• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arriving in Madrid

Daisyray2018

Time of past OR future Camino
19th May 2018 - Sarria to Santiago
I am leaving Johannesburg on 17th May to Vigo via Madrid - I arrive at Madrid at 6:15 a.m. and my connection to Vigo is at 7:35 - for all the seasoned travellers will I have enough time to make my connection - do I have to collect my baggage and go through customs at Madrid or is my baggage sent through to Vigo.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sorry I can’t answer your questions because I haven’t made a connecting flight at Madrid. A lot will be depend on whether you are changing airlines and also which arrival terminal and which departure terminal.

If you haven’t already found it, this link has some useful info about making connections at Madrid airport.
http://www.aeropuertomadrid-barajas.com/eng/flight-connections.htm

All the best and buen camino.

Sorry I can’t answer your questions because I haven’t made a connecting flight at Madrid. A lot will be depend on whether you are changing airlines and also which arrival terminal and which departure terminal.

If you haven’t already found it, this link has some useful info about making connections at Madrid airport.
http://www.aeropuertomadrid-barajas.com/eng/flight-connections.htm

All the best and buen camino.
Thanks for the information - all these last minute questions ....eish

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
If your ticket is straight through then your bags may be collected in Vigo.
However, I'm pretty sure you'll have to go through customs in Madrid.
You probably WILL have to collect your bags.
You basically just show your passport, answer a few questions, and you're in.
But I"m just guessing.
The BEST way to find the answer would be to call your airline?

For people entering the EU / Schengen Zone for the first time, if you are making a direct flight connection at Madrid, your luggage should go automatically to Vigo. In the EU, people are cleared at passport control at the first place of landing (Madrid), and their luggage is cleared through customs at the final flight arrival destination (Vigo).

So, when I fly from the US to Santiago, via Madrid, I go through passport control at Madrid. Then I have to go through airline security again, before they permit me to proceed to my onward connecting flight to Santiago. Once I arrive at Santiago, I must proceed to a special baggage carousel for people like me, just arriving in the EU / Schengen Zone. Our bags are checked by customs officials there.

This contrasts with other countries, like the US, where everything is done at the first port of arrival, regardless of your connections.

All considered, I do NOT think you have enough time. I say this for two reasons.

1. Madrid Barajas airport is HUGE. Depending on connecting gates and terminals (there are four separate terminals), just getting from one gate to another could easily consume all your time.

2. Getting off the plane and through passport control might only take 10 - 15 minutes, as you must walk a long way to passport control.

3. Then you have to wait on line for security screening.

4. Then, you might have to wait for the underground tram (terminal 4 > 4S), or walk quite a distance to your connecting flight.

A clear example is my travel to Santiago when I travel from my home in Florida to Santiago. I try to fly Iberia, as (IMHO) it offers the best value for price and easiest connections.

Even with that home field advantage, getting from the arrival gate in T4, through passport control, wait in line for another security screening, then on the underground train to the satellite terminal (T4S), then walking the better part of a kilometer in the satellite terminal to find my departure gate takes at least 45 minutes. And I walk FAST making full use of moving walkways and every shortcut I am aware of.

Personally, having learned my lesson, I try to schedule a minimum two-hour connection at Barajas, just so I can freshen up in the restroom and have a decent cup of coffee and a croissant in the morning when I arrive.

This usually works heading over. But two weeks ago, coming home, I literally had to jog between connections, all in Terminal 4, going through departure passport control (WHAT a conga line!) and just made my departure gate...no coffee.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
For people entering the EU / Schengen Zone for the first time, if you are making a direct flight connection at Madrid, your luggage should go automatically to Vigo. In the EU, people are cleared at passport control at the first place of landing (Madrid), and their luggage is cleared through customs at the final flight arrival destination (Vigo).

So, when I fly from the US to Santiago, via Madrid, I go through passport control at Madrid. Then I have to go through airline security again, before they permit me to proceed to my onward connecting flight to Santiago. Once I arrive at Santiago, I must proceed to a special baggage carousel for people like me, just arriving in the EU / Schengen Zone. Our bags are checked by customs officials there.

