• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pack Review

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67185

The Ranger 35 arrived earlier today and I have had a chance to take a bit of a close look at its set up and configuration.

The pack is a one size fits all package. There is no adjustability to the frame itself. The hipbelt is permanently attached to the pack so it has no ability to move up or down the pack.

The pack bag material is much the same as is used on most of Gossamer Gear's backpacks, which is to say it is a very tough material.

As weighed on my calibrated scale, the pack I received weighs 33.2 ounces, so just an ounce over two pounds/ 907 gm.

The main bag opens by a zipper that opens to the half way point down the bag on each side. Although it doesn't travel the entire length of the bag, for those who prefer a panel loading configuration, the entire main bag is easily visualized with the zipper open and it is very easy to reach into the bottom of the bag. This will allow easy placement of gear and clothing and allow every item to be seen and reached. Keep in mind that this is not a tall bag, this is a 35 liter backpack.

As with most backpacks, the main bag by itself is NOT a 35 liter capacity, although it is the majority of what this pack's load carrying will hold. There is also an outer zippered pocket which provides quite a bit of space for carrying things like first-aid items, knives, extra socks, etc. It will easily hold a number of items plus a rain cover.

There is a mesh front pocket which is made out of a tough and stretchy material that expands quite a bit, an which will hold a lot of stuff. There a pockets on the hipbelt and stretchy pocket on each side of the pack near the bottom-front which are sufficient for at least one liter bottles. It seems that they could be easily reached.

The frame is similar to the one used in one of the most comfortable large backpacks I have ever had: a Dana Designs Astralplane. This pack was a huge bag. It used an internal composite frame 'sheet' that was inside an internal pocket at the back of the pack, which was stiff and yet had a good basic contour to the panel. Unlike the 'hoop-style' frames on many internal framed packs, the frame sheet provides no doubt as to it's ability to not only control the floppiness of the bag. And it is highly efficient at transferring the weight to the hip belt.

The Ranger's composite frame sheet is held in a pocket with a velcro closure at the top. It can easily be removed and put back into place. On the back of the pack's exterior there is a great deal of padding for a pack of its size. There is no padding in the middle which creates an airflow tunnel. Additionally, the padding is a resilient (from what I can see) foam covered with a thick open mesh fabric which also would seem to promote a lot of airflow.

That same material and padding is on the hipbelt and shoulder pads.

The shoulder harness felt pretty comfortable without a load, but from experience it will be very adequate depending on the amount of weight carried. The same applies to the hipbelt. I do have some concern about the WIDTH of the padded surfaces being too narrow as it applies to weight distribution, but again, I would need to put increasing load weight into the pack to determine what I felt is an upper weight limit for comfort.

Sizing. As mentioned above, it is a one size fits all. For reference, my backpack sizes usually fall in the Medium or Medium/Large range. My spine length sits at around 19". Unloaded, I was able to get a good fit for the pack. With the shoulder harness lengthened so that the hipbelt had proper placement to be able to wrap around my hipbones, the shoulder harness still sat at the preferred location as it wrapped around my shoulders. So to me, it appears that for those within at least a small to large pack size range and adequate adjustment for fit should be readily doable.

The quality of the sewing seems of high quality. I could not readily see any defects in construction.

I am going to really put a lot of hard wear and tear on the zipper and the other bag fasteners and closures. I know that Gossamer Gear takes great pride in its quality, but I also have seen hardware failures with broken harness and hipbelt buckles with a couple of their packs. Now, those failures were not frequent and were quite a while ago, and Gossamer was very quick to respond to this problem. BUT, to me the buckle and fastener material looks and feels different in a direct comparison I did with my Mariposa. To me the likely explanation is that there is a new plastics formulation allowing for less material to be used and yet remain just as resilient, or even more so. I'll see, and I'll be making some inquiries to Gossamer as well.

I am impressed with the external compression straps and external attachment points for things like microspikes or an ice axe or dangly bits like sandals or wet underwear :). I hate dangly bits on my pack, but I know it is something that Camino users do to help increase the carrying capacity of smaller packs.

There is also an internal sleeve for hydration bladders and opening ports in the bag so that the drinking tube can be placed externally.

