devoted to bunk beds - getting into and out of bunks beds, double vs triple or go it alone, making out in a bunk bed so your neighbours don't know, etc.

Where is Tim Moore when you need him

Well, I long ago realized that my professional aspirations were unlikely to be fulfilled in my "real world," but I take great comfort knowing I can claim professional status in my dearly beloved addiction, the Camino. :)

Any tips on making an elegant ascent?

Hi, Helen, I think that probably the best way up, if there are no ladders or chairs, is to step (carefully and with as small a footprint as possible) on the lower bunk and then hoist yourself up from there, arms on the top bunk and hoping you can get your center of gravity over the edge of the mattress. I'm sure many hilarious videos could be taken of pilgrims getting up and down from the upper bunk.

And just a couple more advantages of the upper bunk -- you will have greater daylight and you can often sit up better on the top than on the bottom. Take it from me, as jirit says, I'm a professional! Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Personally I prefer the lower bunk.

The mid night visit to the loo means my first step is not "a doozy of a fall" to the floor below but instead a simply tumble forward, followed by a shuffle or two, ideally not hitting the bunk bed beside me.

In other words I not in the mood at all to practice aerobics at 3:00 am in the morning, so the lower bunk means I need only simply resort to my basic human male functions required to navigate from the bed to the loo.
Yea, I have the same issue and concern....Sheesh....

Great discussion. I have mixed feelings about the bunks. I love the bottom bunk because I'm a loo visitor in the night, and also because I'm a "night terror/screamer" person and I tend to suddenly move in ways that might fling me off the top bunk. (I'm apologizing here in advance if you are in the same albergue as me) 'Nuff said about that. Also if it's raining I can hang my laundry from my "ceiling" which is handy. On the other hand, I often take the top bunk. I haven't had a (falling) accident, and although it is tricky to get in and out, it's not so bad. I'm pretty agile, and have adapted all the moves which Laurie describes. (But, oh, that last few inches when my arms are stretched to the limit and my toes have not yet touched the floor . . . ) Having said all that, I would gladly give my bottom bunk up to anyone who needs/wants it more than me. All part of the adventure, eh?

I like the bunks (top or bottom) where they are pushed together. It is always nice to be surprised with a bed partner^^.

It enhances the benefit of sleeping next to someone who is an active sleeper, snorer or even someone to help you get down from the top bunk :).

Ultreya,
Joe

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I like the bunks (top or bottom) where they are pushed together. It is always nice to be surprised with a bed partner^^.

It enhances the benefit of sleeping next to someone who is an active sleeper, snorer or even someone to help you get down from the top bunk :).

Ultreya,
Joe
Hmmmm. This is an added benefit of the Camino I did not know about...:)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
What a great thread! I'm yet to master the elegant ascent or descent from the top bunk, and have developed what's known as the "iron bladder" to make it through the night - a skill that's also very helpful on long stretches of Messeta with no trees/ditches/bushes for privacy and loads of people around! ;)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Thanks for your post - this is exactly why I love this forum - tidbits of info that are so useful.

€60,-
Ha! You are all so funny. I love this. Ten years ago when I was a nimble 60 year old I chose the top bunk out of preference. There seems to be more privacy and my bladder was strong enough to last the night - not to mention the advantages of water balloons, spit balls, paper air planes and more as mentioned. Now I find I am not so nimble and I'm a slower walker so usually have no choice about having a top bunk and when there is no ladder it is really difficult to get to a top bunk.

I found getting over the end of the bed to work the best since there is usually a railing on the bottom bunk, although climbing over the end railing at the top is a challenge and must present a hilarious picture for the onlookers!! Many thanks to the generous younger people this past spring who insisted I should not have to climb up in those situations and gave me their bottom bunks and to the man from the Czech Republic in Foncebadon who insisted on hoisting me up and lifting me down!!!!!

