Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arriving in Oviedo around 7 pm on June 6th

minaleigh

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2016
Hello, my friend and I completed the Camino Frances in 2016 and now we're tackling the Primitivo. I'm a bit anxious at arriving so "late" in Oviedo and possibly not being able to get beds at the cheaper accommodations. Should I book us two beds to guarantee it, or take our chances? Everything I read about the amount of pilgrims on this route is conflicting, especially with the Camino continuously increasing in popularity. I'm hoping to hear from people who have done the route relatively recently, or during the peak season.

Thanks in advance!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi minaleigh, difficult to answer your question as you don't tell us what time you're arriving! There is only one municipal pilgrim albergue in Oviedo. It has 50 beds, and the reception closes at 9pm. It's first come, first served. All other accommodation in Oviedo is private, so you'd need to book in advance.

Hi minaleigh, difficult to answer your question as you don't tell us what time you're arriving! There is only one municipal pilgrim albergue in Oviedo. It has 50 beds, and the reception closes at 9pm. It's first come, first served. All other accommodation in Oviedo is private, so you'd need to book in advance.

I stated what time I was arriving in the thread headline.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well I think my advice still applies. (It's difficult to know whether all 50 beds will have been snapped up by 7pm. According to last year's statistics, around 70 people walked the Primitivo per day in June. No idea whether they will all be checking into the pilgrim albergue in Oviedo the first night).

Last edited:
Hi. I arrived in Oviedo in June at about 7pm after the San Salvador. No problem getting a bed at the municipal. That was 2 years ago. But it is luck of the draw really. If you're on a budget or just want the experience of the albergue then I say take the risk. If it doesn't work out I'm sure you will still find somewhere. As long as it isn't a national holiday or something!

Yeah, as Phil says, it's a hit or a miss. I spend a fair amount of time walking in the region and have been turned away from the albergue a couple of times as it's been full. However there don't seem to be any major festivals on, and early June isn't really "high season" yet. The albergues tend to get quite busy with locals who like to do sections of the camino over the weekend, but I see you're getting there on Thursday so should in theory be fine. So it's really up to you whether or not you want to risk it. Maybe go onto booking.com a couple of days before arrival to see how busy the city is (they will tell you the % of places that have already been booked), and to get the names of a couple of hotels as a back-up plan.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I slept last night in Albergue la Peregrina. It is private and you can do a reservation 687 133 932. It is on C Cavadonga 8 about 400 m from the Cathedral. There are 36 beds and costs 15 €. The place is clean and pilgrim friendly

I’m arriving same evening. I booked in Pension Romero. It seems that you might already be worrying, so maybe for peace of mind book a pension for your first night. Maybe see you on the trail🙂

We stayed at the AC Marriott right at the train station. The Camino goes right past it. Excellent accommodations but probably not in the price range you want. I always reserve the first and last days so I don’t have to hunt for a hotel room when We start or end a Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Like @alaskadiver, I always book a private room when I arrive from the US. For me, the ability to sleep without the albergue “enhancements” means I don’t need to take a day to get over jet lag and I just start walking the next day.

Oviedo has really ratcheted up its hotel offerings, with lots more tourists. It has a huge range of prices and facilities. I have several times just booked something last minute when I’m a day out of Oviedo on the Salvador or Norte, and have always been able to snag a very nice room in the 40 € range. But that means I have been lucky not to coincide with some special weekend or fiesta.

Buen camino @minaleigh, Laurie

We started our Camino Primotivo on May 1 and accommodations were pretty available. We did reserve a private room at Hotel Romero only 35 Euros for 2 of us. It is 1 block off the Camino and very close to the bus station and cathedral.

Thank you for all the replies! I think I will end up booking something. With having less than two hours between arriving and when they close the reception (according to Gronze), I don't want to risk not making it to the municipal. You've all been a great help!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There are plenty of options for beds. Depends on your state of mind. The big albergue might have space, but maybe not. I suggest you have a few hotels lined up, with their own phone numbers, and if the albergue is full, either ring them, or go to them. Show them your homework - we found a price online that they honoured when I showed it to them, in the Gran Hotel Regente. It was perfectly fine, with a great buffet breakfast, and also very near the Cathedral. If you prefer to be sure of a bed, just do your homework: Oviedo is a small city and using google maps you can easily see what is near the Cathedral, or the Camino path...and make your phone calls and book. All the best, and Buen Camino...

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back