• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arrived St Jean to find....

Paul_L

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés Feb-April (2015)
Camino Francés March-April (2020)
We have arrived in St Jean PP and are ready to start, credential in hand. As we are traveling with five children we have quite heavy bags, a baby carrier (meaning I am carrying all the equipment for my wife and the baby). Going through the pack before heading off I wanted to check, how many off the following is useful?
Hair mask for all hair types
30+ sunscreen
50+ sunscreen
400ml anti dandruff shampoo
24hr frizz control
Vit E cream
Shine serum for all hair types
Hand and nail restore
Mickey Mouse shampoo gel and body wash
Calendula cream
+ a variety of other things that this balding bloke doesn't understand!

I hope we are leaving a few things behind! (I have my wife's permission to post this, and I'm not really asking for people to tell me what my wife needs, just sharing the joy.)

For those who have never been to SJPP, it is stunningly beautiful, and we are all so excited to be here. Thanks to all who have given us feedback and support getting to this stage. Tomorrow we start walking!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We have arrived in St Jean PP and are ready to start, credential in hand. As we are traveling with five children we have quite heavy bags, a baby carrier (meaning I am carrying all the equipment for my wife and the baby). Going through the pack before heading off I wanted to check, how many off the following is useful?
30+ sunscreen
50+ sunscreen
24hr frizz control
Vit E cream
Hand and nail restore
Calendula cream

I hope we are leaving a few things behind! (I have my wife's permission to post this, and I'm not really asking for people to tell me what my wife needs, just sharing the joy.)

For those who have never been to SJPP, it is stunningly beautiful, and we are all so excited to be here. Thanks to all who have given us feedback and support getting to this stage. Tomorrow we start walking!
Hy , I wish you all a great journy and a Buen Camino , Peter.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sigh, your wife will be in for a surprise on what little cosmetic you can live comfortably, here my quick thoughts. And I can't resist telling you that you should have posted this before leaving home, sorry ...

Hair mask for all hair types - throw in bin
30+ sunscreen - leave behind
50+ sunscreen- take it!
400ml anti dandruff shampoo - if this is the only one you have for all of you, take it
24hr frizz control - you must be kidding, throw in bin
Vit E cream - for what exactly? If for beauty only, into the bin, if for healing skin lesions take it.
Shine serum for all hair types - Kidding? Bin!
Hand and nail restore - Bin!
Mickey Mouse shampoo gel and body wash - One shampoo and shower gel for all bodies, hair and clothes. Adults can shower with it also.
Calendula cream - keep
+ a variety of other things that this balding bloke doesn't understand! - I dare not ask what they are neither!

Buen, lighter, Camino! SY

I should have qualified "fairly decent" weather with the caveat that you are in the Basque mountains in February where the rain falls freely to keep the grass so green for the sheep and cows, decent in February meaning it's slightly above freezing.

Oh, and if your wife wants to keep all this stuff - tell her to carry it and you carry only the baby! Quickest way to make her see reason. And before anybody says that is a 'typical female problem (carrying too much)' when my husband joined me for two weeks on my 'short pilgrimage across Europe' the first thing I did was sorting his backpack out - if not, he still would be struggling up that mountain ... SY

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I agree with everything SY said. Then I looked at this plaque my wife has on the wall in our kitchen. "Happy wife = Happy life.

Best of luck in your decision. I am sure it will be the right one.

Ultreya,
Joe

As I remember you do have ample time to walk the Camino. may I suggest to stay a few days in SJPDP and discuss things further and get a sort of consent what you really want/need/expect from this pilgrimage before setting out overloaded? Those days to reflect might be the most important investment you both do in this pilgrimage ... SY

My response:

30+ sunscreen - take it for the children
50+ sunscreen - dump it
400ml anti dandruff shampoo - dump it
24hr frizz control - dump it
Vit E cream - dump it
Shine serum for all hair types - dump it
Hand and nail restore - dump it
Mickey Mouse shampoo gel and body wash - dump it
Calendula cream - dump it

Take one bar of gentle soap for body and hair.
Don't worry about frizzies.. it's the camino and everyone looks like they just woke up!
Consider bag transport for this first stage if you're traveling with children.
Carolyn, the local taxi, will take your bags.
And I hope you are stopping at Orisson!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
30+ sunscreen
50+ sunscreen
24hr frizz control
Vit E cream
Hand and nail restore
Calendula cream

Good luck to all of you on your family pilgrimage. Maya

Hello Paul and family.
You are a brave family.
I would like to meet you when you'll go through Zizur.
Regards and Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A random message totally unrelated to this thread but directed to SY, MM and other regular posters that I have been asking myself lately. Where is MendiWalker??

