• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

arriving in biarritz, should I head straight to sjpdp

Nigel Rosewell

Time of past OR future Camino
never walked the Camino before
I arrive at Biarritz airport at 17.05 in May will there be enough time to get contentions to Gare De Bayonne and on to sjpdp? Should stay in Biarritz or Bayonne over night or should I head on straight through to Sjpdp spend the night there and start the adventure the next day? I'd rather get straight to sjpdp but am i needlessly rushing ? Questions questions questions

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I arrive at Biarritz airport at 17.05 in May will there be enough time to get contentions to Gare De Bayonne and on to sjpdp? Should stay in Biarritz or Bayonne over night or should I head on straight through to Sjpdp spend the night there and start the adventure the next day? I'd rather get straight to sjpdp but am i needlessly rushing ? Questions questions questions

This is a frequently posed question and, rather than over-complicating it, wait and see is probably the best approach - since the flight arrival time on the day might be different from the expected

Once the flight arrives, it doesn't take long to reach the bus stops outside the terminal (even quicker if you have only carry-on luggage) - you will then find other pilgrims in the same boat as you
The bus to Bayonne gare stops along the way so it might be worth sharing a taxi to make certain you catch the last train to SJPP

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I doubt you will make it to Gare Bayonne in order to catch the last train at 1806.

Its not hopeless ...
-the train may leave late ... it waits for the train from Paris.
-the train leaves Cambo les Bains at 1834 ... so you might try taking a taxi from the airport to Cambo les Bains to intercept.
-there is a train from Gare Biarritz leaving 1745 that arrives at Gare Bayonne at 1755. This is much faster than the bus which definitely won't get you to Gare Bayonne in time. There is a Chronoplus bus C from the airport to Gare Biarritz, however I would suggest a taxi.

In any event, given your time constraints, if I were you I'd have a plan B.

Note 5 May 2016 is Ascension day, a major holiday in France. It is possible that the TER train does not run that day; typically there is no TGV train service ... too soon to tell as the schedule is not yet posted. This will affect availability of accommodations ...

Alternatively, plan to get as far as Bayonne on the day of arrival. Stay at a hostal or small hotel near the train station. There are several very good places to stay. Search here for recommendations (hostals in Bayonne), then consult booking.com. Many of us find this site particularly helpful along the Camino Frances.

The next morning, take the first or second train to Saint Jean Pied de Port (SJPdP) for the day. I believe there are four trains per day from Bayonne to Saint Jean Pied de Port. I found the times from Bayonne to be 0745, 1110, 1455, and 1806. Check the schedules here: http://www.ter.sncf.com/aquitaine

That places you in SJPdP in plenty of time to get to the Pilgrim Office, check-in get a Credencial if needed, get your scallop shell, and any advisories regarding the Napoleon Pass and the Valcarlos Route, and to find overnight albergue lodging, and start the next day.

However, my personal recommendation, given your arrival at Biarritz, is to make a reservation in Bayonne for one night, and again at Saint Jean Pied de Port to stay in a hostal or hotel in SJPdP for one to two nights, so you have time to acclimate better, and tour this charming and wonderful French town. There are shops to obtain any last minute items you need both in town and "on the flats", to the left coming out of the train station. You can get a map locally. I use booking.com top make advance reservations here. Again, use the Forum search engine to search for "hotels Saint Jean Pied de Port."

This town has been sending pilgrims on their way for over a thousand years. Attend the Pilgrim Mass the night before. It is a ceremony that reaches back a millennia and should not be missed. All faiths are welcome. The Pilgrim Office , at #39 Rue de Citadelle will have the specific information you need.

I hope this helps.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Express Bourricot is a fabulous service also provides suitcase delivery all the way to Santiago. This way, you can ship all your "tourist clothes: and whatever souvenirs you bought in St. Jean down the road to be waiting for you when you arrive.

Caroline's service is competitive with sending a similar volume and weight by the poste. Plus, you KNOW it is being hand-delivered and kept in a locked room until you arrive to claim it. You cannot find a more reliable means of sending a full suitcase to Santiago from St. Jean. If you are with others, combine your stuff into one suitcase or duffle bag to split the cost. Caroline runs this service and is super easy to contact. She also speaks good English.

Here is her website: http://www.expressbourricot.com/en/ (Also in English)

This is a "no-brainer" solution to sending stuff down the road.

The post above mentions Caroline's ride-sharing program. To keep costs down, she tries to form car loads of pilgrims headed for St. Jean from Biarritz or Bayonne at the same time. If you are somewhat flexible and there are enough folks in a vehicle, to share the cost, this is rather cheap and convenient.

However, if money is no object, book a direct ride, and consider it a guided tour of the Aquitaine region, leading from the Bay of Biscay to St. Jean Pied de Port, in the foothills of the Pyrenees.

In fact St. Jean Pied de Port means "Saint Jean at the Foot of the Pass." In this case it refers to the Napoleon Pass over the Pyrenees.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Or try http://www.expressbourricot.com/wp-...ROM-BIARRITZ-TO-ST-JEAN-PIED-DE-PORT-2016.pdf
With any luck it will cost less than €20 and it will bring you right into SJPP.
Aidan
We land in Biarritz at 17.05 and are going straight to SJPdP on the same day, it's not too late at all. I booked the transport with Expressbourricot, so if you fly on the 5th of May, we can share the transport at ca. 17.30 from Biarritz. So, no problem with this date, but true, no train from Bayonne to SJPdP that late in the afternoon. Anyway sharing the taxi is very convenient, we'll be in St. Jean in 1 hour. If you join us with the Bourricot don't forget to book in advance

I would suggest - stay the night in SJPdP, we did and started walking the next morning. It’s a lovely town, visited Pilgrim office, got our shell etc and there was a great Camino buzz about the place as soon as we arrived! We had booked Caroline’s taxi from the airport (Express Bourricot), as well as others who were also starting walk next morning. I think the taxi took 6 people and it was very reasonably priced

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back