I have no immediate plans to take the pack out for a spin under load. I'm not yet up to that. If anyone has a question about the pack that I can answer, I will gladly do so. One caveat, though. Please do not ask me if this would be a good pack for you to use on Camino.... I wouldn't have the foggiest notion if your criteria for things like weight, comfort, or usability is similar to mine. All I can do is to relate what its objective characteristics are like (expected toughness of the material, function and type of frame, adjustability, etc.), and what my subjective feelings and experiences might be using the pack.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have seen this brand and wonder about its inability to be 'fitted' to the user. They are pricey as I recall so I will be interested to see how it works for you on an outing.

I have seen this brand and wonder about its inability to be 'fitted' to the user. They are pricey as I recall so I will be interested to see how it works for you on an outing.

I don't know what you mean by 'fitted' :) It is only the Ranger 35 that I am referring to. The medium and large capacity backpacks are as equally able to be sized to a person as other brands. Fitting is a matter of spine length and size, and in many manufacturer's smaller capacity offerings it is either a one size fits all or a smaller range of sizes offered.

My Gossamer Mariposa is offered in a range of sizes, for example.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dave, would you by any chance be able to post some photos of the backpack? I only find the same catalogue type ones every website I go. Not sure if you can, though, depending on your agreement with Gossamer.

Dave, would you by any chance be able to post some photos of the backpack? I only find the same catalogue type ones every website I go. Not sure if you can, though, depending on your agreement with Gossamer.

I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow and get various angles and with the bag opened and closed. I'll also add a ruler next to the pack to help you to better gauge the size and dimensions.

I don't know what you mean by 'fitted' :) It is only the Ranger 35 that I am referring to. The medium and large capacity backpacks are as equally able to be sized to a person as other brands. Fitting is a matter of spine length and size, and in many manufacturer's smaller capacity offerings it is either a one size fits all or a smaller range of sizes offered.

My Gossamer Mariposa is offered in a range of sizes, for example.
Ok, I found it online and watched their video. It is about the same size as my current pack. I have difficulty with fitting packs because I wear a small (spine length). My current pack is a Columbia brand and it is no longer made, but it fits me great. I bought an Osprey about 2 years ago in my 'size' and have never really liked it so it sits in the gear closet unused. I did finally part with my beloved external frame pack a few years ago when I found the internal frame Columbia. It was a Jansport with an adjustable frame which was made for boy scouts. Was great for me in the backcountry, but not practical for the Camino. We really only have one local store any more in Boise which will help you load and fit a pack. The others have been put out of business by online stores and REI. Although I enjoy REI, I prefer to get things at the local outfitters when possible.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
These are a series of pictures that I took today of various aspects of the Ranger 35. For those interested in this pack, I hope this helps a bit.

1547580567841.png

This is a thick, fat one liter bottle in the side pocket

1547579302077.png

The belt pockets actually can fit up to 4 regular sized Snicker Bars. I used a substitute for the photo :)

1547579355360.png

The padding and covering is thick and airy. It is placed so that large channels also increase airflow
1547579588958.png

1547579613400.png

The hipbelts are also well padded

1547579665531.png

With the top opening unzipped and folded down, you can see the internal zippered pocket on the lid.
1547579785711.png

The 'lid/top' also has a zippered outside pocket which sits above the large mesh pocket on the bag
1547579907464.png

This is the internal 'Frame Sheet' made of composites. It is light and stiff and provides terrific support of the bag and weight transfer to the hipbelt. You can see the pocket that it slides into and secured with velcro. Yes..you could use it to stash money or passport or....
1547580015574.png

Sorry 'bout this pictures quality. This a shot with the pack unzipped and looking inside to the bottom. As you can see, even with the zipper going only halfway down the bag, contents are easily reached and visualized for easy access. On the back of the pack you can see the hydration sleeve which has an elastic band sewn along its top edge.
1547580249253.png

Ok, I found it online and watched their video. It is about the same size as my current pack. I have difficulty with fitting packs because I wear a small (spine length). My current pack is a Columbia brand and it is no longer made, but it fits me great. I bought an Osprey about 2 years ago in my 'size' and have never really liked it so it sits in the gear closet unused. I did finally part with my beloved external frame pack a few years ago when I found the internal frame Columbia. It was a Jansport with an adjustable frame which was made for boy scouts. Was great for me in the backcountry, but not practical for the Camino. We really only have one local store any more in Boise which will help you load and fit a pack. The others have been put out of business by online stores and REI. Although I enjoy REI, I prefer to get things at the local outfitters when possible.

