• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arriving Good Friday or Easter

MDTazWalks

Time of past OR future Camino
St. Jean Pied de Port to Leon (May-June 2012) and
Leon - Astorga, with kids, (July 2012) and
Astorga to Finisterre (March 2013)
I walked from SJPP to Astorga in 2012, and I have about 270 K left to finish to Santiago. I've been able to clear my schedule of work and other commitments at the end of this coming March 2013. I organized this before I realized that Easter is on March 31st. If I make some guesses at my arrival in Santiago (allowing for a slow day or a rest day) it could be either Good Friday or Easter Sunday. While this might seem propitious to some, I lean toward the solitude and would rather arrive to a quieter welcome, which means easier access to the cathedral and more options for lodging.

Can anyone give me an idea of what Santiago will be like on the weekend between Good Friday and Easter?

Perhaps the universe hurls at me what I need, so I doubt I'm going to change my itinerary. But I could move it up a few days, and I wonder if that's advised. Thanks to any of you who might comment.

MD

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
MD Your post directed me to your blog - have just had a quick look - enjoyed reading it and reading of your children's experiences on the Camino. I will give it proper attention later.

We're heading on our 1st visit to the Camino over Easter weekend - 5 adults 50 upwards and our (between us) four children (aged 12-13). Starting in StJPdeP and starting with what I understand from other people's posts, to be the two hardest days of the Camino Frances! Hope we don't regret it!

We have booked accommodation and luggage transfer everywhere - maybe we'll be brave enough to 'rough' it on future visits.

One of my current concerns is that many places for taking a coffee/food break may be closed on, I gather, Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Easter Monday ... I am not sure how we will cope.

I am looking forward to the whole thing but, naturally, apprehensive ... especially as it is my idea to go and so I will have to take the 'flak' if we run into difficulties!

I have been on the Camino twice during Holy Week. Actually, I don't remember any thing being closed. The bars and restaurants were open...at least as far as I noticed. I did not find any problem.
Don't worry too much. Let it happen.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thanks Grayland - I am not good for 'not worrying' but maybe I will learn to be on the camino.

Are you guys starting in SJPP during easter, or planning to arrive in Santiago during Easter?

I ask because I'm arriving in Madri on the 1st of March and I'm looking for fellow pilgrims to share transportation from pamplona to sjpp on this date...

Planning to start my 3rd Camino either the 2nd or the 3rd of March which means I might be around Santiago during the wholy week!

Good luck you all!

:)

We are starting in StJPdeP at Easter but the original poster is finishing in SdeC at Easter if I read her post correctly.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Don't know how you are planning on getting to SSJP but do know, Good Friday starts in Pamplona about 1700 Thursday afternoon when everything except the bars and restaurants shut down since its party time! Lots of racket, commotion, and jubilance until morning meaning sunrise!! The last bus for Roncesvales is like 1730. Good Friday is a national holiday and buses etc few and far between if at all-2010 there were none to be had. Saturday a bit better some public transportation and Easter is well Easter again hard to get around on public transportation. Plan well or you may begin your Camino from Pamplona since there may be no other way out. The choir singing during the Easter mass in Pamplona is local and very very very good! Many considerations and a lot of good luck needed. Buen Camino

Hi!

I finished my last Camino Frances on Easter Sunday last year and there were no real problems at all. The Camino from Sarria didn't seem overly busy over Holy Week. The only problem I encountered was that I couldn't get one of the pilgrim rooms at the seminario in Santiago, so had to book a 'non pilgrim' room instead which was a bit more expensive.

I would imagine the Botafumeiro will swing on Easter Sunday at the cathedral, so that's something to enjoy.

Buen Camino!

I got the train down to SJPP on Easter Sunday from Paris last time, we hadn't even thought about Easter when we booked our flight. Didn't have any difficulties... Didn't notice anything was closed, and we had only bought our train tickets two days earlier and had no problems getting them. Really the biggest issue it caused was having to deal with long weekend crowds in Paris!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Even as I hit "submit" I had the feeling that it doesn't really matter whether the weekend is nuts or quiet, somehow just get on the route and the right things will happen. Though I add a special Tthanks to Tyrrek -- I hadn't considered that the Botafumeiro might swing during mass on Easter Sunday so I'm feeling actually a bit excited about the timing of my arrival in Santiago. Much appreciated.

MDTazWalks said:
Even as I hit "submit" I had the feeling that it doesn't really matter whether the weekend is nuts or quiet, somehow just get on the route and the right things will happen. Though I add a special Tthanks to Tyrrek -- I hadn't considered that the Botafumeiro might swing during mass on Easter Sunday so I'm feeling actually a bit excited about the timing of my arrival in Santiago. Much appreciated.
On both my Camino Franceses I've stayed just outside Santiago around Lavacolla, so that I can arrive not too sweaty and smelly and can attend the pilgrims' Mass at noon. It's a great end to your Camino whether you're religious, Catholic, or not.

Have a wonderful Camino, arrive when you arrive, and in the cathedral say a prayer for those who you have met and helped you along the way, and those you have helped. :D Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back