• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Arrived Roncesvalles!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
7 hours and 45 minutes. Weather was gorgeous. Even a bit warm for a while -- I took the legs off my trousers, but later it got windy, so I put them back plus added my hat and gloves for a bit.

Hotel wifi is slow. I'll let you know when I get the blog to work.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Congratulations on making it! I'm so happy you had good weather, as the views are so amazing. Looking forward to hearing more updates.

Keep an eye out for my sign tomorrow Amanda, you will pass it on the way to Zubiri.
3278.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Was unable to post blog with photos (not sure why), so removed them (shared them on Facebook). Blog now up. See my signature for the link.

No blisters! But my arthritic toe is suddenly (starting on the train ride here) finding the edge of my boot now and then. This is new and worrisome.

On my other foot, I have a hairline stress fracture. Had it for a while now. Had my Rx inserts adjusted for it last week.

Felt some strain in the muscles, etc in my soles from time to time yesterday. Positively GIMPED to dinner. But that's not unusual for me after a long ramble (or even a short one).

Hoping to cut walks a bit short during this first week, but tomorrow can't get shorter than 21km.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Just wanted to join in the "don´t overdo it" camp. These first few days can be a great easing in to the rhythm of the Camino or they can push you into a wall that ends your walk. Take care, be kind to your feet, Amanda. There are lots of places to stop and rest or stop and sleep. These are the days to indulge, you´ll have plenty of time to be an "authentic pilgrim" later. Buen camino, Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
But my arthritic toe is suddenly (starting on the train ride here) finding the edge of my boot now and then. This is new and worrisome.
There is a product called "tubos elásticos" available in any pharmacy (farmacia). It's a silcone tube wrapped in a cloth lining. You cut off a piece the length of your toe, slip it on, and, at least my my case, get instant relief. They come in at least two different sizes so make sure they are the right width. Most pharmacists, in my experience, are very helpful.

One downside, as with any foot bandage, is that it might cause your foot to bind somewhere else.

Good luck.

Karl

I have some of that, but sadly, the arthritis is in the big joint of my big toe -- think bunion. Can't get anything around it since it's the main part of my foot.

It wasn't bad today. Everything hurts, but now that my feet are up, it's okay.

I have some of that, but sadly, the arthritis is in the big joint of my big toe -- think bunion. Can't get anything around it since it's the main part of my foot.

It wasn't bad today. Everything hurts, but now that my feet are up, it's okay.

Amanda , have a good lunch each day in the best restr. , write up your diary and then sleep.
If the feet, knees or any other part of your body starts to cause pain SLOW UP
And please don't worry too much about us forum mob....if you worry about face book and all the other social media instead of your limbs the walk will be very short indeed.
Be careful going into Zubiri.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Zuberi was a white knuckle ride down. But no falling!
There is a nice little shoe/sport store there in Zubiri. I switched up my insoles there. It's near the grocery (would be the left street after muni which you will take to leave). Funny thing in Zubiri - there is a salon there and another pilgrim and I had had a laugh that we would go in and ask for the "pilgrim's rate" on services. Both of us had been elsewhere prior to SJPdP. We were enjoying a coffee outside nearby so just for the heck of it we popped our heads in and were immediately shooed away. Haha

I am really enjoying your blog. Keep up the good work. Write as much as you can with details (easy for me to say, isn't it?!) And please continue to include details of your meals, good and bad. In fact, it's the "good and bad" part about everything that you do well. Hope you're having fun.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I'm enjoying your blog immensely and it is inspiring me to keep planning my camino. It's great hearing all the ups and downs that you are experiencing (and I don't mean just the hills).
Keep going and make your family and yourself proud.
Buen camino.

great blog. I love the tearing pages. You are making me reweigh my stuff again and it is months before I leave.

Hahaha

Hahahaha!

Whenever I gimp from my car to the front door after a hike, I will think of this.
Agree about the descent to Zubiri....good to read that you made it with no falling.....I too am enjoying reading your blog.....keep travelling safely Amanda and Buen Camino...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Festina lente!
I like the blog.:)

Amanda-- if you are taking industrial amount sof Advil might as well get to a pharmacy and buy Ibuprofen 600 mg pills. Take it with at least 400 mg of Magnesium. This combination proved a Camino-Saver for me many times. Ibupprofen took care of any muscle inflamation, Magnesium expedited recovery, reduced cramps, and stretch exercises before and after walking kept injuries at bay. I recalled a particularly painful cramp on my foot between Palas de Rei-Arzua. Upon arrival to Arzua, I applied pain cream to my foot, took one Ibuprofen, a Magnesium pill, put my foot up, and the next day I woke up feeeling like new. Buen Camino!

Fun reading your blog, Amanda, and looking forward to more.
Buen camino
Suzanne :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh my , oh my, oh my... You are getting so close! It's a lovely feeling, mixed with a pinch of melancholy at the thought of being finished soon (at least it was for me, here and there during the last 100k). Hip, hip hooray for you!

Keep on, keeping on Amanda. Remember to enjoy these last few days. Enjoy every conversation with every fellow pilgrim, waitress, hospitalera, etc. Smell the air. Hear the crickets. Feel the rain. Watch the stars move. Gobble down the pulpo and quaff the wine. You'll never know if this turns out to be a once in a lifetime experience so go home with no regrets about what you didn't do. Have fun!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I plan to walk out of SJPDP on September 4th. I am in the Green Bay area if you ever want to compare some notes.

We'll be coming up from Madrid and zig zagging on several routes to approach Santiago from the South. Nice to know that Wisconsin is well represented here.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back