If you have an interest in this pack, which I am assuming since you are posting on the thread and I apologize if such is not the case, my assessment at this point is that the Ranger would fit well on one needing a small frame size. It sounds like you are already familiar with the steps needed for determining what pack size/fit you need, vs how to adjust it once it you put it on, so I won't offer any advice in that regard :)

I agree with you about buying local, and will do so first. But I will not hesitate to shop online either if I cannot find what I want locally; I will not settle for a substitute item -- unless it is a better product which matches or exceeds what I am looking for-- just for the sole purpose of buying local. And depending on time lines and if the store charges extra to do so, I may or may not accept a local stores offer to order the item which they do not have. And given the limitations of product lines my local 'outdoor' shops carry, it is always a safe bet for me to assume they do not have access to what I want.

So, fuel cartridges, maps, water bottles, filters, etc, I will get locally. The big ticket stuff -- tents, sleeping quilts, backpacks, etc -- not so much. :)

VERY useful photos, Dave! Can the hip pockets be reached without taking the backpack off? Some models have them so far back that it is a bit hard! And what about the width of the hip belts?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
VERY useful photos, Dave! Can the hip pockets be reached without taking the backpack off? Some models have them so far back that it is a bit hard! And what about the width of the hip belts?

I tried them out with a variety of 1 liter bottle shapes, and I did no have a hard time reaching them, removing them and putting back.

The width and padding appear adequate, as they wrap over the curve of my hipbones, so that the middle of the pad sits just below the crest. The pads do not sit either on top of the hips or below the hips.

I am a bit dubious of the comfort rating of 'up to 25 pounds'. The Frame Sheet will easily support that amount of weight and transfer it to the hipbelt. It subjectively appears to me that the hipbelt structure and construction, without actually loading the pack with any weight, would be better for loads under 20 pounds.

After I actually put a load into it, I will be able to give a better picture of its load carrying capacity, but 20 pounds is what I am thinking right now. Now, that is my untested guess/assessment just for carrying comfort. The materials and frame and construction of the bag can handle 30 to 40 pounds and not break or sag or deform. It is a tough little bag.

These are a series of pictures that I took today of various aspects of the Ranger 35. For those interested in this pack, I hope this helps a bit.

1547590031649.png
1547580567841-png.50772

This is a thick, fat one liter bottle in the side pocket

1547579302077-png.50763
1547590064575.png

The belt pockets actually can fit up to 4 regular sized Snicker Bars. I used a substitute for the photo :)

1547579355360-png.50764

1547590111042.png

The padding and covering is thick and airy. It is placed so that large channels also increase airflow
1547579588958-png.50765

1547590151265.png

1547579613400-png.50766

1547590171981.png

The hipbelts are also well padded

1547579665531-png.50767
1547590231242.png

With the top opening unzipped and folded down, you can see the internal zippered pocket on the lid.
1547579785711-png.50768

1547590282392.png

The 'lid/top' also has a zippered outside pocket which sits above the large mesh pocket on the bag
1547579907464-png.50769
1547590305469.png

This is the internal 'Frame Sheet' made of composites. It is light and stiff and provides terrific support of the bag and weight transfer to the hipbelt. You can see the pocket that it slides into and secured with velcro. Yes..you could use it to stash money or passport or....
1547580015574-png.50770

1547590328895.png

Sorry 'bout this pictures quality. This a shot with the pack unzipped and looking inside to the bottom. As you can see, even with the zipper going only halfway down the bag, contents are easily reached and visualized for easy access. On the back of the pack you can see the hydration sleeve which has an elastic band sewn along its top edge.

1547590526628.png
1547580249253-png.50771

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Dave,

I'm really sorry - tried on two different browsers (Edge and Chrome), and I don't think the pictures have pulled through on to the thread. Hopefully someone else can confirm this and it isn't me being a fool?

Sorry guys... Somehow the pictures didn't survive a change I made for a standalone thread. I'll see what i can do.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sorry guys... Somehow they didn't make follow a change I made for a standalone thread. I'll see what i can do.
About 15 minutes after the above post I could see them fine on my Android.
Were they good?

About 15 minutes after the above post I could see them fine on my Android.

Were they good?

Yeah, I ended up doing an edited to the post and re-posting the pictures. It seems to have worked.

