• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arriving at St Jean Pied de Port on 11-Oct

josephleaf

Hi!

After much consideration I've decided to walk Camino Frances from St Jean to Santiago.

I'm coming from Hong Kong and will be landing in Paris at 6am. I'll then catch the TGV to Bayonne, and upon arrival, ran to the next platform within 7 minutes to catch the TER to St Jean Pied de Port and hopefully arrive at St Jean around 5pm.

I'll definitely stay the night at St Jean, after 24 hours of continuous travelling.

I have some questions:
- How long does it take for the walk between St Jean to Orisson? I plan to start as late as possible and would like to stay over at Orisson. I'm 30+, have not trained specifically for the walk but hike occasionally.

- Lista de Correos:
miscellaneous-topics/topic3992.html
Is this service still available? Can I send stuff from overseas and expect the package to be there for me when I show up?

- November:
I would be arriving at Santiago in mid-Nov, most probably. Would the refugios still be opened towards the last stretch on the camino? I'm taking a leave-it-up-to-God approach, but some extra info would be greatly appreciated.

- Also, any comment with regard to the weather? I seem to be packing everything I have from spring to winter and having a little problem to keep the pack light.

Buen Camino,
Joseph

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Joseph, it would be helpful to see a list of what you're packing so we can give comments?
Even though the weather may be chilly, when you will really be cold will be AFTER walking, so in my opinion, I'd go for clothes you can layer and peel off. Even when it's cold out, once you begin walking, you warm up quickly and soon find you don't need heavy clothing.

Honestly, when packing, "less is more." There is nothing you might need that you can't buy in Spain or find in the "Free Box" along the way!

For me, in the coldest weather, I found a lightweight rainsuit/windsuit over a few layers to be more efficient than a heavy jacket, which I never even took out of my pack.

Regarding your trip, you will love the train ride from Paris... it's spectacular! And don't stress if you don't make the 7 minute connection. You will find lodging and can head out next morning.

Also, I'm glad to see you're stopping at Orisson. Did you make reservations? It fills up fast. It is only a few kilometers from SJPP, but to me, makes the difference between that first day being "hell day" or "manageable" so kudos to you for making this decision.

Remember that Esprit du Chemin closes at the end of September.
There are other albergues to stay in though.

Orisson might not be open - it is only open from April to October - email them to find out before planning to stay there.
You might be able to stay at Huntto instead, about 8km up the hill.
I have a winter packing list on my blog - you can check it out here.

http://amawalker.blogspot.com/2009/10/w ... inter.html

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The last pilgrim evening at Orisson is the 22nd October. It was close then until April 2011

Thanks for the pointers.

I also just realised (10 minutes ago...) that Esprit du Chemin is already closed. I'm trying to get in touch with this as they have taken my reservation online all the way until i'm required to make payment:
http://www.aubergedupelerin.com/

This is the only other Auberge on the Brierley guide, so i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Jean-Jacques (of Orisson) has replied and space is available. I'm just wait a confirmation of my flight and i'll confirm the reservation with them. Really looking forward to the stay there in the mountain!

My list:
3 x quick-dry hiking t-shirt
3 x pants (2 x summer, 1 x winter)
1 x merino wool
1 x winter running 'shell' (don't really know how to describe it...)
1 x vest, shell type
1 x wind breaker
1 x poncho
1 x sleeping bag, with a silk inner lining
1 x hiking pole
gloves, scarf, medications, toiletries, camera, mini-tripod, sleeping clothes

So far the weight is about 7kg, without toiletries, camera and tripod (200g). I'm quite tempted to bring only 2 pairs of pants but i thought it's always good to have a pair of spare consider the possibility of rain.

I'm quite worried about the high-mountain stage on the 3rd/4th week, as i'm not used to single-digit kind of temperature. I'd just wear everything i've got if i need to go out in the evening, instead of carrying a thick jacket all the way. Or i'd just stay in my sleep bag. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello and Welcome to the forum Joseph.

The only suggestion i would make is to take 2 t-shirts and one long sleeve shirt.

Good luck, and God bless.
David, Victoria, Canada

Finally leaving tonight!

The flight to Paris will be delayed and would only arrive at 7am. Will then need to find my way to Montparanesse Gare, have my ticket problem sorted out and find the platform by 9.45am!

So I do not know exactly where i would be on the first night in France, but i've booked 2 nights' stay with Orisson to slow myself down and purge all the 'city-ness' inside before starting the walk on 14-Oct.

Joseph

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back