• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arrival/Departure Airport?

CowboyJoe

Time of past OR future Camino
I'm hitting the Camino trail in late May/early June as soon as HS track season is over. Any advice on what airport to fly into/out of would be most appreciated. Thinking of flying into Paris and departing out of Madrid--and taking the train to/from those airports. Another option is returning via Lisbon as I've always wanted to see Portugal. Any veteran Camino experiences would be greatly appreciated. Coming from the States—prefer departing USA from DFW. Gracias!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome Joe!
I am walking the Francés and will be starting in Saint Jean (in two days) so my choice was to fly into Pamplona (SLC/DFW/Madrid/Pamplona) in Pamplona I will be picked up by Pensión Corazón Puro and taken to their home for dinner then breakfast and they will transport me the next morning to Saint Jean Pied de Port. I fly home from Santiago de Compostela.

http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html

Good luck with your decision and Buen Camino!

Mike,

Today you must be so very excited and happy! Soon you will be on your way at last. A stop at Corazon Puro will be an early treat. Do take it easy at first as you ease into the many pleasures of your camino. I look forward to reading future posts filled with all your new finds.

Buen camino and, as always, Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm hitting the Camino trail in late May/early June as soon as HS track season is over. Any advice on what airport to fly into/out of would be most appreciated. Thinking of flying into Paris and departing out of Madrid--and taking the train to/from those airports. Another option is returning via Lisbon as I've always wanted to see Portugal. Any veteran Camino experiences would be greatly appreciated. Coming from the States—prefer departing USA from DFW. Gracias!

SNCF operates trains from CDG, Gare Montparnasse, Gare d'Austerlitz, and TGV Massy to Bayonne. SNCF TER operates trains from Bayonne to Cambo les Bains and buses to SJPdP. (assuming you are starting in SJPdP)

Renfe operates trains from Santiago to Madrid Chamartin.

Renfe operates trains from Santiago to Vigo and Vigo to Valenca.

CP and Renfe operate trains from Vigo to Porto.

CP operates trains from Valenca and Porto to Lisboa.

Paris CDG and Orly airports
http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/

Madrid airport
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Madrid-Barajas/en/

Lisboa airport
http://www.ana.pt/en-US/Aeroportos/lisboa/Lisboa/Pages/HomeLisboa.aspx

SNCF
http://www.sncf.com/

Renfe
http://www.renfe.com/

CP
http://www.cp.pt/passageiros/pt

Hi, Joe,
Welcome to the forum. Flying into Paris and out of Madrid is a good plan, IMO. I always fly in and out of Madrid, but understand that many people like to get to SJPP from Paris rather than from Spain. If your thought about flying into Paris is just based on convenience, I think that getting to SJPP is about the same whether you come at from the Paris and the north or Madrid and the south. Madrid - Pamplona -SJPP is just not that complicated (especially if you are walking during the months that ALSA has its bus from Pamplona to SJPP), but some people don't like the idea of taking a bus and seeing essentially the same route that they are going to be walking on over the next few days.

And I would also throw out the suggestion that you investigate the cost of adding on a Madrid-Pamplona or Paris-Bayonne (??) (on the way into Spain/France) and a Santiago-Madrid segment on the way out. This kind of ticket (open jaw) can be priced out online using the "multi-city" option on many websites. Unless you affirmatively want to stay in Madrid for some visiting, it is so much easier to get on the plane at 9:15, arrive in Madrid an hour or so later, and get on a US-bound aircraft that same day. Otherwise you have to take a train or bus the day before, spend a night in Madrid, and get out to the airport the next morning. If you book it through on one ticket (Santiago-DFW) you don't have to worry about missed connections, because it will be their problem, not yours. That is not the case for people who for instance get a Ryan Air flight into Madrid in the morning of their US flight. If their Ryan Air flight is late and they miss the connection, tough luck. I met a woman this year in Barajas, not a pilgrim, but someone who had done just this -- she got a separate ticket to Madrid, missed her return trip to the US and had to purchase a new one way ticket home. It set her back more than $1500. She was not happy.

Since you'll be going from DFW, you can easily get American or Iberia into Spain, so that adding on the internal flights would keep your ticket within the same One World alliance system.

Buen camino, Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Laurie, Great advice! Thank you so much for taking the time to write and to share your knowledge with me. Makes me think, "Why didn't I think of that?" since I travel so much in my work--2 million air miles on AA alone!!!!
Sure appreciate your excellent advice!! Now, do you have a remedy for Plantar Fasciitis?????

Joe
I live in Dallas and flew out of DFW last year on American Airlines miles. Flew to Bordeaux France via London and then took the train rest of the way into St. Jean. I'm sure that there are quicker ways, but I wanted to see the countryside via train as well. Are you from Texas? Buen Camino

Joe:

Unless you want to explore one of these other great European cities (ie: London, Dublin, Paris, Barcelona, Lisbon etc. etc. etc.), Madrid, imo, is the best entry and exit point for the Camino.

Ultreya,
Joe

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Joe
I live in Dallas and flew out of DFW last year on American Airlines miles. Flew to Bordeaux France via London and then took the train rest of the way into St. Jean. I'm sure that there are quicker ways, but I wanted to see the countryside via train as well. Are you from Texas? Buen Camino
Daniel--Close: Oklahoma!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back