Forum stats tell me me that MendiWalker was seen "A moment ago", so hopefully s/he will chime in shortly! SY

Thanks for the replies. It is all fine. It's just some light hearted banter between us. We were travelling a bit through Europe before the camino, so having all that stuff was useful (remembering that I also have two teenage daughters, who I think use the stuff more than my wife does!). I pulled the stuff out and we had a laugh. Our bags are already looking much lighter. Last debate was over the 10 clip on koalas we have brought for gifts that weren't handed out! Nothing serious, and all light hearted with shared excitement. I'd best sleep, up to walk soon.
:)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
... the 10 clip on koalas we have brought for gifts ...

10 (hair) clips on live koalas (meant to be a gift) the mind boggles! On the other hand, keep them until Galicia, they will feel right at home there amongst the Eucalyptus trees! SY

30+ sunscreen
50+ sunscreen
24hr frizz control
Vit E cream
Hand and nail restore
Calendula cream

You are quite a family !!! Have a great adventure, Buen Camino ! Stephen

Sigh, your wife will be in for a surprise on what little cosmetic you can live comfortably, here my quick thoughts. And I can't resist telling you that you should have posted this before leaving home, sorry ...

Hair mask for all hair types - throw in bin
30+ sunscreen - leave behind
50+ sunscreen- take it!
400ml anti dandruff shampoo - if this is the only one you have for all of you, take it
24hr frizz control - you must be kidding, throw in bin
Vit E cream - for what exactly? If for beauty only, into the bin, if for healing skin lesions take it.
Shine serum for all hair types - Kidding? Bin!
Hand and nail restore - Bin!
Mickey Mouse shampoo gel and body wash - One shampoo and shower gel for all bodies, hair and clothes. Adults can shower with it also.
Calendula cream - keep
+ a variety of other things that this balding bloke doesn't understand! - I dare not ask what they are neither!

Buen, lighter, Camino! SY

Paul is being a good sport and has clearly said he is not looking for us to tell him, or his wife what he should be carrying: "I have my wife's permission to post this, and I'm not really asking for people to tell me what my wife needs, just sharing the joy". He is just sharing a bit of banter between his and his wife. I think he has a wonderful sense of humour.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Paul, please check in every so often to let us all know how you are going. You are a very brave man - a baby AND teenage daughters!
Buen camino to you all.
Jacki. (And where in Australia are you from?)

Buen Camino! Hope you have a wonderful time together :)
Starting out Tuesday or Wednesdaynext week so may see you on route. Need to sleep too. Flight in the AM.
Nite all :)

Carry it all. Best to be prepared. Good hair care is essential and should never be neglected. Do you have a hair dryer? If not then you should be able to borrow one. Most pilgrims have a hair dryer.

Good luck!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If it all becomes a bit much, send some of it one bag ahead with Jacotrans!

30+ sunscreen
50+ sunscreen
24hr frizz control
Vit E cream
Hand and nail restore
Calendula cream

Hahhaha, whats up with all the hairstuff?? Is your wife planning to open a pop-up beautysalon here and there? :)

Take the calendula, one shampoo (mickey rules) and a sunscreen and ditch the rest.....just dont tell your wife ;)

I sooo do wanna know what the variety of other things are:D

sillydoll beat me to it about bag transfer and I am sure you have thought of sending stuff on ahead to Ivar (once over the border). For many of us the moments of tranquillity on the Camino are an important time and memories. Maybe suggest to your group leader that you send the children and baggage poste restaurant one of the days so you can have an easy day of peace together?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Buen Camino @Paul_L and let us know how you are going. If you put "children" in the heading of your posts it would be very helpful to those who are searching the forum as they think/plan to walk the camino with children.

