• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arrive Biarritz at 16:15. Can I make it to SJPdP that night?

renaissancerebecca

Time of past OR future Camino
CF x 5
CPort x 2
ViaPod x2
CamInv x 1
Hospi x 4
Hello all -
My flight arrives into Biarritz at 16:15 on May 10. Will I have enough time to get to SJPdP that night?

From the research I've done it looks like the bus to Bayone from Biarritz leaves every half-hour and takes about 30 min. Then, it seems that the last train from Bayonne to St. Jean that day is at 18:10. It arrives at 19:36.

Experienced pilgrims - do you think this is doable? And since I'm arriving so late, should I make a reservation ahead of time at an auberge in SJPdP?

Thanks for your help!
-Rebeca

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Bus timetable http://www.chronoplus.eu/ftp/FR_lignes/ ... igne14.pdf

2 possible buses: 16:51 from aeroport arrives 17:25 and 17:21 arrives 17:55

All depends on your actual flight disembarkation time, baggage collection and immigration times. Should be OK with last bus listed. Still time to buy a ticket at the station.

No stress if you take a taxi - it is 10 km between the airport in Biarritz and Gare de Bayonne.
Maybe share a taxi with other pilgrims you meet at the airport.
buen camino
annie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Rebeca

Yes. If your flight is on time you should be absolutely fine. It's a small airport so it shouldn't take long to get through. Although it's called Biarritz airport it serves Bayonne just as well. The bus goes almost to the door of the station. You'll probably have time for a coffee before the train! If you're delayed slightly a taxi from the airport shouldn't be too expensive and there will be others in the same situation.

I started slightly earlier than you last year (staying in SJPP on 18th April) and there was no problem with accommodation. The pilgrim office is ready for the train's arrival and will advise. If you have a preference for a particular place, then booking would be advisable. The L'esprit du Chemin albergue is very popular, although (and possibly because :D ) I've not stayed there myself, and would need to be booked.

Buen Camino!

Hi Rebeca
no worries-the bus stop, in fact the only bus stop is just left of the departure door,from memory the taxi is 25 euro the bus 4 euro-there will be other pilgrims-engage in conversation,Bayonna train station is in a large square,the bus stops at the bottom edge-station at sjpp is 10 mins walk uphill to the old town and pilgrim office-they will fix you up with one of the many Alburgues there,in fact they themselves offer refuge I think.
the l'espirit is indeed a great option but they give president to people who book including dinner at 8pm.
when I first did this journey like you I was worried where I would sleep for the night so much so that I booked b and b in Bayonna-sjpp and Orisson and spent 100 euro's before I had even walked 10km. I soon learned there is always a bed on the Camino and finding them was the least of my problems.
oh the bus from the airport just goes back and forth between Biarritz and Bayonne it may say Bayonne on the front but only 1 in 3 is going there first-don't do what I did and get on the wrong one.
have a great Camino
Ian

Thank you to all for your responses! I feel much better about getting in to SJPdP and getting started on my Camino:)

(FYI: I'll go through immigration when I arrive in Paris, so I don't have to worry about that in Biarritz... Would be nice to find other pilgrims coming on the same flight. Will look into that ahead of time, and also keep my eye out when I get to Biarritz.)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Rebeca,have seen your message that you are making the trip to Santiago,I myself did the Camino in 2010,and I am hoping to return for a second time in 2013,and am planing the same way as yourself to SDPDP V Biarritz--Bayonna,I hope you have a nice time,doing the Camino is life changing ,enjoy Buen Camino,,,John

Hi Rebeca.
Just logged in to the forum and saw your question. I don't guess I ever looked into flying into Bayonne/Biarritz and am planning on taking the fast train from Paris. It's been almost 3 months since my initial decision to walk The Camino and booking my flight into Paris. I've been so busy with other preparations that I don't even know how much that train ride is going to cost me and if memory serves me correctly...I can just make it since it too is located in the CDG airport. May I ask you how much your flight from Paris into Biarritz is going to be? Perhaps I need to re-think my "plan". On another note or in addition...I've already booked a hotel in Bayonne (no cancellation).

