• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arriving in Coruna at midnight...? Early start Ferrol?

elzi

Hi all,

I'm really rusty at this, not been on a camino for approx 5 years eek! So I have a spare week and I'm thinking of walking the Ingles. Unfortunately the only flight I can get lands about midnight at Coruna. I'm happy enough to get the first train/bus in the morning to Ferrol and start walking but what can I do from about midnight until 6am? I'm guessing there is no transport, will there be taxis? Is it too late to check into a hotel at that time? Does anyone have any ideas?

Also, extra question. I think I saw it might be possible to get a stamp somewhere in Ferrol in the early morning but I'm assuming not a credencial. Do I need to find one of those in advance...can I get one posted ASAP from anywhere?

Thanks for any help...I'm beginning to wonder if this plan is a bit crazy...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Most hotels I have stayed in in Galicia have 24 hour reception. There was a hotel called Hotel Moon in Coruna just a few 100M from the bus station. A few years ago we arrived late, about 10pm, stayed there and then caught the first bus at about 06:30 to Ferrol (along with the party goers returning from Coruna :eek:) and started walking that day. Credential wise you can order from the Forum Shop with Ivar.
https://www.santiagodecompostela.me...passport-from-the-pilgrims-office-in-santiago

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola Elzi I'd agree with Mig - stay the night in Coruña. You can look on Booking.com to see which hotels have 24h reception - they may be very used to having late-arrival fliers come in at night. Then walk or take a taxi to the bus station the next morning to catch the bus you want to Ferrol.

The other thing you could do would be to enjoy Coruña for a couple days, then walk to Santiago from there.
Buen Camino!
Faith

Hi Thanks all!

I think I will try to book a hotel in Coruna with 24 hr reception and hope for the best, My language skills are terrible so I hope I don't have to negotiate too much if I miss check in!!

Funny story: I actually tried to walk the Ingles almost exactly a decade ago. My mum and I walked around both Ferrol and Coruna looking for the start, or even a shell/yellow arrow sign for ages without success. We even went into the tourist office and asked and they claimed to have never heard of the route! We had to give up in the end. :'(

I'm hoping things will go better a decade on (is it waymarked now?) but having previously spent many hours tramping around both Coruna and Ferrol in the Galician rain I don't feel the need to hang around. If I can find the start I will be walking...! :-D

Fingers crossed! Off to book stuff and getting excited!

Hi Thanks all!

I think I will try to book a hotel in Coruna with 24 hr reception and hope for the best, My language skills are terrible so I hope I don't have to negotiate too much if I miss check in!!

Funny story: I actually tried to walk the Ingles almost exactly a decade ago. My mum and I walked around both Ferrol and Coruna looking for the start, or even a shell/yellow arrow sign for ages without success. We even went into the tourist office and asked and they claimed to have never heard of the route! We had to give up in the end. :'(

I'm hoping things will go better a decade on (is it waymarked now?) but having previously spent many hours tramping around both Coruna and Ferrol in the Galician rain I don't feel the need to hang around. If I can find the start I will be walking...! :-D

Fingers crossed! Off to book stuff and getting excited!
Camino Ingles is very well marked and you shouldn't have problem finding starting point in Ferrol in the old port:
2016-06-29 10.15.17.jpg

Starting point is slightly to the left (from this angle) from the white/red boats:
2016-06-29 10.19.17.jpg

Try to get @JohnnieWalker guidebook in the Resources section here on the forum or here:
https://www.csj.org.uk/planning-you...o-santiago/routes-in-spain/the-camino-ingles/
and you should be OK.

Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Aha super thanks KinkyOne!! So nice to have pictures! Definitely going to get the JohnnieWalker guide thanks!!

Also, just been off to book stuff and in case anyone else ever arrives on the same late night flight the Hotel Moon in Coruna tells me check-in at 00:30 hours will be fine! :)

Hola - I was just chatting with the hospitalera at Bruma this afternoon about that. When I first wrote the guide there were 1000 pilgrims who walked the route a YEAR! This year over 14000 pilgrims will walk it. And the numbers continue to increase.

John

Wow that's amazing!!

We couldn't find an English guide a decade ago (I think maybe there was some very basic CSJ guidance) and could find no one in either city that was aware of the route or could give us a clue where to begin. We ended up renting a car and driving around the coast though so it wasn't a wasted adventure. Excited to try again!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Aha super thanks KinkyOne!! So nice to have pictures! Definitely going to get the JohnnieWalker guide thanks!!
Just additional heads up that if you look at the first photo you will most likely come around the corner of the house on the right side of photo. Just continue walking with the port on your left hand side and soon you'll come to starting mojon which at this point shows you its back side. Otherwise just ask, locals know where the stone marker is.