@ivar there seem to be an increasing number of people with children on the camino. I don't know what the numbers are but is it time to have a dedicated section on the forum? It would make it much easier than having to do random searches.

30+ sunscreen
50+ sunscreen
24hr frizz control
Vit E cream
Hand and nail restore
Calendula cream

Ditch everything and swap for a can of Baked Beans. And she`ll be right cobber.:rolleyes:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all, we leave Australia in 1 1/2 weeks and can not wait to get to SJPPD. My pack weighs 6.93Kg including poles and wife's 6.74Kg as we will travel as Carry On luggage on flight. As it will be on our back for a month, the lighter the better and i agree with the others, we have none of that stuff as it is a pilgrimage not a fashion show :)

G

I got mine to 8.9kg yesterday. And that's the 3rd trimming. 1 more trimming to go but can't see it lighter than 8kg.o_O
And that's with the baked beans.LOL

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I got mine to 8.9kg yesterday. And that's the 3rd trimming. 1 more trimming to go but can't see it lighter than 8kg.o_O
And that's with the baked beans.LOL
Eat the 'baked beans' and you will get lighter lol.

My pack weighed 1.03kg empty and glad i got a light one. have 1 more trimming and try get lighter gear if possible? Hard in winter, but good luck.

Buen Camino.

Paul, please check in every so often to let us all know how you are going. You are a very brave man - a baby AND teenage daughters!
Buen camino to you all.
Jacki. (And where in Australia are you from?)

Hi Jacki,
I think Paul is a teacher from the Riverina area

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi all, been sort of offline for a couple of days. (Checked the forum, but too tired to reply!). Thanks for best wishes and jokes. Much appreciated. Made it to Zubiri today. Weather has been ok, walking through rain most of the time, with lots of snow around, but temperature generally ok.

One baby tantrum today was a low moment (on the side of a highway in the snow, not the ideal one there!) but the kids have been incredible. Had to stay to highways, so ended up walking about 26km today from Roncesvalles to here.

I've attached a photo of two of our kids with a snow man they found on the descent into Zubiri. It turned out that the snowman was made by a group of Portuguese pilgrims who are sharing the same Albergue with us tonight (one had promised his daughter a picture of a snowman whilst on pilgrimage). Love the serendipity of it all!

And Thornley is correct, I'm a teacher from the Riverina in NSW (although originally I'm from Sydney, I made the tree move four years ago as city life wasn't compatible with a large family and the role I wanted to play as a father and husband for me).

Oh, hair is all fine too, just in case anyone was concerned. ;)

We kept the sunscreen then didn't use it and got sunburnt today! :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 78
Buen Camino @Paul_L and let us know how you are going. If you put "children" in the heading of your posts it would be very helpful to those who are searching the forum as they think/plan to walk the camino with children.

@ivar there seem to be an increasing number of people with children on the camino. I don't know what the numbers are but is it time to have a dedicated section on the forum? It would make it much easier than having to do random searches.
I love the idea of a family section. I'll keep the children in the title in mind in future. Thanks for the tip!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@Paul_L your daughter looks like a pro haha :) COOL!

Glad to hear about the hair. Kept me up at nights. I hope your wife shares her hairmasks with fellow peregrinas ;)

I'm glad the family is doing well!

Beautiful family too!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for posting this topic! :D Sorting other peoples belongings is always fun (you know, there is quite a trend called "whats in my handbag?") I know I'm a bit late and you have already sorted for yourself, but did I guess right what was ditched?

Hair mask for all hair types - probably still there
30+ sunscreen and
50+ sunscreen - both used up and bought new
400ml anti dandruff shampoo - changed for smaller bottle
24hr frizz control - whoops, where did you last see it?
Vit E cream - maybe, depends
Shine serum for all hair types - gone (oh, no, can't imagine where did it go (evil laugh)) or its the mask that got lost, one or the other
Hand and nail restore - still there, for the one doing the clotheswashing and dishwashing
Mickey Mouse shampoo gel and body wash - used up. There was a mention of 5!!! kids
Calendula cream - its Vit E cream or this by now.

