• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arrive in Madrid or Paris?

Joodle

Time of past OR future Camino
CF May 10th- June 21st 2016
VDLP March-April 2017
CF coming up April-May
Can anyone tell me if it's worth it to fly into Paris and take the train down to Bayonne? Is the train trip beautiful? I like the idea of traveling through the french countryside. I will be departing from Seattle, WA
There is also the choice of traveling to Pamplona by train from Madrid and then busing over to SJPJ? opinions? Mostly, is the long train trip from Paris worth doing?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Partly depends on where you want to start from. People starting in St Jean usually come from Paris. If you want to start in Roncevalles than Madrid to Pamplona and up is easier. It's actually a little complicated to get from Madrid to St Jean, as it requires trains and a couple buses (at least in winter).

Partly depends on where you want to start from. People starting in St Jean usually come from Paris. If you want to start in Roncevalles than Madrid to Pamplona and up is easier. It's actually a little complicated to get from Madrid to St Jean, as it requires trains and a couple buses (at least in winter).
Thanks for the info. The walk doesn't scare me, getting there does!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Joodle, I flew into Barcelona (I should have flown into Madrid). I spent two days on Barcelona, then took the train to Pamplona. People at the hostel were a big help. At the train station, I saw a young couple with backpacks. Of course, they were doing the Camino. We took the train together. When we arrived at Pamplona, I suggested we take a taxi. There were two other people there and they asked if they could join us. So five of us shared a taxi. They only wanted to go to Roncesvalles and the taxi driver said he'd take me the rest of the way for 45 euros. I stayed with my group and the next morning I took the bus to St. Jean at about 11 am. The Pilgrim office helped me with reservations. I ended up staying in Roncesvalles for two separate nights. That was an experience in itself because I ended up in the dungeon. I didn't realize they had a penthouse. Get there early in the day to get the penthouse.
I went alone, with no real plan - just to get to St. Jean. I played everything by ear. I have no regrets because everything was an adventure. I left Central America on 15 September and flew home on 30 October. I didn't carry my backpack over the Pyrenees because of all the comments on this site, saying how difficult it was. After I got to the top, I realized I could have done it. But, I'm just as happy I didn't because it was so enjoyable. I hope your Camino is as wonderful as mine was. Bonnie

I travel from Portland, Oregon every year since 2006.
I've done it both ways.
My preference is to fly into Madrid then bus to Pamplona to take a day or two rest and adjust to the time change.
From Pamplona it is an easy bus or taxi ride to SJPP - you can share with other pilgrims or go it alone.
You pay by the taxi, not by the person.
THEN, when you start walking, you can bypass Pamplona because you've seen it already.
This means you can walk "between the waves" of pilgrims, most of whom are going to be following the Brierley stages, and you'll have less of a problem finding lodging, in my experience.

The trip via Paris is nice if you'd like to see Paris.
It is much more expensive than Spain, but the Louvre is awesome.
Give yourself a few days there and watch your belongings as the pickpockets are crazy-bad there!
The train trip... to me it's so fast you really don't see much, but I prefer Spanish Mercedez Benz buses to the train any day!

I have traveled from Seattle to SJPP both ways. I strongly recommend flying into Paris instead of Madrid for two reasons.

First, it's quicker. Why? There are no non-stop flights from Seattle to Madrid. So, if you fly into Madrid, you will be forced to change planes somewhere. Atlanta, JFK, Amersterdam, Frankfurt or London. This chews up time for a couple of reasons. First, Seattle to Paris non-stop on Delta is only 9.5 hours because the plane takes the "polar route" over Greenland. If fly from Seattle to Madrid through Atlanta the two flights take longer because of the geography involved. But, if you fly into Paris, you can be on a high speed train onto your way to Bayonne before someone else has navigated two airports on their way to Madrid.

The second reason I recommend Paris is sentimental. If you fly into Madrid, your first steps in Spain will be at the airport. If you fly into Paris, your first steps in Spain will be high up in the Pyrenees. Nothing beats that feeling.

I realize that people who live in other parts of the US might recommend flying into Madrid (or Barcelona) but most of these people are basing their recommendations on what's best for their particular geographical starting point. Starting from Seattle presents a somewhat unique set of circumstances and flying into Paris is quicker. And more romantic on day two when you step into Spain high up in the Pyrenees.

Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Can anyone tell me if it's worth it to fly into Paris and take the train down to Bayonne? Is the train trip beautiful? I like the idea of traveling through the french countryside. I will be departing from Seattle, WA
There is also the choice of traveling to Pamplona by train from Madrid and then busing over to SJPJ? opinions? Mostly, is the long train trip from Paris worth doing?
I like Madrid. Yes I have to take a plane to LAX then to Denver or Dallas but you get to Madrid early the next day. At Barauas Airport you can catch the subway at terminal 4 to the the Atocha train station where you can catch the express train to Pamplona, check into accommodations and have time to see the city. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

We are flying into Paris Charles de Gaul and catching the train from the airport to Bayonne the same day ,then train to SJPDP the next day ,we plan on taking Few days to get to SJPDP to get over jet lag.We can get direct flights to Paris with a stop in Korea ,whereas Madrid was 3 stops and nearly 40 hours to get there

Flying into Paris is a great idea, beautiful city lots to do and see. Pop into the cathedral for a sello and don't forget nearby Tour San Jacques! The kiosok guy around the side also has a sello. You w-i-l-l arrive in Santiago but then what? Travel back across half of Europe, over a thousand miles, for a plane home? Madrid hands down.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm starting in SJPdP and chose to fly into Paris mostly because I could get a non-stop flight from Montreal, Canada. After months spent researching every last gram that went into my backpack, I was not about to take a chance on anything getting lost in transit. I arranged my return flight from Madrid, which is far more convenient. Buen Camino!

