• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arriving at Biarritz Airport.

martina Mc Donald

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 3rd 2023
Hello I have just booked 2 flights to arrive in Biarritz Sept 3rd at 17.40, this is a surprise for my husband as he has always wanted to do part of the camino, my worry is how do I get from the Airport to St Jean Pied du Port and if there are trains would they run as late as this on a Sunday, I am starting to panic :) and really am looking to you all for some help and guidance, we only have 5 days there so need to be time efficient as possible, would it be easier to book a taxi to take us there, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There's a company called Express Bourricot that operates a shuttle from Biarritz Airport to St Jean Pied de Port.

You can also look at bus and train options.

You aren't leaving for 9 months - it's far too early to panic! You have plenty of time to do your research, and we are here to help.

You will be starting the Camino during the busiest week of the year for pilgrims starting from St Jean. I would recommend that you book your accommodations up through Pamplona on advance. Again, you have plenty of time to research your options. However, if you want to split the first stage over the Pyrenees you will need to book at either Orisson or Auberge Borda as soon as you can

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There's a company called Express Bourricot that operates a shuttle from Biarritz Airport to St Jean Pied de Port.

You can also look at bus and train options.

You aren't leaving for 9 months - it's far too early to panic! You have plenty of time to do your research, and we are here to help.
Thanks a million , I can relax now ,, I am so excited to give him this as a present on Christmas , think I will buy him a sleeping bag as a clue .. thanks so much for taking the time to reply to me

You will be starting the Camino during the busiest week of the year for pilgrims starting from St Jean. I would recommend that you book your accommodations up through Pamplona on advance. Again, you have plenty of time to research your options. However, if you want to split the first stage over the Pyrenees you will need to book at either Orisson or Auberge Borda as soon as you can
I have not even looked at the map yet , just know starting from St Jean Pied Du Port , and only have Sunday - Friday , I would love to split the first stage and go over the Pyrenees ,, I will look at booking either of these but again silly question , what day would I need to book those for ? sorry that I am asking such stupid questions

I have not even looked at the map yet , just know starting from St Jean Pied Du Port , and only have Sunday - Friday , I would love to split the first stage and go over the Pyrenees ,, I will look at booking either of these but again silly question , what day would I need to book those for ? sorry that I am asking such stupid questions
Since you will be arriving late afternoon you will want to spend the night in St Jean. Then book Orisson or Borda for the next day. Orisson is only dorms with bunk beds, Borda has one private double room.

If neither of those work for you, you can book two nights in SJPDP and use Express Bourricot's Mountain Shuttle to walk part way the first day, return to St Jean, then be shuttled back to where you left off thd first day.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Rome to Rio shows bus, train times and providers (VERIFY the times with each company) and taxi fares and schedules for the 3 rd Sept.
Going by these and your arrival times you should make it to SJPP :) (this is only my opinion taxi and train from Bayonne not the cheapest but kind of door to door.)

I arrive Biarritz on May 2nd and was all set to use Express Burricot; but my flight time changed to an arrival time of 18.45 contacted them and their reply stated they did not pick up after 18.00 hours i still have to be in SJPP on the 2nd (cant connect with last train) so using a taxi service www.biarritzairporttransfers.com who were suggested to me by Express Burricot 130 Euros but similar set up where price goes down if you find someone to share.
Like Trecile said you have lots of time and don't panic.
Have a wonderful time all will be fine
Buen Camino
Woody

Rome to Rio shows bus, train times and providers (VERIFY the times with each company) and taxi fares and schedules for the 3 rd Sept.
Going by these and your arrival times you should make it to SJPP :) (this is only my opinion taxi and train from Bayonne not the cheapest but kind of door to door.)