This contrasts with other countries, like the US, where everything is done at the first port of arrival, regardless of your connections.

All considered, I do NOT think you have enough time. I say this for two reasons.

1. Madrid Barajas airport is HUGE. Depending on connecting gates and terminals (there are four separate terminals), just getting from one gate to another could easily consume all your time.

2. Getting off the plane and through passport control might only take 10 - 15 minutes, as you must walk a long way to passport control.

4. Then, you might have to wait for the underground tram (terminal 4 > 4S), or walk quite a distance to your connecting flight.

A clear example is my travel to Santiago when I travel from my home in Florida to Santiago. I try to fly Iberia, as (IMHO) it offers the best value for price and easiest connections.

Even with that home field advantage, getting from the arrival gate in T4, through passport control, wait in line for another security screening, then on the underground train to the satellite terminal (T4S), then walking the better part of a kilometer in the satellite terminal to find my departure gate takes at least 45 minutes. And I walk FAST making full use of moving walkways and every shortcut I am away of.

Personally, having learned my lesson, I try to schedule a minimum two-hour connection at Barajas, just so I can freshen up in the restroom and have a decent cup of coffee and a croissant in the morning when I arrive.

This usually works heading over. But two weeks ago, coming home, I literally had to jog between connections, all in Terminal 4, going through departure passport control (WHAT a conga line!) and just made my departure gate...no coffee.

Hope this helps.
Thanks all - I contacted Iberia Airline and they assured me they did the booking to give me sufficient time to get my connection - I can only hope they are correct.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Fingers crossed. Wear comfortable walking running shoes, and do NOT have too much carry-on the tote through the airport. Remember, you will have to pass through security again... NO LIQUIDS.

Fingers crossed. Wear comfortable walking running shoes, and do NOT have too much carry-on the tote through the airport. Remember, you will have to pass through security again... NO LIQUIDS.
Absolutely....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks all - I contacted Iberia Airline and they assured me they did the booking to give me sufficient time to get my connection - I can only hope they are correct.
It sounds like your flights are all one one ticket. That means that the airline has the responsibility to get you to your final destination. The EU has stricter rules for what the airline has to provide in case of delay, such as a hotel and meals if your flight is delayed overnight. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_Compensation_Regulation_261/2004

I advise announcing yourself to the first Iberia person you see coming off the arrival flight into Madrid. Show them you flight itinerary. Let them help you get where you are going.

Trecile is correct that EU rules are tighter, with additional support for passenger rights. The airline must get you to your destination. But they can still take their time doing it. You are trying to start off with minimal drama by making the connection.

Let Iberia assume part of that responsibility. Who knows, they may send you over in an electric cart or know some other shortcut...or not. But nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Hope this helps.

I advise announcing yourself to the first Iberia person you see coming off the arrival flight into Madrid. Show them you flight itinerary. Let them help you get where you are going.

Trecile is correct that EU rules are tighter, with additional support for passenger rights. The airline must get you to your destination. But they can still take their time doing it. You are trying to start off with minimal drama by making the connection.

Let Iberia assume part of that responsibility. Who knows, they may send you over in an electric cart or know some other shortcut...or not. But nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Hope this helps.
This will so help - I will definitely get one of their people to get me through as I do have a through ticket to Vigo.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Cleared Madrid airport a few days ago and it is big. As T2 and others have said you will be cleared at Madrid and your luggage at Vigo.

At Madrid look for the Information Desk buried amongst the shops. Very helpful.

Assume you have a SA passport

Even with that home field advantage, getting from the arrival gate in T4, through passport control, wait in line for another security screening, then on the underground train to the satellite terminal (T4S), then walking the better part of a kilometer in the satellite terminal to find my departure gate takes at least 45 minutes. And I walk FAST making full use of moving walkways and every shortcut I am aware of.

Hope this helps.