Factors:

Cost.

Time of travel; as pointed out some routes take a lot of time.

Convenience; when will you arrive and will you stop there or continue travelling.

An important thing to consider is how you will travel home from Santiago.

SJPdP is about equally far transport wise from Madrid, Paris, London, Bilbao, and Barcelona. It will take a full day to travel and, if you start later in the day may require overnight in Pamplona or Bayonne.

Santiago is well connected to Madrid, London, Barcelona. There are some connections to Paris and Bilbao depending on time of year.

I went YVR to London Heathrow, bus to Stansted where I overnighted, Stansted to Biarritz, local bus to Gare Bayonne, and train to SJPdP. I spent an extra day in SJPdP to try to get over jet lag. Return trip was train from Santiago to Madrid (where I was planning to spend some time), plane to London Gatwick and home from Heathrow. I could have flown from Santiago to London.

Another factor to consider is the possibility for injury. A lot of people end their camino short of Santiago due to overuse injuries to feet and legs. What will you do in that eventuality?

Joodle,
We are also flying from Seattle to Paris. We will stay at the Paris airport the first night (get in about 2 p.m. on Iceland Air). Then take the train to Bayonne and on to SJPP the next day so we can get an early start on our third day. I think it will help with the jet lag. We booked an inexpensive flight on Vueling for the return flight to Paris as the return on the train appears complicated.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Flying into Paris is a great idea, beautiful city lots to do and see. Pop into the cathedral for a sello and don't forget nearby Tour San Jacques! The kiosok guy around the side also has a sello. You w-i-l-l arrive in Santiago but then what? Travel back across half of Europe, over a thousand miles, for a plane home? Madrid hands down.[/QUOTE

We have booked flight from Santiago to Paris for $100 NZ ,cheaper than the train from Paris to Bayonne

I flew into Madrid, train to Pamplona, and the owner of an albergue (Curozon Puro) in Bizkaretta picked me up by private car and also drove me to St. Jean the next morning. Very simple connections, and I think I paid 43 E for the nights stay dinner, breakfast and transportation cost.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Joodle,
We are also flying from Seattle to Paris. We will stay at the Paris airport the first night (get in about 2 p.m. on Iceland Air). Then take the train to Bayonne and on to SJPP the next day so we can get an early start on our third day. I think it will help with the jet lag. We booked an inexpensive flight on Vueling for the return flight to Paris as the return on the train appears complicated.
Thanks. It's so hard to decide. I hate the getting there part. I want to click my ruby slippers and end up in SJPP.:)

We flew from Northern California to Lourdes, France because we wanted to visit Lourdes before doing the Camino. Then we took the train from Lourdes to Bayonne. It was a great train ride.
For me personally I wanted to start at the beginning of the Camino. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with starting in Roncesvalles or Pamplona. It is a personal choice.
We are going back this year but we will be flying into Paris and taking the train into Bayonne and from Bayonne into St Jean Pied De Port.

Options flying in from Houston, starting my walk in Valenca, any other suggestions than Porto or Vigo?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You will see didlysqwat on the train out of Paris as, like most train railways, the TGV runs between nothing to the right or the left. No idillic bucolic scenary. Just a good time to nap and get over jetlag.

From the Madrid airport you can take an elevator a few stories down and hop on a bus to Pamplona. Book ahead of time and it could cost you only a few €.

Taxi, Albergue person at Corazon Puro, or bus in high season will take you fromPamplona to sjpp.

I notice the bike helmet. If taking a Bike Paris Bayonne is in my opinion the best.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I notice the bike helmet. If taking a Bike Paris Bayonne is in my opinion the best.
I'll be walking. I can march up the side of a mountain, but when I'm on my bike, I can feel the slightest incline!! I walk up much better than bike up. My speed would be biking across the Netherlands:)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I flew into Madrid, train to Pamplona, and the owner of an albergue (Corazon Puro) in Bizkaretta picked me up by private car and also drove me to St. Jean the next morning. Very simple connections, and I think I paid 43 E for the nights stay dinner, breakfast and transportation cost.

We (also) stayed at Albergue (Corazon Puro).... the only way to go!

We flew into Barcelona. Took the train (subway) to the Train Station. A train to Pamplona.
Stayed a night. (Jet-Lag recovery)
In the afternoon, he picked us up in Pamplona, and took us to his Albergue.
The next morning he dropped us at the French Boarder, and we walked back (with very light packs).
We stayed a second night. Great food.
In the morning, we walked (full packs) to Pamplona.

albergue (Corazon Puro)
albergue (Corazon Puro)

Joodle,

I have an update. Janet, my beautiful wife, informed me that she has booked us on EasyJet from CDG to Bairritz the morning after we arrive in Paris. The cost, including checked bag fee, was better than the train and we will arrive in Bairritz in the morning then take a taxi to SJPP.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The trip via Paris is nice if you'd like to see Paris.
It is much more expensive than Spain, but the Louvre is awesome.
xxx
The train trip... to me it's so fast you really don't see much, but I prefer Spanish Mercedez Benz buses to the train any day!

Yeah, the TGV runs at the bottom of its own v-shaped canal; nothing much to see. I agree with the Spanish Mercedez.

Ultreia!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back