I arrive Biarritz on May 2nd and was all set to use Express Burricot; but my flight time changed to an arrival time of 18.45 contacted them and their reply stated they did not pick up after 18.00 hours i still have to be in SJPP on the 2nd (cant connect with last train) so using a taxi service www.biarritzairporttransfers.com who were suggested to me by Express Burricot 130 Euros but similar set up where price goes down if you find someone to share.
Like Trecile said you have lots of time and don't panic.
Have a wonderful time all will be fine
Buen Camino
Woody
Thanks so much Woody , starting to see a plan formulating and trying not to panic ,, I am sure I will be asking you lots more questions if you don't mind :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For accommodation in SJPP check out Booking.com and Gronze (chrome translates to English) they are helpful for planning Camino.
Even the best reviews are only a personal opinion but if they are all positive for the majority take a chance.
It also depends on how much you want to spend.
I have booked these two for SJPP
Les Chemins d'Elika and Maison Fleurie

Should add that train tickets are no yet available it appears for Sept to far in advance i think but the 19.29 (the only one that fits you timescale) train appears to be the last to SJPP so all eggs in one basket so to speak!
If that's cancelled probs only option is the same as mine.
Woody

For accommodation in SJPP check out Booking.com and Gronze (chrome translates to English) they are helpful for planning Camino.
Even the best reviews are only a personal opinion but if they are all positive for the majority take a chance.
It also depends on how much you want to spend.
I have booked these two for SJPP
Les Chemins d'Elika and Maison Fleurie

Should add that train tickets are no yet available it appears for Sept to far in advance i think but the 19.29 (the only one that fits you timescale) train appears to be the last to SJPP so all eggs in one basket so to speak!
If that's cancelled probs only option is the same as mine.
Woody
Thanks Woody , will take a look at these two and get one of them booked , you have been amazing with so much help and advice ,,

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, if you plan private accommodation you won't need to carry a sleeping bag or towel. If it's albergues/hostals you intend to stay a silk liner will do, weighs minimal. Weather will be warm still then.
Buen camino.

Hello I have just booked 2 flights to arrive in Biarritz Sept 3rd at 17.40, this is a surprise for my husband as he has always wanted to do part of the camino, my worry is how do I get from the Airport to St Jean Pied du Port and if there are trains would they run as late as this on a Sunday, I am starting to panic :) and really am looking to you all for some help and guidance, we only have 5 days there so need to be time efficient as possible, would it be easier to book a taxi to take us there, any help will be greatly appreciated.
There is a city bus stop outside the Barritz airport. You catch one that will drop you off at the bridge between Barritz and Bayone. You walk across the bridge to the train station. 300 yards maybe? Then catch a train to SJPP. If I recall correctly, the bus # is 30? You'd need to verify that.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, if you plan private accommodation you won't need to carry a sleeping bag or towel. If it's albergues/hostals you intend to stay a silk liner will do, weighs minimal. Weather will be warm still then.
Buen camino.
Thanks so much I plan to stay in the albergues/hostals so great shout out for the silk liner , everyone is so helpful here :)

There is a city bus stop outside the Barritz airport. You catch one that will drop you off at the bridge between Barritz and Bayone. You walk across the bridge to the train station. 300 yards maybe? Then catch a train to SJPP. If I recall correctly, the bus # is 30? You'd need to verify that.
Brilliant thanks for sharing , I will verify the bus number , cannot believe how lovely and helpful everyone is here :)

Just a thought while i was out with the dog!
Might still be worth contacting Express Bourricot as your flight arrives at 17.45 that might be their last pick up, whereas for mine i won't get to them until 19.15 a lot later!
The two places in SJPP are the most expensive up to Estella from their i will try and wing it!
Even in Albergues /Hostals i have so far booked private rooms as i don't think i could cope sleeping in a bunk room.
Will still have the pleasure of others company without the pain Ha! Ha!

I have a silk liner and a lightweight quilt as using a mix of accommodation albergues, hostals and hotels.
Quite a few say it can be bl**dy freezing in May i think snow at higher parts of the Camino plus i am a old cold fish!
Woody

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Since you will be arriving late afternoon you will want to spend the night in St Jean. Then book Orisson or Borda for the next day. Orisson is only dorms with bunk beds, Borda has one private double room.

If neither of those work for you, you can book two nights in SJPDP and use Express Bourricot's Mountain Shuttle to walk part way the first day, return to St Jean, then be shuttled back to where you left off thd first day.
Not sure if this is still true as we stayed at Orrison in 2013 but they did have two private rooms with a big bed. Cama matrimonial. They were on the way to the back where they had tents set up for overflow.

they did have two private rooms with a big bed
Shhhhhhh, that’s one of the most valuable secrets on the entire Camino!!!! Don’t let anyone know that! 😎

It was in use in 2019, but they saved it as one of the last assigned beds so that it was available for pilgrims who needed it for medical, mobility, or other similar reasons.

