• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arrived in Santiago Via the Ingles for the feast day of Sant

We arrived yesterday in Santiago via the Camino Ingles and picked up our credenciales today, so that they could be dated July 25, which is Santiago´s feast day and also my birthday!!! It was a bit of a treat to do this in a Holy Year. All along the route I have been reading the Voz de Galicia which reported MAJOR overcrowding along the French route. On the English route, we didn´t have any problem at all getting places to stay. We didn´t make any reservations in advance (except for Santiago, which we knew would be booked solid). We had a tent and sleeping bags with us ´just in case´, but didn´t need to use it. When we arrived in Santiago, there was a massive queue at the pilgrims office. One woman we talked to had been waiting for three hours and was still about 10 feet from the door. We lined up this morning between 7 and 7:30 and there already was a queue (some people slept out in line). The doors opened at 9am and we had our credenciales by 9:30 am.

We used Johnniewalkers excellent guide which we downloaded from the Co-Fraternity of St James site. His directions are very accurate, but there are a few areas where you are diverted away from the route because of work on the camino. On Day 1, what his guide gives as a ´highly recommended alternative route´ leaving Ferrol is now the official route and is very well waymarked. In fact, the route is well marked for most of the way. Days 2 and 3 are very straightforward. On day 4, near Ordes, you are diverted away from the route, but the diversions are very well marked and easy to follow.

On day 5, just before you hit the picnic area at 5km, there is a sign indicating that the cafe bar Fontiña is 30m off route (this isn´t mentioned in Johnnie´s guide). They have a sello and are very helpful. As you start to rise after the railway tunnel at 8km, what Johnnie calls a path is now a track. The waymarking is still faint, but the way to go is pretty obvious. Once you hit the highway, you are dirverted away from the route because of construction work. The way to go is pretty obvious as you just follow the track that runs along side the highway. Then you hit another detour as you enter the industural area outside of Santiago. This directs you to walk behind the main buildings with the main road to your left. This isn´t well sign posted and we ended up coming out at the Cafe Bar Edison and had to ask directions to get back on track. Thankfully, everyone knew where the walled cemetary was. We started out on the wrong side of it but walked around until we found the shell marker. After that, we were back on track.

We were given information, including distances, from Tourist Information in Ferrol. I also downloaded information from the Mundicamino site. There are huge variations in the distances given. We think that Johnnie´s are the most accurate. For example, on day 4, tourist info says that the day is 30 km long. Johnnie says that it is 24km. It took us 6 hours and we walk about 4km per hour (on a good day). So a big thanks goes out to Johnniewalker for his work in producing an updated guide in time for the Año Santo.

Overall, I would say that the Ingles is a ´nice´ route. It has some long days, but no really big climbs. The albergues are very far apart, and so most people will either have to camp or stay in a pension at some point until more albergues are built. The waymarking is clear apart from the diversion mentioned above. This would be a nice ´starter´camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Peregrina Nicole, Congratulations and a happy birthday for yesterday, and undoubtably a birthday you will remember for the rest of your life. Your notes on the Camino Ingles are very helpful indeed. I will be walking the Camino Frances in Sept and Oct and due to a change in plans I now have about 50 days so am thinking of adding the Finisterre and Inglis Caminos at the end. John Walkers guide is very good but I would like to have a map of the route which is more detailed than in the guide. Did you have a map. I have tried the normal internet sites, but they all lack detail. I would be grateful for your help. Thank you. Camino-david

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Camino David! We didn't have a map. Apart from when we got a bit lost entering into the industrial outskirts of Santiago, we didn't really need one. We downloaded some topographical info from the mundicamino site but this wasn't that much use (and a bit inaccurate). Buen Camino!

Good grief, Very detailed maps, thanks to google and the patient person who detailed them I guess it goes from one end of the spectrum (muddling along following arrows on the ground) to pilgrims with GPS... always found getting lost part of the charm of the journey, but a good map is a great help - but a poor guide/map is a damn hazard!

Update on accomodation and prices on the Ingles

In my original post, I neglected to mention that the prices have changed from Johnnie Walker's last version of the download from the Cofraternity of St James. We didn't stay in any of the albergues as they didn't really fit in well with our schedule and we can afford to stay in penions (especially for a short camino). In Ferrol, we stayed in the Hotel Real on Calle Dolores 11-13. The back of the Hotel is on the Camino and is clearly identifiable with the sign. The entrance is around the corner on the parallel street. We paid 45 euros for a double with a bath. This place was clean and nice and there were restaurants and bars near by. In Meson do Vento, we stayed at the Pension O Meson Novo (antonio@mesonnovo.com). We paid 45 euros for a double with bath. The couple who run this place are lovely. There is a bar which opens at 5am (useful for an early start). In Sigueiro, we stayed at the Hostal Hermanos Miras and paid 35 euros for a double with a shared bathroom. This is the ONLY place we spotted in this town. I hope this helps people.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back