As to the Snickers bars, sadly I had to use a substitute of my wife's cardboard tasting 'health' bar for the actual picture <spitting the bad taste out of my mouth> :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The pictures on the Gossamer Gear website show shoulder strap pockets, and they are mentioned in the video.
20181025-226_RANGER_1024x1024.jpeg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The pictures on the Gossamer Gear website show shoulder strap pockets, and they are mentioned in the video.

:oops:o_O OMG... I completely overlooked them. I just looked at my pack and sure enough they are there just as pictured. I am embarrassed. I was so focused on so many other things about the pack that I blanked them out. Eventually I would have seen them as I started actually using the pack, but I was just too focused on a quick overview of the main features.

Sorry 'bout that.

I used my wife's - Jill - iPhone 6S plus to see if it fit in the pocket, and it does with expansion volume left over. There is a lot of stretch to those mesh pockets, which are of the same material that Gossamer Gear uses in all of its exterior mesh pockets.

Again, I apologize for the mix up.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You should. My son used the GG Gorilla and I used the larger Mariposa and they worked well on Camino even when they were only partially filled.
I turned Camino Mike onto the Gorilla when I got back last year. He got one of the closeouts (previous year with the removable brain) for less than $100.00. We both used Osprey Exos 48s the first time in 2017 ... we should have gone with the 38.

As to the Snickers bars, sadly I had to use a substitute of my wife's cardboard tasting 'health' bar for the actual picture <spitting the bad taste out of my mouth>
Off topic here. That makes the bars survival food instead of meal or snacks. I remember a tip from someone decades ago in Backpacker magazine to pack Gaines-Burgers, a brand of dog food, as survival rations. No way would they be gone before you needed them.

I turned Camino Mike onto the Gorilla when I got back last year. He got one of the closeouts (previous year with the removable brain) for less than $100.00. We both used Osprey Exos 48s the first time in 2017 ... we should have gone with the 38.
Take a look at replacing the back pad that came with the Gorilla with the new version. It is much better with airflow and heat. It is a direct replacement.
https://www.gossamergear.com/collections/sleeping-pads/products/air-flow-sitlight-camp-seat

Take a look at replacing the back pad that came with the Gorilla with the new version. It is much better with airflow and heat. It is a direct replacement.
https://www.gossamergear.com/collections/sleeping-pads/products/air-flow-sitlight-camp-seat
I switched it out when I bought the pack. I used frequently when taking a break. I almost forgot it when I changed my socks one day on the way to Finisterre. I probably walked a block before I noticed my pack felt different and walked back to get.:D:cool:

€83,-
Just an FYI for anyone interested in buying a Gossamer Gear backpack - they don't normally discount their current lines, but on Black Friday every year they do run a 20% off sale on all backpacks - I had some nice savings when I bought my Gossamer Gear Gorilla pack. I've had mine for 3+ years now and could not be happier with it. My husband got backpack envy and bought himself a Gossamer Gear Mariposa for his frequent backpacking trips - he loves it so much his old Osprey pack is now mostly gathering dust.

Last edited:
Hmm, photos.... I’ll try on another device. Silly internets.

From your very basic assessment thus far @davebugg do you see this as a good pack for you on the Camino?

Hmm, photos.... I’ll try on another device. Silly internets.

From your very basic assessment thus far @davebugg do you see this as a good pack for you on the Camino?

Hi, Keith...

I deleted the post that had all of the photos that I took. There seemed to be a problem with having them as a new thread, and they didn't fit into this one. Sorry.

As to whether I personally would use the Ranger, no I would not. I personally do not like panel loading backpacks, and the Ranger is not a capacity of pack which I would use except for a day hike. Do not misunderstand me, though; that is just my personal preference. I would encourage those who are looking for a panel loader of this capacity to strongly consider trying it out.

I find it comfortable wearing it around the house with a 15 pound load. When I am finally able to give it a full testing for Gossamer Gear I will have an even better feel for it, though.

€60,-
Hi, Keith...

I deleted the post that had all of the photos that I took. There seemed to be a problem with having them as a new thread, and they didn't fit into this one. Sorry.

As to whether I personally would use the Ranger, no I would not. I personally do not like panel loading backpacks, and the Ranger is not a capacity of pack which I would use except for a day hike. Do not misunderstand me, though; that is just my personal preference. I would encourage those who are looking for a panel loader of this capacity to strongly consider trying it out.