I am travelling in August from Chicago to Madrid then on to Pamplona. I am coming in to Madrid at 7:25 am and I am going to book a 9:55 flight out to Pamplona. On the return from Santiago to Madrid am going to book a 7 o'clock flight to Madrid then a 11:35 flight to Chicago.

I think this will work based on your information. Thanks

I am travelling in August from Chicago to Madrid then on to Pamplona. I am coming in to Madrid at 7:25 am and I am going to book a 9:55 flight out to Pamplona. On the return from Santiago to Madrid am going to book a 7 o'clock flight to Madrid then a 11:35 flight to Chicago.

Hi, Susan,

Like @trecile and a few others always advise, you are taking a risk here. What you say sounds like you will have at least two different tickets, a RT to Chicago and then a ticket from Madrid to Pamplona, and one from Santiago to Madrid. If that is the case, and if your first flight in either direction is late, you will lose the second ticket. That’s not such a big deal in the case of the Madrid to Pamplona flight, but if you arrive late for the flight to Chicago, you will both lose your return ticket and have to buy a same day one way ticket. I saw that happen two years ago, and the poor young woman was catatonic. She missed her flight from Madrid because her flight to Madrid from Greece was late.

If you haven’t bought the ticket yet, you should check into the multi-city options. I always fly from Chicago,too, and I can tell you that my ticket last year from Chicago - Madrid-Almeria and the return from Santiago-Madrid -Chicago was not much more than the round trip ticket from Chicago to Madrid. I always fly Iberia, which makes it easy to connect. And having it all on one ticket means that the airline will just rebook me if I miss a connection. I have missed a couple of morning connections in Madrid but I have also made some,so it is just the luck of the draw. For your return, if you are flying on Iberia to Madrid from Santiago, you have a much better chance of making the connection than if you fly on one of the other airlines because they all land in a different terminal.

Good luck with this, the travel part is not the most fun part of the camino, but the anticipation and the adrenaline will keep you going across the ocean! Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

It should work. It is smoother if you fly on AA/IB. Both airlines operate from Terminal 4 at MAD. This makes connections very easy.

This said, everything my friend Peregrina2000 says above is also true..

Hi, Susan,

Like @trecile and a few others always advise, you are taking a risk here. What you say sounds like you will have at least two different tickets, a RT to Chicago and then a ticket from Madrid to Pamplona, and one from Santiago to Madrid. If that is the case, and if your first flight in either direction is late, you will lose the second ticket. That’s not such a big deal in the case of the Madrid to Pamplona flight, but if you arrive late for the flight to Chicago, you will both lose your return ticket and have to buy a same day one way ticket. I saw that happen two years ago, and the poor young woman was catatonic. She missed her flight from Madrid because her flight to Madrid from Greece was late.

If you haven’t bought the ticket yet, you should check into the multi-city options. I always fly from Chicago,too, and I can tell you that my ticket last year from Chicago - Madrid-Almeria and the return from Santiago-Madrid -Chicago was not much more than the round trip ticket from Chicago to Madrid. I always fly Iberia, which makes it easy to connect. And having it all on one ticket means that the airline will just rebook me if I miss a connection. I have missed a couple of morning connections in Madrid but I have also made some,so it is just the luck of the draw. For your return, if you are flying on Iberia to Madrid from Santiago, you have a much better chance of making the connection than if you fly on one of the other airlines because they all land in a different terminal.

Good luck with this, the travel part is not the most fun part of the camino, but the anticipation and the adrenaline will keep you going across the ocean! Buen camino, Laurie
I guess I should have been more specific. I am flying Iberia on all flights and as multi city.

I guess I should have been more specific. I am flying Iberia on all flights and as multi city.

Then you are golden! Don’t worry, if you miss the connection, they will take care of you and rebook you.

And I also should mention that anytime I missed a connection from Madrid, there was always an Iberia person waiting at the exit from the plane with my new rebooked flight info and boarding pass. The service has always been great. Buen camino.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back