Do you mean a credential or a sello (stamp). For a credential order from Ivar as Miguel_gp suggests, The hotel can stamp your credential

Do you mean a credential or a sello (stamp). For a credential order from Ivar as Miguel_gp suggests, The hotel can stamp your credential

Hi thanks, I've ordered a credential from Ivar now. I am a bit worried how to get a stamp as I'm not staying in a hotel in Ferrol. Probably arriving early morning in Ferrol but it looks like the church/tourist office don't open until ten?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi thanks, I've ordered a credential from Ivar now. I am a bit worried how to get a stamp as I'm not staying in a hotel in Ferrol. Probably arriving early morning in Ferrol but it looks like the church/tourist office don't open until ten?

No worries - many cafes will also have stamps. If you stop for a coffee or breakfast see if that place has a stamp; otherwise stop in at another place (even if you don't buy anything there) - many places are happy to have you use their stamp even if you're just passing by.

Buen Camino!

As @natefaith already mentioned just ask at the first bar for sello. It doesn't have to be specially Camino designed, usual business sello will do for obtaining the Compostela.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Starting point is slightly to the left (from this angle) from the white/red boats:

My first time in Ferrol I couldn't find it ... because it's across the street from the port, in front of the pharmacy. I kept walking up and down by the port and before finally gave up in frustration! @KinkyOne 's photo is extremely helpful. My second time in Ferrol I went by car and by chance parked RIGHT in front of the marker. That made me laugh out loud ... OF COURSE I park right in front of it when I'm NOT on Camino! :):p:) I noticed that Google Maps now has it marked as well (as "Início do Caminho Inglês para Santiago de Compostela"). Buen Camino!!

Greetings all posters above.

I've just returned from doing the Camino Ingles in May, so thought I'd share some of my memorable experiences related to the matters you’ve raised.

My route was Ferrol to SdC in 5 days. Doable, but demanding. I too found it difficult to find the starting marker, but had no problem obtaining my first sello from the nearby cafe/bar.

However, I had arrived late on Sunday night into A Coruna and stayed at Hostal Palas, across the road from the bus terminal. Convenient so I could catch an early bus to Ferrol in the morning. Unfortunately, the night-time receptionist I sensed took an immediate disliking to me, I think for not speaking Spanish. On checkout, he refused to take my bag into storage and hold it for me whilst I walked, as pre-arranged at the time of my booking. (I had a large bag for pre-Camino travel & took a backpack whilst walking) He suggested I try at the bus terminal, but at 6:00am in the dawn light there was no one around. Whilst considering my options of where to leave my bag, I noticed the bus to Ferrol so boarded to purchase my ticket, leaving my bag on the kerb outside. Before I could say "boo", after realising the driver spoke no English, the bus door closed and drove off. Stunned, all I could do was to 'wave my bag goodbye', and trust in 'the Camino provides', as I've often seen written in this forum. So challenged, trust it was for me; I gave up getting anxious. Thankfully I had written my email address on bag labels, so on my arrival at Pontedeume, I checked my email to find a message from the National Police, to say they had my bag stored at the Renfe train station. Considerable relief. And I was returning to A Coruna by train after my walk! Yes, the Camino provides.

But wait. There’s more about Hostal Palas.

I returned early the following Saturday to collect my bag, and the Police were most understanding. I now wished to sightsee A Coruna before my flight out that evening. So where to find a locker for the day – none at the train station and none at the bus terminal (only a bag check-in room with inconvenient open hours). So back to Hostal Palas. There I met the lady who took my original booking, and she was adamant she would not hold my bag for the day. I could, however, book a room. I left. I found the Hotel Plaza in the next street, and the young lady receptionist was without hesitation most helpful with my request. Even declining an offer of payment on my return later in the day. Guess which hotel gets my vote!

On my walk to Santiago I found all other locals most accommodating and helpful, even volunteering directions if I was in any doubt. On one occasion I was driven back to the correct route, having missed my exit from Betanzos. All I relied on map-wise was John Brierley’s guide (no phone GPS, as some appeared to be doing) – although lacking detail, it worked well enough for me.

I walked mostly alone, and saw few other peregrinos until day’s end at an albergue or hostal. I’d not booked but was fortunate to find a comfortable place to sleep every night. I guess there were between 40 or 50 peregrinos passing each day. I missed seeing the botafumeiro swing at the Friday evening mass (19th May), but I understand a generous benefactor may have since come forward to restore its use.

Betanzos is my pick of towns/cities along the way – a lovely village atmosphere centred on the piazza, very friendly people, and with all facilities including hospital. Though not all pharmacists speak English! Needed for attention to a blister.

Buen Camino to all readers,

peter

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back