I find it comfortable wearing it around the house with a 15 pound load. When I am finally able to give it a full testing for Gossamer Gear I will have an even better feel for it, though.
Interesting. I had assumed that this would be a good size for the Camino. I look forward to your review of it anyway. I’m considering it as a bag for general travel. I almost never check a bag and this one looked good and wasn’t too heavy. I have my Kumo for 2 day hut-to-hut backpacking trips.

Interesting. I had assumed that this would be a good size for the Camino.
For me it would be the perfect size for the Camino. I walked my first two Caminos with a 36 liter backpack which had plenty of room, and last year I used a 32 liter. It's definitely personal preference.

Interesting. I had assumed that this would be a good size for the Camino. I look forward to your review of it anyway. I’m considering it as a bag for general travel. I almost never check a bag and this one looked good and wasn’t too heavy. I have my Kumo for 2 day hut-to-hut backpacking trips.

Keith, it may be a good size for many people. My personal preference is to not have to tightly pack and over organize the stuff that goes into my backpack. I did take the clothing and gear that I normally have carried on my Caminos -- which equals around 9.5 pounds -- and I can make it all fit into the Ranger without anything dangling stuff on the pack. But I do not like having to stuff things in.

But there are a lot of folks who want a small sized pack, and though it isn't what I prefer, I'll be looking at it for quality and performance and not whether I personally like it. If that makes any sense to ya. :)

The Kumo and Ranger will probably feel much the same to you dimension wise... the way the footprint feels on your back.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Keith, it may be a good size for many people. My personal preference is to not have to tightly pack and over organize the stuff that goes into my backpack. I did take the clothing and gear that I normally have carried on my Caminos -- which equals around 9.5 pounds -- and I can make it all fit into the Ranger without anything dangling stuff on the pack. But I do not like having to stuff things in.

But there are a lot of folks who want a small sized pack, and though it isn't what I prefer, I'll be looking at it for quality and performance and not whether I personally like it. If that makes any sense to ya. :)

The Kumo and Ranger will probably feel much the same to you dimension wise... the way the footprint feels on your back.
Sweet. Thanks Dave. I’ll load everything up in my Kumo and my Crown2 and see what I like

For me it would be the perfect size for the Camino. I walked my first two Caminos with a 36 liter backpack which had plenty of room, and last year I used a 32 liter. It's definitely personal preference.
I’m looking forward to loading up my Kumo 36 and see how it does

Dave, thanks for your comprehensive writing on the Ranger 35. Would you, or anyone else on the thread, know if there is a shop in London where I can buy this rucksack?

Dave, thanks for your comprehensive writing on the Ranger 35. Would you, or anyone else on the thread, know if there is a shop in London where I can buy this rucksack?
I think that they can only be ordered online directly from Gossamer Gear.

I’m looking forward to loading up my Kumo 36 and see how it does
I purchased a Kumo last year after my Camino, but have only used it on day hikes so far. I did intend for it to be used for my next Camino, whenever that happens. I think it is a great bag and just the right size for Camino purposes. I used my Osprey 34 liter Stratos in 2018 which was perfectly adequate.

€83,-
I received the Ranger about a week ago, and it will be going with me on my Camino this year. 😄
And I got a 15% discount for a first time purchase from Gossamer Gear.
Woohoo! Like it thus far? Load it up with your gear yet?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, I've loaded it up with about 15 pounds (5 of which was a bag of rice 😊) It is quite comfortable, and I think that it will work well for the Camino.
I’m really curious about this bag. I’m thinking about getting it for travel

I received the Ranger about a week ago, and it will be going with me on my Camino this year. 😄
And I got a 15% discount for a first time purchase from Gossamer Gear.
I just received mine too (no 15% off, wonder what I did wrong?) and will take it next year, I hope. I like this bag a whole lot...!

I just received mine too (no 15% off, wonder what I did wrong?) and will take it next year, I hope. I like this bag a whole lot...!
On my first visit to the Gossamer Gear site there was a pop-up asking for my email address and offering the discount off my first purchase. But I would have purchased without the discount.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, I've loaded it up with about 15 pounds (5 of which was a bag of rice 😊) It is quite comfortable, and I think that it will work well for the Camino.
If it’s should be comfortable up to 20+ given its design so should suit anyone who isn’t carrying a truckload. Thoughts @davebugg? Have you loaded yours up for a wander yet? I’ve played around with the Kumo 36 and it’s annoying me with its narrow opening.

