• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arrive Lisbon Oct 7th, train to Porto?

uncletim

Time of past OR future Camino
May '19, Oct 19
My flight arrives Lisbon at 10:15 on Monday 7th, I want to train to Porto and start walking early next morning.

Should I go to the Cathedral in Lisbon to get credentials? Porto Cathedral will not be open early on the 8th.

Looks like I might be able to get an afternoon train from Estacao Oriente station and make Porto before the Cathedral closes?

thanks for any ideas!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hmm. Two hours to clear Immigration and Baggage and get to Oriente gets you on the 12:09 to Vila Nova. A 30 minute walk gets you to the Cathedral by about 17:30. The Cathedral is open till 19:00 which gives you a margin of comfort unless you miss the 12:09 'cos its nearly 2 hours to the next connection. Though of course that would give you 2 hours to get to Lisbon Cathedral which is open all day until 19:00. Of course the visit to the Cathedral means you might miss the 14:09 to Porto but.... Or you could just buy a Credencial from Ivar here on the forum ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
How quickly could I get credential? leave Sunday in 5 days

no baggage, just carry on of course.

maybe Lisbon Cathedral, getting into Porto later would be fine.

Not sure you care, but in case you were hoping to get the beautiful Via Lusitana official Portuguese credential, the last I heard the Porto Cathedral had not agreed to sell them, only in Lisbon.

And if you do go into Lisbon to get your credential, you would not need to go all the way back out to Oriente, but could get the train from the much closer intown Santa Apolonia station. It's about a 15 minute walk.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-10-01 15.01.51.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-01 15.01.51.png
    1 MB · Views: 4
Lisbon Cathedral makes sense. I did order one DHL, may not come in time.

I see trains from Santa Apolonia station all day into the late evening.

thank you for that!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Not sure you care, but in case you were hoping to get the beautiful Via Lusitana official Portuguese credential, the last I heard the Porto Cathedral had not agreed to sell them, only in Lisbon.

And if you do go into Lisbon to get your credential, you would not need to go all the way back out to Oriente, but could get the train from the much closer intown Santa Apolonia station. It's about a 15 minute walk.
This makes total sense. And as the trains originate at Santa Apolonia, downtown, you're more likely to get the seat you need! Oriente is the second stop in Lisbon. Logical one to go to, if you're coming straight from the airport, but if you need to go downtown to the cathedral for your credencial anyway, Santa Apolonia makes more sense.

Also, in the Santa Apolonia station itself, on the right-hand side as you go through from the main entrance where they sell tickets, down towards the end of the building there's a small but complete Pingo Doce supermarket. You can buy all the snacks, bread, cheese, etc. etc. that you might want for your trip north to Porto right there. The food on the trains is edible, but a picnic is way better and cheaper! (And when I say "small but complete" this really is a complete supermarket. Has its own bakery--this is where you need to meet real Portuguese bread 😊 for the first time!)

Last edited:
You can easily get a bus (Rede Expresso book online simple easy) from Lisbon to Porto, and I got my brand new pilgrim passport at the Porto albergue so you might be able to get it at your first stop.

This makes total sense. And as the trains originate at Santa Apolonia, downtown, you're more likely to get the seat you need! Oriente is the second stop in Lisbon. Logical one to go to, if you're coming straight from the airport, but if you need to go downtown to the cathedral for your credencial anyway, Santa Apolonia makes more sense.

Also, in the Santa Apolonia station itself, on the right-hand side as you go through from the main entrance where they sell tickets, down towards the end of the building there's a small but complete Pingo Doce supermarket. You can buy all the snacks, bread, cheese, etc. etc. that you might want for your trip north to Porto right there. The food on the trains is edible, but a picnic is way better and cheaper! (And when I say "small but complete" this really is a complete supermarket. Has its own bakery--this is where you need to meet real Portuguese bread 😊 for the first time!)

And for anyone with a lot of time to spare, right across the street from the Apolonia station is the Pizzaria Casanova. Very good wood oven pizza, with an outdoor terrace right on the water. Cheap and very good quality!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back