I don't mind the top bunk at all when there's a ladder and I sure don't expect special treatment because of age, but I really appreciated the generosity of those who chose to help out in the difficult spots.
Buen camino everybody.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Top bunks and all .. I haven't read the whole thread so maybe I'm repeating ( sorry) .. Being an ex-US Navy guy I spent a lot of time climbing in and out of bunks and I will tell you right here and right now .. I'm forever a top bunk guy even if I have a broken leg . The main reason ?.. The folks that enjoy a hardy party but later come to find that the party didn't quite enjoy them (or the seas are rough) . Nothing like a sick bunk mate being on the top when your on the bottom.

The top provides way more space. You can hang your drying laundry all over the space of the person below. The bottom makes it easy to get up in the middle of the night. However, often there is not enough space to even sit up straight on a bottom bunk. Look for a ladder if you want the top. Also, wearing an eye mask might be useful on a top bunk if light in the early morning disturbs you. You don't have to worry about being killed by a bunk bed falling on you if you are on a top bunk. On the other hand, your backpack is usually on the "ground floor" so you will have to organize a bit in advance. Bottom line, there are advantages and disadvantages for top and bottom. Look at the bright side depending on what is available!! All this talk about bunk beds is making me drowsy. Night all, have a good sleep.
Kathy

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My big sister got the top bunk when we were kids, so now I always go for the top bunk when I get the chance.

My big sister got the top bunk when we were kids, so now I always go for the top bunk when I get the chance.

I guess some people have developed "top bunk" fetishes due to deep seated sibling issues :)

I wonder what it means for those like myself that like the bottom bunk bed? :(

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I was staying in an old victorian house last year and the bed was soooo high. I had to figure out how I was gonna get on it. God help me if I had to scramble onto a top bunk now...

Love this thread. Reading all the responses eases some of my anxieties of life in an albergue and the famous top bunk. I'm "older than dirt" and on the "robust" side. I can just see myself collapsing in giggles trying to get up to the top bunk. On my first pilgrimage, I lucked out and didn't have to deal the the top bunk issue.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked in April/May this year with my daughter. It is normal practice in albergues to allocate a lower and upper bunk to walkers arriving in pairs, and my daughter was kind enough to always take the upper bunk in these circumstances. However there was one occasion when I found myself at the age of 59 clambering into a top bunk for the first time in my life. I have to admit that once up there it was rather better than down below where it is impossible to sit up and I was always aware that unthinkable 'stuff' could be falling down on me during the night from the mattress above.

If there is a well placed chair or a sturdy ladder to the top bunk I wouldn't worry too much about using it. And after a couple of weeks on the camino, you won't be worrying about what you look like clambering up and down. I remember one occasion when I emerged from my bottom bunk at the same time as the young man above me decided to swing his legs over the side and slapped me in the face with his foot - luckily a bare foot! It didn't hurt and we both fell about laughing - all good character forming stuff.

Top bunk if I can manage it - had the experience of 'debris' dust falling on my face while the person in the top bunk lumbered around trying to get comfortable, so it's worth the effort and creaky bones to get up there :)

The middle aged American woman looked hopelessly at her upper bunk.
“Oh well, pilgrims just have to make do”, I said.
“You are apparently unaware madam,” I said, “that the age of chivalry is dead and I don't think it's coming back any time soon”.
“Now stop complaining and get your butt up there”.
She climbed up onto the chair. I laced my fingers together to form a stirrup.
“This is really rather fun, isn't it!”, she exclaimed, looking expansively about the dorm.
I would rock the bunks precariously from side to side and hurl various objects at my brother down below.
I've been brainwashed!
It's in short supply.

Regds
Gerard

I wanna be armed and dangerous.

I hope Gerard, that you would give up the bottom bunk if someone really wasn't able for it, and you weren't seriously crocked yourself. Chivalry may well be dead, but kindness should never go out of fashion :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Top bunk if I can manage it - had the experience of 'debris' dust falling on my face while the person in the top bunk lumbered around trying to get comfortable, so it's worth the effort and creaky bones to get up there :)
Okay, Now I am a top bunk guy again.....Sheesh....

