• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arrest on suspicion of theft at Ponferrada

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When walking the Camino in 2014, we were surprised that no one ever reported any electronics stolen as people left electronic junk out recharging all night.

But clothes went missing all of the time. At one albergue someone stole my underwear from the communal clothes line and another guys pants and another guys jacket. At another albergue ALL clothes left on the line after dark disappeared. And of course, the early risers were constantly cleaning out the communal refrigerators when they left, taking wine, sandwiches, etc that belonged to the people still sleeping.

When walking the Camino in 2014, we were surprised that no one ever reported any electronics stolen as people left electronic junk out recharging all night.

But clothes went missing all of the time. At one albergue someone stole my underwear from the communal clothes line and another guys pants and another guys jacket. At another albergue ALL clothes left on the line after dark disappeared. And of course, the early risers were constantly cleaning out the communal refrigerators when they left, taking wine, sandwiches, etc that belonged to the people still sleeping.
Rings no bells.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
... Mostly such things do happen in municipal albergues, in smaller, private (more expensive) albergues you stand at least a sporting chance :)

"Mostly" the thefts in Ponferrada were from small private (very expensive) camper-vans in the car-park out-side the Albergue. Beware of assumptions. Your possessions are as safe as you choose to make them. Keep your valuables with you at all times. The rest is just stuff - replacement under-pants are available extensively.

"Mostly" the thefts in Ponferrada were from small private (very expensive) camper-vans in the car-park out-side the Albergue. Beware of assumptions. Your possessions are as safe as you choose to make them. Keep your valuables with you at all times. The rest is just stuff - replacement under-pants are available extensively.
Was referring to a general situation, not specifically to Ponferrada. It is a fact though, that thefts are more common in municipal albergues, same as bedbugs. Obviously there's always the exception that confirms the rule. Then again, you are right, valuables should not be left unattended.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I just wanted to put in a good word for Ponferrada! I stayed 2 nights at Albergue Guiana (almost luxurious!) there during Easter week, and saw several processions including Good Friday. Even made a day trip to Las Medulas. It was an interesting and enjoyable 2-day stay that changed my earlier impression acquired from walking through the city.

I was comfortable with my stuff being safe throughout the Camino. Ironically, the only thing I lost was a drybag in a laundry in a private hostel in Muxia. Obvioulsy the thief was not afraid of divine retribution once pasr SDC

I had to buy a couple of pairs recently after I had my clothes stolen from the washing line. The cheapest (€2,50), and actually good quality were from the Chinese bazaar. There seems to be one in every town.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

xin loi, I remember someone stealing all of the clothes off the line in Los Arcos. About the same time frame you are talking about.
I slept outside in a tent. Did not hear a thing. Woke up and many were talking about all the clothes left out over night were gone.

Also, remember the food being stolen at the same A'berg in Los Arco.

Was referring to a general situation, not specifically to Ponferrada. It is a fact though, that thefts are more common in municipal albergues, same as bedbugs. Obviously there's always the exception that confirms the rule. Then again, you are right, valuables should not be left unattended.

I have used public and parish albergues from Pamplona to Santiago, the only private ones were in Hospital de Orbigo (delightful place) and Santiago de Compostela. I must admit that I only care for such things in the largest albergues (as Ponferrada's) where you can't 'control' everybody. I've left my phone charging while I went to buy food many times and never had a problem.

Lucky? May be. I believe in pilgrims and I believe that it's easier getting help than being stolen.

As for clothes, I think that, maybe, people make mistakes and takes items thinking they are taking theirs. Some mornings I needed an extra time to recognise my own shoes amongst others.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.