• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arriving in Pamplona

Ymanning

Time of past OR future Camino
May 15 (2013)
Couple things: how to get to SJPP from Pamplona? and can I stay in an albergue in Pamplona and then headout to SJPP? If so, do I need to show my pilgrims passport?

Thanks for your help!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Get a taxi
http://www.taxipamplona.com/servicios_en.html

I booked mine on line and they speak English. They can pick you up anywhere from Pamplona so I asked them to pick me up from the airport and take me all the way to SJPDP. It costs E105.. There are 2 of us so we split the cost. It saves you time as you can get there in 2 hours.

Then you have plenty of time to rest before you walk.

I didnt want the hassle of getting a bus, a train, walking, hitch hiking... forget that..

Good Luck!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hello there ,
You may want to 'search' for the many threads in getting to SJPDP - there is piles of advice , options and info.
As for your first night in an Albergue in Pamplona, well we all start from somewhere at some stage. I have travelled to Roncesvalles , Pamplona and Burgos and spent my first night there. Each time I've been given a bunk and issued a credencial at a nominal price. However , do not take this for granted as I walk during quieter times , spring or autumn. When volumes are high the Albergues may favour Pilgrims who have spent the whole day walking.
There is no need to stress :D There are a number of private Albergues, pensions and hostals options open to you in Pamplona that will only be too pleased to take you in.This may be the best option for you especially if you are arriving later at night.
And then of course you don't have to get out and go at 7 or 8am but sleep in and prepare yourself for the rest of the day.
Finally , You may want to 'Tripadvisor' the 'Pension Escaray' which I use at least once a year - at €20 for a single room it can work out to be the same price as some of the private albergues now opening up.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
can I stay in an albergue in Pamplona and then headout to SJPP? If so, do I need to show my pilgrims passport?
There are several albergues in Pamplona, so there is not a single answer to those questions. Jesus y Maria requires a credential and will sell you one on the spot. I have arrived from the airport with a credential and been told that only those who have walked in are entitled to stay. I was then admitted because it was a slow time of year. It is under new management now, so the paradox may be gone. Paderborn is also a municipal albergue, so a credential is required. The newer albergues are private and set their own rules. Check here for information that they have provided to Eroski

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/eta ... a-pamplona

lynettefoo said:
It costs E105.. There are 2 of us so we split the cost. It saves you time as you can get there in 2 hours.

Then you have plenty of time to rest before you walk.

I didnt want the hassle of getting a bus, a train, walking, hitch hiking... forget that..

Good Luck!

WOW! To think that I paid 9 Euros for a van ride from the Pamplona Bus Station to SJPDP (45 minutes away, not 2 hours...), no hassle whatsoever to get to Pamplona from Barcelona (bus ride at 24 Euros), and had plenty time to explore beautiful SJPDP before starting the walk the next day. A total of 33 Euros hassle -free transport Barcelona to Pamplona--- I think I got a REAL bargain.... 8)

Olivares said:
WOW! To think that I paid 9 Euros for a van ride from the Pamplona Bus Station to SJPDP 8)
I'm not sure if this van still operates? Reading in between the lines , I think the Pamplona taxis complained about a 'French' van poaching Spanish rides - one can perhaps understand this considering the current economic climate. What we need is a bonafide Spanish van to take on the task? ............ then the French will complain. :mrgreen:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
RENSHAW said:
Olivares said:
WOW! To think that I paid 9 Euros for a van ride from the Pamplona Bus Station to SJPDP 8)
I'm not sure if this van still operates? Reading in between the lines , I think the Pamplona taxis complained about a 'French' van poaching Spanish rides - one can perhaps understand this considering the current economic climate. What we need is a bonafide Spanish van to take on the task?

Yes, the van ride was in fact the Express Bouricott from SJPDP. I believe this service will be reinstated come May 2014. Seriously, I feel for the Spaniards on this economic crisis and such, but there is such a thing as "milking the Pilgrims"-- 150 Euros taxi ride Pamplona-SJPDP sounds a bit excessive. Just saying.

It reminds me something I read-- in the 11th Century the pilgrims had to be ferried over the River Arga when they got to the locality that is today Puente la Reina. Pilgrims were often overcharged and taken advantage of. To assist the pilgrims, Queen Doña Mayor directed the construction of a bridge, which is the spectacular and iconic Puente La Reina that 21st Century pilgrims still use today.

I refused to think that in España La Catolica one would not find today a Queen Doña Mayor... :?

a van ride from the Pamplona Bus Station to SJPDP (45 minutes away, not 2 hours...)
He had it in afterburner! The distance is 77.6 km and takes everyone else 1:24. Buses take a bit longer because they follow a route with stops in small towns.
Suggested routes

77.6 km, 1 hour 24 mins
N-135
94.3 km, 1 hour 34 mins
NA-2330 and N-135

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back