• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Armenteira to Vilanova de Arousa via Cambados. Is it allowed?

MaxHelado

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués via Variante Espiritual 2022
I would like to walk from Armenteira to Vilanova de Arousa via Cambados rather than via Pontearnelas.
The route from Cambados into Vilanova tracks the coastline and that attracts me but I suspect I would be deviating from the "official" route.
Am I allowed to vary my route in this way and still claim my Compostela?
Has any one chosen to take the Cambados variante of the Variante?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As long as you walk, collect 2 stamps a day in the last 100km, and generally follow the route, you qualify for a Compostela.

As long as you walk, collect 2 stamps a day in the last 100km, and generally follow the route, you qualify for a Compostela.
Thank you, Vacajoe. That's reassuring to hear.
I know the Compostela isn't everything but it would be a great shame to miss it out of ignorance as opposed to choice.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The official route is very nice that day. Granted, the Stone and Water Route at the beginning of the stage is so picturesque that the rest of the day pales a bit in comparison but it’s pretty nice nevertheless. There’s some seaside in Combarro the day before if you want to get a fix.

Personally, I tend to think making your own route just to be on the coast is more trouble than it’s worth.

(I probably don’t care for the coast as much as the average person so take that into account!)

The official route is very nice that day. Granted, the Stone and Water Route at the beginning of the stage is so picturesque that the rest of the day pales a bit in comparison but it’s pretty nice nevertheless. There’s some seaside in Combarro the day before if you want to get a fix.

Personally, I tend to think making your own route just to be on the coast is more trouble than it’s worth.

(I probably don’t care for the coast as much as the average person so take that into account!)
Thanks, Jungle Boy. I appreciate your comments. All input is helpful.
How much trouble is it to switch routes? Isn't it simply a matter of finding a route on AllTrails or Wikilocs?
(This will be my first Camino so my question is genuine not rhetorical!)

Thanks, Jungle Boy. I appreciate your comments. All input is helpful.
How much trouble is it to switch routes? Isn't it simply a matter of finding a route on AllTrails or Wikilocs?
(This will be my first Camino so my question is genuine not rhetorical!)
I’ve done a few off-Camino variants and found that there are innumerable paths, side roads, and sometimes even shortcuts in the European countryside. The Spiritual Variant itself is one that veers from the “traditional” waymarked route only to rejoin it later. Using a smartphone mapping app (maps.me or mapy.cz), it’s easy to plot alternative side trips or routes to sites that do not lie directly on the marked Camino rather than hoping that someone else has walked and uploaded it to Wikilocs/AllTrails.

Once you identify a path, though, I encourage you to use Google street view to check out whether your identified route is pedestrian-friendly.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would like to walk from Armenteira to Vilanova de Arousa via Cambados rather than via Pontearnelas.
The route from Cambados into Vilanova tracks the coastline and that attracts me but I suspect I would be deviating from the "official" route.
Am I allowed to vary my route in this way and still claim my Compostela?
Has any one chosen to take the Cambados variante of the Variante?
Hi! In the end did you walk from Cambados to Vilanova? And did you get the compostela? Cambados and the walk along the coast is part of the Ruta Padre Sarmiento. Very interested to know more about your walk. Greetings!

I'm curious if you did the variant to Cambados. I am thinking the exact same route for our upcoming Sept Camino. Please let me know how it went.

I regret to report that I can't really help you!
In 2022 we decided to walk the "official" route and did not walk through Cambados. We (of course) got our Compostelas.
Last year we walked it again and this time we walked through Cambados, where we stayed, and then on to Vilanova but we did not claim our Compostelas as we felt no need to do so.
We loved Cambados. It is very worthwhile to make the effort to go there. And I believe that provided you have walked the last 100k you should qualify for a Compostela. But I have no hard evidence or experience to support that view. I can tell you that the hotels and bars in Cambados are happy to provide you with stamps for your Credencia. They certainly seem to think that you are walking the road to Santiago.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm curious if you did the variant to Cambados. I am thinking the exact same route for our upcoming Sept Camino. Please let me know how it went.
I am from Ponte Arnelas and I live in Cambados, so I know the area perfectly. When you pass the town of Barrantes, you will come to a bridge over the Umia River and that is where you will have to decide: If you take the dirt road to the right before crossing the bridge, you will walk along the river towards Ponte Arnelas and if you cross the bridge and you follow the dirt road to the left next to the river you will go towards Cambados. There are those who cross the bridge and continue straight along the road, but I recommend going left next to the river since you avoid cars and the road is prettier.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back