My kids are 20+ now but I would advise to allow the teenagers to carry their own beauty stuff. Sets the priorities. I'm not saying they don't need any beauty stuff. I will have mine on the Way too.

Did I guess?
I promise to post my pack contents when I finally decide what is coming along. :)

I love Paul L. and his family....buen camino, Dad! Your kids and wife will never forget this experience.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi all, been sort of offline for a couple of days. (Checked the forum, but too tired to reply!). Thanks for best wishes and jokes. Much appreciated. Made it to Zubiri today. Weather has been ok, walking through rain most of the time, with lots of snow around, but temperature generally ok.

One baby tantrum today was a low moment (on the side of a highway in the snow, not the ideal one there!) but the kids have been incredible. Had to stay to highways, so ended up walking about 26km today from Roncesvalles to here.

I've attached a photo of two of our kids with a snow man they found on the descent into Zubiri. It turned out that the snowman was made by a group of Portuguese pilgrims who are sharing the same Albergue with us tonight (one had promised his daughter a picture of a snowman whilst on pilgrimage). Love the serendipity of it all!

And Thornley is correct, I'm a teacher from the Riverina in NSW (although originally I'm from Sydney, I made the tree move four years ago as city life wasn't compatible with a large family and the role I wanted to play as a father and husband for me).

Oh, hair is all fine too, just in case anyone was concerned. ;)

We kept the sunscreen then didn't use it and got sunburnt today! :)
My four children went on trips and had adventures when they were growing up. ( nothing like the adventure you are on now !). They remember these things fondly and are very close because of the shared experience. They might think their parents are a few bubbles off center but always talk about the trips and are very open to new things. I am going to take that as positive. :). I admire your wife and you and believe you are giving them a great legacy. I wish I could have met both of you and your family. Buen Camino, God bless you and keep you in his hands. Stephen

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Buen camino! Say hi if you see us, we should be easy to spot! (the slow moving big group with kids).
I love the idea of a family section. I'll keep the children in the title in mind in future. Thanks for the tip!

The kids will grow in front of your eyes.
They will find you old chalkies and the school rooms very tame in a few weeks Paul.
They won't be the same and well done on showing them the best university around.....travel.

30+ sunscreen
50+ sunscreen
24hr frizz control
Vit E cream
Hand and nail restore
Calendula cream

Hi Paul, I remember those wonderful days! Buen Camino

30+ sunscreen
50+ sunscreen
24hr frizz control
Vit E cream
Hand and nail restore
Calendula cream

Buen Camino , wishing you all the best, we start end of March, coming from Perth WA, getting really excited will keep a watch on your posts

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I would keep one sunscreen. I am assuming that your family tends to burn easily with the numbers on those sunscreens. Given that, I would opt for the higher SPF for the greatest protection for the baby. I don't see a need for two different sunscreens. With regard to all these hair products, I would encourage simplification. When I travel, I opt for a two-in-one type of shampoo because my hair tends to tangle. I am thinking that there may be various reasons why your wife opts for these products. She'll need to figure out what the least she can travel with will be. Like one of the posts above, I would have her carry her own hair products if they are important to her. She'll find out soon enough what is and is not important once she's hauling all this stuff around. I don't see a need for different shampoos for each family member. With regard to the skin care products, I am not sure if there are various issues that are being treated. Like the hair products, I would lean towards what is most important and maybe find one product that addresses most of these issues. I do travel with one lotion and I find that I need it more while traveling than while at home, so I wouldn't be one to recommend going without everything, but I would recommend scrutinizing what is being brought; otherwise, I think you'll find you'll be leaving a trail of skin care products along your journey.

A random message totally unrelated to this thread but directed to SY, MM and other regular posters that I have been asking myself lately. Where is MendiWalker??
and, where is KANGA.....these two names, I've not seen for quite a while now.....Camino Hugs.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Howdy, @Paul_L !

I read your post and immediately thought of my late grandfather who was a major influence on my life. he oft quoted St. Augustine to the effect: "Life is a book and he who does not travel turns but a page." (He emigrated from Ireland to the US at the age of 16.)