I hope Gerard, that you would give up the bottom bunk if someone really wasn't able for it, and you weren't seriously crocked yourself. Chivalry may well be dead, but kindness should never go out of fashion :)
I considered addressing that fact but decided the post would perhaps be more thought provoking if I did not.
Regds
Gerard

I fell trying to get back in my upper bunk in Roncesvalles old section, of monastery at three in morning. There was no ladder and fell on my fourth swing between adjoining bunks (It was like thr Parellel bars) my fellow caminoite on the bottom bunk was not impressed. She screamed waking the rest of the pilgrims met her several times during walk always got a smile Buen Camino!!! Take care or take a Gymnastic course.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The middle aged American woman looked hopelessly at her upper bunk.
“Oh well, pilgrims just have to make do”, I said.
“You are apparently unaware madam,” I said, “that the age of chivalry is dead and I don't think it's coming back any time soon”.
“Now stop complaining and get your butt up there”.
She climbed up onto the chair. I laced my fingers to form a stirrup.
I would rock the bunks precariously from side to side and hurl various objects at my brother below.
I've been brainwashed!

Regds
Gerard

I wanna be armed and dangerous.
We older guys have (through no fault of our own) have developed the need to "water the garden" frequently during most nights. It is probably in everyone's best interests to allow us to claim a lower berth, if you get my drift.

We can all go to sleep now. No snoring ok?

Elizabeth: Good night, John Boy.
John-Boy: Good night, Elizabeth. Good night, Daddy.
John: Good night, Son. Good night, Mary Ellen.
Mary Ellen: Good night, Daddy. Good night, Mama.
Olivia: Good night, Mary Ellen. Good night, Jim Bob.
Jim Bob: Good night, Mama. Good night, Erin.
Erin: Good night, Jim Bob. Good night, Ben.
Ben: Good night, Erin. Good night, everybody.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Why climb up when you can walk up?

I think the albergues should get some of these instead http://www.efurniturehouse.com/images/products/detail/JTFSTH500TwinFullStairwayBunkBed.jpg

Buen Camino!

I love the bunk bed picture! I can see really enjoying the space of the double bunk below while laying my clothes out for morning on the stairs as they provide great opportunities for organization. Wouldn't that be annoying for the upper bunk bedder? Just humour, not serious!

Hey Pats, that must be why they sell carabiners in pilgrim supply shops.
lmao...ima need more security than that to get me to the top of three bunks...lol. That would make me feel like frodo and samwise when they were camped on the ledge of the cliff climbing the idiotic stairs...
no sah!

So here's a question. Who has rights on the hanging space from under the top mattress, I kind of thought it would have been the bottom bunk since it forms a sort of curtain which they may or may not want...but then again, its hanging off the top side...... ;)

€60,-
Someone had mentioned this as one of the advantages of opting for the top bunk... I would have thought not too but just wondering what others thought.

The farthest I would go is to hang clothes ("clean" only ;)) off the rail at the end of the top bunk...meaning the person below really doesn't see them at all.

Why would someone hang a dirty pair of socks on a bunk bed when you can wash them clean and hang on a clothes line to dry?
Not only would it be rude but completely uncalled for.

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Chair... Very good idea if they're about but I don't recall seeing many. I'm cast back to the 90 bed dorm in Najera (maybe). Not one chair to be had :eek:

€60,-
Chair... Very good idea if they're about but I don't recall seeing many. I'm cast back to the 90 bed dorm in Najera (maybe). Not one chair to be had :eek:

Well I always carry a very thin clothes line with me. no time to set one up indoors.;)

Buen Camino!

Only the bottom bunk occupant has the right to hang laundry et al from the underside or sides of the upper bunk.