If it’s should be comfortable up to 20+ given its design so should suit anyone who isn’t carrying a truckload. Thoughts @davebugg? Have you loaded yours up for a wander yet? I’ve played around with the Kumo 36 and it’s annoying me with its narrow opening.

Hi, Keith. . .

I've worn mine around the house with 15 pounds, which is the max weight that I typically put into this size of pack - - - most of the time. I find it very good at that weight load. And I can imagine it doing well at 20 pound loads as well.

The Kumo is a frameless pack, so in theory the Ranger (which uses an effective frame-sheet type of frame) will always feel more 'comfortable' with higher levels of weight. At 15 pounds, that difference will not be as noticeable. At 20 pounds, it would be.

To be sure, the difference between the packs at 20 pounds is not going to be a "gliding on air vs sheer agony", difference. It boils down to HOW the load is carried and supported, which will create a different "feel" between the two.

When I talk about 'comfort' in a backpack - - which is subjective quality - - it is the point at which I really am not paying attention to it while I am walking. That DOES include discomfort, but it also focuses on my need to shift it around, how frequently I need to adjust straps and buckles, how well it preserves my center of gravity and balance rather than creates a problem with them, etc.

I hope this helps explain how I arrive at my perceptions.

Thanks Dave. Totally clear. I’m a bigger fella so the difference in the weight of the unloaded pack isn’t much of an issue for me as long as I keep total pack weight reasonable. The Kumo was very comfortable, I loaded it with 15 lbs or so and it was really comfortable. Loading and unloading made me grimace though.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm back from walking nearly 1100 km on my latest Camino using the Ranger 35. It was very comfortable and carried the load well. I started out with about 14.5lbs without water. For anyone who is interested in this pack it's now on sale for only $124! They are showing a regular price of $155, but when it was introduced, and when I bought mine in February, it was $185.

I'm back from walking nearly 1100 km on my latest Camino using the Ranger 35. It was very comfortable and carried the load well. I started out with about 14.5lbs without water. For anyone who is interested in this pack it's now on sale for only $124! They are showing a regular price of $155, but when it was introduced, and when I bought mine in February, it was $185.

Great to know Trecile. I bought one and just did some travel with it (airline, hotel etc) and it was really good. After 1000km you’ll have shaken out its quirks. What was the biggest love and biggest hate with the pack?

Great to know Trecile. I bought one and just did some travel with it (airline, hotel etc) and it was really good. After 1000km you’ll have shaken out its quirks. What was the biggest love and biggest hate with the pack?
My biggest love would be how comfortable it is. I like the small mesh pockets on the shoulder straps, though they aren't comfortable if you put something rigid like a cell phone in them, they are useful for small items, and handkerchiefs, etc.
I don't like how the side compression straps are attached to the side mesh pockets - I'd prefer that they were under the mesh pockets. And the attachment loops near the top of the pack are not sewn on - I lost one one the Camino. And it didn't come with any at the bottom of the pack, so I made my own with some shock cord. I also think that the foam mesh that they use on the shoulder straps is a little scratchy. But these are very minor quibbles.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Good to hear. I have noticed the same thing with the compression straps. They get in the way of the pockets. Not a major issue but mildly annoying.

I like trecile’s report, but I’m curious. @davebugg ... did you ever finish your assessment of this bag? One of the reviews I saw, speaks of some question about how well it will distribute weight to the hips, given the way the hip belt was constructed.

I like trecile’s report, but I’m curious. @davebugg ... did you ever finish your assessment of this bag? One of the reviews I saw, speaks of some question about how well it will distribute weight to the hips, given the way the hip belt was constructed.
I find that because of the design of the frame sheet, the weight is well distributed to the hips. There is no issue with the construction of the hip belt.

I’m very close to ordering this bag.
:)
I think that they may be closing them out. The price has dropped significantly, and they have moved it from their "Backpacks" page to their "Gear Closet"

When I purchased the Ranger it was priced at $185. I got a "first-time purchaser" discount that brought it down to around $150.

I have never carried more than about 17-18 lbs. My base weight has been between 11.5 - 14.5 lbs

OK, I'll ask - does it have just a frame sheet, no stays, so it can be bundled into the washing machine? My Osprey Escapist 25 is pretty similar, only with a ridged and mesh covered back panel, so no sweaty pack back, but she still goes straight in the machine when I get home. Currently selling for €156 or more in Europe.

