• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arrest and detention of a man and a woman for theft from albergues

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What is the macro-carcel? I've just goggled and responses were all in Spanish.

Carcel is jail/cell and macro is just macro, small, tiny (same same but different as micro) ;)

Ah - not quite. When talking about size, macro = big, not small. It has slightly different usage in computing, referring e.g. to a small piece of software. But in this context it means big or large-scale, as in macroeconomics. So "macro-carcel" = big jail. Which hopefully is where these two "entrepreneurs" have gone! ;):)

Ah - not quite. When talking about size, macro = big, not small. It has slightly different usage in computing, referring e.g. to a small piece of software. But in this context it means big or large-scale, as in macroeconomics. So "macro-carcel" = big jail. Which hopefully is where these two "entrepreneurs" have gone! ;):)
You are quite right. It was my self mind-trick as a professional in film and TV. Macro lenses goes IN and makes small things big (on the screen) but in my understanding/perception they still capture "small" things ;)

Simple:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/macro

Thanks for correcting me!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Apparently there is a macro-carcel in Galicia and they are thinking of building another.

A Spanish news website has reported that a man and a woman have been arrested and provisionally detained in prison for a series of at least 24 thefts from albergues on the Camino Frances, Portugues, Ingles and Finisterre routes.

https://www.cope.es/actualidad/espa...r-menos-robos-camino-santiago-20181007_267562

I am glad they have finally been caught. My group were hit in Redondela. Cash taken from several people in the hostel. It was very professional. To add insult to injury they took all our breakfast supplies from the fridge as well! Jill

I'm no linguist but context is all. For native English speakers the concept of macro-carcel might be best translated as " on remand" or remanded to prison pending trial. A circumstance in which the judiciary are convinced by argument of the prosecuting authority that the accused may either abscond or continue to offend. A further interpretation may be the equivalent of a Bail Hostel where individuals can be remanded under severe restrictions of liberty - curfew, registration etc- but not actually subject to conviction and sentence.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back