On my first Camino I arrived at Orisson with a peregrina I had met at the Madrid train station. She was older and looked frailer than she actually was. They assigned us this small room with two single beds. It's on the main level with the other dorms. I don't think that you can reserve it though - it's the luck of the draw.

20160821_152516_copy_1008x756.jpg

Last edited:
My friend and I used a shuttle service along with 5 other people...the max is 8 people. The shuttle arrives when you land. They will stand there with a board. The company is Express Bourricot....tel # (+33) 6 61 96 04 76......email
contact@expressbourricot.com

I grabbed a cab, asked three others with backpacks if they wanted to share the cab and in an hour we were all in SJPdP. Not sure what the cost is today. Still, the cost can be split 4 ways.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is an excellent guidebook here in the Camino store. Highly recommended as it has maps and albergues in each town. Highly recommended for any Camino.
Thanks Charles ,, do you mean the Camino Store when you arrive or is there an online service that I can order one now .. so appreciate your help.

I grabbed a cab, asked three others with backpacks if they wanted to share the cab and in an hour we were all in SJPdP. Not sure what the cost is today. Still, the cost can be split 4 ways.
Hi Michelle , thanks so much for that , I am sure there would be taxis outside if I miss the last train ,, loving how friendly and helpful everyone is here :)

Thanks Charles ,, do you mean the Camino Store when you arrive or is there an online service that I can order one now .. so appreciate your help.
I think that he means the Camino forum store.

Though there is a good pilgrim store in SJPDP.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just a thought while i was out with the dog!
Might still be worth contacting Express Bourricot as your flight arrives at 17.45 that might be their last pick up, whereas for mine i won't get to them until 19.15 a lot later!
The two places in SJPP are the most expensive up to Estella from their i will try and wing it!
Even in Albergues /Hostals i have so far booked private rooms as i don't think i could cope sleeping in a bunk room.
Will still have the pleasure of others company without the pain Ha! Ha!

I have a silk liner and a lightweight quilt as using a mix of accommodation albergues, hostals and hotels.
Quite a few say it can be bl**dy freezing in May i think snow at higher parts of the Camino plus i am a old cold fish!
Woody
Hi Woody , love your dog , we have a black lab too , Dexter Chewbacca aptly named by my twin boys ,, I will take your advice and contact the Express Bourricot and see what time their last pick up is .

I think that he means the Camino forum store.

Though there is a good pilgrim store in SJPDP.

Hi Woody , love your dog , we have a black lab too , Dexter Chewbacca aptly named by my twin boys ,, I will take your advice and contact the Express Bourricot and see what time their last pick up is .
Can I just ask when you reach your last day of the walk , will you get a train back to the Airport at Biarritz , or take a taxi ? again something I have not factored into my planning .

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Michelle , thanks so much for that , I am sure there would be taxis outside if I miss the last train ,, loving how friendly and helpful everyone is here :)
I have been there in both May and August and there were no trains to SJPdP. Luckily, the taxis were just outside the front door of the airport, as they usually are, and were the transfer with the least hassle and the least amount of time taken to get there.

I have been there in both May and August and there were no trains to SJPdP. Luckily, the taxis were just outside the front door of the airport, as they usually are, and were the transfer with the least hassle and the least amount of time taken to get there.
Thanks Michelle , last stupid question from me , can't believe I booked flights and never thought of logisitics , when you finished your walk , did you get a train back to the Airport ,,from the last place you had walked to

Can I just ask when you reach your last day of the walk , will you get a train back to the Airport at Biarritz , or take a taxi ? again something I have not factored into my planning .
Use Rome2Rio.com to find transport. How many actual walking days will you have? You mentioned five days in your first post. Does that include your travel days?
If you stop at Orisson or Borda on your first walking day you will probably get to Pamplona on the fourth day, which is a good place to find transport from.