Thanks,
Andrea

Hi everyone,

I hv booked a ticket to from Singapore - Paris CDG and will arrive on May 6, at 07.55. And planning to book Easy Jet to arrive at Biarritz at 15.20 on the same day. As what I understand, I need to change terminal in Paris, will I go through the immigration and clear everything in Paris (which I prefer due to 6 hours waiting for flight to Biarritz) or only can do it in Biarrtiz?

I'm an Indonesian passport holder (eventually need Schengen Visa), I guess it may take some time to pass and clear out the immigration process. Just wanna make sure if I'm able to arrive at SJPP quite earlier to get the credential, enough rest, so can start walking in the following day.

Thanks very much for help,
Martha

Hello Martha,

Welcome to the Forum!

You will go through immigration and customs upon arrival at CdG airport in Paris which is your entry point into France and Europe.
To get to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port from Biarritz you need to take the bus to the railroad station in Bayonne and then a TER train to Saint-Jean. On Sunday May 6 the last TER train, number 67329 , leaves at 21:09 arriving at 22:27. In Saint-Jean the office for the Amies du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de Citadelle usually stays open for the arrival of the last train. They can provide you with a Credential and lodging assistance. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09

Buen Camino,

Margaret

Hi,
in 2010 I found a link on the forum to a private taxi service direct to St.Jean. My Ryanair flight arrived in Biarritz 30mins after the last train left for St.Jean. On inquiring by e-mail before I left Dublin they told me that their taxi meeting that flight was was already full.They told me they would return to pick me up on a second trip and suggested if I found more pilgrims needing transport I could share the cost.If not, I would have to pay the full amount. I went over to the queue of people waiting for the bus to Bayonne and a few open minded Caminates shared my taxi. It cost me less than €20 to St. Jean and I got my sella that night and off I went early the next morning picking up hot quiche out of the oven from little bakery on the right. I also found my first night's accomodation on the forum here, it was beside the archway right on the Camino.
It was my third time travelling alone on the Camino and now I trust myself to trust when to go with the flow and when to be prudent. When a Spanish woman asked me was I alone I found myself answering in Spanish which I don't speak " Solo, non, siempre con Cristo". I remember thinking afterwards where the hell(or heaven!) did that come from? The Camino has enriched my life beyond measure so buen Camino my friend and enjoy!
Liz

Hi Liz,

Here in Ireland there is an old saying "An rud is giorra an croi is giorra on bheal." The thing that is nearest the heart is nearest the mouth. So that is where 'siempre con Cristo' most probably came from.

Buen Camino,
Lydia

I'm also arriving in Biarritz May 10th at 15:05 from London Stansted and will take the 18:10 train from Bayonne to SJPdP. Haven't decided whether to book hotel room in SJPdP or take a chance on the albergue. My greatest concern is whether I can make the connection from Heathrow to London Stansted in time for my 12:15 Ryanair flight to Biarritz. My flight arrives at Heathrow from the States at 0740.
It is funny that my greatest anxiety is not the Camino, but making all of the connections to get there.

Rickstar,

I can really empathise with you feeling around getting to the Camino. This year will be my sixth time to leave home to go on the Camino aand I am feeling anxious that I will not make my connections, even though I have only one flight. Once I arrive at my first Albergue it is like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

I would encourage first timers to plan that first journey carefully and even spend a little extra in order to make it as stress-less as possible.

Buen Camino to all who are starting off this month

Lydia

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
To all,
Thanks again for all your help. Rick

Thanks Margaret for help, so I'm expecting to arrive at SJPP quite earlier. However, due to the long journey to get into SJPP incl all those connections (around 32 hours), still considering if I will start to walk on the following day or better to have one day rest and just seeing the town. I'm fit but want to start it with fresh condition.