Like you, I am the father of five and it looks like the age spread from youngest to oldest is about the same as well! Unlike you, I am not so brave!:( Though we had many travels as a family in North America, time and circumstances precluded an international experience en famille. We did, though, make sure to bump the chicks from the nest for an extended international experience on their own largely before they hit the age of 20 - always with trusted friends - and they came back refreshed, more confident and better able to see the world objectively as well as sympathetically. So kudos to you and your good wife, the dividends to your family life as well as your kids will be immeasurable!

I am now at the age where grandchildren are in the equation and there is some "nibbling" by the children as to what the Camino is all about. So... I am trying to figure out how to win the lottery so as to take them but also working on the logistics. I have no problem except about the Meseta, which I dearly love, but where I have seen many folks have tummy troubles over my last two walks. As an experienced parent, you know how that can drag down a trip! (Although it builds character, right? :eek:)

Some folks blame the water, some folks blame the food. My own advance planning notes for "Family on the Meseta" are free for your use if you wish. Just PM me before you hit Burgos as I have not had a lot of time to spend here lately. BTW, my notes assume that the most pessimistic camps of opinion are correct but add in a dimension that most folks do not identify. I am a microbiologist by training, with plenty of epidemiological experience. Admittedly, that does not make me an expert but I remain pretty objective about what I experienced. Precautions are simple while suffering the experience itself could be rather trying no matter how much character it builds! Sadly, I cannot offer guarantees, only probabilities.

I do not wish to hijack (further) this most excellent thread at this point. You can feel free to post any of my responses to any PM for others' opinions. (It could get contentious although I am generally diplomatic!)

Buen Camino in any event!

B

Last edited by a moderator:
@susanawee I'm here - in training (sort of) so less virtual camino and more real walking. Only 76 more sleeps to go! Very excited.

Loved your photo @Paul_L - just lovely to see. And phew I feel exhausted thinking about the mammoth effect by you and wife. Sending lots of emotional support and encouragement. I spend time minding two-year-old twins and that completely wrecks me and we are not even going anywhere. I recall @Kiwi-family saying people were always asking her how the children were holding up but no-one ever thought about her. I will. Bon courage!

OK, back to the question in the OP: last year I really really missed taking handcream. If you are doing laundry every night, your hands get really sore, esp in cold weather. So, my suggestion is to buy some in Pamplona!

Howdy, @Paul_L !

I read your post and immediately thought of my late grandfather who was a major influence on my life. he oft quoted St. Augustine to the effect: "Life is a book and he who does not travel turns but a page." (He emigrated from Ireland to the US at the age of 16.)

Like you, I am the father of five and it looks like the age spread from youngest to oldest is about the same as well! Unlike you, I am not so brave!:( Though we had many travels as a family in North America, time and circumstances precluded an international experience en famille. We did, though, make sure to bump the chicks from the nest for an extended international experience on their own largely before they hit the age of 20 - always with trusted friends - and they came back refreshed, more confident and better able to see the world objectively as well as sympathetically. So kudos to you and your good wife, the dividends to your family life as well as your kids will be immeasurable!

I am now at the age where grandchildren are in the equation and there is some "nibbling" by the children as to what the Camino is all about. So... I am trying to figure out how to win the lottery so as to take them but also working on the logistics. I have no problem except about the Meseta, which I dearly love, but where I have seen many folks have tummy troubles over my last two walks. As an experienced parent, you know how that can drag down a trip! (Although it builds character, right? :eek:)

Some folks blame the water, some folks blame the food. My own advance planning notes for "Family on the Meseta" are free for your use if you wish. Just PM me before you hit Burgos as I have not had a lot of time to spend here lately. BTW, my notes assume that the most pessimistic camps of opinion are correct but add in a dimension that most folks do not identify. I am a microbiologist by training, with plenty of epidemiological experience. Admittedly, that does not make me an expert but I remain pretty objective about what I experienced. Precautions are simple while suffering the experience itself could be rather trying no matter how much character it builds! Sadly, I cannot offer guarantees, only probabilities.

I do not wish to hijack (further) this most excellent thread at this point. You can feel free to post any of my responses to any PM for others' opinions. (It could get contentious although I am generally diplomatic!)

Buen Camino in any event!