According to Rome2Rio there's a bus that takes 3 hrs 15 min from Pamplona to Biarritz.
Of course, that schedule may change by September

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Use Rome2Rio.com to find transport. How many actual walking days will you have? You mentioned five days in your first post. Does that include your travel days?
If you stop at Orisson or Borda on your first walking day you will probably get to Pamplona on the fourth day, which is a good place to find transport from.

According to Rome2Rio there's a bus that takes 3 hrs 15 min from Pamplona to Biarritz.
Of course, that schedule may change by September

Thanks so much we should get to Pamplona on the fourth day , brilliant advice ,, a million thank you's

I've used Express Burricot to SJPDP, great service. Another time arriving at 4pm approx to Santiago airport I overheard a passenger saying he was walking out to Finnistere. We both shared a taxi to the start of the walk and got 12/14kms done that evening.
Also check out Camino Society Ireland.
caminosocietyireland.ie

I've used Express Burricot to SJPDP, great service. Another time arriving at 4pm approx to Santiago airport I overheard a passenger saying he was walking out to Finnistere. We both shared a taxi to the start of the walk and got 12/14kms done that evening.
Also check out Camino Society Ireland.
caminosocietyireland.ie
Great shout , thanks so much ,, I can hardly do my own job I keep checking in to the forum am loving this :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Martina!
Hopefully my last day will be in Santiago flying back from there if I get that far.
Was going to go 2024 to spend my 70th on Camino but cant wait that long going while i still have a pulse!!!:)

Woody

Last edited:
Hi Martina!
Hopefully my last day will be in Santiago flying back from there if I get that far.
Was going to go next year to spend my 70th on Camino but cant wait that long going while i still have a pulse!!!:)

Woody
That is such a great idea and I am sure you will be back to celebrate your 70th there :)

Definitely, call in to the Camino Society in St James' St Church, Dublin. Only open two more Saturdays before Christmas, but will return to Thu - Sat in the New Year at some stage. First Saturday of the month, Camino Blessing in the Santiago Chapel. Special Pilgrim passports - pricy, but special. Plus, collective experience and wisdom shared freely by volunteers on duty!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks Michelle , last stupid question from me , can't believe I booked flights and never thought of logisitics , when you finished your walk , did you get a train back to the Airport ,,from the last place you had walked to
I did take a train from Logroño, as I had damaged the quad muscles in my left leg. It was an overnight sleeper and at the time cost 63 euro. So, like a bed and a non-stop taxi for one price.
Once in SdC, I stayed a couple of days at the Hotel Capital de Galicia. Beautiful little hotel with pink marble walls, close to the main modern Mall where you can buy just about anything you may need. On arrival, I booked my homebound flights online (free wifi), and the Owner of the Hotel printed out my flight documents for me and washed my clothes at no extra cost. Daily charge was 30 euro. As I had paid 35 euro at Orisson, I find that better value was found at Hotel Capital de Galicia.

I did take a train from Logroño, as I had damaged the quad muscles in my left leg. It was an overnight sleeper and at the time cost 63 euro. So, like a bed and a non-stop taxi for one price.
Once in SdC, I stayed a couple of days at the Hotel Capital de Galicia. Beautiful little hotel with pink marble walls, close to the main modern Mall where you can buy just about anything you may need. On arrival, I booked my homebound flights online (free wifi), and the Owner of the Hotel printed out my flight documents for me and washed my clothes at no extra cost. Daily charge was 30 euro. As I had paid 35 euro at Orisson, I find that better value was found at Hotel Capital de Galicia.
Thanks again Michelle for some great tips and advice ,, I stupidly booked return tickets so will plan how to get back to the Airport and not miss our flights

Definitely, call in to the Camino Society in St James' St Church, Dublin. Only open two more Saturdays before Christmas, but will return to Thu - Sat in the New Year at some stage. First Saturday of the month, Camino Blessing in the Santiago Chapel. Special Pilgrim passports - pricy, but special. Plus, collective experience and wisdom shared freely by volunteers on duty!
Thanks Kirkie , I did email the society so hopefully they will get back to me , I may have to go and visit after the New Year when I have more time :)

€60,-
Martina, organised by the Camino Society Ireland there will be information days early in the year, usually February/March. Very informative, meet new and experienced pilgrims. Dates are posted on the website in the new year.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back