I'll be travelling alone and this will be my first time doing backpacker. Quite nervous mostly due to I don't know Spanish at all (hope still can learn some basic simple conversation). Just find out about this Camino on last December accidently (but I believe nothing coincidence), and how much I want to do it, searching for all of the info, manage leave from office, etc.

Hope it will be a blessed journey for all of us.

Regards,
Martha

Hi Martha,

my experience is (and I heard it from others, too) that it is not easy to REST and RELAX while in SJPP and you are about to start and you see all the other pilgrims you just met start walking. SJPP is a nice little village and you can easily spend a couple of hours sightseeing.

But that is my opinion.

That sais I would start walking some short days in the beginning of the camino and rest in the evenings.

annie

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
we r planning to arrive in Biarritz around 1215 and try to make conncections this coming Monday to SJPdP, however we r airline employees coming from san Diego, so on standby. I havent booked any accomodations since we really dont know what flt/day we will arrive, but it sounds like SJPdP is getting sold out on 8/21....should we just stay in Biarritz? Bayonne? or should we take train after all this traveling approx 20 hrs, and hope St James is looking out for us, and accomdations will be available? I imagine ST Jean is small, should we go to TI or the pilgrim office when we arrive for assistance in booking a room? any suggestions welcome, Ciao

senora1 said:
I imagine ST Jean is small, should we go to TI or the pilgrim office when we arrive for assistance in booking a room? any suggestions welcome, Ciao

Senora,

For your convenience the current timetable for TER line 62 trains from Bayonne to SJPdP is attached below.

When you do arrive at SJPP the pilgrims' office ie, the Amies du Chemin de Saint Jacques is on the hill at 39 rue de la Citadelle. In season the pilgrims office is open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. They can provide you with a Credential and lodging assistance. Their volunteers help run the albergue at 55 rue de la Citadelle. Recently renovated this is a fine place to stay, but they do NOT take reservations. If their albergue is full they will help you find other lodgings when you are on site.

From 23 July 2012 to 8 December the TER line 62 departure schedule leaves Bayonne at the following times.
Bayonne/Baiona
07.25/lundi, NON fetes/Monday, NOT holidays/du 27 août, aussi le 8 nov/from 27 August also 8 Nov
07.54/mardi a vendredi/Tuesday to Friday, NOT holidays/du 28 août, ne circule pas le 8 nov/ from 28 August NOT 8 Nov
07.54/lundi a vendredi, NON fetes/Monday to Friday, NOT holidays/jusqu’au 24 août/ until 24 August
09.41/samedi, dimanche, et fetes,/Saturday, Sunday and holidays
11.41/lundi a vendredi, NON fetes/Monday to Friday, NOT holidays
13.47/samedi, dimanche, et fetes/Saturday, Sunday and holidays/jusqu’au 26 août/until 26 August
14.07 samedi, dimanche, et fetes/Saturday, Sunday and holidays/partir du 1er sept./starting 1 Sept.
15.25/dimanche et fetes/Sunday and holidays/jusqu’au 26 août/until 26 August
15.37/lundi a vendredi, NON fetes/Monday to Friday, NOT holidays/partir du 27 août/from 27 August
15.37/lundi a samedi, NON fetes/Monday to Saturday, NOT holidays/jusqu’au 25 août/until 25 August
15.47/samedi, dimanche, et fetes/Saturday, Sunday and holidays/partir du 1er sept./starting 1 Sept.
18.41/lundi a vendredi, NON fetes/Monday to Friday, NOT holidays/partir du 27 août/from 27 August
19.36/tous les jours et fetes/every day and holidays/jusqu’au 26 août/until 26 August
19.36/samedi, dimanche, et fetes/Saturday, Sunday and holidays/partir du 1er sept./starting 1 Sept.
20.41/vendredi, in autocar/Friday in bus/partir du 31 août, circule aussi le 31 oct/from 31 August, also31 October

All trains do NOT go every day.

Bon Voyage and Buen Camino,

Margaret

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back