OK, I'll ask - does it have just a frame sheet, no stays, so it can be bundled into the washing machine? My Osprey Escapist 25 is pretty similar, only with a ridged and mesh covered back panel, so no sweaty pack back, but she still goes straight in the machine when I get home. Currently selling for €156 or more in Europe.

Yes, the frame sheet is removable. It does not need Stays for this design.

The Ranger incorporates the same raised, airflow channel concept, with airflow mesh an foam material at locations along the back panel. I've never experienced having the back of the Ranger being soaked with drenching sweat.

But this really isn't about comparative, subjective perceptions of backpack qualities for the purpose of talking someone away from gear that they like. In other words, if someone already has a backpack they enjoy, there is no need to purchase another :)

I will mention that the larger-capacity Ranger does weighs a bit less than the Osprey, should that be a consideration.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
According to the website the Ranger 35 weighs 962g and my Escapist 25, which is very roomy for a 25L, weighs just shy of a kilo less its pack cover. Weight is always a consideration in any kit, as long as it is still comfortable. If I hadn't found and tested the Escapist, I would be very interested in the Ranger, and as a pack nerd I suppose I still am 😁

Thanks Dave!

Yeah, I noticed that price. Even with the exchange rate, it’s very attractive.

According to the website the Ranger 35 weighs 962g and my Escapist 25, which is very roomy for a 25L, weighs just shy of a kilo less its pack cover. Weight is always a consideration in any kit, as long as it is still comfortable. If I hadn't found and tested the Escapist, I would be very interested in the Ranger, and as a pack nerd I suppose I still am 😁

Thanks for that post. I always measure and weigh my own piece of gear or clothing when hired to test a product, as there can be a discrepancy between actual weights and measures of a single item, vs what the manufacturer states. Sometimes that is due to slight variations between the items coming out of production. Other times, what was used during initial production gets changed: the types of strap materials, the buckles and snaps, the run of material that's sewn.

In this case, though, I used the weight of the pack AFTER I modified it by removing excess materials and options. In the reports to the company, these modifications are noted as part of quality control assessment: are the things removed improve weight or function.

So the website 962 grams is the unmodified and complete AVERAGE weight of the Ranger. I edited my post to reflect that.

As to capacity, the Ranger 35 has a noticeable and functionally significant increased carrying capacity over the Escapist 25 L. The Ranger can be forced to carry up to 42 liters, but that is with so much compression as to make things inaccessible unless everything is removed first. But it can easily accommodate 38 liters. On a liter-per-gram consideration, that is pretty good if one is gram counting. :)

€46,-
So I took the plunge and ordered this. Here already! Out of the box, it seems to weigh only 22 oz or 625 grams!!! I keep re-weighing it to check, as that’s quite a bit less than advertised or Dave’s out of the box.

I’m still fiddling with it, and I think it fits a bit better without the frame. It has serious potential. We’ll be going for a walk soon.

@davebugg , what’s your thought on replacing the frame with some kind of pad?

So I took the plunge and ordered this. Here already! Out of the box, it seems to weigh only 22 oz or 625 grams!!! I keep re-weighing it to check, as that’s quite a bit less than advertised or Dave’s out of the box.

I’m still fiddling with it, and I think it fits a bit better without the frame. It has serious potential. We’ll be going for a walk soon.

@davebugg , what’s your thought on replacing the frame with some kind of pad?

That would depend on the weighted load you'll be carrying. If I were to replace the framesheet, I would first look at something like the Gossamer Gear Sitpad air-mesh. Something just stiff enough to help provide structure for a light load and to keep the load transference, which would be minimal as a need, to the hipbelt.

Alternatively, a small air mattress-thingy sit pad could also work, and the amount of air can make it stiffer or softer as you wanted it to be.

You are a star! My load will be under 5kg pre-water. I’ll play with this thing and look for local sources for your suggestions. Thank you!!

€46,-
Just weighed and measured mine. The length is right about 22 inches, and I removed the frame sheet to measure it, and it's just under 22 inches. Mine weighs 34.1 ounces/967 grams.
@davebugg - what do you think could account for the discrepancy in weight between my pack and @NorthernLight's?

Last edited:
I’ve decided I think my kitchen scale is off. I’ve been playing with weights and comparing things. I think the bag is closer to 2 lbs ... so 907g. The other weight made no sense.

😕

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.