• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arriving in Santiago (21.40) Straight to sarria? or stay in

derobyrne

Hi All,

Just looking for some advice on best course of action for starting our walk. We arrive in Santiago via Madrid at 21.40 on a Saturday night with a view to starting or walk in Sarria - is it best to go straight to Sarria or stay in Santiago for one night and bus it the next day, If we do bus it and begin walk immediately from Sarria how is it possible to transfer luggage to our next stop if we have not spent the night in Sarria? Also travelling in late Aug and was thinking of booking first and last nights accommodation and doing the rest as we go - is this risky at this time of the year

Any help much appreciated

Derek

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Re: Arriving in Santiago (21.40) Straight to sarria? or stay in

Hi Derek!

You don't say if your flight home is already booked which could limit your time. If time isn't a problem I'd just stay in Santiago to get over whatever journey you've gone through! Bus to Lugo and taxi to Sarria might get you started the next day reasonably early.

When you talk about transferring luggage do you mean sending it to your next stop each day, or sending it to Santiago before you start?

Buen Camino!

I guess you have to stay in Santiago, last bus to Lugo depart at 20:00on Saturdays arriving aLugo at 21:55

Select origin: Santiago de Compostela
Select destination: Lugo

Available buses:

July the 27, 2012, Friday.

Depart.
Arrivals
Days of service
Route
7:00
9:00
SMTWTFS
Santiago-Lugo
9:15
11:25
MTWTF
Santiago-Lugo
11:00
12:35
MTWTF
Santiago-Lugo
11:00
13:00
SMTWTFS
Santiago-Lugo
12:45
14:35
MTWTFS
Santiago-Lugo
14:30
16:10
MTWTF
Santiago-Lugo
16:00
18:05
SMTWTFS
Santiago-Lugo
17:00
18:35
SMTWTFS
Santiago-Lugo
18:30
20:30
SMTWTFS
Santiago-Lugo
20:00
21:55
MTWTFS
Santiago-Lugo

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

The end of August will be busy, so booking ahead will be a good idea. Your arrival will be too late for the albergues, so look for a hostal for your first night in Santiago. Other topics make some good recommendation. When you make your reservations, tell them about your late arrival time.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

derobyrne said:
We arrive in Santiago via Madrid at 21.40 on a Saturday night with a view to starting or walk in Sarria - is it best to go straight to Sarria or stay in Santiago for one night and bus it the next day,
By the time you checked out of the airport and took the bus to Santiago, you'll have no other choice but to stay there overnight. Next morning, Sunday, take the first bus (from the same Estación de autobuses where you arrived the night before) to Lugo, and from there a taxi to Sarria (no other option). You may want to walk (one hour) to Barbadelo for example and then the remaining 5 or 6 days to Santiago. End of August is a busy time but there is sufficient accommodation of one sort or the other all along the path.
Make sure of your reservation in Santiago :!:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I would confirm that there are buses from Lugo to Sarria, as I have taken one! The Sarria bus station is about 15-20 minutes walk to the older part of the town where Camino passes through and the the albergues and hostales can be found.

If you stay in Santiago the first night I expect that you could find a place that will hold your "excess" luggage until you return.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back