Poor guy on the top bunk. Not only does he/she have to climb up but cannot hang anything from his/her bed. Just throw your clothes on the floor.:confused:

Won´t tell my wife that as she always picks the lower bunk.:rolleyes:

Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Why would someone hang a dirty pair of socks on a bunk bed when you can wash them clean and hang on a clothes line to dry?

Buen Camino!
Its not even just rude and uncalled for. Its illogical and kinda dumb...lol

Buen Camino!

Anyone who says this is tremendously lucky and must have never walked in the rain, arrived in the albergue with no place to hang clothes because it's still raining outside and was afraid that clothes washed now won't ever dry. So you hang your damp (yes, dirty) clothes on the bunks inside the albergue and hope for the best. Frequently the clothes are still a bit wet in the morning, so you pin them on the outside of your backpack, but of course if it's raining the next day you just have to repeat the cycle again when you arrive at your next albergue.

May all your caminos be dry and all your clothes sweet smelling. :)

If I was lucky enough to get the bottom bunk I would be gracious enough to let the top bunk person have their share of the bunk hanging/drying space!! It would be unacceptably rude to expect otherwise.

i just don't think one needs to inflict dirty smelly socks or otherwise into my general breathing space...I know I know...I haven't been on the Camino yet...lol...I am sure I will come back and have different opinions but I still think thats what drives me to take a tent...my own space...

If I was lucky enough to get the bottom bunk I would be gracious enough to let the top bunk person have their share of the bunk hanging/drying space!! It would be unacceptably rude to expect otherwise.
Agreed!!!!! Buen Camino for all.....

I suppose an argument could be made that others' smelly socks, sweaty shirts and wet underwear hanging on bunks are among the inescapable accouterments and joys of communal albergue living. Another of the many reasons I opted for private rooms more often than not.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Anyone who says this is tremendously lucky and must have never walked in the rain, arrived in the albergue with no place to hang clothes because it's still raining outside and was afraid that clothes washed now won't ever dry. So you hang your damp (yes, dirty) clothes on the bunks inside the albergue and hope for the best. Frequently the clothes are still a bit wet in the morning, so you pin them on the outside of your backpack, but of course if it's raining the next day you just have to repeat the cycle again when you arrive at your next albergue.

May all your caminos be dry and all your clothes sweet smelling. :)

I have done the Camino ( 3 times) and "YES" it has rained and I´ve got soaked to the bone. As well living in Euskal Herria and being a regular hiker we get soaked here as well. That´s just one of life´s little pleasures I guess.
Regarding hang your smelling clothes on someone else´s bunk is down right rude. As I said all you need is to install a clothes line inside. And as I have mentioned above as some carry an electric coil for morning coffee/tea , I carry a very thin and light clothes line which comes in handy for many a situation like in this case. This way nobody has to bother or put up with smelly clothes ....."directly.

Buen Camino!

MendiWalker perhaps you could explain WHERE the top bunk occupier is supposed to hang their clothes line?

MendiWalker perhaps you could explain WHERE the top bunk occupier is supposed to hang their clothes line?

That´s easy peasy lemon squeezy......... if the clothes are dry in your backpack but if your clothes are wet on a clothes line like the one I carry. I share my clothes line with all. As they say........ "Sharing is Caring!":)

Hope that answers your question.

Buen Camino!

Outside. Which is where bottom-bunk-occupiers hang theirs. With this clothesline or something similar.
The intention of my original post was to poke fun at "staking claim" and how nonsensical some of these discussions get.
As Laurie pointed out, wet clothes hang outside on a line and then pinned to one's backpack to dry the next walking day.
Occasionally, when it rains all night, they can hang from the bottom bunk or elsewhere inside. Where they infringe on others space, just ask.

Attachments

• clothesline.jpg
    clothesline.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 24
If the bunks are lined up side by side there should be room between the bunkbeds from set to set...so from top bunk to top bunk...everyone string their own line to the left or right...you could have lots of room....if you do it by the head of the beds...its closer to the wall (based on how I have seen hostels line them up) and no one has to walk around or have anything hanging from the bunks.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back