B

I'd be interested to know more. I've searched a little and it sounds like a myth, but I'm always up for evidence to enlighten a discussion, especially if it will help us all. You are correct on the impact of a stomach bug on a family (I had a bad reaction to some goats cheese in France recently!)

Just throwing my, perhaps unwanted, opinion about tummy bugs amongst pilgrims into the mix here: I personally think that a main culprit is also the food pilgrims carry, sometimes for days, in their back packs. And those back packs can heat up quickly and then the lovely chorizo (pork meat!) becomes - less lovely. Buen Camino, SY

Hi, @Paul_L,

Ill from French goat cheese? Man, that is terrible - I cannot get enough of that when I am in-country! My sympathies....

Okay, I wish to point out that once on the Meseta, you need not be paranoid. Spain is a first-world country with good public health practice. Five-star hotels and cruise lines have had their own problems with food poisoning including the topic I address below, all widely publicized. Travel does have its hazards.

I am just noting that, based upon my observations, the usual low rate of acute gastroenteritis was increased for a while past Burgos before declining again past Leon.

Yes, water is likely a problem for some people…. just a change in mineral composition upsets many people. And, yes, based upon the data some people must have had the more traditional forms of food poisoning…avoidance of those (to the best of my limited ability) is addressed in the link to “general food safety rules” below.

The “extra dimension” that I referenced earlier deals with norovirus which I should have expanded on in that post.

A nasty bug, highly infectious. Peak case rate (N. Hemisphere) is November-March which overlaps precisely my experience and now yours. From what I remember from the literature, it accounted for anywhere from 16% to over 40% of the gastroenteritis cases in N. Spain in three or four studies over recent years. (Again, GI distress is not a huge problem in Spain, the reference numbers above relate to the percent of total gastroenteritis cases which are small compared to the population.)

For an adult, an infection is a really bad, but thankfully short-lived, experience. For small children, the accompanying dehydration resulting from infection can be dangerous. That is the only reason I brought up the topic - - it is difficult to render care when the adults are sick as well.

Unlike most tummy bugs, it can be easily picked up from inert surfaces such as doorknobs and faucet handles. And those are the least-suspected (by the traveler) places where it can be found, especially in a W/C, which brings us to my point. (We are talking about an infectious dose that, applied to the head of pin, leaves a lot of barren real estate to spare.)

At W/C visits, everyone should have a means of:
- washing their hands thoroughly with soap and water (some, not most, cafes on the Meseta are missing soap during the “shoulder season”)

- alcohol gels are not a substitute (though better than nothing) for proper hand-washing!

- drying their hands (some, not most, cafes can be without paper towels during the “shoulder season”)

- one needs to be ready for the “some” instances!

Then, one uses paper towels (scavenged from the bar) or sanitary wipe (“Wet-Wipes”), to turn off the tap and open the door to the W/C before disposing of the towel/wipe before returning to the table. I think that @Margaret Butterworth is quite astute about her observation that you are well advised to get some hand cream - - for this as well as the damage from laundry.

This procedure just reduces an already low risk, the vast majority of pilgrims do not have a problem.

For general food safety rules you can check out my reply #17 (or read the whole thread) at:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/upset-stomachs.27158/#post-220075

I neglected to include regular sanitation of water bottles or bladders as some pointed out in that thread – great idea! And @SYates note about carrying un-tinned food around for long periods of time is also on point.

I hope that helps and - - Buen Camino!

B

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just throwing my, perhaps unwanted, opinion about tummy bugs amongst pilgrims into the mix here: I personally think that a main culprit is also the food pilgrims carry, sometimes for days, in their back packs. And those back packs can heat up quickly and then the lovely chorizo (pork meat!) becomes - less lovely. Buen Camino, SY

Pork and cheese can cause serious health problems in the wrong environment / temperature.

30+ sunscreen
50+ sunscreen
24hr frizz control
Vit E cream
Hand and nail restore
Calendula cream

Hi -i thought you were joking .Thats my judgemental non camino self ! It sounded like my son who arrived here with 26 pieces of extra luggage on flight ,with wife and 2 children ,to live for a while .4 train sets etc etc .Ditch the lot except for the sun cream .buen camino .I think you re great doing it with the 5 kids ,but it will be fantastic (without the extra gear )

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back